PDA

View Full Version : Winston Churchill and the AT

tintin
02-12-2010, 12:08
I have just received the fantastic news that I have been awarded a travelling fellowship from the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust. The awards are given based on the Trust's objects:

“The advancement and propagation of education in any part of the world for the benefit of British citizens of all walks of life in such exclusively charitable manner that such education will make its recipients more effective in their life and work, whilst benefiting themselves and their communities, and ultimately the UK as a whole”.

I am using this walk to the promote the benefits outdoor activity and personal challenge for mental health. It will also add more "colour" to the educational talks I do in the UK and give me more credibility as an outdoor/expedition leader - an industry where people with mental illness's are heavily discriminated against. That despite one of the greatest ever expeditions ever - that of Lewis and Clark, being lead by someone with apparent mental health issues (Lewis - a personal hero of mine).

Winston Churchill, voted the 'Greatest Briton' ever, famously suffered from manic depression and it was said that this actually benefited Britain's war efforts.

This award will cover all costs of my thru-hike attempt and I am very grateful for that and humbled knowing that many would like to do it, but can't for financial reasons.

20 days till I fly to the US and 30 till I hit the trail!

(anyone interested in what I'm about can read Whiteblaze user Brownkatz/Sailor's article http://www.brownkatzoutdoors.com/)

bigcranky
02-12-2010, 12:29
Good luck.

drastic_quench
02-12-2010, 12:32
Why that's just crazy enough to work!

Mrs Baggins
02-12-2010, 12:53
Have you read Harry Thompson's "This Thing of Darkness" about Robert FitzRoy, captain of the "Beagle" and friend (well, for awhile anyway) of Darwin? FitzRoy was also heavily beset by bouts of depression and mania. It's an excellent story of voyages, discovery, and madness, as well as Darwin's own internal battles.

tintin
02-12-2010, 12:55
Have you read Harry Thompson's "This Thing of Darkness" about Robert FitzRoy, captain of the "Beagle" and friend (well, for awhile anyway) of Darwin? FitzRoy was also heavily beset by bouts of depression and mania. It's an excellent story of voyages, discovery, and madness, as well as Darwin's own internal battles.

No - but I will certainly check it out. Thanks!

Appalachian Tater
02-12-2010, 13:04
Congratulations!

Your are of interest is very interesting as well. Anecdotally, there are lots of thru-hikers on antidepressant medication. Maybe you'll get the opportunity to discuss it with some of them.

AggieAl
02-12-2010, 13:10
Congratulations and I hope to see you on the trail. This is really cool.

Now if we could just get them to hand out anti-depressants at Neel's for all of the February starters!

Sailor (The other one)
02-12-2010, 13:17
Yaaaahoooo!
Congrats Tintin.

Mags
02-12-2010, 13:27
Cool beans!

People brought up Lewis, Churchill, and others. (I'd add Shackleton to the list as well).

People who had personal demons that seemed to go away when channeled by exploration and/or arduous situations. Lewis probably suffered from severe depression (and alcoholism), Shackleton had a failed marriage, financial troubles and alcoholism. Something about these expeditions really same to attract a certain person who only really thrives in extraordinary situations. Dig deep enough, other similar people probably have similar traits. Something noticed and discussed with other people on various trips over the years. As AT noted, among our circle of people, a similar personality type seems to be attracted as well.

(As with many people, I became enamored with the L&C expedition a few years back. I felt fortunate enough to hike the CDT during the bicentennial year of the L&C expedition. The year (2006) I was also the same age as Lewis (32) when he traveled back East. Kinda cool..)

kombiguy
02-12-2010, 13:35
Congratulations! Have a great time!

BTW, where did Arthur place on that poll, if you know?

Jester2000
02-12-2010, 13:40
That is frickin' awesome.

tintin
02-12-2010, 14:07
Cool beans!

People brought up Lewis, Churchill, and others. (I'd add Shackleton to the list as well).

People who had personal demons that seemed to go away when channeled by exploration and/or arduous situations. Lewis probably suffered from severe depression (and alcoholism), Shackleton had a failed marriage, financial troubles and alcoholism. Something about these expeditions really same to attract a certain person who only really thrives in extraordinary situations. Dig deep enough, other similar people probably have similar traits. Something noticed and discussed with other people on various trips over the years. As AT noted, among our circle of people, a similar personality type seems to be attracted as well.

(As with many people, I became enamored with the L&C expedition a few years back. I felt fortunate enough to hike the CDT during the bicentennial year of the L&C expedition. The year (2006) I was also the same age as Lewis (32) when he traveled back East. Kinda cool..)

I have a belief about why people are attracted to doing these things (I blogged about it here (http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=0dfc646ef9de6bcd38f53d856afecd 5d&entry_id=12502). I think people who go through testing times question their place in the world and that often leads to a quest - a questor is simply an asker of questions. It is in our nature to be drawn to myth and there is something very attractive about creating our on mythic lore. Anyone who attempts a thru-hike is creating their own myth IMHO - trail names embody that.

I'm sure other people have other views but that's why I'm thru-hiking the AT. Whatever happens, it will be quite the journey!

"Kinda cool..." I'll say! I bet that was quite the journey for you too! (great website btw - very helpful)

flemdawg1
02-12-2010, 14:45
Why that's just crazy enough to work!

Don't call him CRAZY. Great, now you've done it. ;)

Jack Tarlin
02-12-2010, 14:52
Congratulations and have a great trip!!

Maddog
02-12-2010, 15:00
Congratulations and I hope to see you on the trail. This is really cool.

Now if we could just get them to hand out anti-depressants at Neel's for all of the February starters!

lol...for real!'smiles everyone, smiles'! :D