PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoe experience on the AT

Deerleg
02-13-2010, 11:34
Based on NOAA's snow depth maps it looks like there is anywhere from almost 40" to 12" of snow along the AT in PA. I plan on hiking part of the central PA trail in 2 weeks. Looking at the current 10 day forecast for the region it looks like daytime temps will only go slightly above freezing, and it would seem likely there will be plenty of snow pack at the end of February.
Just got a decent pair of snowshoes that are designed for moderate climbing, powder or packed snow conditions. I've been out a lot here locally in about 18" of powder and on some packed trails. My observations so far are that you work moderately hard in the powder compared to shoeing on a snow-packed trail.
I've learned over the years to take what the trail gives and I'm guessing I can cut my daily miles in half or a third compared to a spring hike on semi dry trails.

Any experience snowshoeing the trail? What was it like?

woodsy
02-13-2010, 12:37
Looks like you already have it figured out.
About a mile an hour is average on shoes, depending on conditions it could be more or less. An 8 mile day is a long day on snowshoes for the average Joe.
Good luck and don't push too hard, take frequent short breaks!

1azarus
02-13-2010, 12:50
try to pack it down really well -- walking sideways might be best... i'll be there the beginning of march.

Ox97GaMe
02-14-2010, 13:14
I have done a lot of snowshoe backpacking in the Smokies and in the Rockies over the years. I have found that once you get used to wearing them, you will not see that much of a significant drop in mileage on flat or downhill. 1.5-2mph pace can be achieved. Uphill though, the extra weight of each shoe causes me to slow down to about 1-1.5 mph, depending on the grade.

I have also found that along the AT, it is best to have about 6-8 inches on the ground. Less than that causes my shoes to catch on rocks and roots. If less than 6 inches, my shoes go on the pack.

I dont know what hiking in PA would be like, given the rocky terrain in most places. But, I would say that if there truly is 30-40 inches on the ground, rocks wont be a problem for you.

bullseye
02-14-2010, 13:47
Take friend....it's always better when you can take turns breaking trail.

Pickleodeon
02-14-2010, 14:07
I've thought about it too.. My snowshoes are plastic and really crappy, but around my yard it was fun. I was thinking that all of the rocks would most likely be covered except for maybe some dicey spots, like Bake Oven Knob area, or Bear rocks, but other than that, I'm thinking it would be ok around Rt. 183, Port clinton area. Depends where you are going to be, and I haven't actually tried it, and wouldn't with my current snow shoes. And I wouldn't go near Lehigh Gap.

Oh, also, I heard more snow is expected for early this week.

sasquatch2014
02-14-2010, 16:43
I am still trying to decide what I will do in this same regard. I was hoping to go from I-81 south to Duncannon but given the amount of snow that I expect they have on the ground there and the fact more will still come I am guessing I will need Skis or Snowshoes to do this section. From what I can tell in the guide books big parts of this section are on old woods roads and rail beds so might not be too much of an issue but still not really sure. Long way to drive to figure out that it won't work out.

Ox97GaMe
02-14-2010, 20:17
Pickle brings up a good point. It depends a lot on the type of snowshoe you have. Mine are top quality Atlas and are rated for up to 300 lbs load (body weight + pack weight). Im never running that heavy, more in the 230 range. I am hardly ever sinking into the snow more than about 2-3 inches as I walk. I also have the teeth cleats just under the front ball of each foot, which gives good bite even on crusted snow or ice.

If your shoe is not rated for your load weight, then you are likely to sink into the snow further, or perhaps even break the shoe when stepping on roots and rocks.

sasquatch2014
02-14-2010, 23:55
Pickle brings up a good point. It depends a lot on the type of snowshoe you have. Mine are top quality Atlas and are rated for up to 300 lbs load (body weight + pack weight). Im never running that heavy, more in the 230 range. I am hardly ever sinking into the snow more than about 2-3 inches as I walk. I also have the teeth cleats just under the front ball of each foot, which gives good bite even on crusted snow or ice.

If your shoe is not rated for your load weight, then you are likely to sink into the snow further, or perhaps even break the shoe when stepping on roots and rocks.

Mine are not rated really they came as a tee prize on a golf outing years ago but I figure based on size they would support my body minus my left ass cheek but nothing more. My pack and I will be pushing the upper 250 range easily.

ki0eh
02-15-2010, 10:28
Surely someone must have figured out the weight ratings in terms of pounds per square inch (or kilopascals, on the PA MST), then one could figure out the surface area on the bottom and check, right?

Deerleg
02-15-2010, 21:07
I am by no expert and only have a few hours on my snow shoes. My WAG (wiled A** guess) is that as far as ratings go it all depends on conditions. I'm looking forward to a little bit of a melt down and refreeze as I believe that will stabilize the snow as long as its below freezing, if the temp goes up and things soften up I think its going to be tough going. NOAA uses terms like "snow density" "sublimation of snow surface, sublimation of blowing snow, snow pack temperature by density and layer" and I have no clue what that all means other than it sounds like you better know your conditions to know what kind of effort you will need to make, what equipment will work best, and real expectations in miles. I'm planing on hiking in the corridor between Clark's Valley and as far north as Lehigh Gap. If I make it that far Ill take the Blue blaze around the cliff.

Marta
02-16-2010, 08:10
Over New Year's, Trek mentioned he uses MSR Denali snowshoes to traverse northern New England while they're still covered with snow. He said he likes the traction the built-in crampons provide.

http://www.rei.com/product/703354

woodsy
02-16-2010, 09:51
Deerleg: My WAG (wiled A** guess) is that as far as ratings go it all depends on conditions.Thats about it as far as snowshoe ratings go.
I alternate between 2 pairs depending on conditions. One for packed trail or hard snow conditions (8x24), the other(9x30) for breaking trail and soft, deep or powder conditions.
Sometimes its just a crap shoot between the two although i generally prefer to use the smaller ones.
I've been on my powder shoes and sunk in a foot after fresh dumps, thats hard going !
So those ratings are what the snowshoe will withstand for weight on top of them, not how much they will float.
Did a couple back to back 12 mile days on the AT over some of the worst terrain Maine has to offer, it was tough , especially in early spring conditions.
With spring like conditions, best shoeing is in the mornings generally before the sun and warmer temps soften the snow, some of that warming spring snow where temps are in the high 40s or 50s has no bottom where it is deep, even with snowshoes. Its easy to slip off a packed trail in spring conditions too making it a struggle as well.

Mags
02-16-2010, 13:19
A little doc I wrote about snowshoeing:

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Outdoor-Writings/intro-to-snowshoeing.html

Deerleg
02-16-2010, 18:22
Thanks for the article Mags.
Thanks for your insights Woodsy....
I only have one pair: Tubbs Snowshoes - Wilderness size:25" 200lb rating...with gear I'll max close to 195lbs.
Until this winter we've rarely had conditions for more then a couple of days to play on the snow, but this year I think a good chunk of the east can make snow angels for a few weeks yet! :rolleyes:

weary
02-16-2010, 19:18
double post

weary
02-16-2010, 19:22
Surely someone must have figured out the weight ratings in terms of pounds per square inch (or kilopascals, on the PA MST), then one could figure out the surface area on the bottom and check, right?
Negative. That's impossible in the real world. Because snow is not a uniform substance. Some snow is wet and heavy. Some is light and fluffy -- when it falls. Then it changes consistency every hour after it falls, depending on the original consistency, temperature, wind, time since it fell, how much it has been packed by snowmobilers and other hikers.....

In my experience -- though that only covers 65 years, so far -- most snowshoers use bigger snowshoes than they need for typical AT conditions.

Anyway. Sometimes I can walk over snow so deep that virtually covers the white blazes on the trees and my snowshoes hardly sink in at all and I can gluide along with virtually no effort except for the extra weight of the shoes themselves. Other times I'll sink a foot into the fluffy stuff with every step and be exhausted after an hour of breaking trail.

Weary

bigcranky
02-16-2010, 21:58
In my experience -- though that only covers 65 years, so far -- most snowshoers use bigger snowshoes than they need for typical AT conditions.

That describes me. My snowshoes are big long wide (9x36?) that I got cheap a few years ago. They are great for new deep soft snow, but kinda large for climbing steep terrain. My next pair will be 27 inches or so, with much better crampons.