PDA

View Full Version : A few thoughts for upcoming thru hikers re: pack weight

Runsalone
02-11-2010, 23:11
I dont post around here much but with the new thru hiker season about to get under way I thought Id share a few thoughts on pack weight and possibly help shed a few ounces or pounds. Good luck this year you guys!! Much love to all the hikers in 2K10!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pagansdad#p/u/2/pkQX41HxMic part 1

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pagansdad#p/u/1/77cYo94cvvA part 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/Pagansdad#p/u/0/ry9wPY1TrBI part 3

BrianLe
02-12-2010, 17:16
Might be helpful to include a fairly terse text summary of some of the kinds of ideas given in these videos; for myself I'd be disinclined to spend up to, what, maybe a half hour watching video created by someone I know nothing about if I didn't at least know something about the types of suggestions being made, perhaps basic data like the typical base weight they carry in three-season hiking, establish how thoroughly the video maker himself is aware of all the options and approaches --- that sort of thing.

JAK
02-12-2010, 18:34
I like it. Catchy music. Nice photos. Good voice and style for narrating. Could use more brevity at some points, but the narrating voice and style pulls you through. It is a nice change to see this done in video for vs a list. The general ideas/philosophies are more valuable than the details, in my opinion. Video is a good format for communicating ideas/philosophy.

JAK
02-12-2010, 18:36
More pictures of nature and hills when just talking might be better than using the same gear shot over and over. Maybe keep cycling through the same photos more, and less of the gigapower stove.

JAK
02-12-2010, 18:39
Interesting that 1/2 the people that watch the first, watch the second, and 2/3 of those watch the third. Not bad. Might include some friends though. lol

You should have made a cup of tea or something while doing all that talking.
The talking was interesting, but everything is better over a cup of tea.

JAK
02-12-2010, 18:42
Hey, part 3's looking like its going to be the best one.
Maybe someone's going to put some tea on.

JAK
02-12-2010, 18:45
Come on. fire up that stove dammit.
ok. I'll have to go and do it myself. lol

Nice videos.

What's that? I think I even hear your stove going now, but I don't see it?
Are you making tea for yourself and not sharing it? Miserable bastard. lol

Jester2000
02-12-2010, 19:35
The previous series of comments presented for anyone who's ever asked, "how did JAK manage to end up with over 7000 posts?"

Runsalone
02-12-2010, 21:03
LOL thanks guys! good suggestions!

takethisbread
02-13-2010, 15:41
In effort to reduce my pack weight where possible, I deleted some little used apps on my Iphone!;)

Runsalone
02-27-2010, 22:42
Im making a set about my personal gear list now. For those that might be intrested.
Might take a few weeks to get them done and uploaded. Just dont have the time to do it all in one shot. These things are hard to make ! LOL it easy to either talk for 8 days straight about every thing in the world to do with gear, or not give enough info to be valuable to the mojority of folks. Still its a fun project and maybe itll get someones mental gears turning towards their own gear being what they really like.