PDA

View Full Version : Anyone considering delaying start date?

toenail
02-10-2010, 13:57
Considering the horrible weather conditions, are any thru-hikers thinking of delaying their start date? The low temp. in Georgia won't get into the 30's for the next 10 days. I am a cold sleeper, I would need a zero degree bag for that kind of extended period.

BrianLe
02-10-2010, 14:53
I'm crossing my fingers for at least somewhat of a warming trend by the time I start (Feb 25th), but barring some pretty serious weather I expect I'll get on trail on schedule and just deal with what comes along. This sort of weather is something that an ~early starter has to anticipate can happen at this time of year, so if it actually is happening I don't think a person with adequate gear and a modicum of cold weather experience needs to wait it out. And given the nature of the AT, there are more bail out options than on other long trails if it should degrade further.

Perhaps I'll be impatiently waiting in a cheap motel or hostel in 2-1/2 weeks, regretting the above blithe words, but with travel and initial lodging arrangements made and two others starting with me it just seems to make a lot more sense to go and hope for happier weather ahead.

toenail
02-10-2010, 15:28
Should be a general warming trend by then. I wonder how much snow is in the smokies?

whistle dixie
02-10-2010, 15:34
just checked the weather in the smokies and they are still under blizzard warnings

SurferNerd
02-10-2010, 15:52
I'm hoping it warms up by the 28th. I've vowed to go rain or shine, but feet of snow...hmm, maybe backwards a week or so.

Maddog
02-10-2010, 15:58
i'll be on the at on feb 28 no matter what! good luck guys and gals! maddog

4shot
02-10-2010, 16:19
As I've said elsewhere, I was thinking about late March/early April for other reasons but have been getting itchy. I was thinking about pulling it up but I will watch the weather closely - I'm lucky to have the flexibilty. I have shaken out my gear under some extremely cold conditions over the last several months and have confidence in my stuff. What has been different for us here in the South this year is the endless cold - we usually get some breaks between cold spells. To tell you the truth, that condition (day after day) of cold/snow would be difficult for me mentally. After research,I understand going in the odds so I figure why make it more difficult on myself given that I am flexible.The only possible advantage to me of a Feb. start date is allowing for a more relaxed hike and just getting started. I feel like I'm sort of on hold at the moment. Good luck

Panzer1
02-10-2010, 16:31
I would not start unless the weather was "good enough to start".
Please supply your own definition of what "good enough to start" means.

Panzer

Panzer1
02-10-2010, 16:38
also, if the weather is so bad that you decide to get a room, it will cost you more money. That will be money that could have been put to better use.

People who start in bad weather end up spending more money than those who wait for good weather.
If money is not an issue then go for it. Anyway, I think the the best part of being on the trail is when I go into town.:D

Panzer

Cool AT Breeze
02-10-2010, 16:39
I woulden't want to be hiking in GA today.

Panzer1
02-10-2010, 16:47
I woulden't want to be hiking in GA today.

At least you wouldn't have to shovel any snow.:banana

Panzer

Tinker
02-10-2010, 17:20
It's an "El Nino" (sorry, but I don't have access to Spanish accent punctuation) year.
ANY kind of weather is possible. My guess is that, as soon as the snowstorms disappear there will be monsoon rains and tornadic storms (but at least there'll be plenty of water:)).
Good luck out there! Be safe.

AUhiker90
02-10-2010, 19:08
Yeah i moved my start from the end of Feb to early march and I am sure it willl still be incredibly cold.

BrianLe
02-10-2010, 19:20
Cool AT Breeze, I'm sure I'm not alone in appreciating any insights from you there at Neels Gap. Much snow there now? When snow stops is it reasonable to assume that fairly quickly people will be making tracks (that can be followed) on the AT, or is navigation a challenge just now?

Since you're at just over 3000', I figure any data from you is better than, say, a weather report for Atlanta ...

Cool AT Breeze
02-10-2010, 20:42
No snow on the ground here. There is ice on alot of the rocks, much worse than snow IMHO. The temps with this wind is another thing to deal with. It's cold out there.

Jester2000
02-10-2010, 20:51
For those venturing out into snowiness, keep in mind that you want to pay a little closer attention to the trail itself.

Hopefully the route will have the footprints of others ahead, but if not keep in mind that white blazes can be harder to see in snow conditions, particularly if wind is causing the tree trunks to get coated.

Keep an eye out for signs of trail maintenance -- sawed or lopped limbs, for example, and don't be afraid to look silly by stopping and setting up camp if you think you might have gotten off trail and lost.

I know everyone says that the trail is easy to navigate, but that isn't always true in certain places and in certain conditions.

Hobbot
02-10-2010, 20:58
Cool AT Breeze, I also appreciate the updates. I had not anticipated the need for snowshoes, but based on what you say in the next couple weeks before I head out I may reconsider.

For those venturing out into snowiness, keep in mind that you want to pay a little closer attention to the trail itself.

Yea, I was out around New Year's on the AT in VT. I had to frequently stop and backtrack to make sure I was still on the trail. White trail markers on snow covered trees becomes a game of "Where's Waldo?"

Cool AT Breeze
02-10-2010, 21:29
I'll try and keep GA trail conditions up dated. Once we get busy I wont have a chance. But if we're busy' no need for updates.

10-K
02-10-2010, 21:33

Hopefully the route will have the footprints of others ahead, but if not keep in mind that white blazes can be harder to see in snow conditions, particularly if wind is causing the tree trunks to get coated.

Keep an eye out for signs of trail maintenance -- sawed or lopped limbs, for example, and don't be afraid to look silly by stopping and setting up camp if you think you might have gotten off trail and lost.

I know everyone says that the trail is easy to navigate, but that isn't always true in certain places and in certain conditions.

Good suggestions...

I have absolutely no idea if anybody will get this but what works for me when I'm hiking in snow and can't find the trail I mentally divide the area around me into quadrants. I look at each quadrant and ask myself if the trail could go through that quadrant.

Most of the time I can eliminate 50-75% of the area around me just by doing that....

sasquatch2014
02-11-2010, 08:40

Good suggestions...

I have absolutely no idea if anybody will get this but what works for me when I'm hiking in snow and can't find the trail I mentally divide the area around me into quadrants. I look at each quadrant and ask myself if the trail could go through that quadrant.

Most of the time I can eliminate 50-75% of the area around me just by doing that....

I find running around in an ever increasingly larger circle screaming " Oh My God! Oh My God!" until I find a tree with a blaze at which point I kiss the blaze while hugging the tree and yell "Thank God!" seems to work ok as well. It is a bit embarrassing when you do this is town so try and pay attention most town people already think we are a bit off.

curtisvowen
02-11-2010, 09:48
Just came off of Snowbird/Max Patch area yesterday helping a section hiker get out of the mountains.
1' of snow drifts. The amount of blow-downs was crazy. Try 1 mile per hr. hiking for all day.

Blissful
02-11-2010, 11:11
Considering the horrible weather conditions, are any thru-hikers thinking of delaying their start date? The low temp. in Georgia won't get into the 30's for the next 10 days. I am a cold sleeper, I would need a zero degree bag for that kind of extended period.

Should have that kind of bag anyway for a Feb start.

Blissful
02-11-2010, 11:12
This is the year to consider a nice early April start. Probably will be like starting early March anyway. This winter is crazy. And agree, for you early starters, better have extra cash on hand to be snowbound and weatherbound.

Lillianp
02-11-2010, 11:23
I'm considering pushing it back a few days to a week-though I think I have to make my decision pretty soon.

Lilred
02-11-2010, 11:23
I find running around in an ever increasingly larger circle screaming " Oh My God! Oh My God!" until I find a tree with a blaze at which point I kiss the blaze while hugging the tree and yell "Thank God!" seems to work ok as well. It is a bit embarrassing when you do this is town so try and pay attention most town people already think we are a bit off.

Thanks for the laugh!!! I can actually see myself doing something like that!! LOLOLOL

10-K
02-11-2010, 11:24
I find running around in an ever increasingly larger circle screaming " Oh My God! Oh My God!" until I find a tree with a blaze at which point I kiss the blaze while hugging the tree and yell "Thank God!" seems to work ok as well. .

That was me somewhere around Prospect Rock.. :)

prain4u
02-11-2010, 11:55
Start your thru hike when the trail conditions, the weather, and your "gut" say that it is the right time--don't let some arbitrary date the calendar dictate your start. The trail will still be there next week!

Cakon
02-11-2010, 12:23
One mile an hour, that one more than I am doing now. Yea, I know the weather is going to suck. I may be stuck in towns. I will be cold and might lose the trail from time to time. My pack will be heavier than I want because of the extra gear. I may have to call home for my snow gear. But I tell ya what, its a lot better that sittin here on my butt wishin I was on the trail.

I am glad to hear that you can see the ground at Neels Gap. I haven't seen the ground since early December.

I do have to put in that with the right gear snow is easier to deal with than rain.

Cool AT Breeze
02-11-2010, 13:15
Snow is awesome to hike in, ice will stop you in your tracks.

DAJA
02-11-2010, 13:22
One mile an hour, that one more than I am doing now. Yea, I know the weather is going to suck. I may be stuck in towns. I will be cold and might lose the trail from time to time. My pack will be heavier than I want because of the extra gear. I may have to call home for my snow gear. But I tell ya what, its a lot better that sittin here on my butt wishin I was on the trail.

I am glad to hear that you can see the ground at Neels Gap. I haven't seen the ground since early December.

I do have to put in that with the right gear snow is easier to deal with than rain.

Agread, with some experience, a good attitude and some gear, snow is way more enjoyable than rain. Snow is just plain fun! So bummed that my region has been denied snow this winter. Strange days indeed! I'm hoping there's still lots of snow on the trail in NC in early April when I do my section. I know it's unlikely but I've been snow deprived.

max patch
02-11-2010, 13:30
Considering the horrible weather conditions, are any thru-hikers thinking of delaying their start date?

Anyone who adequately planned their trip would not change their start date. If you start in February you will run into this type of weather at some point. If not at Springer, then maybe a week up the trail, or even weather much worse than what is at Springer when you hit the GSMNP. Anyone starting now should already be prepared for what Georgia is currently experiencing. This is nothing unusual for this time of year.

Jester2000
02-11-2010, 13:39
There are, I would think, many people who may decide to push back their start date not because they're unprepared for bad weather, or because they'd be in danger, but because they don't think slogging through snow day in and day out will be all that fun.

I think my rule of never leaving a dry place for a wet place unless absolutely necessary applies here. Unless you have time constraints, why not push it back a week or two?

I'd rather be happy on the trail a bit later than miserable right now.

Cool AT Breeze
02-11-2010, 13:46
Anyone who adequately planned their trip would not change their start date. If you start in February you will run into this type of weather at some point. If not at Springer, then maybe a week up the trail, or even weather much worse than what is at Springer when you hit the GSMNP. Anyone starting now should already be prepared for what Georgia is currently experiencing. This is nothing unusual for this time of year.
The biggest difference I am seeing is the long periods of cold temps. The last few years it has not stayed below freezing for weeks at a time like this year.

juma
02-11-2010, 13:47
Just came off of Snowbird/Max Patch area yesterday helping a section hiker get out of the mountains.
1' of snow drifts. The amount of blow-downs was crazy. Try 1 mile per hr. hiking for all day.

U da MAN, Curtis!

max patch
02-11-2010, 14:00
Anyone starting now should already be prepared for what Georgia is currently experiencing. This is nothing unusual for this time of year.

I'm going to emphasize this.

If you are starting in Feb and you are not carrying gear to hike safely in the current conditions in Ga. then you need to reevaluate what you are carrying. The current conditions will improve - however - I can assure you that at some point they will be repeated. Almost certainly when the GSMNP is reached.

Jester2000
02-11-2010, 14:42
I'm going to emphasize this.

If you are starting in Feb and you are not carrying gear to hike safely in the current conditions in Ga. then you need to reevaluate what you are carrying. The current conditions will improve - however - I can assure you that at some point they will be repeated. Almost certainly when the GSMNP is reached.

This is an important point. I've noticed over the past few years that start dates seem to be getting earlier and earlier, and a start date that would have been considered very early in 2000 is now considered pretty normal.

And yet I haven't seen many hikers adjust their gear to take into account, at the very least, the potential for dangerous conditions with these earlier start dates. While we've had some rather rainy years in the past few, this seems to be the first year in a while that has the potential to get some people in serious trouble. Last year starting out with a 30 degree bag in February or early March might have only made one uncomfortable at first, regardless of how inadvisable it may have been.

This year? Bad idea. Be prepared, whenever you choose to start.

Jack Tarlin
02-11-2010, 14:53
Max and Jester are exactly right about the need to carry the right gear and clothing if you're starting early.

People should also make sure they're carrying an extra $500.00, too, as it is inevitable that longer and more protracted periods of poor weather will result in longer, more frequent, and in many cases, unplanned town stops and town overnighting.

The funny thing is that so many early starters say they want to be "ahead of the main pack" and figure they can do this with a mid-February start. Unfortunately, in many years, poor weather results in lower daily hiking mileage, abbreviated hiking days, late starts and early finishes to your hiking day, and most of all, it means more time spent off the Trail. In many cases, people end up getting passed by folks who started a week or two AFTER them, i.e. the "pack" catches up with some folks. In short, an early start, in many cases, means that you have a rough couple of early weeks; you're not necessarily spending more time in "solitude" (especially if you're in a shelter every night with 14 other folks!!), and you end up spending way too much time and money in town.

There are also, sadly, people who get so discouraged and down-trodden by bad/rough weather that they decide to prematurely end their hikes and go home. One can't help but wonder how many of these people would have stayed the course and completed their journeys if only their first few weeks weren't so difficult.

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 17:24

We are having our worst winter in over 30 years.

DAJA
02-11-2010, 17:28

Fair enough, but again, it's all relative. It may be "your" worst winter in over 30yrs, but coming from my climate, it is business as usual... We thrive in such weather... Only hope such conditions will hold till April when I hit the trail...

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 17:31
There is over 1.5 feet of snow on trail right now in the Sams Gap area and more on Big Bald. We have no snow on the ground in AVL. We got lucky. Up around Roan and Unaka, over a foot of snow. Plan on lower mileage. Invest in Yaktraks ($30). A smaller storm is coming from texas on Sun, into monday. Temps are supposed to go up next week and the sun will come out. Also, there are a lot and I mean a lot of significant blow downs this year. Huge gaps in the trail from uproots and washouts.

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 17:33
Fair enough, but again, it's all relative. It may be "your" worst winter in over 30yrs, but coming from my climate, it is business as usual... We thrive in such weather... Only hope such conditions will hold till April when I hit the trail...

Im just responding to the "usual" weather comment. Its never like this here!!!! Also not everyone hiking this year is from NB. Just sayin, be prepared for anything.

DAJA
02-11-2010, 17:35
There is over 1.5 feet of snow on trail right now in the Sams Gap area and more on Big Bald. We have no snow on the ground in AVL. We got lucky. Up around Roan and Unaka, over a foot of snow. Plan on lower mileage. Invest in Yaktraks ($30). A smaller storm is coming from texas on Sun, into monday. Temps are supposed to go up next week and the sun will come out. Also, there are a lot and I mean a lot of significant blow downs this year. Huge gaps in the trail from uproots and washouts.

As one who prefers to bushwack to trail walking, and accustomed to feet if not meters of snow, it all sounds delightful! Milage is for thru hikers, i'm just out to be out!
I'm so disappointed about the lack of snow we've experienced this winter, I'm itching to make tracks in loads of snow!

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 17:38
As one who prefers to bushwack to trail walking, and accustomed to feet if not meters of snow, it all sounds delightful! Milage is for thru hikers, i'm just out to be out!
I'm so disappointed about the lack of snow we've experienced this winter, I'm itching to make tracks in loads of snow!

Well you are a minority. A huge population of Thru's that start at Springer have no clue what they are getting into and by the time they make it to Winton's they are done! I think we will see lower numbers at Harpers this summer.

max patch
02-11-2010, 17:40

Nope. Typical winter. Gets cold every year for a period of time.

Anyone here remember 1993? Three feet of snow on Springer. Rangers evacuated hikers -- even some who wanted to stay. Atlanta airport closed down.

bredler
02-11-2010, 17:49

Anyone here remember 1993? Three feet of snow on Springer. Rangers evacuated hikers -- even some who wanted to stay. Atlanta airport closed down.

In 1993 up by Washington, DC we had almost four feet of snow come down in about a day and a half. That was a crazy winter for the whole eastern seaboard.

I'm doing section starting Feb 26 and going til March 6 or 7 from Springer up. The weather reports are calling for daytime temps in the upper 40s and low 50s then, regardless of what it is now. Hopefully trail conditions will be decent...cause I'm going!:banana

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 17:52

Ok you are right once again. Im wrong. Wont happen again.

Bearpaw
02-11-2010, 17:53
The smart money this year would be to wait a while to start. Mid-February this year is a good bit rougher than usual.

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 17:55

We have increased our snowfall by 220% according to our averages

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 17:56
We have increased our snowfall by 220% according to our averages

Doesnt seem too typical Max. But then again, you have to think you are right about EVERYTHING, so you are right dude.

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 18:00
Anyway, the point is just play it smart. By the time hikers get here, it will be much warmer and most of the snow will be gone. Just know that blowdowns will be a concern until our kick ass volunteers and trail crews get out.

Jester2000
02-11-2010, 18:13
If you have to tick back 17 years to come up with a worse winter, it's probably not typical.

Cool AT Breeze
02-11-2010, 18:18
Today was great for anyone hiking around here. The wind blew and was cold this morning. This afternoon was sunny and felt warm. Tonight and tomorow back to cold and snow. I think I'm going to hike to Bull Gap right now.

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 18:21
Today was great for anyone hiking around here. The wind blew and was cold this morning. This afternoon was sunny and felt warm. Tonight and tomorow back to cold and snow. I think I'm going to hike to Bull Gap right now.

Windchill here is 5.
May have to head up to Hot Springs tomorrow for a little Valentine Hike up Lovers Leap!

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 18:26
20 degrees below average. We have been below average all winter.

HeartFire
02-11-2010, 18:28
http://www.highcountrywebcams.com/webcameras_LookRock.htm

this link is for a web cam in the park.

Should be a general warming trend by then. I wonder how much snow is in the smokies?

AggieAl
02-11-2010, 18:39
Thanks to Cool AT Breeze for the updates.

I have a Feb. 21st start. My sense is that even if I waited 2-3 weeks I am still likely to hit some ugly weather this year. I am adding some extra clothes and using winter boots.

I was thinking of adding in some instep crampons. (lightweight , four point) for icy parts. Is that a good idea for this year?

I have been caught in two white out blizzards in Colorado, which I did not enjoy but I did survive.

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 18:54
Shining Rock gives a good perspective of what we have.
http://www.highcountrywebcams.com/webcameras_ShiningRock.htm

Jester2000
02-11-2010, 19:04
I was thinking of adding in some instep crampons. (lightweight , four point) for icy parts. Is that a good idea for this year?

It couldn't hurt, and they're pretty light. Snow is annoying at times, but ice can be dangerous.

Cool AT Breeze
02-11-2010, 19:05
Thanks to Cool AT Breeze for the updates.

I have a Feb. 21st start. My sense is that even if I waited 2-3 weeks I am still likely to hit some ugly weather this year. I am adding some extra clothes and using winter boots.

I have been caught in two white out blizzards in Colorado, which I did not enjoy but I did survive.
Insteps will get you out if you have to move in icy conditions. There not cmfortable to walk any distance in. Both times I've been cought in ice I've been able to wait a day for most of the ice to melt. This year it's been staying cold longer so the ice dosen't melt right away.

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 19:12
Insteps will get you out if you have to move in icy conditions. There not cmfortable to walk any distance in. Both times I've been cought in ice I've been able to wait a day for most of the ice to melt. This year it's been staying cold longer so the ice dosen't melt right away.

Yaktraks Pro work good

GeneralLee10
02-11-2010, 19:22
You guys are scaring me:eek:. I mite as well bring my Carhartt Suit along with my -100deg boots. They are in storage:-? JK

On the serious side, I most likely I will carry more than I planned on at the start. I know for a fact that 1' snow is not fun to walk in. Cool Breeze thanks for the info man, You guys going to be playing drums in March:D

Cool AT Breeze
02-11-2010, 20:07
Look me up, light a fire out back, i'll bring my drums.

mikec
02-11-2010, 20:11
I section hiked from GA to VA in 1999 and went through 6 snow storms including 14 inches on Clingman's Dome. The key is to keep listening to the weather reports and get to a town when it is about to snow. I started out with a 30 degree bag at Springer and had to buy a 0 degree bag at Walesi Yi because I was so cold. Good luck to all of you.

Cool AT Breeze
02-11-2010, 20:23
The one mile hike up to Bull Gap was cool. No snow or blow downs. There was snow and ice down near the water source.

sasquatch2014
02-11-2010, 20:25
everyone is talking about what HAS happened but none of us really know what will happen. As crazy as everything is we could start a warming trend that will put all of us above average within a month. Will this happens not sure could it happen sure. Why sit and wait to see if you are ready you are ready. Be smart be prepared and have fun. Wish I could be heading out for 6 months right now instead I'll be banging out section just like have in the past in pretty much every month and every condition. All seasons are good if you are ready for them.

Snowleopard
02-11-2010, 20:26
Yaktraks Pro work good
If it looks to be icy some traction would be good. Up here people have been switching to Kahtoola Microspikes, work better and more reliable than Yaktraks or Stabilicers (but if you have either of those already, bring them if it's icy).
Instep crampons work well, but it feels like you've got a small piece of 2x4 strapped to the middle of your shoe (again, if you've already got them, bring them).

How much snow is there down there?

max patch
02-11-2010, 20:28
How much snow is there down there?

None.

That is supposed to change tomorrow.

Cool AT Breeze
02-11-2010, 20:44
There is snow and ice at high elevations. The road to Hog Pen is closed due to ice. We are at 3125 ft. and have no snow.

max patch
02-11-2010, 20:56
That is supposed to change tomorrow.

Perhaps not. The storm that is hitting Atlanta tomorrow with a potential of 3 inches of snow is only supposed to give a "dusting" to the north ga mountains according to the NWS.

toenail
02-11-2010, 21:30
Should have that kind of bag anyway for a Feb start.

Your right blissful, my cold weather bag is a marmot pinnacle 15 degree bag. I normally sleep in my down coat when it gets in the low-twenties. But my hiking gear isn't setup for extended cold periods. I think a lot of hikers are setup just like me, a 20 degree bag and a coat. You can tough out bad days, but 10 bad days in a row can knock you off the trail.

Lone Wolf
02-11-2010, 21:38
Your right blissful, my cold weather bag is a marmot pinnacle 15 degree bag. I normally sleep in my down coat when it gets in the low-twenties. But my hiking gear isn't setup for extended cold periods. I think a lot of hikers are setup just like me, a 20 degree bag and a coat. You can tough out bad days, but 10 bad days in a row can knock you off the trail.

do you sleep in a tent?

toenail
02-11-2010, 21:53
do you sleep in a tent?

MSR missing link. Found out I had cancer, after the chemo and radiation I'm always cold. We'll be section hiking near Roanoke in late May and we can't wait to get back out on the trail.

whistle dixie
02-11-2010, 22:24
it seems to me if a person is willing to go out in weather like this they are well prepaired for the weather to come. i'm leaving the 21'st of this month. i would rather be going ahead and getting started before something comes up and i can't go

__________________________________________________ ______________________

if it was easy everybody would do it!!!!

have fun and god bless everybody.

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 22:57
it seems to me if a person is willing to go out in weather like this they are well prepaired for the weather to come. i'm leaving the 21'st of this month. i would rather be going ahead and getting started before something comes up and i can't go

__________________________________________________ ______________________

if it was easy everybody would do it!!!!

have fun and god bless everybody.

Yea but there is willing then there is unprepared. Its not just mental when it comes to snow and ice, especially for someone that hasnt got much experience in it.

whistle dixie
02-11-2010, 23:30
Yea but there is willing then there is unprepared. Its not just mental when it comes to snow and ice, especially for someone that hasnt got much experience in it.

i totally agree with you on dealing with snow and ice. but let me ask you. would you rather walk in snow or mud?:confused:

Cool AT Breeze
02-11-2010, 23:32
Snow, it's not as slippery and it doesen't make your boots heavier.

Lillianp
02-11-2010, 23:59
Well, at least I know my bag will keep me warm, so long as it's dry-0 degree down. Still thinking on delaying a few days, but that may just be nerves. I'll probably have a few discussions with random other hikers I know to make the decision.

whistle dixie
02-12-2010, 00:03
thats kindof what i was thinking i'm much more willing to deal with a little snow on my first month rather than the mud the snow is going to make next month. but different strokes for different folks. enjoy whatever condition you'll face on the trail, i will.

Slo-go'en
02-12-2010, 00:05
it seems to me if a person is willing to go out in weather like this they are well prepaired for the weather to come.

Problem is, many think they are prepared for it and think they can handle it, then after a few days or a week in it, find out they can't. You got to be pretty tough to deal with harsh trail conditions and cold temps for days and weeks at a time.

It does look like these storms down south are not slowing down and not going to warm up real soon, so the stuff which is up high is going to linger for awhile.

Will this be the year of no summer? Not likely, but who knows - we are sort of heading into the next ice age and global warming can put it off for only so long..

wudhipy
02-12-2010, 00:19
To those leaving on the 28th I thank you....i'll be leaving the first...don't forget to take the shovels and salt on the inclines...lol...look people, let's just put on our packs and hit the trail. :rolleyes:

whistle dixie
02-12-2010, 00:34
To those leaving on the 28th I thank you....i'll be leaving the first...don't forget to take the shovels and salt on the inclines...lol...look people, let's just put on our packs and hit the trail. :rolleyes:

hope to see another fellow kentuckian on the trail. be safe and god bless

Hobbot
02-12-2010, 10:24

I'll be right behind you (leaving the 2nd), so thanks for covering anything they miss :) Hmm, I should practice using my pack as a sled...

max patch
02-12-2010, 10:26
If you have to tick back 17 years to come up with a worse winter, it's probably not typical.

The blizzard of 93 was an oh so easy rebuttal to the "worst winter in 30 years" comment. Its February and its cold. Happens every year.

I just finished my run at Kennesaw Mountain before this afternoons snow hits. 34 degrees. Felt good.

I think people are extrapolating the 30 inches D.C. and other areas got to Springer Mountain.

Hobbot
02-12-2010, 10:26
Will this be the year of no summer? Not likely, but who knows - we are sort of heading into the next ice age and global warming can put it off for only so long..

I can only hope...that would be fantastic.

Chaco Taco
02-12-2010, 10:57
The blizzard of 93 was an oh so easy rebuttal to the "worst winter in 30 years" comment. Its February and its cold. Happens every year.

I just finished my run at Kennesaw Mountain before this afternoons snow hits. 34 degrees. Felt good.

I think people are extrapolating the 30 inches D.C. and other areas got to Springer Mountain.
What Im sayin Max Patch is that this weather pattern is NOT normal for this time of year in NC. We are consistently at 20 degrees below normal. Snow never falls here. Yea and remember the "Blizzard" of 93 was 17 years ago. That was one snow fall, we have had 3 major storms hit our area.
Not comparing the snowfall in DC to us. Never even mentioned DC. The only running you are doing is with your friggin mouth.

4shot
02-12-2010, 11:41
What Im sayin Max Patch is that this weather pattern is NOT normal for this time of year in NC.

I've read and reread this thread as I try to buttown down the last few details and decide when to head to Springer but now I can't tell if the weather pattern this year is "worse" "better" or "the same as". (I thought these types of debates were reserved for gear discussions). I too had been thinking it was worse and now, dadgummitt, I ain't sure. ;)

Chaco Taco
02-12-2010, 11:46
I've read and reread this thread as I try to buttown down the last few details and decide when to head to Springer but now I can't tell if the weather pattern this year is "worse" "better" or "the same as". (I thought these types of debates were reserved for gear discussions). I too had been thinking it was worse and now, dadgummitt, I ain't sure. ;)

You will be fine.
The weather pattern has been worse than in recent winters. I am not saying dont hike, Im just saying be prepared!!!! Good luck in whatever you decide. It will be awesome no matter what you do.

Hobbot
02-12-2010, 11:51

Haha, I am not a weather person but I don't believe past storms are any indication of what the future will bring more than a few days out. Well, here in NJ, I have heard that we have hit record snow-falls, but also record average highs in temperature for this time of year. I know my parents in VT are getting much lower snowfall than normal this year. Basically, I am preparing for the worst and ready to adapt plans if it is even worse than that. Yes, there will be days that are awful, but that can and does occur year-round.

max patch
02-12-2010, 12:10
What Im sayin Max Patch is that this weather pattern is NOT normal for this time of year in NC.

Most people don't normally check the weather in Asheville if they are thinking about starting at Springer, but hey, whatever works for you.

Chaco Taco
02-12-2010, 17:19
Most people don't normally check the weather in Asheville if they are thinking about starting at Springer, but hey, whatever works for you.

They do have to walk through these mountains soon after starting!:rolleyes:

weary
02-12-2010, 18:41
Agread, with some experience, a good attitude and some gear, snow is way more enjoyable than rain. Snow is just plain fun! So bummed that my region has been denied snow this winter. Strange days indeed! I'm hoping there's still lots of snow on the trail in NC in early April when I do my section. I know it's unlikely but I've been snow deprived.
The deprivation extends all the way south to Portland. The city's annual winter festival planned for President's Day weekend has been cancelled. No snow.

My lawn is snow free. But it hosted a flock of Canada geese this afternoon. I couldn't get an accurate count. But there were at least two dozen grazing among the grass and weeds. I don't know what they eat. But I know what they leave behind. My lawn should comeup especially green come April.

Weary

GGS2
02-12-2010, 19:13
...I don't know what they eat. But I know what they leave behind. My lawn should come up especially green come April.

Weary
Weary, they eat just about anything. In the cities up here, they eat grass. If you have any grass, they'll eat that. If you have weeds, they'll eat them, too.

Look at the fertilizer and see if you can recognize anything.