PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito "Death Ray" Created

Spokes
02-12-2010, 15:40
Scientists at Myhrvold’s Intellectual Ventures Laboratory recently developed a new way to kill pesky mosquitoes. They demonstrate how a green laser can be used to kill the bugs in mid-flight.

There's even videos of a shoot down sequence. Wow, and all this time I've just been swatting them with my hands.

Lock and load gentlemen........

Mosquito Death Laser (http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2010/02/death-star-laser-zaps-mosqitoes-dead/)

Helios
02-12-2010, 16:14
"Laser" comments make me think of Austin Powers. Thanks! Now I have that stuck in my head! :p

KnittingMelissa
02-12-2010, 16:36
Science: proving that lasers always make things more awesome.

Always.

Snowleopard
02-12-2010, 17:48
Myhrvold's Intellectual Ventures is what's called a Patent Troll. The company buys patents so they can lock up intellectual property. From their point of view, the ideal situation is when nothing can be done without using one of their patents.

They own one of my patents (sold by my University, not me). I wonder if their using it on this invention.

Spokes
02-12-2010, 17:58
Myhrvold's Intellectual Ventures is what's called a Patent Troll. The company buys patents so they can lock up intellectual property. From their point of view, the ideal situation is when nothing can be done without using one of their patents.

They own one of my patents (sold by my University, not me). I wonder if their using it on this invention.

Amazing.......

leaftye
02-12-2010, 18:24
Let me know when they have an anti-cat driveway model.

JustaTouron
02-12-2010, 18:24

First off if you watch the video you will realize it is not real. And that this thread should be in humor.

As for Myhrovold's business model. SmallInventor invents something and patents it. Megacompany infringes on Smallinventors patent refusing to pay royalities knowing that the Smallinventor does not have the resources to sue megacompany. Smallinventor sells his patent to Myhrovold who then takes the risk and expense of forcing megacompany to pay royalities it should have been paying all along.

DrRichardCranium
02-12-2010, 18:30
:bananaCan I get one of these lasers & attach it to my hat?

Rocket Jones
02-12-2010, 19:37
:bananaCan I get one of these lasers & attach it to my hat?

They're not hat-capable yet, but there is a stilt-friendly model.

thelowend
02-12-2010, 20:09

ha.. that really makes me wanna go to university and be innovative

GGS2
02-12-2010, 20:39
Hm. Very weird. The simulations show the system deployed in a room occupied by innocent (?) people while the zapper zaps all around them. Double plus uncool.

Actually, I heard about a system to zap mosquitoes, but the idea was to find out the minimum power necessary to incapacitate a mosquito. As in fry its antennae, rather than poof you're gone. All in all, I suspect this is someone's attempt to monetize some Star Wars technology. A rather poor attempt.

Spokes
02-12-2010, 20:51
First off if you watch the video you will realize it is not real. And that this thread should be in humor.

You watched the parody spoof. Click the link in the narrative of the article.

GGS2
02-12-2010, 21:10
Don't have time for that. The parody is much more interesting, I suspect.

Tinker
02-12-2010, 22:20
Let me know when they have an anti-cat driveway model.
Please use anti-cat device before
REMOTE STARTER! :eek: