PDA

View Full Version : Pack dilemma

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 18:13
So have been hiking with a Nimbus Meridian. I love Granite Gear packs. I tried a ULA Circuit and didnt like it. I just want a little more in my pack. I put my pack through hell. The Nimbus Mer is awesome, but it has that frame thing in it that makes it 3.5 pounds. It also squeaks. I want something under 3 pounds. I got a Latitude Vapor and dont like the loading features to it. I have looked at a Meridian Vapor. Its smaller than the Nimbus Meridian. I never fill up my pack or even come close. Anyone got a Meridian Vapor?
http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/meridianvapor.html

Nean
02-11-2010, 20:01
Have you tried a ULA Cat?

CrumbSnatcher
02-11-2010, 20:21
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Phreak
02-11-2010, 20:40
I hike with the GG Nimbus Ozone and love it.

Lone Wolf
02-11-2010, 21:07
So have been hiking with a Nimbus Meridian. I love Granite Gear packs. I tried a ULA Circuit and didnt like it. I just want a little more in my pack. I put my pack through hell. The Nimbus Mer is awesome, but it has that frame thing in it that makes it 3.5 pounds. It also squeaks. I want something under 3 pounds. I got a Latitude Vapor and dont like the loading features to it. I have looked at a Meridian Vapor. Its smaller than the Nimbus Meridian. I never fill up my pack or even come close. Anyone got a Meridian Vapor?

get a catalyst and quit the snivelin' and weight weenieness

johnnyblisters
02-11-2010, 21:27

I love my GG Virga, but switched to an Osprey Exos because I wanted some actual pockets and a frame. It's light and has loads of space and packing options. Probably the most comfortable framed pack I've used.

RGB
02-11-2010, 21:32
I've been using a GoLite Pinnacle for a while now and it's amazing. Very light and very durable. If that's too big for your taste the Jam is like a smaller version of it. The pinnacle is 2lbs. 10oz. and the Jam is 1lb. 15oz.

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 21:40
The Catalyst is huge. Way too much space in it. I wouldnt even come close to filling it up, even with 6 days of food and 4 liters of H2O.
The Circuit is what i would get if I got a ULA. BUT, what if I have to carry 5-6 days of food and water for 30 miles. I feel like that under the pressure of 30 pounds, it might be uncomfortable

J5man
02-11-2010, 21:41
I've been using a GoLite Pinnacle for a while now and it's amazing. Very light and very durable. If that's too big for your taste the Jam is like a smaller version of it. The pinnacle is 2lbs. 10oz. and the Jam is 1lb. 15oz.

I got the Jam a few months ago and love it. It keeps me from overpacking. Pretty light and comfortable for the kind of hiking I do. Plus I like the belt pockets.

Lone Wolf
02-11-2010, 21:43
oy vey! :rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 21:45

Thruhiked with the Pinnacle and still have it. I dont like the waist belt. Nothing to it

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 21:46
oy vey! :rolleyes:

Go on then:rolleyes: There is other stuff around here you can go tend to it. :rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 21:49
I hike with the GG Nimbus Ozone and love it.

Does the Nimbus Ozone have the extra straps that go criss cross over the top???

shoe
02-11-2010, 22:01
Take the lid off the Nimbus Meridian...your pack is now under 3 pounds (that's what I did)

To get rid of the squeaky....put some of that rubbery shelf liner stuff over the top and bottom of the frame sheet.. (that's what I did and the squeak is gone)

Spend your money on something else :)

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 22:13
Take the lid off the Nimbus Meridian...your pack is now under 3 pounds (that's what I did)

To get rid of the squeaky....put some of that rubbery shelf liner stuff over the top and bottom of the frame sheet.. (that's what I did and the squeak is gone)

Spend your money on something else :)
Which is why I want to look at the Meridian Vapor. I want the lid. That is why I bought it. It is like a small version of the Nimbus. I dont have the lid on my Nimbus when i hike.

Phreak
02-11-2010, 22:19
Does the Nimbus Ozone have the extra straps that go criss cross over the top???
Yes. I often use the gg lid for storage of snacks and such.

Hooch
02-11-2010, 22:20
What ya gonna do with that Circuit, Chaco? :D I know someone who might be intersted in it. :rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 22:24
Yes. I often use the gg lid for storage of snacks and such.

The separate lid that you can buy? I have the lid that goes with the Nimbus. What Im thinking is adding the lid and a hip belt pocket. This will keep the pack weight down below 3. My only problem is that I have waaaaay too much space left in the pack. Feel like I need something with less volume.

flemdawg1
02-12-2010, 00:13
The separate lid that you can buy? I have the lid that goes with the Nimbus. What Im thinking is adding the lid and a hip belt pocket. This will keep the pack weight down below 3. My only problem is that I have waaaaay too much space left in the pack. Feel like I need something with less volume.

Add a lid to a Nimbus ozone and you have a Nimbus Meridian. I thnk your 1st instinct was the right one, get the Meridian Vapor.

flemdawg1
02-12-2010, 00:23
Have you tried the Pack Finder on Spadout.com?

http://www.spadout.com/store.php?cat_view=1&cat_id=132&zcol_type_id=6

take-a-knee
02-12-2010, 00:57
get a catalyst and quit the snivelin' and weight weenieness

Cut him some slack Wolf, not that he really needs any, 'cause he's got more than ample slack between his ears. A Circuit is too small, but a Catalyst is too big?!!:-?

Chaco Taco
02-12-2010, 11:06
What ya gonna do with that Circuit, Chaco? :D I know someone who might be intersted in it. :rolleyes:

Sold it about 3 weeks ago

Chaco Taco
02-12-2010, 11:07
Cut him some slack Wolf, not that he really needs any, 'cause he's got more than ample slack between his ears. A Circuit is too small, but a Catalyst is too big?!!:-?

Sit this one out Knee. The big boys are talkin:rolleyes:

RayBan
02-12-2010, 11:58
Would a G4 or Mariposa from Gossamer Gear make any sense ?

bigcranky
02-12-2010, 12:14
How about a Six Moons Designs Starlite? I've been happy with mine. Just under 2 pounds with the stays, comfortable to 35 pounds or so. Might be a tad large -- I can fit all my winter gear -- but it snugs down for a summer load pretty well. It doesn't squeak, either. No lid pocket, but great outside mesh pockets.

Chaco Taco
02-15-2010, 18:05
Just traded a Latitude Vapor for a Vapor Trail and just sold my Nimbus Meridian and flipped that and bought a ULA Circuit. That should work. I want to have a backup just in case so I wont be without a pack. Thanks for the input everyone, yes even you Wolf. In the end, I typically follow most of your suggestions.

skinewmexico
02-15-2010, 22:53
So you sold a Circuit, and bought a Circuit? I got lost in this thread.

Chaco Taco
02-15-2010, 23:50
So you sold a Circuit, and bought a Circuit? I got lost in this thread.

Bought a medium, didnt fit, sold it

lazy river road
02-16-2010, 00:14
Chaco Taco may I ask why you did not like the ULA Circuit, I have the Baltoro 70 but thas probally to heavy and big for ya.

Chaco Taco
02-16-2010, 17:18
Chaco Taco may I ask why you did not like the ULA Circuit, I have the Baltoro 70 but thas probally to heavy and big for ya.

I have given the Circuit another try. I only said I didnt like the Circuit because I have been nervous about going tooooooo light. I like a little something on my pack. I think the Circuit is going to make me feel better.

skinewmexico
02-16-2010, 22:30
The Circuit is too light? It's my heavy carry water pack.