PDA

View Full Version : Posting photos to Trailjournals.com from a Droid

DrRichardCranium
02-11-2010, 23:15
Has anyone tried to upload photos from a smartphone to Trailjournals? The usual Add Photo link doesn't seem to work.

Hyway
02-11-2010, 23:49
I have always liked trailjournals, I have one for this years thruhike, but if they don't get uptodate with current technology postholer will soon surpass them.

SurferNerd
02-12-2010, 01:54
Droid integrates perfectly with my blogger account, and I can upload multiple photos at once to both my blog and my Google Picassa web albums.

white_russian
02-12-2010, 09:30
just use postholer instead

Hyway
02-12-2010, 11:36
I don't like the way it looks. It looks like a clutter attic

DrRichardCranium
02-12-2010, 11:42
I checked out postholer. I may switch to that website instead.

Why the hell did they choose the name "postholer"?? Pretty crappy marketing decision.

Post-holing is the act of slogging through deep snow, where your foot sinks down in with each step, like a post hole. It is a tedious, difficult, and time-consuming way to travel a short distance.

Why would a website that wants to advertise how convenient it is, use a name like that?
-----------

Anyway, I may switch my trail journal to that site, unless the Support mods on Trailjournals.com get back to me with a solution.

Thanks, everyone!

sherrill
02-12-2010, 13:22
Princess Lea can tell you how. Just have to give the password to ol' Ben Kenobi. :p

RollingStone
02-12-2010, 15:17
I don't like the way it looks. It looks like a clutter attic

Agreed. They have the technology part, but no design skills it appears.

Ever since we completed the LT website below, we have contemplated putting up a multi-user site with community features for the AT based on Wordpress, which allows you to post journals, photos etc from any email account.

We like Trailjournals but we still have too many problems with pages being non responsive, photos that don't load, etc so we were looking for an alternative for our own 2011 thru. Postholer just doesn't have the "feel" for us that we want.

DrRichardCranium
02-12-2010, 16:06
Agreed. They have the technology part, but no design skills it appears.

Ever since we completed the LT website below, we have contemplated putting up a multi-user site with community features for the AT based on Wordpress, which allows you to post journals, photos etc from any email account.

We like Trailjournals but we still have too many problems with pages being non responsive, photos that don't load, etc so we were looking for an alternative for our own 2011 thru. Postholer just doesn't have the "feel" for us that we want.

I agree. Postholer, as well as having a dumb name, just doesn't look as good as Trailjournals. But if I can't upload photos from my Droid, I can't use Traijournals. (My Droid is going to be my camera as well as my phone/internet connection during my thru).

Unless someone has any other suggestions for an online trailjournal, I guess I'll have to put up with Postholer.

Miner
02-12-2010, 16:15
Postholer started off as a website for the PCT where you learn about postholing in a very intimate manner. When I think of postholing, I still can't help laughing as I think about the guy on hike naked day postholing up to his thigh more then once on the PCT (a real b@!! busting experience). Before the owner added journals, it was a website where you could get current snow reports and data for the High Sierra. The journals came latter.

With postholer, you can update your journal with a picture text message or use the email feature on your phone. I personally liked how my PCT journal on postholer turned out. If you know what you are doing, there is a way to embed your postholer journal inside your own website which may help with the appearance issue. And no, I don't work for postholer.

RollingStone
02-12-2010, 16:27
We did an integration a year ago and even though it was easy to do, it just still wasn't my style. The one think I like about using a blog system versus either of the journal sites is that you can create categories and sift down through the posts via date, keyword, etc.

kayak karl
02-12-2010, 17:20
I agree. Postholer, as well as having a dumb name, just doesn't look as good as Trailjournals. But if I can't upload photos from my Droid, I can't use Traijournals. (My Droid is going to be my camera as well as my phone/internet connection during my thru).

Unless someone has any other suggestions for an online trailjournal, I guess I'll have to put up with Postholer.
email you photes to somebody and have them upload to photo section of TJ. you can then pick & choose for daily journal page. thats what i did.....with a Moto Q and The Curve
http://www.trailjournals.com/KarlRothenbach/

kayak karl
02-12-2010, 17:44
I checked out postholer. I may switch to that website instead.

Why the hell did they choose the name "postholer"?? Pretty crappy marketing decision.

Post-holing is the act of slogging through deep snow, where your foot sinks down in with each step, like a post hole. It is a tedious, difficult, and time-consuming way to travel a short distance.

Why would a website that wants to advertise how convenient it is, use a name like that?
Thanks, everyone!
post-holing is the act of walkin in deep snow. the post-holer is the one that sets the trail for the ones to follow.:-?

DrRichardCranium
02-12-2010, 19:14
Droid integrates perfectly with my blogger account, and I can upload multiple photos at once to both my blog and my Google Picassa web albums.

Thanks for the idea! I was considering starting a blogger account, but I guess the advantage of postholer.com would be that it has little bells & whistles like the trail mileage counter & drop down menu, etc. I'm still looking into this.

I'm just glad I got my Droid a month & a half before my start date, so I have time to work all this stuff out.

postholer.com
02-12-2010, 21:20
As mentioned, postholer.com (http://postholer.com) started out as a single web page for PCT snow conditions, thus postholer. That feature has grown as well, see the PCT (http://postholer.com/postholer) and CDT (http://postholer.com/postholer/index.php?trail=2) snow pages.

It's good to see that Postholer journals is not confused with the blogs! :D

You can integrate your daily journal entrys with the google trail maps, show your location immediately on the trail maps from anywhere with a spot device or twitter your location into your journal. You can send journal entrys and photos from anywhere via cell or sat phone or use the mobile version of the journal site.

Heck, you can even update your journal sitting at a PC or have someone do it for you! :eek:

Journalists can select a wide range of fonts, colors and styles for their journals, it's not a one size fits all when it comes to formatting.

And there are no advertisements at all on the site. It's about you, the hiker and your adventure. Period. You are not a thru-wallet.

It's good to see the word getting out. A big thanks to all of you stinky hikers who make the site what it is!

-postholer