PDA

View Full Version : Standing Indian Area

sum41punk91
02-11-2010, 13:56
Hey,

Can anyone help me, I've done the Kimsey Creek Trail and a few more around there, but I'm looking fir a 2 night 3 day loop around there, I was hoping someone could help me with directions and possibly a map?

Thanks Alot

Toph

veteran
02-11-2010, 14:16
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7160&stc=1&d=1255356953

Ox97GaMe
02-11-2010, 14:25
you can start at the campground and hike Kimsey Creek to AT. From there take AT Northbound over Standing Indian, Mt Albert, and over to Long Branch Trail or Rockfish Gap. If you werent sure about your daily mileage, you could start at Rockfish and do the loop in reverse. That would give you the option of coming down Lower Ridge Trail from the summit of Standing Indian.

Ox97GaMe
02-11-2010, 14:29
Note: Lower Ridge Trail is pretty steep and can be slick with mud if it has been raining. I think that trail is just over 2 miles from summit to campground instead of the 4.5 miles if you hike over to Deep Gap and down Kimsey Creek. If you dont like downhill, you will HATE coming down that route.

lobo41
02-11-2010, 14:32
The below suggested loop hike is from the Applachian Trail Guide suggests and one I have been considering:

A 2 or 3-day, 24-mile loop hike starting from the Standing Indian Camp Ground and ascending on the Kimsey Creek Trail, 3.7 miles to Deep Gap. From ther turn left on teh AT, and follow it north, reaching the summit of Standing Indian Mountain in 2.4 miles. Carter Gap Shelter id 6.1 miles farther. Follow the AT north for 9.6 miles, including the steep climb up Albert Mountain to its lookout tower, passing Big Spring Shelter, to Glassmine Gap. Turn left (west) off the Trail, following the Long Branch Trail 2.0 miles down to the campground. Some hikers prefer to start the loop at Deep Gap.

sum41punk91
02-11-2010, 14:32
I meant to ask, I will be doing it next month... where should i park because i would think that the rec area and parking area would be closed?

max patch
02-11-2010, 14:57
I meant to ask, I will be doing it next month... where should i park because i would think that the rec area and parking area would be closed?

Standing Indian Campground is closed til May (?) because of construction so you probably can't park in the campground.

Prior to Mar 15ish you'll have to park at the backcountry parking lot across from the campground.

After Mar 15ish the fs road to Deep Gap should be open so you can either park at Deep Gap or the backcounty parking lot.

Jack Tarlin
02-11-2010, 15:03
I'd also think about leaving your car in Franklin at one of Ronnie Haven's businesses (with his permission, obviously). Your car would be perfectly safe; Ron could drive you out to wear you need to be, and he's VERY knowledgable about the area and could probably offer all sorts of suggestions for you. You can reach him at (828)524-4403 or at [email protected]

springerfever
02-11-2010, 16:40
lobo41 posted a hike that I've done about a half a dozen times, although I prefer to do the reverse and start at Backcountry information. First evening you can catch a great sunset and follow that up the next morning with a sunrise..all atop Mt. Albert.

Never had a problem with leaving a car either at the campground (when open) or Rockfish Gap or Backcountry information. Great not having to shuttle with two cars and some great views along the way.

Particularly nice late May/early June with the native flowers in bloom. Hope you enjoy it !!

bigmac_in
02-11-2010, 17:27
I'd also think about leaving your car in Franklin at one of Ronnie Haven's businesses (with his permission, obviously). Your car would be perfectly safe; Ron could drive you out to wear you need to be, and he's VERY knowledgable about the area and could probably offer all sorts of suggestions for you. You can reach him at (828)524-4403 or at [email protected]

Good advice right there.

sum41punk91
02-12-2010, 00:38
Thank you all so so much, intersting story, my brother and I talked to the campstore people there, they kind of described that trail, but gave bad directions, we ended up on the other side of the mountain, about 6 miles out of georgia, we hitch hiked to clayton and got a ride back to the site.

springerfever
02-12-2010, 06:03
If you have a little extra time to kill, a good side trip out of Mooney gap is to Pickens Nose...fairly level trail out to the overlooks and a great area to rockclimb with some excellent campsites.

sherrill
02-12-2010, 08:51
If you decide to start at the Backcountry Parking area to take the Kimsey Creek trail, I'd suggest you either call Ron Haven or send a pm to Marta here. There are a couple of areas outside of the campground where it's easy to lose your way.

Ron has posted a map here (do a search for it), and Marta has done this hike numerous times and helped me when I did this loop a couple of years ago.

Great hike, have a good time.

bigmac_in
02-12-2010, 10:58
If you decide to start at the Backcountry Parking area to take the Kimsey Creek trail, I'd suggest you either call Ron Haven or send a pm to Marta here. There are a couple of areas outside of the campground where it's easy to lose your way.

Ron has posted a map here (do a search for it), and Marta has done this hike numerous times and helped me when I did this loop a couple of years ago.

Great hike, have a good time.

More excellent advice. :D

Marta
02-12-2010, 15:55
The last time I hiked Kimsey Creek, some of the more confusing spots had new, improved signage. Pretty soon you won't need special, insider knowledge to get where you want to go...