PDA

View Full Version : Trail Conditions Swatara to Duncannon

sasquatch2014
02-11-2010, 16:37
I know that it is a bit early but better to track it now than a mad scramble at the last moments. I am looking to hike from Swatara Gap to Duncannon the last part of Feb. I was looking at the snow maps on this last storm and it looked like they got at least another foot of snow in that area on top of what got laid down in the storm before that.

Is there anyone who lives in that area that may be able to tell me how things are looking. I am not looking for a snow free trail what I am really looking at is what the snow conditions are. I expect that there will be snow but more specifically what I am looking at is can you stand and walk on that snow or are you punching through with ever step. I know that this can change over the next week or so and if it does please post so I will know what i want to try and do for the hike. Heck a good snow base will hide some of the Pa rocks right?:)

Yahtzee
02-11-2010, 16:44
Did a very short hike from the Susquehanna to the ridgeline the other day (before the recent snowfall). Hiking was slooow going. Several spots where a misstep would have sent me tumbling down the into the woods. Actually saw a few spots where someone had done just that. Soft fall, tho. It looks like it will remain cold for the next week, so I imagine the snow isn't going anywhere. A lot of the trail between Swatara and Duncannon isn't heavily travelled by day hikers so I wouldn't expect to much "pat down" from other hikers. The section from 225 to Peters Mt. Shelter is the most used between those two points.

On the plus side, it looks like it might snow again on Monday, so you might have some fresh powder to work with.

Sorry, I won't be able to give any more updates as I am headed back to Philly today and won't be returning until the Warmer.

Happy trails.

sasquatch2014
02-11-2010, 17:04
If I head out and don't show up at the warmer have a round in my honor.:D

Hoop Time
02-11-2010, 17:37
I'd want snowshoes if I were to do that today. I was in snow above my knees in several places in the Cumberland Valley yesterday and the snow yesterday was heavier to the northeast, let alone on the ridgetops.

Of course if the weather is too bad that weekend, you could always just yellow blaze to the Doyle for the Winter Warmer.

sasquatch2014
02-11-2010, 20:39
I guess what I am looking for is weather the snow is setting up in the next week or so. I figure with the past two storms there will be over 2 ft min on the ridge but if it is solid that is a different beast than if it is powder.

sasquatch2014
02-13-2010, 17:41
I see that you might all get some more snow that way is the snow you have on the ground setting up at all that you can walk on it? Still trying to figure out what my plans will be if I get to hike into the Warmer or if I need to just wait for another time.

When my mind is allowed to wander it gets thinking crazy things. Was thinking about packing the XC skis for the trip. I know getting crazy.