PDA

View Full Version : Getting to Kenosha Pass

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 12:34
Here is our plan thus far.
7/2 fly to Denver, arrive about 12:30 pm. We are looking at trying to get to Kenosha Pass. I see that there is a campground there. We would like to get from Denver to the vacinity of Kenosha Pass by dinnertime of the 2nd. Anyone got further info. I have looked at Mags article and just want more input.

sasquatch2014
02-11-2010, 20:42
it's not really a commuter route but gets a good amount of traffic going out that way but not all the way up. You may be able to hitch at the end of public transport but could be sketchy too.

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 23:04
Contacted Leadville Hostel

sasquatch2014
02-11-2010, 23:09
Have you talked to Mags about it? He may have some ideas or be willing to give a WB'er a lift. Not really in the area that he lives but in wester distance it's all relative. If I were still down in Monument i would have driven up to give you a hand if nothing else to have a chance to meet you face to face but that is just me. I lived in Wyo it was 2 hrs to a Red Lobster or a mall.

Now i live on the east coast in Hell! When is your trip maybe I'll drive out to give you a lift just to get out of here.

Mags
02-11-2010, 23:10
There is an RTD (Denver) (http://www.rtd-denver.com/) bus that goes to Pine Jct via 285. You can take the bus from the airport to Pine Jct (http://www3.rtd-denver.com/tripplanner/getGoogleTrip.action?origin=landmark&destination=landmark&returnTrip=false&tripPlannerServiceName=&tripPlannerServiceType=CURRENT&tripPlannerSelect=google&pFromIntersection1=&pFromIntersection2=&pFromStreet=&landmarkOriginCategories=1&landmarkOriginLandmarks=Denver+International+Airpo rt+%28East%29%401735019%2C3232268&pFromWalkingDistance=4&pToIntersection1=&pToIntersection2=&pToStreet=&landmarkDestinCategories=10&landmarkDestinLandmarks=Pine+Junction+Park+And+Rid e%401594716%2C3029998&pToWalkingDistance=4&pWhen=dep&googleDay=2%2F26%2F2010&pDay=1&hour=1&minute=11&ampm=p&pIncludeDataField=&pExcludeDataField=&pPreference=2).

From Pine Jct you can take the Gunnison Valley transit:
http://www.gunnisonvalleyrta.org/denver-bus-schedule.php

It goes to Jefferson from Pine Jct via 285, which means it goes OVER Kenosha Pass.

I'm sure if you asked nicely, the bus driver would probably drop you off there at the large parking area. :) Greyhound drops hikers off at Molas pass, for example.

It is kind of late in the day and you'll miss the bus to Kenosha Pass. You may have to stealth camp (easy enough in this wooded area. The 'town' of Pine Jct is rather small) or hitch. All the traffic will be going in that general area. Bailey, a resupply town for the CT is the next real town up the highway. From Bailey, you go over Kenosha Pass to Jefferson. At the very least, you could do a longish two stage hitch. There is a LOT of traffic on this road..esp on a holiday weekend.

FWIW, Pine Jct has a good bar and grill ( Cross Roads Restaurant) I go to for post Lost Creek Wilderness hikes.

There is a good chance I'll be out of town 4th of July weekend myself. :)

Chaco Taco
02-12-2010, 10:58
There is an RTD (Denver) (http://www.rtd-denver.com/) bus that goes to Pine Jct via 285. You can take the bus from the airport to Pine Jct (http://www3.rtd-denver.com/tripplanner/getGoogleTrip.action?origin=landmark&destination=landmark&returnTrip=false&tripPlannerServiceName=&tripPlannerServiceType=CURRENT&tripPlannerSelect=google&pFromIntersection1=&pFromIntersection2=&pFromStreet=&landmarkOriginCategories=1&landmarkOriginLandmarks=Denver+International+Airpo rt+%28East%29%401735019%2C3232268&pFromWalkingDistance=4&pToIntersection1=&pToIntersection2=&pToStreet=&landmarkDestinCategories=10&landmarkDestinLandmarks=Pine+Junction+Park+And+Rid e%401594716%2C3029998&pToWalkingDistance=4&pWhen=dep&googleDay=2%2F26%2F2010&pDay=1&hour=1&minute=11&ampm=p&pIncludeDataField=&pExcludeDataField=&pPreference=2).

From Pine Jct you can take the Gunnison Valley transit:
http://www.gunnisonvalleyrta.org/denver-bus-schedule.php

It goes to Jefferson from Pine Jct via 285, which means it goes OVER Kenosha Pass.

I'm sure if you asked nicely, the bus driver would probably drop you off there at the large parking area. :) Greyhound drops hikers off at Molas pass, for example.

It is kind of late in the day and you'll miss the bus to Kenosha Pass. You may have to stealth camp (easy enough in this wooded area. The 'town' of Pine Jct is rather small) or hitch. All the traffic will be going in that general area. Bailey, a resupply town for the CT is the next real town up the highway. From Bailey, you go over Kenosha Pass to Jefferson. At the very least, you could do a longish two stage hitch. There is a LOT of traffic on this road..esp on a holiday weekend.

FWIW, Pine Jct has a good bar and grill ( Cross Roads Restaurant) I go to for post Lost Creek Wilderness hikes.

There is a good chance I'll be out of town 4th of July weekend myself. :)

Hey which one of the bus stations is closest to the airport?

garlic08
02-12-2010, 12:37
The airport IS a bus station. Follow Mags' suggested trip planner and you'll go through the downtown transit center, the main bus station. You can skip the intermediate transfer to the CV route and probably walk it faster.

Chaco Taco
02-12-2010, 17:21
The airport IS a bus station. Follow Mags' suggested trip planner and you'll go through the downtown transit center, the main bus station. You can skip the intermediate transfer to the CV route and probably walk it faster.

Ahh I didnt see the thing on the planner.

ChrisFol
03-07-2010, 02:33
Ahh I didnt see the thing on the planner.
Chaco,

My plans for a 3rd year on the CT took a dive in recent days, however I do live in downtown Denver and I am willing to offer a fellow CTer a ride within the local vicinity.

The 2nd is a little bit tight-- it is my wife's birthday on the 10th and we'll be traveling the 285 all the way to Poncha Springs, which goes over Kenosha Pass and thus a ride is available-- but our dates are not quite set in stone. Let me know if you are flexible.

If not, then I hope you enjoy the CT this year-- it is one hell of a trail.

P.S.
If you are thru-hiking to Durango then we may be there at the end of July, beginning of August and may be able to provide a ride back to Denver around this time.

Chaco Taco
03-07-2010, 19:22
Thanks for the offer but we have to cancel our trip. I preciate it

Chaco,

My plans for a 3rd year on the CT took a dive in recent days, however I do live in downtown Denver and I am willing to offer a fellow CTer a ride within the local vicinity.

The 2nd is a little bit tight-- it is my wife's birthday on the 10th and we'll be traveling the 285 all the way to Poncha Springs, which goes over Kenosha Pass and thus a ride is available-- but our dates are not quite set in stone. Let me know if you are flexible.

If not, then I hope you enjoy the CT this year-- it is one hell of a trail.

P.S.
If you are thru-hiking to Durango then we may be there at the end of July, beginning of August and may be able to provide a ride back to Denver around this time.