PDA

View Full Version : Good Trailjournal to watch right now?

Nuthatch
02-11-2010, 13:29
Can anyone recommend a good TJ to read right now, of someone who started NOBO in Jan or Feb?

sasquatch2014
02-11-2010, 13:30
Check out Second Stage and Farmah's journal pages. they are both on trail right now.

BrianLe
02-11-2010, 13:35
Chef Rich's audio blog on http://trailphone.net/ has been the best I've encountered thus far, particularly in terms of how far along the trail he is and how frequently he's been calling in entries.

Thrasher
02-11-2010, 18:25
Chef Rich's is good. Check it out.

Red Hat
02-11-2010, 19:22
I also recommend Second Stage. Longhaul is good reading, but he's not on the trail yet.

Cabin Fever
02-11-2010, 21:38
I had no idea that the trailphone site existed. That is super cool.

sasquatch2014
02-11-2010, 21:52
I listened to all of Chef's reports today. Would be even better if he sounded like Isaac Hayes.:)

Spokes
02-11-2010, 22:09
I had no idea that the trailphone site existed. That is super cool.

I agree! I used TrailPhone, Trailjournals, and YouTube on last years hike. People liked all the different formats but consistently complimented the audio updates.

moytoy
02-11-2010, 22:23
I also recommend Second Stage. Longhaul is good reading, but he's not on the trail yet.

Second Stage is a little down right now because of the weather but I think she will pull through and get back on the trail. She seems to have a strong will to go on.

Cool AT Breeze
02-11-2010, 22:41
I talked to Second Stage while she was here. I think she be fine.

Mango
02-11-2010, 22:41
Check out Red Dane in '06.

sasquatch2014
02-11-2010, 23:03
Last I saw both she and Farmah were up and over Tray Mt. The up and back that she did when the ice was falling sounded like it was a bit of a blow but looks like she is pat that and moving on.

thelowend
02-11-2010, 23:37
lilbuddhas trailjournal is awesome. he is doing the ECT which will keep us entertained for a good year.

LeeAllure
02-12-2010, 01:03
Two days ago I read singlemalt's 1999 AT trail journal. It made for good reading, even if it is a little old. Yesterday I started Second stage's journal. I recommend it as well.

Lee

Praha4
02-12-2010, 01:16
I've been reading Second Stage's journal, she mentioned hearing a bear during the nite at Low Gap shelter. There seems to be a lot of bear activity around Low Gap shelter... we saw a fairly good size bear near that shelter back in mid November, and I've read other reports of bear activity near there in the past.

Darn shame she made it all the way from Unicoi Gap to Tray Mtn and turned back cuz of the ice. Hope she has better weather soon. There is still Kelly's Knob to climb after Tray Mtn, and there are some narrow rocky ledges along there, where footing could be tricky with ice on the ground, but other than Kellys Knob its all downhill from Tray mtn to Dicks Creek Gap.

Rowdy Yates
02-12-2010, 10:03
Check out Brenda and Tom Carrington Journals. They left 01 January 2010 and made it to Hiawassee before the first snow storm hit and decided to take a few zero days before attempting to resume.

HeartFire
02-12-2010, 18:00
Gotta read Longhaul. He's an incredibly funny writer.

Red Hat
02-12-2010, 22:04
Gotta read Longhaul. He's an incredibly funny writer.

And he's even funnier in person! I had the pleasure of hiking with him in 05. His Easterbunny ears were a hoot. And the tit for tat between him and Breakaleg (his transcriber) are fantastic. boy I miss the 05ers...

takethisbread
02-13-2010, 04:05
Check out Brenda and Tom Carrington Journals. They left 01 January 2010 and made it to Hiawassee before the first snow storm hit and decided to take a few zero days before attempting to resume.

They last posted January 27th, I think they gave up.

Reid
02-13-2010, 11:57
Chef Rich's audio blog on http://trailphone.net/ has been the best I've encountered thus far, particularly in terms of how far along the trail he is and how frequently he's been calling in entries.

That's preety cool

Cedar Shaft
02-15-2010, 03:03
New to the site and enjoying the trailphone. Didnt know it existed but it is nice to hear the voice and curious to see how Chef changes. Good timing on following a thru hiker.

Just planning for 2020!!

RollingStone
02-15-2010, 04:25
Just to let folks know... Hipcast and Gabcast are similar services that will also integrate with your Blogger or Wordpress blog.

Gabcast seems to be easiest to deal with. Setup account, dial in number, record your message, shows up on your blog.

Just an option if thee are folks out there who like the thought of audio updates.

lilricky
02-15-2010, 09:41
New to the site and enjoying the trailphone. Didnt know it existed but it is nice to hear the voice and curious to see how Chef changes. Good timing on following a thru hiker.

Just planning for 2020!!

I was wondering about Chef, hope everything is ok, he hasn't left a message in 5 days. Perhaps its his battery.

hikingff77
02-15-2010, 10:29
I agree! I used TrailPhone, Trailjournals, and YouTube on last years hike. People liked all the different formats but consistently complimented the audio updates.

Just checked some of your TJ page out, you certainly documented your trip well!

Thanks.

Spokes
02-15-2010, 11:07
Just checked some of your TJ page out, you certainly documented your trip well!

Thanks.

hikingff77, I appreciate the nice words! Kudos goes to my transcriber (Ron) who kept the site up to date.

BrianLe
02-15-2010, 14:39
"I was wondering about Chef, hope everything is ok, he hasn't left a message in 5 days. Perhaps its his battery."

On the PCT my approach was to type up a journal entry for literally every trail day, just a sort of standard thing-to-do after dinner and before sleep. I start on the AT in 10 days, and intend to do the same thing.

But I certainly couldn't upload journal entries every day. Likely more cell towers in range along the AT, but still --- it's partly battery power, it's partly having (good enough) cell reception, and it's partly just having the time to do it. I got my trail name on the PCT from taking a break after cresting a ridge to upload a few days worth of collected journal entries. Photos make it even more of a wild card; I typically upload a photo for some but not every day's worth, but this takes more upload time (and bytes).

It could be that Chef Rich is in the habit of calling in his updates at the end of each day, which makes the "where's the nearest cell tower" a bigger factor.

SawnieRobertson
02-15-2010, 20:38

They were so positive thinking that I believe they just holed up at home, waiting for this winter onslaught to lighten up a bit. I'll bet they will be journaling their walk again pretty soon.--Kinnickinic

Brian (aka Skippy)
02-16-2010, 08:25
They were so positive thinking that I believe they just holed up at home, waiting for this winter onslaught to lighten up a bit. I'll bet they will be journaling their walk again pretty soon.--Kinnickinic

That's what I think. There was a long gap between their start date and their updates. They posted a large amount of journals, all at once. I'm expecting them to update soon.

Maddog
02-16-2010, 08:34

its been over 2 weeks since their last post...i hope they didn't leave the trail!:-? maddog

Lemni Skate
02-16-2010, 08:42
I don't think missing a few days right now means someone has given up. I have been watching the Weather Channel religiously and it has been snowing on the Georgia, NC and TN sections of the trail pretty much every day in February. If someone decides to hit a hostel for a week I can't blame them. If they're trudging through I doubt they have much time to worry about their trail journal. I bet if we stick with these journals we'll get updates soon enough with some more incredible weather stories.

eric j
02-16-2010, 10:45
I was impressed that a couple of such tenure would attempt a thru so early, but she hasnt posted since they left trail 1/31

Turtle Feet
02-18-2010, 21:43
OK, so I'm listening to Chef Rich's update that posted today, but in the message he says "Feb 11,12,13" so it's taken a while to post.... anyway he's off the trail due to deep snow and blow-downs - sounded as if he plans to get back on somewhere down the road, but not clear as to when or where.

sasquatch2014
02-18-2010, 23:36
Second Stage is in Franklin and warming up. She and Farmah are two that I have been following pretty close.

He hasn't updated TJ but Takethisbread dropped me a line and said he is doing ok it was cold and snowy just like it has been all winter up here so no big shake. He did say a lot of folks were getting off trail due to weather not sure if for good or just for a few days. Maybe a bit of both.

Cool AT Breeze
02-18-2010, 23:46
Saw takethisbread two days ago. He's with Old Man River. He looks good and was in good spirits.

sasquatch2014
02-18-2010, 23:58
Saw takethisbread two days ago. He's with Old Man River. He looks good and was in good spirits.

Cool he is moving right along then.

SurferNerd
02-19-2010, 02:07
Mine.... http://athiker2010.blogspot.com

lilricky
02-20-2010, 11:49
Chef Rich posted on trailphone that the trail is impassable from somewhere past Nantahala Center to Fontana Dam with heavy blowdowns and widowmakers. Not to mention a foot and a half of snow on the trail. I emailed the ATC, hopefully trail crews will be out soon to clear the blowdowns.

rjridgely
02-21-2010, 12:36
Hey everyone...
thanks to those who listened to my Trailphone posts.

To Clear up any speculation, wondering or cyber-hiking rumors......

I started Jan 21st from FS42, it was raining hard and did no go to the Springer Summit. It was basically crappy weather and bare ground until I got to Neel Gap. From Neel Gap until within 2-3 miles of NOC I walked in some form of crusty or powder snow, ice, ice steps etc. Thank goodness for my VASQUE Super Alpinista mountaineering boots. Hiawassee Inn IS CLOSED. Something to do with the previous mgrs getting out late last summer and the new mgrs getting busted for running a meth lab mid Jan (accouding to the prev. mgr). Took 2 hours to go 2 miles thru the Rhod's at Dick's Creek gap after the Ice Storm, I really needed a machete....&.....my petzl ice climbing helmet......hit on head 4 times by falling ice and once by a 2" x 3 foot limb over the next 2 days. I encountered one THRU (Nature Boy) @ Rock Gap Shelter and one other THRU (Rocck) @Wayah Shelter. Both younger and faster hiking than thee. I was again alone at NOC...had the entire Bunkhouse system to myself. Met up again with Rocck the morning of my 2nd day at NOC. He had gone ahead of me, made it to Sassafras Gap Sheltrt, tried to head on to Brown Fork Shelter and not omly lost the trail because of blowdowns and un-seeable blazes but was so slowed from his normal pace....he turned around. He called ahead to Stand Bear Hostel and spoke with Curtis who advised that trying the Smokies was ill advised.....2 THRU's (names unk) just took 13 days to get through them and were so badly bruised, cut & worn out that they stayed a day and left the trail.

I did not leave the trail at this point because I was hurt or scared or or mentally unfit / prepared etc. I left because I was for the most part SOLOING. Years and Years of wintering in the NH White Mts. & discussions with both a hiker 30 years younger than me AND a hostel owner who has seen MUCH more over the years than me & my brain (personal survival tool).........all led to my decision.

No right...no wrong...just instinct.

If ya need more details...just ask.....

[email protected]

Chef Rich

PS. APPLE THE TRAIL ANGEL ROCKS THIS WORLD FROM BURNINGTOWN GAP......SORRY LATE STARTERS.... FEBRUARY IS HIS MONTH THIS YEAR.....TOO MANY THRU'S & DAY HIKERS TOOK ADVANTAGE LAST YEAR.... HE WANTED 1 OR 2 REAL HIKERS A DAY TO COMFORT THIS YEAR

MotoGypsy
03-02-2010, 16:49

I didn't know about TrailPhone either, what a cool site! I just signed up... Maybe this will satisfy everyone that wants me to get the SPOT GPS thinky? :rolleyes:

Maybe it is just me, but TrailJournals is kind of a busy website... TrailPhone seems pretty simple for friends and family to check out! :banana

Egads
03-02-2010, 20:22
Hey everyone...
thanks to those who listened to my Trailphone posts.

To Clear up any speculation, wondering or cyber-hiking rumors......

I started Jan 21st from FS42, it was raining hard and did no go to the Springer Summit. It was basically crappy weather and bare ground until I got to Neel Gap. From Neel Gap until within 2-3 miles of NOC I walked in some form of crusty or powder snow, ice, ice steps etc. Thank goodness for my VASQUE Super Alpinista mountaineering boots. Hiawassee Inn IS CLOSED. Something to do with the previous mgrs getting out late last summer and the new mgrs getting busted for running a meth lab mid Jan (accouding to the prev. mgr). Took 2 hours to go 2 miles thru the Rhod's at Dick's Creek gap after the Ice Storm, I really needed a machete....&.....my petzl ice climbing helmet......hit on head 4 times by falling ice and once by a 2" x 3 foot limb over the next 2 days. I encountered one THRU (Nature Boy) @ Rock Gap Shelter and one other THRU (Rocck) @Wayah Shelter. Both younger and faster hiking than thee. I was again alone at NOC...had the entire Bunkhouse system to myself. Met up again with Rocck the morning of my 2nd day at NOC. He had gone ahead of me, made it to Sassafras Gap Sheltrt, tried to head on to Brown Fork Shelter and not omly lost the trail because of blowdowns and un-seeable blazes but was so slowed from his normal pace....he turned around. He called ahead to Stand Bear Hostel and spoke with Curtis who advised that trying the Smokies was ill advised.....2 THRU's (names unk) just took 13 days to get through them and were so badly bruised, cut & worn out that they stayed a day and left the trail.

I did not leave the trail at this point because I was hurt or scared or or mentally unfit / prepared etc. I left because I was for the most part SOLOING. Years and Years of wintering in the NH White Mts. & discussions with both a hiker 30 years younger than me AND a hostel owner who has seen MUCH more over the years than me & my brain (personal survival tool).........all led to my decision.

No right...no wrong...just instinct.

If ya need more details...just ask.....

[email protected]

Chef Rich

PS. APPLE THE TRAIL ANGEL ROCKS THIS WORLD FROM BURNINGTOWN GAP......SORRY LATE STARTERS.... FEBRUARY IS HIS MONTH THIS YEAR.....TOO MANY THRU'S & DAY HIKERS TOOK ADVANTAGE LAST YEAR.... HE WANTED 1 OR 2 REAL HIKERS A DAY TO COMFORT THIS YEAR

Dude - hate the font:eek:

Turtle Feet
03-02-2010, 20:24
I didn't know about TrailPhone either, what a cool site! I just signed up... Maybe this will satisfy everyone that wants me to get the SPOT GPS thinky? :rolleyes:

Maybe it is just me, but TrailJournals is kind of a busy website... TrailPhone seems pretty simple for friends and family to check out! :banana

Moto - I'm right there with you - TrailJournals - they need to clean up that homepage!

BrianLe
03-03-2010, 10:26
Lucky and Lumbar and I hit the trail again this afternoon out of Hiawassee. Don't forget postholer.com when looking for journals.

Gadget
postholer.com/brianle

DAKS
03-03-2010, 12:19
looks like trailjournals got hit by hackers.

XCskiNYC
03-03-2010, 12:46
It was hit by a hacker who brings up the provocative question: "Arent you ashamed of showing respect to Jewish who makes revenge, hatred and rivality feelings between the people ?"

Personally I would be more ashamed of poor punctuation and inventing new words like RIVALITY.

That said, check out takethisbread's entries. He has well documented the experience of making one's way up and down mountains on a trail buried hip deep in snow.

Reid
03-03-2010, 13:00
It was hit by a hacker who brings up the provocative question: "Arent you ashamed of showing respect to Jewish who makes revenge, hatred and rivality feelings between the people ?"

Personally I would be more ashamed of poor punctuation and inventing new words like RIVALITY.

That said, check out takethisbread's entries. He has well documented the experience of making one's way up and down mountains on a trail buried hip deep in snow.

Yea really, A few of those statements made no sense. The very last statement says straight up don't leave Palestine alone like *** are you saying that for ??

moytoy
03-04-2010, 23:11

Brenda and Tom got back on the trail and made it to Winding Stair Gap. They got off the trail again on Feb 25. I don't know them but you can't read their journal and not be proud for them. They have a lot of moxy.

Brian (aka Skippy)
03-05-2010, 07:34
Brenda and Tom got back on the trail and made it to Winding Stair Gap. They got off the trail again on Feb 25. I don't know them but you can't read their journal and not be proud for them. They have a lot of moxy.

Ahh,haha! Told you! People like them (sane) don't start January 1st without knowing what they're doing.

:banana

pyroman53
03-26-2010, 18:02
looks like trailjournals got hit by hackers.

So what's up with their site? If'n I don't get some TJ fix, I may be forced to actually go out and hike myself!!

brian039
03-26-2010, 23:57
I like http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6591.

Rocket Jones
03-27-2010, 09:26
I like http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6591.

I'm cheering for him. He's the epitome of HYOH, and he sounds like he's having a blast.

BigHodag
03-27-2010, 10:04
I'm following:

Frankie The Sleeper
iTrod
Jack Straw
King
KingCrawler
MotoGypsy
Ridley and Panther

I linked to each journal on my AT section hike blog so I can follow along easier.

trailangelmary
03-27-2010, 11:51
According to his last trailphone entry he is off trail

trailangelmary
03-27-2010, 11:52
http://trailphone.net/hiker/527737/ Jasper is still on trail. Last entry on trailphone March 25.

sasquatch2014
03-27-2010, 14:54
Takethisbread was out for a while and was with Farmah when he decided to head home for a bit and let things melt down some. He is jumping around some and completeing some of the section in the PA/MD/WV area that he didn't do during the winter months right now. Last I heard from him his sore foot from the tumble during the PA Ruck turned out to be a fractured foot. I guess it was a good thing that he was hiking in snow and ice for so long must have helped with the fracture.

Footslogger
03-27-2010, 17:06
That Trailphone is pretty slick. Wish that was available when I hiked the AT in 2003

'Slogger

MyName1sMud
03-31-2010, 17:27
well this sounds like a plan.

I really need to keep up with a few of the people to keep my training going as planned.

lonewolftrekker
09-24-2010, 11:04
I got a lot of compliments on mine.

Blue Jay
09-24-2010, 20:28
I got a lot of compliments on mine.

Are you the guy who liked to sing really really bad? I never got to hear you but several people had interesting reviews. Everyone's a critic:banana

lonewolftrekker
09-28-2010, 11:25
I never heard anything about it being bad singing. but the journal writings are different than most... unfortunately unfinished its missing CT-MA where I went off trail. I just gotta fill those in.