PDA

View Full Version : Condition of the trail in NY?

Maps
02-13-2010, 08:14
How much snow is on the trail in NY? Several of us are looking to take advantage of the holiday weekend and do a little hiking in that area, (around the Pinnacles, Wildcat shelter, Mombasha area)

We're not into postholing. There is at least 3 feet of snow on the ground here on the Jersey Shore from the 2 storms this week, but I'm guessing (hoping) snow accumulation is a little less further north.

or how about Bear Mountain area? Where I work in Jersey City there is nothing on the ground - 4 inches at the most - Does the snow get less further to the east -toward the Hudson?

sasquatch2014
02-13-2010, 13:11
Was out on my section during the "Storm" we were to have last week and we got hardly anything. The trail should be in pretty good shape from Ct line south towards the Hudson. I know I cleared my section Rt 22 to Corbin Hill of blowdowns. The trail is also clear from there up to the Telephone Pioneer Shelter.

I don't know what they got to the south of us but knowing how close the Bear Mt area is to the city and what the city got out of the storm I would expect that there may be more snow down there. Up here 3" maybe. Some parts of the trail are seeing traffic and so somewhat packed. Other areas no tracks and it may be a bit looser snow but nothing that should really slow you at all.

horicon
02-17-2010, 15:17
Just had a another snow storm, so bring snowshoes. Its going to be in the 30's duiring the days till the next storm which might be 22 Feburary or 23rd.