PDA

View Full Version : 2010 hiker sightings

mountain squid
02-10-2010, 18:16
Last Sunday at Kincora was surprised to see a SOBO.

Spaz McGee has been enduring the elements, but did have a few hours to enjoy the Super Bowl. Hope Spaz Mcgee wasn't caught in the Roans during this terrible weather.

Good Luck all!!! See you when you get up this way!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Just to let everyone know: when I encounter someone on the trail, I ask their permission to post here. When you meet a hiker you might also ask them if they mind. There might be a few that don't want their whereabouts known.

mountain squid
03-17-2010, 13:44
Yesterday after finishing a day of blow down removal we were hiking back to the truck. At Doll Flats I found some YakTrax on the ground, apparentely they had fallen off someone's pack.

Last night I got a call from Kincora, the owner of the YakTrax had made it to Kincora that day. I agreed to meet in town today and return the YakTrax to .....

Trek

Trek has survived the Roan Highlands. He has snow shoes so he didn't miss the YakTrax much. Evidently there is still ALOT of snow in the Roan Highlands. The foot path is still not visible and he had a hard time following the trail, especially where we relocated the trail around Little Hump (he was unfamiliar with the relocation). He mentioned only seeing about a foot of the posts with blazes on them. The posts are 6 feet long, so that is ALOT of snow.

We didn't make it to the top of Hump yesterday while searching for blowdowns. There was easily 3 feet of snow when we turned around.

Be extra careful out there. Trek suggested to bring extra food when going through the Highlands just in case.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

sasquatch2014
04-08-2010, 21:42
Thanks for doing this Squid. I don't figure I will have many early birds this year up here in NY but I have been seeing a lot of section hikers out. Maybe allthe snow to the south and north and squeezing them into the middle:D

mountain squid
04-09-2010, 19:16
Well, I reckon they will start trickling through down here. Having survived the Smokies and the Roan Highlands, the following hikers are hanging out at Kincora (just in time for a freeze tonite:eek:):

Mike
Hollywood (username = Trailbender)
Thinker

They said there is still snow on top of Roan, but apparently it is melting quickly now, leaving a river of water. As I understood, the 'river' is actually under packed snow/ice. Be careful.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

mountain squid
04-10-2010, 19:36
Out doing some maintenance on my section, South of Moreland Gap Shelter, met the following hikers:

Ten Fidy
Groom
Shakes
Reverend
Big Fork
Little Spoon
Hitchcock
Bull Dog

It was a great weather day!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

mtnkngxt
04-11-2010, 21:23
Spent the night at Wise shelter with Blue Moon and Bloodhound last night.

mountain squid
04-25-2010, 16:14
Yesterday at Kincora:

Thin Mint
Rainbow Monkey
Lab Rat
South Paw
AD
Creepy
Moose (3/31)
Willie Walker

Today at TN91:

Love it or Leave it
Knight Crawler
Kashmir
Green Dog

Nice weather today. No more snow at the Osborne Farm. :D

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Hoop Time
04-27-2010, 20:33
Didn't write down the names, but I was in the vicinity of the Scott Farm today and stopped to take a look at the register. Appears three through-hikers have passed through Pa.'s Cumberland Valley already. Saw two hikers heading down through the fields just south of the farm as I was leaving, but don't know if they were throughs or just section hikers.

mountain squid
04-29-2010, 17:18
Trail Maint today on Pond Flats getting ready for Hard Core, saw the following hikers wander by:

Pony Tail Dave (4/1)
KingKrawler (TJ (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=295477))
Veto
Jay-B
Slinky
Dickle
Crunch Wrap
Sparky

See you on the trail (and at Trail Days),
mt squid

sasquatch2014
04-30-2010, 20:30
Didn't write down the names, but I was in the vicinity of the Scott Farm today and stopped to take a look at the register. Appears three through-hikers have passed through Pa.'s Cumberland Valley already. Saw two hikers heading down through the fields just south of the farm as I was leaving, but don't know if they were throughs or just section hikers.

I'll be keeping an eye out for them the last year or so the first thrus's have passed through in the first week of may or so this year i expected it to be closer to the end of the month due to the heavy snow early on.

adamkrz
04-30-2010, 20:45
I don't remember the names but it appears that at least 3 thru hikers had logged in at the Tom Leonard shelter in Southern Mass. when I was there on thursday 4-29.

sasquatch2014
04-30-2010, 21:43
I don't remember the names but it appears that at least 3 thru hikers had logged in at the Tom Leonard shelter in Southern Mass. when I was there on thursday 4-29.

Really that seems extra early but i still would not be surprised. If you come across names I would love to know them to see what they wrote in the logs down here.

mountain squid
05-01-2010, 17:55
Checking out my section today. North of Moreland Gap Shelter saw the following hikers:

Jibitz (4/2)
Yoga Matt (3/31)
Heads Up (3/30)
Buckaroo
Magnet
Landfill (4/2)
School Bus
Ron
Wolf Pack
Stumble Wolf
Little Aspen
Toothpick

See you on the trail (and at Trail Days),
mt squid

Hoop Time
05-02-2010, 11:11
No names, but sounds like at least 8-10 through-hikers have passed through the Cumberland Valley at this point. In addition to the three I saw last week in the register at the Scott Farm, a guy named "Jeff" (no trail name), who I talked to yesterday at the Clarks Ferry Shelter said there were several right behind him (he is going Harpers Ferry to Katahdin after doing Springer to Harpers Ferry last year) and at the Doyle after my hike, Pat and Vickey said four passed through Duncannon Friday. There were two others staying there last night, but I am not sure if they were section hikers or through-hikers.

sasquatch2014
05-02-2010, 15:40
I didn't see him no do I know the name at this point but I got a message from a fellow maintainer who has the section just south of me that he had a GaMe pass through on the 29th. The fellow said he had started in Feb.

Nature Boy
05-02-2010, 18:17
Started the trail Jan. 30 and now am in New Hampshire. No other thru-hikers up here that
I am aware of. Anyone seen or heard from Trek?? Alot of people asking me about him. Does anybody know of any other thru-hikers close to me?? Lots of mud and standing water on the trail. Killington got 12" of snow a few days ago. Snow levels around 3,000 feet or so. Heading up Moosilauke tomorrow.

Nature Boy

brotheral
05-02-2010, 18:40
Started the trail Jan. 30 and now am in New Hampshire. No other thru-hikers up here that
I am aware of. Anyone seen or heard from Trek?? Alot of people asking me about him. Does anybody know of any other thru-hikers close to me?? Lots of mud and standing water on the trail. Killington got 12" of snow a few days ago. Snow levels around 3,000 feet or so. Heading up Moosilauke tomorrow.

Nature Boy

Welcome aboard Nature Boy... Sorry i can't help with your inquiry, but I'll say a prayer for your continued success.... :)

sasquatch2014
05-02-2010, 20:39
Glad to hear you are doing ok I hope you enjoy the rest of your hike. Try to leave some of the Black flies for the rest of the folks to come.

Monkeywrench
05-02-2010, 22:21
I didn't see him no do I know the name at this point but I got a message from a fellow maintainer who has the section just south of me that he had a GaMe pass through on the 29th. The fellow said he had started in Feb.

I met ToeMan (?) at the NJ/NY line the afternoon of 4/23. He said he had started in February. He said he thought there was one other thru ahead of him, and that he thought the guy ahead of him had skipped the Smokies due to the snow, and perhaps some other sections.

Remembering my thru-hiker appetite, I gave him half of the grinder I was packing for the evening meal.

sasquatch2014
05-02-2010, 22:35
I met ToeMan (?) at the NJ/NY line the afternoon of 4/23. He said he had started in February. He said he thought there was one other thru ahead of him, and that he thought the guy ahead of him had skipped the Smokies due to the snow, and perhaps some other sections.

Remembering my thru-hiker appetite, I gave him half of the grinder I was packing for the evening meal.

That could have been the same guy would be close to the right timeframe.

Nature Boy
05-03-2010, 00:04
If that is true, then it looks as if I will continue my lonely hike. I keep hoping for some company. Last thru-hiker I ran into was Molasses just north of Hot Springs.

Yukon
05-03-2010, 10:12
I met Toeman on top of Stratton Mountain in VT yesterday, he said he started February 14th and that there was one guy ahead of him but he heard that guy skipped the Smokies. Seemed like a nice guy, said he was doing about 30 mile days and that he has been hiking in snow ALOT. He mentioned passing Trek in Pearisburgh.

sasquatch2014
05-03-2010, 10:14
I met Toeman on top of Stratton Mountain in VT yesterday, he said he started February 14th and that there was one guy ahead of him but he heard that guy skipped the Smokies. Seemed like a nice guy, said he was doing about 30 mile days and that he has been hiking in snow ALOT. He mentioned passing Trek in Pearisburgh.

Well I guess it was a different thru that the other maintainer saw because he said he saw him in NY on 4/29 so it must be someone other than Toeman

HeartWalker
05-03-2010, 10:54
Cricket, Eight Bells, Bison, Scout?

Pootz
05-03-2010, 11:09
Talked to Vicky at the Doyle Hotel, she has had a few thru hikers so far the year. Alway nice to stop by the Doyle when I get a chance.

sasquatch2014
05-10-2010, 16:47
Was out clearing my section of trail today. The damn grass is growing so quick this year it's crazy. I met a fellow by the name of Partly Cloudy who is coming up from HF. He did up to HF last year. Asked him about others around him and he said he has had a few folks blow by him but never really had much conversation with them. He said that Trek would have just passed through my area in the last day or so as well. He was in good spirits and even happier to hear that the Ht Dog truck was still at the road.

astrogirl
05-12-2010, 16:03
I just hiked from TN91 to Carver's Gap (5/5 to 5/10). Everybody is in a big ol' hurry to make it to Trail Days.

I ran into dozens of thrus, of course, and these are the only names I can come up with at the moment:

Bimbo, Snack Attack, H2, Lift and Step, Nature's Own, G-Hippie, Miles (Two of those), Salty, Achilles the Red, Sideshow, Country Gold, Ripple, Gypsy Lulu, Trashman, Dumpster Bear, Mountain Tattoo, Carvin, Tiny Dancer, Ugly Tuna, Wingin' It, Lowrider, Squirrel, Sly

If you know any of these folks, I can tell you where and when I ran into them. I'm pretty sure I will be able to remember that for a little longer. :D

Carabiner Queen
05-12-2010, 18:17
Any thru hikers in PA in the area of Lehigh Gap the week of June 15... Look for Carabiner Queen and Amelia Trailheart. We hope to be there with some trail magic and rides to Palmerton. We're also heading out tomorrow for section hiking to Harpers Ferry.
Happy Trails !!!!

Lellers
05-12-2010, 21:48
Any thru hikers in PA in the area of Lehigh Gap the week of June 15... Look for Carabiner Queen and Amelia Trailheart. We hope to be there with some trail magic and rides to Palmerton. We're also heading out tomorrow for section hiking to Harpers Ferry.
Happy Trails !!!!

I was actually thinking of organizing a bit of trail magic through my chapter of Trail Dames (Delaware Valley) about that time. Maybe we can combine forces? PM me if interested. Enjoy your section hike!

lvleph
05-15-2010, 15:45
Met up with 7D and GreyWanderer out at Wise Shelter and then gave them a ride into Troutdale, yesterday. Had a nice lunch with them. Also, saw the Trashman in Troutdale.

JRiker
05-17-2010, 12:34
met g-hippie at quincy's pizza in damascus. nice guy, gave me his table when he got up.

FritztheCat
05-17-2010, 15:21
Met Phantom at Waynesboro on the 12th of May. Hiked into Calf Mountain Shelter on the 13th and saw three thrus. Only got the name of Veggie though. Didn't catch the other two.

adamkrz
05-20-2010, 15:10
Just saw a thru hiker named ( The Kid ) hiking with a friend just north of the Wilcox south shelter.

He started in Feb. and said there are at least 3 people ahead of him and thinks another hiker named Toe-man is already in Maine.

Hoop Time
05-20-2010, 23:11
Met Lil' Buddha this afternoon while at Pine Grove Furnace State Park for an update on the AT Museum. He started in Key West in January and hit Springer March 15. He is doing the Eastern Continental Trail route from Key West to Newfoundland as his second leg of a triple crown effort. Did PCT last year.

He said there was another guy not far behind him but he didn't materialize while I was there, just three section hikers with no trail names.

sasquatch2014
05-26-2010, 07:29
Met the Picnic Sisters today and gave them and their friend who is out doing a section with them a ride down to the deli and back. We had a good chat and filled them in on swimming options as it's going to be 90 today.

Yukon
05-26-2010, 07:50
I met a few thru's this weekend going over Glastenbury in VT, although for the life of me I can't remember all of their trail names. I remember one was called "Uncle Frank". Another kid I met was called "sorefoot", but he started in Pennsylvania so I guess he'd be a section hiker. His idea was that if he could do half the trail then he could handle the whole thing.

JJJ
05-26-2010, 07:51
Wrongway was just a couple of miles south of Damascus 5/22. He had left Springer on about 4/27 I think.

Stairway was at Abingdon Gap Shelter with his guitar, headed to the next shelter south on Sunday 5/23

Waynesboro
05-30-2010, 20:54
I brought a truckload of hikers into Waynesboro on Saturday, they were: Cowgirl, Alkaline, Stretcher, Rocky, Skip, (something that sounded like Platypus) and the dog was named Kelly Wabbit. You can see them at http://wboro.biz/a0529 [Waynesboro.Com].

Greg

BrianLe
06-01-2010, 10:17
Met Lil' Buddha this afternoon while at Pine Grove Furnace State Park for an update on the AT Museum. He started in Key West in January and hit Springer March 15. He is doing the Eastern Continental Trail route from Key West to Newfoundland as his second leg of a triple crown effort. Did PCT last year.

He said there was another guy not far behind him but he didn't materialize while I was there, just three section hikers with no trail names.

Three section hikers? As of Trail Days, Little Budda was with Cowboy, Subbie, and, rats, I forget the other fellows name --- shaven head, anyway. Subbie went to Walmart and they got Little Budda dressed as a spitting image of the Dahli Lama for the hiker parade --- I wish I had got a picture.

Kerosene
06-01-2010, 12:36
Said our good-byes and good lucks to Dutchess and son Trashcan at Winding Stair Gap on Friday, May 28. They plan to skip a section to catch up with the main group of thrus sometime this summer, and then hitch back to finish what they skipped. Hiking 10-15 a day right now, but Dutchess is having some shin problems and Trashcan's left foot is apparently pretty blistered.

hellomolly
06-01-2010, 13:47
Three section hikers? As of Trail Days, Little Budda was with Cowboy, Subbie, and, rats, I forget the other fellows name --- shaven head, anyway. Subbie went to Walmart and they got Little Budda dressed as a spitting image of the Dahli Lama for the hiker parade --- I wish I had got a picture.

Rooster? Last I heard Cowboy, Subbie and others have been hiking with Rooster, Roaring Lion, 40, Rocker... etc. Not sure tho.

Daydream Believer
06-01-2010, 13:56
I ran into a couple last week still in GA/NC but moving fast. A young man named "T-Kat" who was doing 20 miles a day and looked very strong, and a young woman named "Nuthatch" who left us section hikers way behind...she is also moving fast. I met T-Kat at Big Spring Shelter and he was headed for NOC and Nuthatch around Blue Mountain Shelter. One older hiker was called "Nice Walking Stick" and the other was "Doc" and I think they were either doing a flip flop or a very long section hike.

There was another fellow called "Matty Bones" who was going to flip flop also at Harpers Ferry to get to Maine before snowfall. He got off at Dick's Creek Gap not feeling well and I have no idea if he's still on the trail or not.

I ran into an older man almost 70 years old called "Tex" who thruhiked in 2000 and did a lot of the PCT also. He was headed NOBO also moving pretty fast with a friend who I did not catch his name. I don't think he was thru hiking this year but was going at least to Damascus. I was pretty impressed with the fitness on him and his friend. They were putting in 15 mile days in some tough sections like around Unicoi Gap.

adamkrz
06-01-2010, 16:01
Talked to ( Almost There ) yesterday just north of benedict pond in southern Mass. Very nice guy and in good spirts.

hellomolly
06-01-2010, 22:12
Talked to ( Almost There ) yesterday just north of benedict pond in southern Mass. Very nice guy and in good spirts.

That's my guy! :eek::D:D:D:D:D My boyfriend, that is. You just made my day. :sun

sasquatch2014
06-03-2010, 22:33
Well while out doing 3 plus hours of weed eating between the train stop and Telephone Pioneer Shelter I saw two Thrus and one LD section hiker. Today I met and had a chance to chill with Go State who is ding the scond half of the trail to wrap up from 07 from Pine Grove up to the big K! I also had a chance to meet and chill with Bean, Gandolf & Shadow Fax the dog. We chilled for a bit and then gave them a ride up the deli and Back. And thus ends the Deli Run in NY. Hello New England!

Tin Man
06-03-2010, 22:37
chrome://click2call/content/FONcall_icon.png[/IMG] (javascript:void(1))
Call with FONcall™
1019895 (javascript:void(1))
Connecting...

Connected!

Error: could not place call

bug? (javascript:void(1))

]Well while out doing 3 plus hours of weed eating between the train stop and Telephone Pioneer Shelter I saw two Thrus and one LD section hiker. Today I met and had a chance to chill with Go State who is ding the scond half of the trail to wrap up from 07 from Pine Grove up to the big K! I also had a chance to meet and chill with Bean, Gandolf & Shadow Fax the dog. We chilled for a bit and then gave them a ride up the deli and Back. And thus ends the Deli Run in NY. Hello New England!

Yeah, Hello New England and many more delis.

Bloomer
06-03-2010, 23:01
Just left the trail after three weeks:

Robo Juesus... the bionic savior
Nature
Little Dipper
Red Wind
Caveman
Bandito
First Man

All above I left at the Doyle Hotel eating well in Happy spirits.. I will miss hiking with them!

SmokyMtn Hiker
06-03-2010, 23:41
Spent last Saturday night 5/29 at Mountaineer Falls shelter with Hat Trick, Blue and Watermelon they were NOBO. They said they left Springer late April and early May and had traveling together for the past few days. There were some people over at the tenting area also that they spoke to so I assume they were thru hikers but didn't get any names. They were moving along well so they should be to Damascus by now if not further.

trailangelmary
06-04-2010, 08:13

Nature
Little Dipper
Red Wind
Caveman
Bandito
First Man

All above I left at the Doyle Hotel eating well in Happy spirits.. I will miss hiking with them!

These hikers later eating at Sorrentos.

trailangelmary
06-04-2010, 08:24
Hikers having lunch at The Pub in Duncannon on Wednesday, June 2. I had the pleasure of cooking for them.

trailangelmary
06-04-2010, 08:45
First outfitter run of the season. First went to Wildware Outfitters - selection slim due to rough 2 years with economy and competing with larger chain stores. But I got webbing to use with my hammock that was given to me at traildays and some paracord for the lead lines for the tarp to go with it.
From there went to Gander Mountain and Dick's sporting goods. They found everything they needed except replacement tube for platypus.

trailangelmary
06-04-2010, 08:55
Nice southern boys doing a section starting in Harper's Ferry. I let them use my car to go to grocery store while I was working at Pub.

trailangelmary
06-04-2010, 12:10
Hikers at the Doyle on May 27. I heard them talking about wanting stickers for their leki's. I geared them up.

sasquatch2014
06-05-2010, 00:03
Had a nice time chatting with Switch Back at the Shelter just out of town. She told me of the first big bubble coming up soon in the next day or two. She and I and Hank just sat and enjoyed the evening as things cooled down from a high near 90 degrees.

Del Q
06-05-2010, 07:23
Sounds about right, Trek, Toe Man, Eric, Nature Boy.........ran into most of these hikers in early April South of Waynesboro, they were all doing big miles......it is now June, expect that some are done or soon to be done. Some people get up REALLY early to begin hiking, never know where they might be along the AT.

GeneralLee10
06-05-2010, 08:49
I the General Lee will be in DWG today

GeneralLee10
06-05-2010, 08:52
Hikers at the Doyle on May 27. I heard them talking about wanting stickers for their leki's. I geared them up.

That is Wildman and Twigs, I was there on that day as well. Still hiking with Wildman he is the young kid with no beard. Good guy and his folks.

Virginia Trails
06-07-2010, 19:30
We walked by the Bearfence Hut in Shenandoah this evening and saw:

Beans
Crusher
Gravy
Marty McFly
Caribou
(and several others whose names I don't remember)

There was a good-sized crowd at the hut - 10+.

We also gave a ride to two guys - Tornado and So Far.

Virginia Trails
06-08-2010, 13:29
The name of another hiker we spotted last night just popped into my head - Pyro.

I think Biscuits (the girlfriend of Gravy) walked into camp just as we were headed out.

jfarrell04
06-09-2010, 09:36
Met Mohawk, Wanderer, T-Rex and several other northbounders whose names I didn't catch at Chestnut Knob on Saturday June 5th.

Carbo
06-12-2010, 16:07
Today during my hike south from Sunfish pond near the DWG I met
Hobbs - at sunfish around 10:30
Peanut
Hollywood
Bandito
All about half hour apart, Bandito was with about six other thrus.

Chicken Feathers
07-08-2010, 21:45
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

J5man
07-08-2010, 22:23
About a month ago I met a guy from England; LJ aka "London Joe" in the Burkes Garden part of the trail in southern VA. Nice lad.

johnnybgood
07-09-2010, 16:59
Gave a ride Monday to a hiker named Ray , trail name (Shovel) , from Powell Gap in Shenandoah Natl. Park to the post office in Elkton.

Monday being a holiday as it were , the post office was closed .

I shuttled him back and suggested he make camp near Swift Run entrance station and get a ride into town Tuesday.

Shovel is nearing the flip end of his hike in Harpers Ferry.

GalHikingTheGap
07-25-2010, 21:14
Saw Dumbass, Snoopy, Lift-N-Step, Spoon, and Che all in NJ in the last couple of weeks.

CatchUp
08-04-2010, 09:48
I met a few hikers at Peter's Mountain shelter on 8/1/10.
Hindsite
T-Bone
Joe (not sure if this is his real name or not)

paradoxb3
08-12-2010, 16:04

Nature
Little Dipper
Red Wind
Caveman
Bandito
First Man

I wasnt in marys photos as i went home for a visit for 5 days when i got to duncannon, but we all just finished on Aug 10th (Lil' Dipper, Redwing*, Peanut, Hobbes, Bandito, Robo-Jesus(+ his dog Patches), Gumby, and me. First Man and Nature finished a few days before us.

-Caveman

trailangelmary
08-17-2010, 14:22
Southbounders coming through Duncannon in bigger numbers

jersey joe
08-17-2010, 14:49
I saw "Easy" at the NY/NJ state line on Friday 8/13/10.

slugger
08-23-2010, 13:19
Stayed with "easy" and "bishop" at Windsor Furnace on the 21st. Both seemed in good spirits and pulling 26 mile days.

Also met stayed with 2 NoBos that night. Can't seem to remember their names. They where talking about flipping around the 1500 mile mark as they felt they were running late.

Driver8
08-24-2010, 01:41
Met Bloodhound from North Carolina on Bear Mountain, CT, 7/17/2010, late AM, and shared the summit cairn with him and several others (I'll post pix soon). Very nice, personable fellow, a pleasure to talk with, esp. as a fellow southerner. He started, iirc, in February at Springer, was moving deliberately and consistently, he said 10-15 mi/day. He's in his 60s or thereabouts. By now, if all is still going well, he should be somewhere near Mt. Lafayette, NH. Here's hoping the trail is going happily and smoothly for the Hound! Anyone else meet this very genial fellow on his travels?

Jeff
10-17-2010, 22:06
Saw NOBO Canadian Geese at The Gathering as well as current SOBO'er Baby Face. They were participating in a panel discussion with prospective thruhikers.

The next day saw flipflopper Go Fish at MRO's hostel in Damascus.

Red Hat
10-18-2010, 11:34
Lots of NOBO us tenners at the gathering, but only one SOBO. It was nice to meet Babyface.

Daydream Believer
10-18-2010, 20:47
I ran into three Sobo thru's between NOC and Fontana over the weekend. I sectioned from Winding Stair to Fontana nobo.

Thor who flipflopped..met him just above NO. Met Ballhawk who flipflopped also. I camped with him at Cody Gap and we had a great time around the campfire chatting. The next morning I ran into a young lady Sobo (all the way Sobo) named "Whoopie Pie." All the hikers looked strong and in great spirits.

My best wishes to all three to make it to Springer!

Country Roads
10-26-2010, 19:57
Anyone know how Mother Goose is doing? Saw her at Pinefield shelter in SNP around Sept 24ish after a 20 mile day. Hope she is doing well.

mechengr
11-14-2010, 21:45
On a 4 day trip (Nov 9-12) between I-40 and Hot Springs NC I ran into 3 SOBOs. I saw Pickin' and Grinnin' around lunch time on Nov 10 at the Roaring Fork Shelter and Tiny Tim was tent camping with us at the Deer Park Mtn Shelter the night of Nov 11. All were in high spirits and were planning to be home for Thanksgiving dinner. Tiny Tim was heading to the Standing Bear hostel. 30 miles in a day! Amazing!

Flatlander SC

Spokes
11-15-2010, 00:39
I ran into 3 SOBO's at Fontana Dam on 11-10-2010...... 2 speed, A-Bear, and Pharmacy.

Jeff
11-15-2010, 07:15
Here's a picture of A-Bear in July at our hostel in Manchester, VT:

http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=555803

Chicken Feathers
11-15-2010, 13:05
About a month ago I met a guy from England; LJ aka "London Joe" in the Burkes Garden part of the trail in southern VA. Nice lad. Saw him going up the mountain at Fontana Dam. November14

mountain squid
11-17-2010, 19:15
SOBOs have been slowly trickling through the area.

On Sat, saw the following hiker S of Moreland Gap Shelter:

Low Step

During some trail maint today, saw the following hiker at Doll Flats:

Black Eagle

Good Luck to both as they finish up.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

mechengr
11-19-2010, 17:02
Has anyone seen Tiny Tim? He should be south of the Smokys