PDA

View Full Version : snow stakes for feb start?

sarahgirl
02-12-2010, 14:30
I'm heading out next week for Springer. Unfortunately this crazy blizzard weather is happening, can't say that it won't all be wrapped up by next week and was wondering if any of you have an opinion on whether or not I should bring snow stakes. Does the snow stick around for very long down there? Looks to be temps ranging in the mid 30s-40 high and 20s low (elevation difference not figured in). Forgive my ignorance. Please and thank you ;)

P.S. There's no way of pushing back my start date. I have time constraints.

bigcranky
02-12-2010, 15:51
I would just find sticks on the ground and make deadman anchors if the snow is deep enough. That's what you'd do with the snow stake anyway.

Treefingers
02-13-2010, 00:54
if you plan on digging down to the ground for your tent platform, i have had excellent success with some titanium needle stakes. you must be able to push them into the frozen ground for them to hold well but the penetrate the soil well even if it is frozen. if you plan on making deadmans anchors then some sticks about 3/4 in or bigger work well.

Good luck on your trip

remember to dig down also when making fires or the snow will melt underneath and snub out your embers

leaftye
02-13-2010, 02:41
Are snow stakes really anything more than v-stakes with holes in the middle for tying a guy line to? If you have the money to spare, get yourself a couple. You can still use them in dirt, and the weight is about the same as regular stakes, except for the ultralight wire titanium stakes.

Maddog
02-13-2010, 02:59
probably not necessary, but i wouldn't hurt to bring some. you can always send them home if you don't need them. hyoh! maddog

garlic08
02-13-2010, 10:01
A snow stake also doubles as a latrine trowel. I know someone who even used his as a spoon.

sarahgirl
02-13-2010, 12:07
A snow stake also doubles as a latrine trowel. I know someone who even used his as a spoon.

Wow! That's hardcore...but yes it does have holes in it, I'd be interested in seeing how it worked as a spoon:-?

BrianLe
02-13-2010, 12:52
"Are snow stakes really anything more than v-stakes with holes in the middle for tying a guy line to?"

I carry an SMC Snow stake (http://www.rei.com/product/358111), which is not a v-stake but does have the "holes in the middle". Like many others, it does double duty for me as a tent stake and as a cathole digger. I don't, however, use mine as a spoon ...

I think the holes in the stake are also for double/multiple duty --- tying off to if you can only push the stake in part way, tying off to for use as a deadman anchor, and in some places at least there's the claim that "The perforations in the lightweight Snow Stakes bite in and hold, even in soft snow." Of course the larger surface area of this makes it useful in soft soil as well as in snow.

Bottom line for me, however, is that I very rarely use it as a snow (or soft soil) stake, mostly it's just a cathole digger.

sarahgirl
02-14-2010, 03:05
I guess I will try to make it work with what I have and if worse comes to worse try to push on to a shelter. Unfortanately we don't have an REI in IA and the stores we do have more than likely don't carry them anyway. Thanks for your replies.