PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Poles - What's Recommended?

Sassafras Lass
02-10-2010, 18:03
This may sound goofy, but to alleviate my concerns about lightening in upper elevations, I'm heavily leaning toward carbon fiber poles vs. the aluminum. Plus, I have a carbon fiber violin bow and it's very comfy and better weighted than many of the wooden bows you can find, so I'm inclined towards carbon.

My husband and I are doing GA-ME 2011 so we're looking for suitable gear now. I have joint problems and weak ankles and so am looking for something to help stabilize my walk and center of gravity (or lack thereof).

What would you say the cheapest, most durable brand/style would be? I'd REALLY prefer to spend under $100 if at all possible - not trying to be cheap, it's just that we don't have a lot of extraneous $$.

Thank you everyone! :)

Jack Tarlin
02-10-2010, 18:10
Might be tough on the $100.00 budget, but I swear by my Leki's.

Also, they're by far the most popular trekking poles out there, meaning you won't have any trouble getting them serviced or fixed while en route, or finding spare parts, tips, etc., which is decidedly NOT the case with some other companies.

leaftye
02-10-2010, 18:12
Carbon fiber is a pretty good conductor. Auto manufacturers big and small grapple with how to deal with the conductivity of static on body panels, to handling corrosion in the interface between metal and carbon fiber parts. I wouldn't rule out aluminum due to conductivity concerns. That said, the Gossamer Gear and TiGoat poles look nice. I'd probably lean towards the TiGoat poles solely because they have an option to make them function as a monopod for taking pictures.

leaftye
02-10-2010, 18:15
Oops, both are over $100.

As for me, I've been using my Leki Super Makalu's. I'll probably replace the extender cups soon since I had them collapse a couple times on me a couple weeks ago while trekking in the snow, although I was trying to use them for things like pole vaulting across creeks....all 265 lbs of me and pack...

Big Dawg
02-10-2010, 18:37
a little out of your price range, but i use the Black Diamond Alpine CF. I LOVE them. What I love most is the "flicklock" system, instead of the twistlock that most poles have. Awesome poles, & well worth the extra $$ IMHO.

Elder
02-10-2010, 18:56
:sun disclaimer...I am the Leki rep (most here know this)
If you have joint issues...get antishock poles.
The Question of "conductivity" between aluminum and carbon for trekking is mostly function.
When you are in the lightning strike zone, You, wet, are the bigger issue unless you hold them over your head.
The grips actually insulate you pretty well too.

Leki's Speedlock (external lock system) is being delivered to stores now.
Strongest (TUV test) external system, But, No external system has a functional shock. (Bumpers in the grip do not count, or work) so your best choices are the Leki with the super lock/antishock poles. The Super Makalus AS and the Ultralite Thermolite AS, as well as the Diva AS are all $139.95.
There are closeout deals on the older grip style. The new Aergon grip is absolutely worth the price so be sure what you find.
Learn to use the straps correctly and you will love them.

Cakon
02-10-2010, 18:59
I have been using my Leki Super Makalu's since 2000. I'm 200# and have lived and hiked in Oregon, Montana, Colorado, and the UP of Michigan. I have never replaced a part and am taking them on my 2010 thru of the AT. They are alluminum but reliable. I just take proper lightning precautions as you should weather or not you are using carbon fiber or not.

garlic08
02-10-2010, 19:08
You have lots of time. Start looking for a sale on carbon fiber trekking poles. I got mine for well under $100 at a closeout somewhere in cyberspace, like Steep'n'Cheap. It's ridiculous how much those things cost retail. I like mine, and they held up to the AT.

Leki definitely has the market cornered on poles along the AT. When you need new tips, Lekis are easy to find. Mine are Komperdell and I had to look around a bit.

max patch
02-10-2010, 19:13
I use a single bamboo staff. Free. Hasn't been struck by lightning yet.

BrianLe
02-10-2010, 19:16
I have REI branded Komperdell adjustable length CF poles. My wife bought new poles recently and we looked at these --- the ones available now look the same but are a little heavier with the lower 1/3 length now aluminum. Mine have held up fine over 3000 or so miles, replaced the tips once, plan to do so again at some point along the AT this year.

I don't think tip replacement is a reason to buy a particular brand; a long distance hiker can just buy a couple pairs of replacement tips via local store or internet, and just figure based on mileage about when to replace the tips. As it turned out, when I replaced my tips on the PCT they were still in good enough shape that another thru-hiker replaced his (in worse shape) tips with my cast offs, but I figure it's like changing oil --- or replacing trail runners. Do it based on the mileage.

10-K
02-10-2010, 19:18
a little out of your price range, but i use the Black Diamond Alpine CF. I LOVE them. What I love most is the "flicklock" system, instead of the twistlock that most poles have. Awesome poles, & well worth the extra $$ IMHO.

Me too... The fliplock design is way superior to the twistables.

Replacement tips, etc. are available cheap from Black Diamond (I just bought a pair for $4.95. easy to replace)

Summit
02-10-2010, 19:21
The first trekking poles I bought were very expensive carbon fiber poles. Broke one on my very first time out with them. REI gave me full credit and recommended aluminum poles for the added stability. A few more ounces is well worth the extra sturdiness. I next bought REI Summits (made by Komperdell) and they are fine, still use them for daily walking in the neighborhood. But my current backpacking poles are these:

http://www.rei.com/product/782131

Moderately priced and what I love about them is the patented Flicklock mechanisms. Much better than the REI and most other poles' twistlock. No slipping and if you like to change lengths for uphill/downhill (I don't), you can do so in cold or rain very easily with gloves on. Twistlocks are a pain when wet or your hands are very cold.

JJJ
02-10-2010, 19:22
Grab a stick when you get to a hill.
Toss it when you're finished with it.
Get another one when at the next hill.

lazy river road
02-10-2010, 19:22
Check out pacer poles, I dont have them but were shown to me a few weekends ago and they are might comffy. I do like my leki aluminum malkalu, they were the right price and some times carrying an extra few ounces is worth saving $50 or so plus more dollars.

max patch
02-10-2010, 19:26
If you have joint issues...get antishock poles.

I will never use trekking poles, however, my wife who was joint problems was told by her PT to use poles when hiking. The rep at REI told her that since she has joint problems she SHOULD NOT use any antishock poles.

Comments please.

Elder
02-10-2010, 19:39
I will never use trekking poles, however, my wife who was joint problems was told by her PT to use poles when hiking. The rep at REI told her that since she has joint problems she SHOULD NOT use any antishock poles.

Comments please.

Rep at REI or saleperson?
I can quarantee any Leki rep would tell her the truth about anti shock.
Anti SHOCK, impact, force. etc.
That is the whole point of anti shock.

Check www.leki.com (http://www.leki.com) for all kinds of pole related information

Big Dawg
02-10-2010, 19:46
Me too... The fliplock design is way superior to the twistables.
yea, prolly the reason Leki came up w/ something different than twisties. Maybe Elder can chime in to confirm/deny this.

Doctari
02-10-2010, 19:59
Just a thought:
Air is just about the worst conductor of electricity there is, ie; it is a VERY good insulator. This insulation value is why most of our cold weather clothing is full of air spaces.
Lightning (Electricity) has just traveled through as much as several Miles of air (Lightning can strike from as far as 10 miles away). If you are going to be hit by lightning, a few feet of conductive or resistive materials that are your hiking poles will likely make no difference. So, get the ones you find most effective & comfortable, & get to low ground &/or shelter if lightning threatens.
FYI, the protection provided by staying in your car during a T-Storm isn't from the few inches of tire rubber, but due to the fact that the car's metal body conducts the lightning around you & to the ground. From experience, it is still a unpleasant experience, but you can live through it. Although that car radio never did work right again, and my traveling companions & my ears rung for about 2 days.

kayak karl
02-10-2010, 20:18
Check out pacer poles, I dont have them but were shown to me a few weekends ago and they are might comffy. I do like my leki aluminum malkalu, they were the right price and some times carrying an extra few ounces is worth saving $50 or so plus more dollars.
pacer poles are the best :)

Rocket Jones
02-10-2010, 20:22
pacer poles are the best :)

I got a pair of Pacer Poles for Christmas. I haven't done any long distance with them, but so far I like them a lot. They are incredibly comfortable in the hand.

Elder
02-10-2010, 20:26
yea, prolly the reason Leki came up w/ something different than twisties. Maybe Elder can chime in to confirm/deny this.

We came up with the Speedlock(external) system, as strong as our Superlock system (twist), to address the occasional loosening issues. To make a Visible sytem, easy to understand, very easy to use.
The ONLY external to pass the same tests as our Superlock is our Speedlock. (New TUV testing..Europe)
NO external system offers the antishock as does the Superlock/ AS.
Some do not like the early springy shocks, but the current generations are shock absorbers and the motion is minimized.
Trekking poles take a huge amount of shock and impact off your body.
Shocks absorb a huge amount of that impact protecting your joints, etc.
Never use shocks? Might never miss them.
Use the good shocks, Never go back.
;)

Chomp09
02-10-2010, 21:26
Here's another vote for BD flick lock. Simply the best! Before finally purchasing the pair of black diamonds I went through three pairs of lekis and encountered the loosening issues Elder speaks to with each.

Phreak
02-10-2010, 21:44
I have hiked the last three years with Leki ultralight carbon poles and I love 'em.

Lyle
02-10-2010, 22:11
Unique and the Best. I've been using my pair for about four or five years, maybe six. I've tried conventional designs - no comparison to the comfort and stability of these:

http://www.pacerpole.co.uk/

Do yourself a favor.

Rain Man
02-10-2010, 22:40

Sorry, Elder, and not to be contrarian, but there are about 10,000 members here, and most certainly do not know you from Adam. I sure don't. So, thanks for identifying yourself. That was a good thing to do.

I think the anti-shock features on hiking poles are a gimmick. My wife and I have had both kinds. I love my Leki Makalu Titanium whatevers, without those heavy, noisy, worthless, counter-productive anti-shock components.

Lekis are great. Anti-shock feature is not.

Just my opinion, of course.

Rain:sunMan

Elder
02-11-2010, 00:10
OK, some few know me.
Have you tried the newer shocks? See above.
There is no question that even the older, squeeky rattlely shocks absorb shock.
Some felt they were fighting against the motion and the spring. Well, sort of, but it was still soaking up a lot of the impact.
The newer Soft anti shock and newest lower soft antishocks have nearly no "rebound" as they are shocks, not just springs.
Leki works hard to offer the best possible product..a continuing story.
Leki makes poles...skiing of all kinds, trekking and fitness.
It is what we do.

DTG
02-11-2010, 05:42
i had some Leki carbon poles i bought in neels gap that for the most part did me OK. both middle sections began to split vertically around NH which were replaced however there has been terrible corrosion on the poles and one of them will no longer extend.
Leki back home (UK) wont help me as I bought them in the US - theyre wanting to charge me more than I paid for the pair and Leki US dont reply to my emails.
They did a decent enough job and Leki are definitely the most popular hiking poles on the trail but im not sure the cost is really worth it against the price of a stick for example!

RGB
02-11-2010, 07:00
I use a big stick with duct tape as a hand-grip. I got a pretty good deal on it. :rolleyes:

daddytwosticks
02-11-2010, 08:26
I've got the store brand Campmor poles made by Leki. Nice basic poles at a very reasonable price. :)

bigcranky
02-11-2010, 09:06
If you really want lightning protection, go to the nearest golfing store and buy a one iron. When caught on a ridge in a thunder storm, hold it over your head. Guaranteed protection.

Because.... Even God can't hit a one iron. (ba da bump)

Apologies for bad golfing joke.

Love my Lekis, hate the anti-shock.

mister krabs
02-11-2010, 10:24
Several carbon trekking poles are available at http://www.sierratradingpost.com/d/314_Trekking-Poles.html

Pretty good discounts.

Maddog
02-11-2010, 10:33
I have hiked the last three years with Leki ultralight carbon poles and I love 'em.

i have these as well...they rule! maddog:D

Wise Old Owl
02-11-2010, 10:35
If you really want lightning protection, go to the nearest golfing store and buy a one iron. When caught on a ridge in a thunder storm, hold it over your head. Guaranteed protection.

I remember watching on TV Lee Travino when he got struck by lightening! back then they showed it.

http://golf.about.com/od/leetrevino/p/lee_trevino.htm

Maddog
02-11-2010, 10:35

lmao...hilarious!

Wise Old Owl
02-11-2010, 10:46
Elder, nice to know about the Leki Rep, the thread covers the question very well,

I think the carbon fiber would not provide any protection over metal when it comes to lightening. There is something called Dielectric breakdown, where at high voltages and amperages, electricity can cross an insulator. Carbon is full of electrons ergo, a conductor at some point. We have all experienced AM radio and driving down a road, when the radio gets drowned out by noise. This is due to high voltage on the power pole jumping a cracked insulator to the wooden pole after a rain. Hence FM (relatively noise free) is more popular.

Wags
02-11-2010, 10:47
i use outdoor designs (walmart brand). $15 for the pair. they aren't nearly as light as leki poles, but they were $100 less. they also have an antishock system, however i don't collapse them b/c the first set i had broke when i did. so that's really the only drag

wudhipy
02-11-2010, 10:50
I swear by my Leki's, I've had them overhauled at trail days twice now at no charge. As far as metal in storms as opposed to carbon, hike your own hike, and get whatever makes you the most comfortable. My thru begins in 17 days and I still can't seem to lose my french coffee press from my pack...help me ....please...lol:D

Rain Man
02-11-2010, 12:13
Some felt they were fighting against the motion and the spring. Well, sort of, but it was still soaking up a lot of the impact.

What impact? There's no weight and no impact on my hiking poles when I plant them. When I plant my feet, yes to both. But poles, no. My arms are weightless compared to my legs, which support all my body weight. Not to mention, the grip straps absorb pressure slowly as it is.

And yes, I sure felt as if the springiness was counter-productive and as if I were fighting against it and as if every planting motion took effort to find the solidness I needed and should have had almost instantly.

Good theory, ... bad, bad, bad implementation. IMHO, that is.

Rain:sunMan

Rocket Jones
02-11-2010, 12:14

LOL I was expecting you to say "hand it to the noob and have him hold it over his head while you run away."

Wise Old Owl
02-11-2010, 12:18
i use outdoor designs (walmart brand). $15 for the pair. they aren't nearly as light as leki poles, but they were $100 less. they also have an antishock system, however i don't collapse them b/c the first set i had broke when i did. so that's really the only drag

Yea, I did the same thing for a couple of years, now that I upgraded, what do you do with the old poles? They are in good shape, how does one keep them from ending up in a Landfill?

mister krabs
02-11-2010, 12:50
Yea, I did the same thing for a couple of years, now that I upgraded, what do you do with the old poles? They are in good shape, how does one keep them from ending up in a Landfill?

Give them to someone and pay it forward.

Wags
02-11-2010, 13:26
agreed krabs. maybe the boyscouts or local goodwill?

Wise Old Owl
02-11-2010, 14:18
anything other than Goodwill?

Chance09
02-11-2010, 14:36
I have joint problems and weak ankles and so am looking for something to help stabilize my walk and center of gravity (or lack thereof).

Just hoping to alleviate a few of your concerns but after a month or so on the trail you will be AMAZED at how strong your ankles are becoming. I had horribly weak ankles from years of rolling them playing soccer. I could almost walk on my feet sideways with no problem or pain they were so loose. I actually hiked with a guy who wanted to videotape my feet cause it looked like i was doing just that a few times when the weather was bad and the trail conditions treacherous. He thought it was hilarious.

Around a month in I started noticing that when an ankle would start to roll it would automatically correct itself unless it was a really bad one. The muscles really started to work and do what they were supposed to. I was amazed. Towards the end of my thru i don't think I rolled an ankle for at least the last two months.

Hope this encourages you a bit.:banana

flemdawg1
02-11-2010, 14:57

Walmart also sells some w/ flick-locks. Snapped one in PA, but for the price I didn't cry all that much.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Recreation-Group-Single-Trekking-Pole-With-Camlock/10928566

RichardD
02-11-2010, 16:36
I used Leki Malaku for several years, they had shocks and I liked them. I sometimes had difficulties in getting the locking mechanism to engage. When the tips wore out I went to REI to get new tips, they said just find a new pair in the store. I found the REI brand Carbon Fiber poles. These were fantastic to hike with as they are extremely lightweight. I had more trouble getting the locking mechanism to engage. I had been using them to assist in digging cat holes and all of a sudden the small sideways force shattered the pole. I replaced the REI poles with the Black Diamond poles. The locking mechanism on these seems flawless. They are my favorite pole so far.
As for lightning safety, if one is in a strike zone then a leader will stream from one or many points, usually the high points. If you are the highest thing around then likely you. If you are holding your poles high in the air then even more likely you. If the current from the leader is passing through you and then through your poles I would think it unlikely that the composition of the poles makes much difference. The lightning strike then connects through one or more leaders but not neccessarily all of them.
If you find yourself in a high risk lightning situation, the recommended procedure is to discard poles pack etc, crouch low in a low spot on a pad and cover your ears. I understand that no one has been struck while in the lightning protection position (at least that is what the literature says)
My experience has been that it always seems to be the first strike of the storm that comes too close to me.

Appalachian Tater
02-11-2010, 16:40
Your choice of material will not greatly affect the odds of getting hit by lightening but it will greatly affect whether your pole snaps or saves you when you put a lot of pressure on it in a near-fall.

RGB
02-11-2010, 19:21
Your choice of material will not greatly affect the odds of getting hit by lightening but it will greatly affect whether your pole snaps or saves you when you put a lot of pressure on it in a near-fall.

I was surprised at how much thought people put into the conductivity of their poles. Maybe I should start playing the lottery too.

Red Beard
02-11-2010, 20:09
I was surprised at how much thought people put into the conductivity of their poles. Maybe I should start playing the lottery too.

You actually have a better chance of being stuck by lightening. If I recall, it's a 1 in 5000 chance, less if you are female. Winning big in the lotto is 1 in some really big number (much bigger than 5000).

Sassafras Lass
02-13-2010, 13:15
"Hope this encourages you a bit."

Yes it does! Yeah, I played soccer for a few years, a few years of track, and then the past few years of inactivity and not much exercise. : (

I've not formed any definite preferences or prejudices regarding poles. I just know that all through my childhood my mother freaked out whenever a thunderstorm came, insisting that I not hold a metal umbrella. So that's always in the back of my head regarding metal and lightening.

The shock system sounds pretty interesting; I suppose it's really a matter of trying them out personally to see what works best for me. That's far more difficult, as the nearest Cabela's and Bass Pro are about an hour's drive away and I only get 1 weekday off . . . . oh well. I guess I'll keep checking the gear posts here, to see what's being sold.

Thank you, everyone!

DrRichardCranium
02-13-2010, 18:00
My thoughts:

I have REI aluminum poles. They were about 1/3 cheaper than Leki poles, and I liked the grips better on them.

Mine have the anti-shock thingy, but as has been pointed out, it's just a gimmick & doesn't provide all that much benefit for mountain hiking. I would just as soon skip the anti-shock thing, although it doesn't really hurt to have it unless it makes the poles more expensive.

BrianLe
02-13-2010, 20:50
"I would just as soon skip the anti-shock thing, although it doesn't really hurt to have it unless it makes the poles more expensive."

Or heavier. Or something else that can go wrong. One set of Leki poles my wife and I own have gotten increasingly noisy over the years due to the shock absorption springs.

Elder
02-13-2010, 20:57
Or heavier. Or something else that can go wrong. One set of Leki poles my wife and I own have gotten increasingly noisy over the years due to the shock absorption springs.
:-? That is the older technology, the new ones are quiet.

Oh, and to comment on what to do with worn out poles...recycle them! We recycle all the damaged parts etc from Trail Days and at the office.
:rolleyes:

Doctari
02-13-2010, 21:15
Just a reminder guys, & I may be wrong, but I think that Chancelynn's main concern is lightning in relation to hiking poles. Pole selection in it's self is important, but the question is "What poles would be best during a T-Storm?"

I vote for the: put your poles down and adopt the lightning stance [as mentioned above] if you can't get to a lower elevation.

Sassafras Lass
10-01-2010, 11:56

Just hoping to alleviate a few of your concerns but after a month or so on the trail you will be AMAZED at how strong your ankles are becoming. I had horribly weak ankles from years of rolling them playing soccer. I could almost walk on my feet sideways with no problem or pain they were so loose. I actually hiked with a guy who wanted to videotape my feet cause it looked like i was doing just that a few times when the weather was bad and the trail conditions treacherous. He thought it was hilarious.

Around a month in I started noticing that when an ankle would start to roll it would automatically correct itself unless it was a really bad one. The muscles really started to work and do what they were supposed to. I was amazed. Towards the end of my thru i don't think I rolled an ankle for at least the last two months.

Hope this encourages you a bit.:banana

Just a reminder guys, & I may be wrong, but I think that Chancelynn's main concern is lightning in relation to hiking poles. Pole selection in it's self is important, but the question is "What poles would be best during a T-Storm?"

I vote for the: put your poles down and adopt the lightning stance [as mentioned above] if you can't get to a lower elevation.

Thank you everyone! I ended up getting the Black Diamond Ergo poles and they've been great - used them hiking in the Smokies, and if I have them at the correct length they plant perfectly. :)

BrianLe
10-06-2010, 08:27
Apologies in advance for a somewhat long post, but I've been building up some conflicting experiences on this topic ---

In Feb on this same thread I mentioned that I liked REI branded Komperdell CF poles. My thinking changed a bit on when just starting into the Smokies in March I managed to find the first icy patch and slipped on it, snapping the lower section of one of the poles. The other had started slipping a bit too by then (to be fair, this was after well over 3000 miles of use) so I ended up using sometimes one and sometimes two found-in-the-woods wooden sticks until I could buy relatively heavy Leki poles in Gatlinburg. When my wife hiked with me in the Shenendoah NP she agreed to let me use her lighter Leki's from there --- I think they're the lightest titanium poles with shocks. Pretty beat up by the time I finished the AT, I think largely from the sort of scrambling that a person does in the Whites (dragging them over abrasive rocks while climbing up, etc). The result is that they don't easily open and close any more (and definitely don't have that factory "new" look).

So I got myself the lightest titanium Leki's that don't have shocks (I just don't see the need to add any weight for shocks), and used these doing a couple hundred miles or so in Europe this past month, some in the Alps but most on the Wainwright trail in northern England. Worked great except once when coming through, down from a particularly tricky stile I landed hard on one of the poles and the lower section bent. I just bent it back on the spot and other than now being hard to open and close that section it seems fine.

So one "moral of the story" for me is that I'd far prefer a pole that I can perhaps field repair (yes I know that in theory some field repair can be done to CF poles, but ...).

Now, Leki's are guaranteed for life, but this is still a bit of a PITA --- do I take them back, or assume that having bent it more or less back into shape it's fine? (didn't bend more than perhaps 15 to 20 degrees out of true)

Another wrinkle in all of this is that I developed a bit of tennis elbow on the latter part of the AT this year; my doctor opines this was from constant pole use and that it will get better if I can manage to stop hiking for a while and let it heal. But I wonder how much, if any, the weight of the pole makes a difference here? On the trail, the only time I notice the tennis elbow thing was when I was NOT using the pole --- you know, those times when, for example, the brush closes in so you're just carrying the poles, one in each hand by the handles until the trail allows pole use again? I found myself holding the one pole differently in those situations, making me sort of miss the slightly lighter CF poles.

I think that for mostly casual, short distance trip use it likely doesn't matter that much which pole is used, but for me at least, I'm now thinking that the lightest titanium Lekis are a good choice.

Elder
10-06-2010, 09:08
Sounds like you are getting some miles on the Leki's!
As you discovered, anything can break or bend.
The aluminum Lekis, because of the tempering (heat treating) have more strength and can sometimes be straightened.
All carbon poles, when they fail, they shatter. I can not imagine a real, field fix other than a splint. Their advantage is weight. The durability has proven to be similar to aluminum, except at failure...then they are done.
Lekis are guaranteed for life, but not for wear out. Thats why you need to clean them, dry them after getting them wet, and replace the tips/baskets as needed.
Yes, you can call Leki and return them, we will fix them. You must get a R.A. number, but we turn them around quickly..still a week or so.
Or. Trail Days, on site service at the campground/manufactureres repair.
Or a trail side (near) outfitter. We (Leki) provide them with parts so they can repair actively hiking poles. Not always the same color/generation, but hiking.
There is a reason for getting the best. Strength, durabilty and service.

And YES, I am the Leki guy...:D

Elder
10-06-2010, 09:11
I forgot!
Some of that Tennis Elbow would have been avoided by using shocks.
They really do help.
The shock weight on the recent Lekis is a few grams at most, maybe .2 oz.
Are you using your straps correctly, it also allows a more relaxed grip.
Thanks

Blue Jay
10-06-2010, 10:44
We (Leki) provide them with parts so they can repair actively hiking poles. Not always the same color/generation, but hiking.
There is a reason for getting the best. Strength, durabilty and service.

And YES, I am the Leki guy...:D

At least we now know why even jokes are not allowed about poles.:welcome

LesH
10-06-2010, 21:59
Hi everyone, first post. Being a contractor who occasionally works with electric, I do have an understanding of conductivity. In a thunderstorm, a wet pole would be more conductive, however, as was already pointed out, not much more conductive than a wet YOU. That being said, I have a question(s) about poles, period. ( not to hijack the thread, mods feel free to move or delete) are they worth the weight? How? Is there any real science to it? You are after all , carrying yet another object(s) with your back/ legs. A true quadra ped has legs of basicaly the same length to distribute weight more or less evenly. I see just as many strapped to packs and carried as used for propulsion. Thanks. Les

Sierra Echo
10-06-2010, 22:30
I have learned that while using two poles, you are twice as likely to land on one when you trip and fall. I did that last saturday and not only do I have a massive bruise on the left side of my right knee, I bent the dang pole! :rolleyes:

BrianLe
10-06-2010, 23:16
Elder wrote:

"Some of that Tennis Elbow would have been avoided by using shocks.
They really do help.
The shock weight on the recent Lekis is a few grams at most, maybe .2 oz.
Are you using your straps correctly, it also allows a more relaxed grip."

FWIW, I got the tennis elbow while using Leki's with shocks (my wife's pair). It would be interesting to see some sort of objective data to show that in fact, they do help. It makes sense, but all sorts of things that seem to "make sense" intuitively turn out to be false.

In fact I have no certain knowledge as to how the tennis elbow thing started, though it did start in the latter part of the thru-hike this year, so pole use does seem likely in some manner --- but per previous, I only felt it when carrying a pole in a certain way, never from the "impact" of placing the tips on the ground each step.
I think that it's pretty hard to (confidently and correctly) diagnose this sort of thing, much like trying to figure out how a person got Giardia (or even if what they got was really Giardia) --- too easy to draw the wrong conclusions.

I do indeed use my straps "correctly" --- and (based on your "relaxed grip" comment) I suspect that you and I might even agree on what "correctly" means! :-)

rodonne1
10-08-2010, 21:53
I got 2 pairs of aluminum trekking poles at Wal-Mart for $18.99 a pair. They actually work great and the anodized aluminum looks pretty good for being such a cheap trekking pole...

rodonne1
10-08-2010, 21:54
They have two different models though, don't get the ones that twist lock. You want the ones that have the Duo-Locking mechanism just like all the high end poles.