PDA

View Full Version : Roan Mtn Snow

humunuku
02-11-2010, 18:50
Anyone know how much snow there is up on Roan Mtn? I'll be up there this weekend and am wondering if I should bring snow shoes.

thanks

Chaco Taco
02-11-2010, 19:07
Anyone know how much snow there is up on Roan Mtn? I'll be up there this weekend and am wondering if I should bring snow shoes.

thanks

Over a foot, may want to consider at higher elevations. Maybe 2 feet or more up top
http://www.highcountrywebcams.com/webcameras_BlowingRockRoad.htm

karo
02-11-2010, 19:09
Check on this thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=58695) also humunuku.

karo
02-11-2010, 19:16
Chaco Taco, beat me to it! Thanks again. C hacoTaco, Tn Viking, and Mountain Squid are always good resources for that area, I owe each of ya a cold one.

karo
02-11-2010, 19:25

thanks
Please post a trip report here when you get back. I may go next weekend.

Tennessee Viking
02-11-2010, 19:33
Count me out for the weather for TN/NC section. I am on the NC Piedmont now. I can tell you what the MST looks like though.

bigcranky
02-11-2010, 19:34
Heading up to Mt Rogers this weekend. Hope to find enough snow for some snowshoeing.

mountain squid
02-13-2010, 16:44
Wow! Don't know if Original Poster made it up there, but I did. Wow! Some photos (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?s=&do=member&catid=&imageuser=8692&searchid=&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&cutoffdate=-1).

I trudged up to Round Bald. Temp was about 9F with howling winds. If you didn't know which way to go, the Trail was almost impossible to follow or even find for that matter. There were several different layers of snow/ice/snow combos. On top of Round Bald there were many ice patches on top of the snow. Footing was treacherous at times. I didn't have snow shoes or those yak trax thingys. I did slip once on a patch of ice, afterwards I paid more attention to the ice.

There was probably a base of about 10-12 inches with drifts much higher.

Hope there aren't any thru hikers up there...the weather was brutal.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

jnanagardener
02-13-2010, 18:47
Mountain Squid...Thanks for those amazing pictures! Our first hike on the AT was from Carver's Gap over the balds this past Thanksgiving break; slightly "warmer" then :-) Your post made me wonder what the climb up to Jane's Bald would have been like (and for that matter other similar rocky spots on the AT). What have your experiences been like on those stretches? Thanks again from Florida.

mountain squid
02-14-2010, 13:54
You're welcome, jnanagardener. I didn't venture to Jane Bald yesterday because of the weather. Normally, it is not too difficult but with the snow cover I reckon it would be very difficult to follow the trail since you wouldn't know where it was. In these conditions a map (although it would be difficult to read because of the wind) would definitely be necessary and having a knowledge of where the trail goes is also very helpful. There are some posts with blazes on them but I don't recall the frequency. There is a sign now, pointing the way on the trail instead of up Grassy Ridge, which many go up by mistake.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

jnanagardener
02-14-2010, 14:42
Thanks for the reply Mountain Squid and happy hiking in your parts. Holding it down in central FL!

karo
02-14-2010, 16:49
Mt. Sguid, How was the road up TN 143 to Carver's Gap?

Jeff
02-14-2010, 17:30
Folks in Vermont wish they had more snow this year for snowmobiling.

bigcranky
02-14-2010, 17:58
Hey , Squid, nice pix.

We ended up at Osbourne Farm (the relo south of Damascus) Saturday morning to do a little snowshoeing. There wasn't much snow on the ground in town, so we didn't expect much on the Trail -- but there was about a foot of base, and drifts in the 2-3 foot range. It was snowing hard enough (and sideways) to make the walk out difficult, but once we were in the woods, it was very pleasant. Maybe 25 degrees. Our tracks were already mostly filled in when we walked back.

Pix: http://picasaweb.google.com/bennett.ken/SnowshoeingFeb2010

This would not have been any fun at all without snowshoes.

mountain squid
02-14-2010, 18:37
karo,

The road was snow covered but not slick. I have 4wd and drove very slowly. I did see several cars up there. There is probably 2-3 feet of 'cleared' snow on the side of the road.

bigcranky,

Thanks. I'm real close to the Osborne Farm and go there often. That is where I got my truck stuck about a month ago...DOH!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Chaco Taco
02-14-2010, 19:01
3-6 inches of more snow is being called for tonite

bigcranky
02-14-2010, 19:06
Squid, yes, I think I met you in person a couple of years ago on the first weekend in May when I was doing Watauga Dam > Damascus as a warm up for a summer section. You were talking with a couple of people who were camped just south of the road crossing at Osborne Farm.

Tennessee Viking
02-14-2010, 20:08
Dang Squid,
How did you even walk up through there?

humunuku
02-15-2010, 19:46
karo,

The road was snow covered but not slick. I have 4wd and drove very slowly. I did see several cars up there. There is probably 2-3 feet of 'cleared' snow on the side of the road.

I went up there this past weekend. Awesome conditions - very icey on the ridgeline... would suggest yaktracks at a minimum. We took snowshoes and walked along the edge of the balds to stay sheltered from the winds and get the deeper snow - we pretty much got to hike in 3-4' snow 75% time on the way to grassy ridge. Beutiful out there and we had it to ourselves - only saw a couple people when we got back around the parking lot.

We tried to go back up there today (monday), but another 5-6" of snow fell overnight and couldn't get back to the top with my front wheel drive car...I was the only tracks going up the mountain-made it within 1 mile to the top then could go any more...and nowhere to park with the plowed snow on the side of the road....so had to turn back

So lesson learned - They don't keep that road as clear as people say they do. They did not clear the road on Sunday on the TN side (but they did on NC side). and as of 11am on Monday the road only saw my car. 4 wheel drive may have made it...

awsome up there - go experience it if you can

mountain squid
02-16-2010, 15:54
We ended up at Osbourne Farm (the relo south of Damascus) I just got back from there. It was fun trudging through the snow. A few more photos (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?s=&do=member&catid=&imageuser=8692&searchid=&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&cutoffdate=-1).

Day hiking in the snow is fun especially when you know you have some hot coffee waiting for you...

To this years Thru Hikers ... Stay Warm and Stay Dry!!! And, definitely keep an eye out for the blazes ....

See you on the trail,
mt squid

PS. It is still snowing....

bigcranky
02-16-2010, 22:06
Nice pix, looks strangely familiar....:-?

I'm still leaning in the direction of taking my snowshoes for our section in two weeks. Yes, it's more weight, but they do make the walking a lot easier.

Tennessee Viking
02-17-2010, 00:29
I just got back from there. It was fun trudging through the snow. A few more photos (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?s=&do=member&catid=&imageuser=8692&searchid=&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&cutoffdate=-1).

Day hiking in the snow is fun especially when you know you have some hot coffee waiting for you...

To this years Thru Hikers ... Stay Warm and Stay Dry!!! And, definitely keep an eye out for the blazes ....

See you on the trail,
mt squid

PS. It is still snowing....
BRRRRR!!!! How did you even get up Cross Mountain.

I can only imagine what Bob is going through up in the Cove.

mountain squid
03-06-2010, 16:54
It's gone. It's all gone......:sun

See you on the trail,
mt squid

climber2377
03-06-2010, 17:32
new photos please...

mountain squid
03-06-2010, 17:44
:-?well, maybe there is a little bit left up on Roan...:rolleyes:

Actually, I can't believe how much snow is still up there. I hiked up to the shelter and there are places with more than 5 feet of snow. The snow might be around until July. :eek:

Some more photos (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?s=&do=member&catid=&imageuser=8692&searchid=&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&cutoffdate=-1).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

(Hey sarge95, I had an opportunity to use The Shovel already. I helped some Spring Breakers dig their vehicle out of the parking lot at Carvers. DOH!)

gumball
03-06-2010, 17:45
I sure don't want to hike in that, but those are beautiful photos mt. squid!

climber2377
03-06-2010, 18:41
thats awesome! nice photos. love the one with the handles barely sticking out of the ground.

GrouchoMark
03-06-2010, 21:17
I just got back from hiking the Roan balds. Awesome clear weather, snow drifts very deep in some areas. Balds passable at least to Jane Bald, I would suspect deep snow and blowdowns past there. Attempted to climb Grassy Ridge Bald but had to turn back due to waist high snowdrifts. Some cross country skiers on Round Bald. Road up very passable with some one lane travel near Carvers Gap. Went up the Tennessee side. Posted some photos on the photo page.