PDA

View Full Version : Best time for The Whites to Mount Katahdin

Rolo
02-10-2010, 14:48
My question is when is usually the best time of year to make that hike regarding decent weather, bugs, anything else?

I want to take the wife on it after we get out of the Peace Corps. I hiked the 100 mile last year in mid July. Anybody that was there knows it was a raging swamp and the skeeters were terrible! I understand it can rain and be swampy at any particular time, but just looking for the best time usually for New England.

Thx in advance, Rolo.

Lone Wolf
02-10-2010, 14:52
august 1st whites to katahdin

Mountain Wildman
02-10-2010, 15:08
I agree with Lone Wolf, August is perfect. Starts to cool off here in the Whites in October.

weary
02-10-2010, 15:10
august 1st whites to katahdin
Who would have figured it? Lone Wolf is right again. Though starting a week or two later also is not a bad idea, depending on how fast you are prepared to go, and how much of the Whites you want to experience.

Weary

Rolo
02-10-2010, 15:15
Nice. Thanks guys.

Is this the hike you would take if you had say a month or month and a half to do? Familiar with the south and have done Ga to Pa. I heard it gets a tad bland past Harpers until you get to the whites.

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2010, 17:21
It takes most folks 36-40 days to get from Hanover NH to Katahdin (i.e. the entire NH and Maine sections of the Trail).

If you want to start with the White Mountains, you can cut 3 days off this by starting your hike in Glencliff at the foot of Mt. Moosilauke, about 50 miles North of Hanover.

Starting in early August would mean arriving at Baxter State Park in early to mid-September.

I actually prefer to be in Maine later in September as the bugs are pretty much gone with the first cold evening; there are fewer people on the Trail after Labor Day; and the leaves are starting to change.

Therefore, if it were up to me, I'd start this section the second or third week in August and finish up in late September.

Tinker
02-10-2010, 17:27
I hike and sleep very warm and don't mind a cool dip in a pond (there are plenty of swimming spots in Maine).
I'd have to agree (for myself) with Jack.
If I were cold blooded, I'd take the bugs and hike earlier as Lone Wolf suggested.
Of course, planning to be in that neck of the woods earlier would give you more options if you should hook up with a good group who wants to slow down the last week or two.

Cookerhiker
02-10-2010, 18:16
Any time in the first half of August. I'd probably start at Glencliff around August 10. You should miss most of the bugs.

weary
02-10-2010, 19:07
It takes most folks 36-40 days to get from Hanover NH to Katahdin (i.e. the entire NH and Maine sections of the Trail).

If you want to start with the White Mountains, you can cut 3 days off this by starting your hike in Glencliff at the foot of Mt. Moosilauke, about 50 miles North of Hanover.

Starting in early August would mean arriving at Baxter State Park in early to mid-September.

I actually prefer to be in Maine later in September as the bugs are pretty much gone with the first cold evening; there are fewer people on the Trail after Labor Day; and the leaves are starting to change.

Therefore, if it were up to me, I'd start this section the second or third week in August and finish up in late September.

All who can do the section during the time span Jack suggests, should wait until later in August. For those with the time -- or less experience -- I suggest starting earlier in August. If you find yourself ahead of schedule, hike all the side trails -- even day long Gulf Hagas. You will still get to Katahdin before the park closes and have an absolutely wonderful walk, through some of the greatest fall foliage in the world..

Weary

Blissful
02-10-2010, 19:59
We went through that time of year, mid August on . It was nice.

Kerosene
02-11-2010, 16:48
If I had my wish, I'd start from Glencliff in mid-August.

The Flatulator
02-11-2010, 17:57
You're all wrong!.....Best time is early September through October. You get the Fall color changes, all the kids are back in school, no bugs to contend with, no scouts, no camp groups, cooler weather, less chance of rain and the fall colors are at their peak as you close in on Katahdin. Maine in the Fall is the best time of year (but don't tell anyone!).Still plenty of time to hike Katahdin even after the 10/15 "deadline".....

kanga
02-11-2010, 18:05

hey jack, that 36-40 days, is it based on thru-hikers that are in great shape finishing up or can someone like me do it in that time table too?

Lone Wolf
02-11-2010, 18:39
the Whites to Katahdin is 398+ miles. it will take you a solid month and a half coming off the couch. start August 1st like i suggested

Rolo
02-11-2010, 20:22
You're all wrong!.....Best time is early September through October. You get the Fall color changes, all the kids are back in school, no bugs to contend with, no scouts, no camp groups, cooler weather, less chance of rain and the fall colors are at their peak as you close in on Katahdin. Maine in the Fall is the best time of year (but don't tell anyone!).Still plenty of time to hike Katahdin even after the 10/15 "deadline".....

I am from the south. Usually our colors show up mid Oct, I would imagine that Maine would be earlier than that, right? Or are you referring to leaving in Sept and catching the fall colors in NH and beginning of Maine? I imagine that if I leave mid august we would definitely hit them, ditch the bugs with the cooler weather, but still hit the swimming holes in the warm early Sept afternoon. And am I to believe that Maine "dry season" is Sept/early Oct? I am not sure, that's why I posted...

The Flatulator
02-12-2010, 10:24
Typically Maine is dry in the September/October time frame, but keep in mind that the Maine in rain falls mainly on the Trail. September is the beginning of fall colors. The swamp maples start turning in August, but the other colors quickly follow. Peak foliage is always the first week in October along the AT in Maine. The days are still warm in Sept/Oct and the nights are cool for sleeping. Best part, as mentioned, is the crowds thin out. You will encounter the mainline of thru-hikers, but as you head North, you will be walking with them and encounter only those who pass you or you meet up with at the shelters; giving you that feeling of fewer people. Summer months in Maine are busy with campgroups, scouts and such as are the Whites due to people on vacation with their kids. I would recommend a southbound hike, however, for those who are unconditioned and unaccustomed to a full pack. Starting out at Katahdin (day hike without full packs) will at least allow you to get in better physical shape for the brutal climbs you will encounter once you reach the Bigelows. From there, it is all straight up and straight down (New England style swtichbacks). Not much fun if you are out of shape (not much fun even when you are in shape!!). Take your time and enjoy the views and the quiet the trail in Maine affords. Maine in the Fall is the best time of year!!

The Flatulator
02-12-2010, 10:28
O-o-o-p!....Make that "the rain in Maine falls mainly on the Trail" and for all Northbound thru-hikers, always keep in mind "No rain, no pain, no Maine"