PDA

View Full Version : how far in 6 days?

futurethruhiker
02-12-2010, 23:29
Hi All, I will be starting my thruhike March 10 and have a friend hiking the first 6-7 days with me (from Springer) we are planning to part ways at Dicks Creek Gap. We would like to go a bit further but have found that the road crossings (to hire a shuttle) are spaced out pretty far. When she leaves the trail I plan to travel in with her and take a zero day and get back to hiking the next day..........suggestions anyone? We are both very active having run several marathons and climbed Kili together a few years back....but have been inactive the last year due to injuries and bad attitudes so our fitness has deteriated some. Need some feedback!

Cool AT Breeze
02-12-2010, 23:37
Dicks is about right for six days. Look me up when you get to MTXINGS, I can help you with your shuttle.

paradoxb3
02-13-2010, 00:01
if you're in even half-decent hiking shape 6-7 days is plenty to make it from springer to dicks creek gap. if you're adding the 8.6m approach trail from amicalola falls, or the weather doesnt cooperate all week, that could put you in more of a rush, but i suspect you could still make it in that amount of time. You'll have a better idea of your pace when you hit neels, and as breeze said, they'll help you shuttle. There are probably more road crossings accessable to a shuttle than you're aware of. i've sectioned GA several times, and theres at least a couple forestry road crossings like every day.

stranger
02-13-2010, 04:02
Franklin can be reached in 6-7 days assuming you are fit, experienced and no snow falls...

Doctari
02-13-2010, 12:58
Old (over 40) out of shape & carrying a 65+ lb pack, I got to Neel's in just over 3 days & Dick's 4 days later without pushing at all. I think (sectioning) it took me 4 - 5 more days to get to Franklin (Winding stair gap), but that was starting "cold" from Dicks creek, so YMMV.

Grinder
02-13-2010, 15:40
just another data point here.

Four years ago, I planned to hike from Springer to Dick creek. Advice here indicated 10 miles a day was pretty doable.

I too am an ex marathoner and active, but the trail kicked my ass. It wound up taking 4 and 1/2 days to get to Neel's Gap.

The next year it took 4 and 1/2 days to get to Dick's Creek from neel's gap. By then I had adopted a "take what the trail gives you" attitude.

Although you may be in better shape than I and are over a decade younger, I would err on the side of caution. You have 5 or six months to get to Springer.

I have found that I toughen up enough to notice after two or three days. There is no need to put yourself into a death march frame of mind. It's supposed to be fun. Most injuries occur in the early miles from over doing it.

Have a great hike

CrumbSnatcher
02-13-2010, 15:47
6-days Dicks Creek Gap #67.5 if you come up a little short or want to slow down just a little then you could stop at Unicoi Gap #50.9 both roads lead to Hiawassee Ga.