PDA

View Full Version : Minimilists solo First Aid kit: what are the must haves?

rustyb
09-23-2004, 14:35
Sitting here two days out of knee surgery has me thinking a poll of sorts regarding first aid kits. What do you all think, besides knowledge, is the most important must haves for a minimalist kit? I'm of the philosophy that one can improvise and make do with a fraction of what most kits contain. Personally, I'm a big fan of duct tape.

Lets hear it.

ripple
09-23-2004, 14:44
Crazy glue is a must in my kit. Fixes any cut, not good for puncture wounds.

Blue Jay
09-23-2004, 14:46
The only thing you truly must have is something to stop massive blood loss. All the rest you can hike out to a road and go get. I know you can stuff some filthy clothing into a spurting wound and tie a tent rope over it but a deep wound pad or sanitary napkin and ace bandage do not weigh that much and work much better when you and/or someone else are close to panic.

java
09-23-2004, 16:04
I usually carry a needle and thread for draining blisters, an ace bandage, several band-aids and some neosporin. Oh, and medical tape, the clear kind, I think it's made by 3M, sticks to anything.

sloetoe
09-23-2004, 16:47
duct tape, neosporin, tweezers, sharp blade, Sharpie pen...........................

and that's about it, aside for the things you're going to take from the rest of your pack. Now, go on to the "repair kit" aspect of first aid kits, and boyyyyy, there's more interesting stuff

candle
photon LED
spare batteries
4-5 safety pins
3-4' of light cord

ummm, ummm.....

Next?

jackiebolen
09-23-2004, 17:40
All I carried was duct tape, a needle, dental floss, a couple Vitamin I and a mini leatherman with a small knife and scissors. Worked for me and only weighed a few ounces.

hustler
09-23-2004, 18:12
Lots of vitamin I, duct tape, and moleskin. Thats about it.

orangebug
09-23-2004, 18:54
Duct Tape.

Clean Bandana. (substitute for sanitary napkin)

Salve of some sort (diaper creme, vaseline, neosporin, bag balm)

safety pins on each zipper (turns all clothing into slings and supports for wounded limbs)

Leki's or pack stays (splints)

Analgesia - non-narcotic and opiate

Antibiotic (Cipro)

Pepto bismol tabs

Whistle

Dances with Mice
09-23-2004, 21:43
I keep a ziplock with some tape, a tube, and a few bandaids. I like athletic tape better than duct tape. Compared to duct, the athetic tape is thinner, holds just as well if not better, and is as strong. A tiny tube of Neosporin and a snack-size ziplock with a couple bandaids and gauze pads complete the first aid baggie. There might also be a single edge razor blade, I forget if I still have one or not.

Hand sanitizer too, I guess, but it's kept elsewhere.

In another snack-sized ziplock is my stash of pills - OTC allergy stuff, Vitamin I, Immodium, and prescription gout medication (a good anti-inflammatory).

Connie
09-23-2004, 23:31
I think the most essential components of a 1st aid kit are things that will help with stuff that can incapacitate you. For some, that might mean and ankle air-cast, or at least an inside boot velcro ankle wrap.:rolleyes:

My present first aid kit includes: individually wrapped sterile gauze flats, non-stick gauze flats, Xeroform 4x4 "finger-size" burn bandages, surgical tape, self stick stretchy roller gauze bandage, small butterfly bandages, knuckle bandages, fingertip bandages, moleskin, molefoam, second skin moist pad, Tylenol, aspirin, Excederin, and Secta-Sooth ampule, calamine lotion, triple antibiotic ointment, benzalkonium chloride antiseptic towlette, benzoin tincture ampule, folding tiny sissors, packet of sterile water for irrigating a wound, 3% USP hydrogen peroxide, CPR microshield, surgical gloves.

All this fits in the small plastic container for the Atwater Carey Travel Doc (http://www.outdoor-equipment-store.com/Atwater-Carey-Travel-Doc-First-Aid-Kit.asp) first aid kit, except the separately carried CPR microshield and surgical gloves. I carry those for humanitarian reasons. I might want to help someone else!

Jaybird
09-24-2004, 06:51
Ibuprofen...Ibuprofen...Ibuprofen!

also, some band-aids, (or generic brands), a patch of gauze, patch of mole skin, tape (most people use duct-tape...they even make CLEAR duct tapte NOW!) & some dis-infectant ointment. dental floss is a good thang too!
bandana has many purposes as well...in the first aid area.

good luck with your knee recovery! :D

Pencil Pusher
09-24-2004, 19:32
Just make sure your partner has a good first aid kit and you're set. Ditto with avalanche territory: if there's only one shovel, make sure they carry it. ;)

SGT Rock
09-25-2004, 08:39
Change out Iboprofin for sodium naproxen.

orangebug
09-25-2004, 11:06
Change out Iboprofin for sodium naproxen.
I totally agree, although it may have a slightly slower onset of benefit. Aspirin is also a very good choice which treats far more than pain (Enteric Coated is a good deal more weather proof)

SGT Rock
09-25-2004, 15:23
Now that I have time for a full post:

#1 Brains and Training. A good field first aid course will teach you lots of ways to improvise in an emergency.

Gauze, sodium naproxen, duct tape, super glue, sewing needle, floss, anti-biotic ointment, imodium, ace bandage, soap, toilet paper, bandana, and some bandaids.

smokymtnsteve
09-25-2004, 16:15
dont forget the TUMS or other antacid ;)

SGT Rock
09-25-2004, 16:34
I haven't ever needed ant acid, but I have had times I need immodium.

orangebug
09-25-2004, 16:53
Pepto Bismol tabs (generic is cheaper and just as good) is the multipurpose GI first aid kit. It makes some sense to carry TUMS for calcium supplement, anyway.

smokymtnsteve
09-25-2004, 16:56
I haven't ever needed ant acid, but I have had times I need immodium.

but boy howdy it is MISERABLE to need a antacid and not have it, maybe cut a roll in half to save weight,