PDA

View Full Version : Max Patch for Spring Break Planning

rockytop7
02-10-2010, 17:05
Hey guys, I need some help planning a spring break backpacking trip. I'm thinking about doing a 3-4 day trip that goes through Max Patch at some point. Maybe 20-40 miles. Anybody from that area or familiar with that area have any suggestions? I'd like to know the best place to start, finish, park cars, shuttle, and camp along the way. Thanks!

rockytop7
02-10-2010, 17:18
I'm thinking about doing the stretch from Davenport Gap to Hot Springs. Does that sound like it would be about what I'm looking for?

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2010, 17:30
That stretch would be perfect.

I suggest you either get dropped off or leave your vehicle with Curtis at Standing Bear Farm (just north of Davenport Gap), and then hike North to Hot Springs and then get a ride back later, or perhaps leave your vehicle in Hot Springs (there are safe secure places to park there) and then get a ride back to Davenport Gap. The advantage to this is that your car would be right there waiting for you when your trip was done.

For information about lodging, shuttles, or anything else, call Curtis at Standing Bear (423) 487-0014 or Dan Gallagher, the co-owner of the excellent Bluff Mt. Outfitters in Hot Springs (828) 622-7162

Chaco Taco
02-10-2010, 17:39
This would be a great section as Jack said. 3 days should be right for an easy pace. Great places to tent. There is a great spot on the left at the trail that goes back to Deer Park shelter. Great for 4-5 tents and a nice fire ring.

You could camp on top of the Patch. if you get into some messy stuff, just head down to the woods North of the patch.

rockytop7
02-10-2010, 17:50
Thanks guys, that should help a lot!

DAKS
02-10-2010, 18:58
this is a popular section for spring breakers. i saw quite a few last year around the middle of march i think? fortunately the weather was pretty good and many of them were able to camp on max patch. they were all having a ball! have fun!

Violent Green
02-10-2010, 20:51
That stretch would be perfect.

I suggest you either get dropped off or leave your vehicle with Curtis at Standing Bear Farm (just north of Davenport Gap), and then hike North to Hot Springs and then get a ride back later, or perhaps leave your vehicle in Hot Springs (there are safe secure places to park there) and then get a ride back to Davenport Gap. The advantage to this is that your car would be right there waiting for you when your trip was done.

Myself and two friends did exactly this last weekend. Curtis shuttled us to Hot Springs and we hiked back to Davenport Gap($80 for the service). It's about a 35 mile hike. Many trees are down in this section thanks to the harsh winter weather so be prepared. Max Patch and Snowbird were completely covered in about 3" of ice and everything else in 4-6" of snow. We saw zero other hikers all weekend. Good times.

Ryan

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 23:10
this is a popular section for spring breakers. i saw quite a few last year around the middle of march i think? fortunately the weather was pretty good and many of them were able to camp on max patch. they were all having a ball! have fun!

We had my "birthday party" up on top only to wake up at 330am with 50 mph winds