PDA

View Full Version : Women Using Golite Packs (Frameless)?

C-Stepper
09-23-2004, 11:31
When I search the forums I find many references to women's packs, but I'd like to stick to about 2 lbs or less. I'm buying all gear, so I've purchased items w/ a light, but not necessarily minimalist, attitude. I don't know my final base pack weight, but not including clothing, food, water, I'm under 10#. Are there any women on the forum using the Golite packs? I'm considering purchasing the Breeze, but I'm curious about fit on a woman for the "long haul" :rolleyes:

yup, pun intended.

I'm prepping for my first overnighter (dayhiker my whole life, in very good shape w/o pack, I'm 5,7, but torso length measured at REI of 15ish, if these matter).

Wastrel
09-23-2004, 12:40
My wife is still looking for the perfect pack in that weight range. Her torso is the same as yours, but she's 5'-3' with very narrow shoulders and the shoulder strap spacing is a problem for her. In that weight range everything is sewn in place, not much adjustment. We are currently waiting to try a Gosser Gear Miraposa when they become available, as well as perhaps the Granite Gear Vapor Trail.
She has a brand new Osprey Aether 45 for sale. It's a great pack with a really nice hipbelt, but the straps just fall off of her shoulders. Specs: Osprey Aether 45 - Small, Lapis Blue 2,600ci / 42L, 1#-11oz. + 3oz back pad, roll top main bag, mesh side pockets. Would sell for $55.00, including shipping. If you want to try it and if it's not for you, then just return for a refund.
Jim

java
09-23-2004, 13:16
I did use a Golite Speed pack this spring for my section hike from Springer to Damascus (I am woman, hear me roar).
The sil-nylon blew out and I returned it. It was also rather uncomfortable, but with no frame, that's what you get. Also, I probably had too much in it...at the most fully loaded with five days food with water about 34 lbs.
I've worn both men's and women's packs and never noticed much of a difference. Granted, I'm probably bigger than most of the women hikers out there, and I have rather broad shoulders (not that I'm a linebacker or anything). Here I am: http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=48804
There is so little support in an ultralight pack that I doubt there is room for much change for mens vs. womens packs. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION....
When it comes to the big packs (like the Gregory I thru-hiked with), I guess some of the hipbelts are kanted (sp?) differently, and the shoulder straps are placed closer.
As for women with really small/narrow shoulders, you might want to try contacting Dave and Miranda, who just finished their thru-hike this year (see trailjournals). I only met them once, but I remember that Miranda was very petite, so it might help to ask her what she used.
Hope this helps. -java

littledragon
09-23-2004, 13:33
HI- I got a Mountainsmith Seraph last spring. I used it to do Md. and sections of NJ/NY. I really liked the way it felt. I am 5'4"- and of a medium frame. My full pack weight (incuding water, food for 4 days at a time) was about 22 lbs. Hope you have a good hike!!!

anneandbenhike
09-23-2004, 15:14
I had always used a Kelty Trekker External in the past but it is really heavy (5#7oz). I have recently switched to Granite Gear Ozone (3#) and couldn't be happier. It is comfortable and as I am switching to lighter weight gear:) it is workng well for me. I still am having trouble getting used to not having pockets, but I have made some silnylon stuff sacks which are helping alot. The shoulder straps are fine and I am small framed, and had a broken collarbone a few years ago and one side is a little shorter, but the pack stays on fine. My husband is also small and he is using the Vapor Trail (2#). He likes it alot, too.

hustler
09-23-2004, 18:15
Don't go with Golite, every single Golite pack I saw on the trail this year broke! I didn't see one go the distance, most broke within a week. I would go with the Osprey Aether 45, I just bought it after my thru hike and I love the pack. It will go the distance. If you need a little more volume, go with the Vapor Trail.

Connie
09-23-2004, 23:54
I have a GoLite Breeze pack, w/Metolius Rope Ranger rope bag shoulder straps. These straps can be purchased separately, from Metolius.

I found the straps improperly placed, and too wide. Pack straps should not go across the round part of the shoulder joint, but rather rest inside the round part of the shoulder joint. I tried a "chest strap first, with no help.

My next pack is the Starlight: http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=23

I have packs listed on my ultralight backpacking special interest website: http://www.ultralightbackpacking.info/gear.html (http://www.ultralightbackpacking.info/gear.html%20All)All these packs "weight in" under 2.5 lbs.

There is also the new G6 pack: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/g6_whisper.html This is my other next pack.

In my opinion, packs for women should have lightly padded, curved, shapely, and more narrow width shoulder straps. However, everyone is not of the same opinion. Many women do like the thick padded pack shoulder straps.

Best bet, is to try out a pack with the actual load you expect to carry. I carry my stuff right into the store, dump it on the floor, and start packing. If the shop has a fit-expert, I let that person adjust the pack.

I have heard that some online stores will allow full return price, if the pack is not dirty or damaged. Pack up all your stuff inside the house, and wear the pack about 10-30 minutes while walking and standing and otherwise moving around.

jackiebolen
09-24-2004, 11:54
Hustler...You saw my Go-Lite Gust pack and it didn't break! That said, I only went 1500 miles but I've used it for a few hikes after my thru-hike ended and it's still going strong with not too many visible signs of wear. Plus I only paid $50.00 for it, so even if it did break after 1000 miles or whatever I would have been happy with it.

A-Train
09-24-2004, 12:06
If your looking at two lbs, go for the Vapor Trail-its an awesome pack. Theres a reason why the majority of thrus are using them now. IMO, Golite is junk and you get what you pay for.

C-Stepper
09-24-2004, 13:13
Jackie (Tell It Like It Is)--I spent the spring and summer following your trek on trail journals...I (embarrassingly) cried for you when you had to bow out! I had returned from vacation with my family and was catching up on the journals when I found out...hope you're better now :) Thanks for the advice.

I am curious by those that think the GoLite doesn't hold up well...were you maxing the pack out, or did it truly fall apart due to poor workmanship/materials? I was curious, since some owners/testers of the packs readily admit to overloading them past the manufacturer's recommendations. If one poster had mentioned they were junk, I might not have given the statement credibility...however, there are now two negative comments on them (and some positive ones), so it's confusing.

I've read the GG Vapor Trail field reports (on backpackgeartest, ain't the internet great?)...the field reports are very positive for the most part but I hadn't heard a woman's opinion on them.

Many women seem to think the women-specific packs feel better, and others say they feel no difference. It's good to hear from women who have used the lighter packs and they performed will for them.

bunbun
09-24-2004, 13:42
I'm prepping for my first overnighter (dayhiker my whole life, in very good shape w/o pack, I'm 5,7, but torso length measured at REI of 15ish, if these matter).

I'm not a woman and I don't play one on TV - but I am married to one and we've hiked over 15000 miles together. My observation is that most women don't do very well with Golite. YMMV.

The point here, though, is - since you live in NC, it probably wouldn't be too much of a stretch for you to get to the Gathering at Concord College in WV. There WILL be at least a few vendors there, and at least two of them will have lightweight packs that you can try on, handle, drool on ..... whatever. There'll likely also be a variety of lightweight tents.

ndwoods
09-24-2004, 13:52
I have a ULA P-2 that I have used for a few seasons now and love!!!! Lots of miles on it and no probs...been thinking of getting their new lighter pack the Fusion.

slatchley
09-24-2004, 20:52
Amazing how ppeople can trash a pack when they don't personally like it. I love my Breeze, and have had no problems whatsoever with it. Admittedly I have not thru hiked with it, but have many weeks and miles on it. I like the width of the straps, and was very uncomfortable with the P2 straps. Bottom line... ignore all of the advice and find what's right for you. There are no experts on your pack other than you.

hustler
09-27-2004, 13:26
I would say 90% of the golite packs I saw blew out. The first day off Springer, a hiker (I forget the name) was putting on his pack. He was snuging up the hip belt (normal force) and the belt ripped out of the side. He had to sew it with dental floss to keep going. Then my friend "John P" who is a long distance section hiker, had his rip out the year before, and then I helped him fix it again this year. I was passed by several south bounders, who had golite packs, asking me where the next outfitter was because things had broken on their packs. They didn't even make it to Rangley. Two of my roommates have golite packs and both of them are broken. My room mate Sean, is on his 3rd golite pack, and his sits broken. I believe that you can find a pack on the market that is just as light as golite, more comfortable (golite has NO padding), and much more likely to go the distance. The best bet in my mind is the Aether 45 (2800, 1 lb,14oz), Vapor trail (3200, 2 lb), Mountainsmith Ghost (3000, 2lb), or ULA P2 (3200?, 2lb?). These packs are comfortable, well built, and light. They might be a few onces heavier than a golite, but is it really worth it to have your pack blow out?

Youngblood
09-27-2004, 14:24
Hustler,

Where the GoLite packs you saw with the problems ones that used silnylon? I have a GoLite Breeze pack that has held up fine for me, but it has no silnylon.

Youngblood

hustler
09-28-2004, 12:20
Let me look at the catalog and see which ones I saw that failed. I actually have a friend that works at golite and I might be able to ask him which ones fail all the time. I think overall golite makes good gear, but I think their packs really aren't that great.

jackiebolen
09-28-2004, 17:57
I can speak on behalf of the Go-Lite Gust. Mine lasted 1500 miles and has few visible signs of wear on it.

Waterfall borrowed her friend's Go-Lite Gust that had already completed one thru-hike and Waterfall used it for another few hundred miles or so before buying a new pack, not because it blew out though, if I remember correctly. Making the total 2500+miles.

hustler
09-28-2004, 22:46
After talking with my friends and reviewing the golite catalog, There is a correlation with blowouts and the silnylon. I talked to 4 people today that all had golite packs break on them, 3 of them were using the silnylon packs. They all complained of the packs riping out. They claimed that the packs were not overloaded, which I believe. The friend that pulled on his hip belt and had the thing rip out of the side had a "Trek Pack" which is made out of 420 denier Cordura (which is the same material as the gust).

Again I really don't have anything against golite in general but I think they could better design their packs. I think there are packs out there that are almost as light, more comfortable, have more features, and are much more likely to go the distance.

Youngblood
09-29-2004, 10:56
After talking with my friends and reviewing the golite catalog, There is a correlation with blowouts and the silnylon. I talked to 4 people today that all had golite packs break on them, 3 of them were using the silnylon packs. They all complained of the packs riping out. They claimed that the packs were not overloaded, which I believe. The friend that pulled on his hip belt and had the thing rip out of the side had a "Trek Pack" which is made out of 420 denier Cordura (which is the same material as the gust).

Again I really don't have anything against golite in general but I think they could better design their packs. I think there are packs out there that are almost as light, more comfortable, have more features, and are much more likely to go the distance.

Hustler,

Thanks for the reply and info.

When I first saw packs with silnylon I worried about their durability. I always remember some equipment I was using that had a stuff sack that the top couple of inches was silnylon and the rest was heavier fabric. When I was restuffing the rather tight fitting stuff sack, it tore at the stitch line between the heavier fabric and the silnylon... of course it was the silnylon that ripped. That experience made my leery of backpacks that saved a few ounces by using silnylon and I try to be more careful where I grab my silnylon stuff sacks if I need to stuff them tight and try to hold them below the stitching for the drawcord.

Youngblood

firefly
10-24-2004, 10:28
Nuts...I am sorry I missed this post. I cannot access Whiteblaze from my work computor anymore so I do not get to visit very often. I would love to know what pack you purchased and how it worked out. I am 5'2" female. I have a Breeze but only uses it when I am carring lighter loads on overnite trips because my shoulders tire out. When I carry more weight I switch to my Gregory G Pack. The Golite Gust does not work for me...it is larger than the breeze..when fully loaded it pulls my center of gravity off no matter how carefully I pack it. I have not had problems with either pack BUT I only use them on brief overnite trips. I would not feel comfortable using one of these packs on a long distance hike even though I am carful with stuff. I plan on hiking the AT for two weeks next spring so I am shopping for a new pack now. I tried the new MountainSmith Ghost but I cannot fit all my gear in there. I like the Granite Gear packs-they are very well made-I would not worry about it tearing up. When I was younger I had a Dana Designs Terraplane-it fit like a glove and you could easily carry the kitchen sink in it. Now I have a bad back so I don't carry much any more. I like the Osphrey packs but back panel hurts my back so I cannot use them. I would love to know what you wound up using because I teach Womens Backpacking clinics and this topic comes up alot.

copythat
11-01-2004, 00:09
Gear choice is very personal. Otherwise there would only be one company. That's why it's a good reason to discount anyone who spouts absolutes! (Wait ... is that one?) Anyhow, there are several GoLite packs in my family and nobody's disappointed. We just don't expect them to do what they're not built for.

For a smaller torso ... my eldest daughter (14) uses a Jam and loves it. Small is listed at 16-18 inches, but she's smaller than that and it still fits her fine. But how many ci do you need? The small Jam is 2550 ci/41 l (1900 + 200 pockets + 450 collar). Oh yeah, and it's 21 oz. And has compression straps.

C-Stepper
11-01-2004, 09:41
But, hopefully the thread will help out other women.

What originally led to my asking about these packs was that when I searched through the forums for women's packs I realized they were all heavier than 3 pounds and I wanted to go lighter.

I've already taken my first trip a few weeks ago. I purchased a Granite Gear Vapor Trail. Hauled it 23 miles, love the fit and padding. I purchased it for $69 at Sports Basement, sight unseen, because it was worth $69 to try it (the local REI's never seem to have any around). Definitely worth it, and a good deal, too.