PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a Section Hike in late spring

Heavy G
02-12-2010, 10:29
I am a sort-of beginner hiker. Lonngest hikes have been on the flat Batona Trial in the NJ Pinelands. I have hiked up Mt. Tammany, 1.5 miles 1700ft., and that was about the upper boundary of my endurance. I have hiked the AT in the Delaware Water Gap from Rt. 80 parking lot to Sunfish Pond and several of the other side trails. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a week long section hike. Vistas are very desirable! Thanks.

Helios
02-12-2010, 10:57
The Shenandoah's come to mind. Lot's of vistas, well graded trail, several waysides to resupply at, 101 miles end to end on the AT (Waynesboro to Front Royal - NOBO).

flemdawg1
02-12-2010, 11:09
Why not try an overnighter or weekender first? A week long section is alot for someone who hasn't really hiked much.

But if you insist on a week. Shenandoah NP is soemwhat level walking with lots of vistas, campgrounds, and stores to stop in if you need to get off the trail.

10-K
02-12-2010, 11:21
Why not try an overnighter or weekender first? A week long section is alot for someone who hasn't really hiked much.

But if you insist on a week. Shenandoah NP is soemwhat level walking with lots of vistas, campgrounds, and stores to stop in if you need to get off the trail.

I don't disagree but why does everyone say that SNP is so easy?

I hiked it SOBO from Harper's Ferry and I was looking for easy all the way to Rockfish Gap. :)

Heavy G
02-12-2010, 11:57
flemdawg1-- Great suggestion. That is why I am looking at late spring. Between now and then I plan on doing a few overnighters. On my long hikes, I have carried everything, tent, food, hydration, cooking, clothes, ect... I dont have a sleeping bag or pad yet, once again the size thing is coming into play there! But the search is on and am certainly open to suggestions there too! Thanks

Kerosene
02-12-2010, 12:06

I hiked it SOBO from Harper's Ferry and I was looking for easy all the way to Rockfish Gap. :)I concur. Conversely, everyone says that Georgia is hard and I found that to be a breeze. NOBO thru-hikers are in great shape by the time they reach SNP, and many of them don't know what to expect for those first 80 miles in Georgia.

For someone coming from southern NJ, I'll suggest High Point to Bear Mountain Bridge in late Spring. You'll get some nice views from High Point, pass some surprisingly pretty land around Pochuck Mountain, get a great climb up to Pinwheel Vista outside Vernon, traverse the length of Greenwood Lake, enjoy scrambling over Cat Rocks, squeeze through the Lemon Squeezer, and hopefully get some nice weather through Harriman State Park. Lots of bail-out points and re-supply options if needed.

Six-Six
02-12-2010, 12:08
Start at Hwy 91 in Tennessee, south of Damascus and hike north. In 2-3 days you will be in Damascus and can decided to go another 2-3 days further if you choose. Either way, you have a relatively easy hike to Damascus and get some experience with a couple of overnites. I am taking my older sis and my girlfriend on this same section in April. I picked it to make sure they had a nice hike without beating them up too much. I hope I chose wisely. :)
http://bp2.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip.aspx?tripId=47636

flemdawg1
02-12-2010, 13:17

I hiked it SOBO from Harper's Ferry and I was looking for easy all the way to Rockfish Gap. :)

I haven't seen the full elevation profile or hiked the whole thing so I could be mistaken. On my limited AT hiking from Blackrock Hut to Loft Mtn it seemed pretty tame as far as big steep climbs. Also the proximity to Skyline Dr and all its stores, pulloffs, picnic areas, etc seemed more conducive to the safety margin a true beginner would want and still be able to enjoy lots of vistas and wildlife (bears esp).

XCskiNYC
02-12-2010, 13:26
Wherever you're thinking of hiking, get the AT Conference set of maps for that section.

The elevation profile will give you a pretty good idea of the challenges.

The map/guidebook is one of the best $20 gear investments you can make.

Roche
02-14-2010, 10:03
One option to consider is "base camp hiking". Stay at a campground and hike with a day pack. You reduce your pack weight, you hike as long as you want, you pick the prime trails, then you come back to your tent and have a brewski or two. It's a good way to start backpacking.

fredmugs
02-16-2010, 07:31

Dude - I cannot believe you did not find SNP to be a cake walk. I thought you were a hardcore 25 mile a day guy.

chiefduffy
02-16-2010, 08:57
Erwin to Damascus is an awesome hike, especially if you time it so Trail Days is going on when you come down into Damascus.

Hokie
02-16-2010, 09:29
Several possibilities that are closer to you than SNP. I like SNP alot but it is farther for you.

1. Extend your DWG hike by starting at Blairsville Road and hiking south to DWG to try a little more distance first before committing to a week (maybe 15 miles total)
2. If you like this, turn around next time and hike north from Blairsville road towards High Point (about 30 miles).

During spring thaw this is a pretty area if you enjoy the signs of spring. There are many diurnal pools (seasonal pools) that are an important part of the ecology that we rarely get to see in some of this section. They will be teeming with frogs and salamanders laying eggs.

3. If you want something longer and easier, try the state of Maryland and finish at Harper's Ferry (40 some miles). Fairly easy and combines some history (mainly civil war) with springtime views.

Remember if you are starting out that NJ still has a lot of rocks (PA known of this) and do not get discouraged if your feet get sore or blistered by thinking the entire AT is this way. It's not. When I started, that was one of the biggest questions I had - was the entire AT rocky like NJ.

Have fun!

Blissful
02-16-2010, 12:35
Dude - I cannot believe you did not find SNP to be a cake walk. I thought you were a hardcore 25 mile a day guy.

SNP is not a cakewalk SOBO for section hikers. That I can attest. :) NOBO thrus, sure thing.

02-16-2010, 20:01
Start right at Springer, ez shuttle, and you can bail about every day if you need to, for a day of rest or food or pizza. 6 to 12 mile days between shelters and if you get to the dicks creek at Haiawassi (sp big time) you had a great week. I have seen lots of spring breakers do this, some of the best shelters on the trail. May even see a few AT thru's that are flip flopping.

Press
02-16-2010, 20:20
Skip the Shenandoah and start at Rockfish Gap and walk south. Take your time. A lot of remote, beautiful scenery and interesting stuff. Gets kind of steep in some places though. Actually, I agree with the suggestion to try a one or two nighter closer to home.