PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight camp shoes

LimpsAlong
02-13-2010, 10:29
Well the Wal-Mart brand Croc knock offs weigh 12.5 ozs. Only a couple ozs lighter than real Crocs. Any ideas on a camp shoe that provides similar foot coverage at a better weight savings?
TIA

yappy
02-13-2010, 10:33
I don't wear them anymore. The sneaks work great for both functions most of the time

leaftye
02-13-2010, 13:16
I got running shoe racing flats. They're supposed to be 7 oz. Each, or for the pair, I don't know. Either way, the specs on Zappos indicate that Crocs weigh more, and some people have reported that Crocs weigh much more.

mweinstone
02-13-2010, 13:20
gave up crocs and flops and extra shoes. one boot,one nation, one hike, underwear,unblueblazeable, with ice cream and bacon and pancakes for all. the weight of crocs compared to the weight of hunger removed by bacon does not compute. camp shoes is a myth being used agin my peeps to lowere bacon consumption in a bacon corrected sociaty gone fat free transiting.

LimpsAlong
02-13-2010, 13:29
gave up crocs and flops and extra shoes. one boot,one nation, one hike, underwear,unblueblazeable, with ice cream and bacon and pancakes for all. the weight of crocs compared to the weight of hunger removed by bacon does not compute. camp shoes is a myth being used agin my peeps to lowere bacon consumption in a bacon corrected sociaty gone fat free transiting.

Well all that "one" stuff is nice but ONE bladder prompts me to find a lightweight, easy donning camp shoe for midnight excursions to the pee tree.
I DO understand the bacon thing though. Nothing will keep me from the salted pig!

Bags4266
02-13-2010, 16:22
Yea, I would need camp shoes aswell. Just for showering. I am going to use the old school thong flip flops

Mountain Wildman
02-13-2010, 17:38
Merrell Robotic Multisport Shoe - Men's 11 ounces

AUhiker90
02-13-2010, 17:48
Check out the insole flip flops. you make them out of paracord and old insoles and they weigh nothing and are good in showers or camp.

AggieAl
02-13-2010, 18:15
Take running shoe insoles, attach velcro straps. These will be about 3 oz. per pair.

Rockhound
02-13-2010, 18:34
just get the damn Crocs. This weight crap has gotten out of control. I am the antithesis of a gram weenie. I've packed as much as 60 lbs. (yes it was heavy) I can very comfortably hike with 40 to 45 lbs on my back. Not saying hiking with less weight is not easier. Just saying that if I can carry all the crap that I carry and still come in at about 45lbs. Anyone else could easily trim an other 5 or 10 lbs off that and still have Crocs.

XCskiNYC
02-13-2010, 18:53
Old Navy flip flops, 3 ozs. each (6 total, if you have just two feet), $3.50. Not as comfy as slip-on slippers. The toe stem kinda hurts your inter-toe flesh.

Or you can make your own shoe-liner slips:

http://www.trailquest.net/sandals.html

Rocket Jones
02-13-2010, 19:16
just get the damn Crocs. This weight crap has gotten out of control.

Gotta agree. The obsession with saving ounces can be taken too far.

climber2377
02-13-2010, 19:22
i have knock off crocks. got them in a state park over the summer, just figure that it will be good to get out of my boots and into something. i do like the pee tree coment but i think that is why i have an empty garotade bottle in my hammock. only drink from my nalgene as not to make a mistake. cause that would be a big mistake, unless you were bear gryls and were dying in a desert.

AUhiker90
02-13-2010, 19:44
HYOH. This is not for people to talk about others hiking styles is just to give a couple of suggestions of what to wear around camp from the lightest to the heaviest if you will.

AUhiker90
02-13-2010, 19:45
styles its*

BrianLe
02-13-2010, 20:33
"just get the damn Crocs. This weight crap has gotten out of control."

"Gotta agree. The obsession with saving ounces can be taken too far."

I too suggest that we share ideas without negative judgments --- either way. I personally prefer to save the weight and thus carry no separate camp (or creek crossing) footwear. Loosening the laces of my trail runners makes them work great for me as camp shoes, they dry fast so they're great as creek crossing footwear. Weight saved by a lot of incremental decisions like this can overall make a big difference in the quality of the hiking experience.

But there's clearly no universal appeal of one approach vs. another so --- I think the ideal is for us to share ideas and leave it at that.

fiddlehead
02-13-2010, 20:44
Personally, i agree with the one shoe is enough.
But, in Maine, in the late fall or spring, wet shoes can suck.
I had a 2 friends who got frostbite on the PCT from fording with their hiking shoes on.

We do sell many of these (http://www.theunderwearguys.com/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=218) as an option.
They weigh 3 oz/pair for the XL

BrianLe
02-13-2010, 21:01
Again, in the spirit of "just sharing ideas", and addressing the "wet shoes can suck" comment ---

I carry a pair of bread bags, i.e., two of the plastic bags that a loaf of bread comes in at the store. In camp I can change into dry socks and put the bread bags over my socks to wear in wet shoes.

Frostbite from fording on the PCT? Interesting. I and lots of people I know forded a lot of creeks in trail runners in the Sierras without problems. At first I was using neoprene socks (the water was damned cold) but that got to be too much of a hassle, at some point I think most people just walked through --- often the trail itself was a stream from snow melt. And yes, often then climbing up into snow. Still, I'm a bit surprised at the frostbite; must depend on the specific conditions, and what they were wearing (maybe no wool socks?!?).

chiefduffy
02-13-2010, 21:27
We do sell many of these (http://www.theunderwearguys.com/product_info.php?cPath=64&products_id=218) as an option.

I use these. They're great with a coupla old insoles in them.

johnnybgood
02-13-2010, 21:59
[QUOTE=fiddlehead;969893]Personally, i agree with the one shoe is enough.
I had a 2 friends who got frostbite on the PCT from fording with their hiking shoes on.

They weigh 3 oz/pair for the XL[/QUOTE

They do look comfy. Can these be bought at Walmart or another big box store ?

fiddlehead
02-13-2010, 22:18
L[/QUOTE

They do look comfy. Can these be bought at Walmart or another big box store ?

I doubt it.
We buy them from a Thailand company who makes them for Billabong surfboard company.
I haven't seen for sale elsewhere.

Rocket Jones
02-13-2010, 23:03
You can get similar, but not nearly as lightweight, footwear at sporting good chains, sold as "pool shoes". They're inexpensive and fairly durable. I don't think they'd provide the warmth that the slippers do.

How's the durability on those? For that price, I may pick up a pair just to try.

Tinker
02-14-2010, 02:49
Nothing is as light as nothing. If your shoes were comfortable enough to carry you through 10-20 miles or more that day why not use them for camp shoes?
I only carry extra footwear in the winter - down booties.
For those looking for something that can also handle a stream crossing or two there are hard soled neoprene shoes available at most kayak/rafting outfitters.
Crocks and Waldies strike me as ok shower shoes, but I don't think I'd like to hike any distance in them (if my hiking shoes blew out, say) or cross a shoe-sucking muddy stream in them.

tintin
02-14-2010, 06:20
i do like the pee tree coment but i think that is why i have an empty garotade bottle in my hammock. only drink from my nalgene as not to make a mistake.

I'm with you on that one.

Hokie
02-14-2010, 07:39
You can get similar, but not nearly as lightweight, footwear at sporting good chains, sold as "pool shoes". They're inexpensive and fairly durable. I don't think they'd provide the warmth that the slippers do.

How's the durability on those? For that price, I may pick up a pair just to try.

Sometimes they are called Aqua shoes (maybe the brand) and have a thicker sole than inserts. Upper is mesh with elastic ankle. Sturdy enough for creek crossings. Weight is 2 oz/pair. Work great for midnight trips and short jaunts. Completely flat so easy to carry.

LimpsAlong
02-14-2010, 07:51
For those who have given good (or not so good) examples of what I am looking for I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. For those who think I'm a gram weenie and have a 4.5 lb base weight here is a little heads up. I'm 53, my knee and hip are shot from being someone who has made their living with my hands in the oilfield my whole life. I have worn my body out early providing for my family. If I want to keep my pack weight down by shaving ounces on every piece of gear I've got thats what I will do.
I've humped thousands of 90# sacks of concrete for cementing wells and carried 30' joints of flowline thru the marsh by hand.
I want lighter camp shoes and, by gosh, I'll have lighter camp shoes!

LimpsAlong
02-14-2010, 07:59
Personally, i agree with the one shoe is enough.

Thats it! Thanks fiddlehead! Got a pair coming this morning.

tintin
02-14-2010, 08:10
These? (http://www.gofastandlight.com/Zinetic-Pocket-Slipper-Camp-Shoes/productinfo/CL-Z/)

Rockhound
02-14-2010, 08:41
For those who have given good (or not so good) examples of what I am looking for I appreciate you taking the time to help me out. For those who think I'm a gram weenie and have a 4.5 lb base weight here is a little heads up. I'm 53, my knee and hip are shot from being someone who has made their living with my hands in the oilfield my whole life. I have worn my body out early providing for my family. If I want to keep my pack weight down by shaving ounces on every piece of gear I've got thats what I will do.
I've humped thousands of 90# sacks of concrete for cementing wells and carried 30' joints of flowline thru the marsh by hand.
I want lighter camp shoes and, by gosh, I'll have lighter camp shoes!
4.5 lb base weight?! my empty pack and tent weigh more than that all by themselves. I have to ask. If you are so concerned about the weight, why are you even carrying camp shoes? Many a hiker has gone without. It's not as if it's essential gear.

LimpsAlong
02-14-2010, 09:37
4.5 lb base weight?! my empty pack and tent weigh more than that all by themselves. I have to ask. If you are so concerned about the weight, why are you even carrying camp shoes? Many a hiker has gone without. It's not as if it's essential gear.

All my reasons are already posted.

Hokie
02-14-2010, 10:43
These? (http://www.gofastandlight.com/Zinetic-Pocket-Slipper-Camp-Shoes/productinfo/CL-Z/)
No, those are too heavy but the pool type shoes are a lighter version of that basic design. My size 13 weigh 2 ounces total for the pair - 58 grams to be exact. Been several years since I bought them so do not recall where they were ordered off hand but do recall they were cheap.

Hyway
02-14-2010, 11:50
wow, an $8 dollar shipping fee for the neoprene slippers? Thats as much as the slippers.

leaftye
02-14-2010, 13:23
Nothing is as light as nothing. If your shoes were comfortable enough to carry you through 10-20 miles or more that day why not use them for camp shoes?
I only carry extra footwear in the winter - down booties.
For those looking for something that can also handle a stream crossing or two there are hard soled neoprene shoes available at most kayak/rafting outfitters.
Crocks and Waldies strike me as ok shower shoes, but I don't think I'd like to hike any distance in them (if my hiking shoes blew out, say) or cross a shoe-sucking muddy stream in them.

Here are my reasons, particularly for why I picked the shoes I got.

1. To have shoes I can switch into during breaks when I'm drying out my socks, insoles and footwear separately. Sure, I could go barefoot, but then I have to deal with picking pebbles out of my feet which tends to double the length of the break.

2. Fording creeks.

3. Can work as a spare set of footwear should the need arise. Since mine breathe so well, I may use them on my hottest sections.

They also serve as camp shoes, but that's way down on the list. I only call them camp shoes because that's what people call a second set of footwear that's not intended for hiking big miles.

The only regret I have is that they probably won't work well as shower shoes.

DirtySouth
02-19-2010, 23:52
I carry a pair of Salomon Amphibian shoes. Compared to Crocs or flops, they're a little heavier but I prefer them because they can be used on the trail also, and offer more protection during water crossings. After a long day, these things feel like feathers when you slide them on. IMHO, they're well worth the extra weight.

Del Q
02-20-2010, 08:08
Check out Waldies Aruba. Just got a pair, a bit snug for my wide foot by lightweight. At 4 am heading to the privy or into the woods, I want something decent on my feet, snakes, rocks, roots, etc

goedde2
03-31-2010, 09:46
If you are an REI member, you can use their 20% off coupon, good on one full priced item, through 4/18, and try using it for the Crocs they have. I picked up a leather version doing that very same thing, and they are the one luxury item I really appreciate after a long day in the boots.

Ender
03-31-2010, 10:27
These are my camp shoes...
http://www.sprintaquatics.com/prodinfo.asp?number=901
They weigh in at 1.5 ounces for the pair, and are surprisingly durable. I also used them for river crossings on the PCT, and they worked great and didn't wear out.

q-tip
07-04-2010, 22:45
Get the lightest you can find...Bring a good pair of sleeping socks and it will work ok.

Panzer1
07-04-2010, 23:41
it isn't necessary to find the lightest shoe possible. The less a camp shoe weights, the less it can do. There is a linear relationship between weight and functionality.

Panzer

HeartWalker
07-05-2010, 07:54
I fell and broke my ankle on my thru this year wearing Crocs while going down a steep hill to get water after it rained and so I was looking for something with a little more ankle support and found these http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/net/cb/mens-aquaduck-daytona-sandals-black.aspx?a=399047
They weigh 12 ounces for the xxl which are a little snug for my size 14 but are okay. That is a lot of weight I know but each has to decide if they are worth it to you. I may or may not carry them when I return but this is a viable option. These can also be used for crossing streams.

JAK
07-05-2010, 18:17
gave up crocs and flops and extra shoes. one boot,one nation, one hike, underwear,unblueblazeable, with ice cream and bacon and pancakes for all. the weight of crocs compared to the weight of hunger removed by bacon does not compute. camp shoes is a myth being used agin my peeps to lowere bacon consumption in a bacon corrected sociaty gone fat free transiting.General "Buck" Turgidson: Uh, we're, still trying to figure out the meaning of that last phrase, sir.

President Merkin Muffley: There's nothing to figure out, General Turgidson. This man is obviously a psychotic.

General "Buck" Turgidson: We-he-ell, uh, I'd like to hold off judgement on a thing like that, sir, until all the facts are in.

President Merkin Muffley: General Turgidson! When you instituted the human reliability tests, you *assured* me there was *no* possibility of such a thing *ever* occurring!

General "Buck" Turgidson: Well, I, uh, don't think it's quite fair to condemn a whole program because of a single slip-up, sir.