PDA

View Full Version : Question: Layering System

Rowdy Yates
02-13-2010, 07:28
I have a question that I am certain you WB'ers can answer. In the layering system one uses the base layer (next to the skin), then there is the next layer (?), then the top layer ( in my case an UL Montbell Wind Jacket). My question what UL Jacket would work as the 2nd layer? I have an EMS Fleece full zip Jacket but it is too thick and too heavy. Any suggestions? :-?

mudhead
02-13-2010, 07:55
Oddballs. Try a second base.

Try the fleece over the windshirt.

Two wind layers sounds funky but it does work. As in base, base, thin windshirt, heavier wind jacket.

Stay warm.

SGT Rock
02-13-2010, 08:01
Army field jacket liner.

Rowdy Yates
02-13-2010, 08:20
Army field jacket liner.

Thanks, ROCK. I never thought of that and I think I still have one.

SGT Rock
02-13-2010, 08:26
They rock. And if you are looking for pants, they make liners for those too. I used them on my winter thru attempt almost every night.

Furlough
02-13-2010, 09:52
Though not a part of the base layer, another piece of Army gear that is great for cold weather is the balacalava or buff. It can be worn around the neck/throat pulled up to protect the ears and chin. It also works good at night if you need some extra warmth while in the sleeping bag.

Furlough

SGT Rock
02-13-2010, 15:23
Though not a part of the base layer, another piece of Army gear that is great for cold weather is the balacalava or buff. It can be worn around the neck/throat pulled up to protect the ears and chin. It also works good at night if you need some extra warmth while in the sleeping bag.

Furlough

Absolutely.

In a nutshell, my system:

Clothing base (not insulation):

Shorts, microfiber boxer/briefs, wicking t-shirt, running socks, ball cap, and running shoes. I carry a spare pair of socks and underwear.

In wind and mild cold I add a wind barrier:
Wind shirt, rain pants, buff.

My base layer of insulation:
wool gloves, power stretch fleece top and bottom, wigwam wool socks, fleece hat.

I normally don't hike in the fleece unless it is WAY cold. I can usually walk with just my wind barrier and gloves. Sometimes the fleece hat as well, I can use the buff as either a cap when it isn't too cold, or it can go over my face when the weather is cold/windy enough to need covering for my nose and mouth.

My "puffy" layer of camp clothing:
Fleece mittens, field pants liners, thick wigwam wool socks, and down jacket (on my hike this was a field jacket liner), and a fleece neck gaiter.

I cannot remember ever hiking in this stuff, even when the temp was in the single digits.

If the weather is wet, staying dry is half the battle. That is why I carry rain mittens and goretex socks. I've found that trail runners do just find in wet, sloshy snow if you have goretex socks on. But unless it is wet and cold, I don't use the goretex socks.

My rain gear:
Frogg togg pants (mentioned above), Packa rain jacket/pack cover, Rocky goretex socks, and OR rain mittens.

I love the Packa. Unless you try one you may not get how very cool for ventilation and such having one of these is.

I hope that helps.

Dogwood
02-13-2010, 15:44
In general, there is a base layer, middle insulating layer, and then the outer layer(shell). But there are no hard and fast rules exactly what everyone wears in a layering system. For example, some like myself, like two baselayers, perhaps an insulating layer(I like down and use it whenever I can), and then a shell(the kind of shell used depends on what I'm most likely to experience). Each person is going to do something different. Personally, after having seen 1000's of hikers, I've NEVER seen two people with the exact same clothing set-up.

When you start getting into clothing and layering there are as many different scenarios as handbags and shoes that might appeal to a woman. The main thing that I keep in mind when layering is that it affords options. These options allow me to better regulate my core temp and level of protection desired.

Rowdy Yates
02-14-2010, 07:33
Found this website and it helped me in my undesrtanding on this subject:

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/the-3-layer-system/

Mountain Wildman
02-14-2010, 08:34
Montbell EX Light Down Jacket 5.7ounces