PDA

View Full Version : Experience with the Gregory Baltor 70?

left turn
02-13-2010, 11:44
i am still up in the air about which pack to get for heavy loads but i have been really eye balling the Gregory Baltoro 70. my question is for those with experience with the pack will it be able to compress down for lighter loads and handle the heavier loads? and any other experience with this pack would be appreciated. maybe some recommendations?

Spot In The Sky
02-13-2010, 21:01
I bought this pack for my trip, starting end of June- but have used it on hikes and a camping trip or two and packed it pretty heavily with books and dead weight for training purposes and it always holds up- super comfortable too- I was up in the air between this and an Osprey but glad I went with this one- the waist belt is sooo comfortable.
So I cant speak about long term camping- but for two night trips and 15 mile hikes weighted to 40lb, this thing is a champ all the way through.

left turn
02-14-2010, 09:25
I was up in the air between this and an Osprey but glad I went with this one- the waist belt is sooo comfortable.
So I cant speak about long term camping- but for two night trips and 15 mile hikes weighted to 40lb, this thing is a champ all the way through.

i'm in the same boat, i'm between the Osprey and the Gregory, the Gregory seems to get better reviews, but i thought i would ask here to see what everybody thought.

Egads
02-14-2010, 09:27
Super heavy pack for super heavy loads. Not my style, the pack resides in the attic with rare use

left turn
02-14-2010, 10:12
Super heavy pack for super heavy loads. Not my style, the pack resides in the attic with rare use

what are you using?

white_russian
02-14-2010, 10:25
i'm in the same boat, i'm between the Osprey and the Gregory, the Gregory seems to get better reviews, but i thought i would ask here to see what everybody thought.
I have bought and returned an Osprey for a Gregory.

Spot In The Sky
02-14-2010, 11:37
I have bought and returned an Osprey for a Gregory.

I was recommended these two while at EMS- and the guys selling point for the Osprey was that it was 1lb lighter and less zippers and better if youre naturally organized since not many pockets- but Gregory was heavier due to padding which I would imagine is important for 2K miles, and more pockets to help better organize a newbie like me.

white_russian
02-14-2010, 12:32
I was recommended these two while at EMS- and the guys selling point for the Osprey was that it was 1lb lighter and less zippers and better if youre naturally organized since not many pockets- but Gregory was heavier due to padding which I would imagine is important for 2K miles, and more pockets to help better organize a newbie like me.
My Gregory is a Palisade so there is no way I would carry it 2K miles, too damn heavy and way too big for the summer. This thing is strictly for winter and random heavy loads.

left turn
02-14-2010, 13:15
how does the Gregory Baltoro 70 stand up to the ULA Catalyst? i like the idea of the sleeping bag compartment on the Gregory

double d
02-14-2010, 14:02
You will get alot of advice when it comes to backpacks, but I think the Baltoro 70 is too big. For example, you don't need a sleeping bag compartment, just stuff your sleeping bag and its sack at the bottow of your pack (or wherever you like to keep in your pack). Bigger backpack means "filling" it with gear you don't need, costing you weight, money and frustration. Good luck and get in some shake down hikes.

left turn
02-14-2010, 14:44
You will get alot of advice when it comes to backpacks, but I think the Baltoro 70 is too big. For example, you don't need a sleeping bag compartment, just stuff your sleeping bag and its sack at the bottow of your pack (or wherever you like to keep in your pack). Bigger backpack means "filling" it with gear you don't need, costing you weight, money and frustration. Good luck and get in some shake down hikes.

i understand all of that, but sometimes i have to carry gear for two people because my fiancee can't carry all of her equipment. i'd like a pack that can carry a large load and carry a light load. was hoping the Gregory Baltoro 70 would be good for this. i like the sleeping bag compartment for other things, i probably would not be putting my sleeping bag in it. i would use it for easy access items and such.

DrRichardCranium
02-14-2010, 15:53
Baltoro 70 is 70L, or 4300 cc. It's definitely not Ultralight, but it isn't exactly HUGE. It is only a little bit bigger than some others. More of a middle-sized backpack.

And it is very comfortable & well made. I chose it because you could carry a light load or a somewhat heavy load.

left turn
02-15-2010, 11:20
And it is very comfortable & well made. I chose it because you could carry a light load or a somewhat heavy load.

this was the kinda answer i was looking for. because i needed a pack for larger loads and smaller loads and needed confirmation on this from some one with experience with the pack and not reviews from websites trying to sell the pack

thanks for the reply, any others?

lazy river road
02-15-2010, 12:08
Left Turn, I hear ya loud and clear. A lot of people on this site are very experienced (and have great advice and know lots more then me) but like to be ultra light BP and advocate for the lightest smallest pack which has its purposes but for newbs like us isent IMHO always the best pack to go with. Im not saying go for carrying all the weight you can but their are pros and cons to every pack. I bought the Gregory Baltoro 70, I have never long distanced hiked before, and I plan to use it on my end to end of the Long Trail this summer. I choose this pack over the catalyst (even though I may exchange it in the end but thats to be determined later pedending on my pack weight well see). Even though the Gregory is heavy it most certainly is a load carrier. I bought it because on my first hike I do plan to carry a bit of extra comfort stuff to make me feel comfortable on my hike. I plan on brining a small pack pillow, a water filter pump, probally Ill even end up with to much food at some times just simply because this is my first hike. The Gregory is a really comfortable pack, it rides really well and has broad shoulders for bigger guys like me. I as well like the pockets for organization because im new to this as well and like the pocket organizational features. The ULA packs are an excellent pack (from all the reviews ive read) and the Gregory is about the same size as the catalyst. The Catalyst carries a lighter load due to the suspension system. The Gregory has a much heafter suspension system. My GF is 4'11 100pds and when we go on over night trips (we are planning one) I dont want her to be carrying more then a frameless pack with some cloths and food in it and I plan on hauling the load to make it more plesant for her and just to intise her to be in the woods more. Yes the Gregory is a heavy pack but IMHO its a good starter pack. After Im able to get my load down a bit ill switch to a ULA circut or a Go LIght Jam of some sort. Think of it as an evolution, you will end up buying more then one pack in your back packing carrier as you evolve your pack will to. But the number one most important thing is find a pack that comfortable. I went to REI and walked around for HRS with diffferent packs with different weights in it. Good luck on your search I know it can be a tedious one. HYOH

ranfreem
02-15-2010, 12:38
some stores will rent packs and you can try. I tried a Baltoro for a long outing and liked it a lot. then bought a gregory triconi because of sale. I've had it 3 yr. and like it a lot. later I bought my daughter a baltoro.

LTROSS
02-15-2010, 17:21
Carried a baltoro 70 on a 450 mile trek. great pack with 40-50 pound loads. At 60-65 pounds it starts to fall apart though gregory had no problem replacing it. I like the the pack and frame better than my osprey though prefer my osprey as the baltoro is much larger than i need.

Yukon
02-16-2010, 09:27
I've used the Baltoro 70 for two years now and love it. I toyed with the idea of trying a ULA Catalyst but the more I thought about it and the more I looked at the ULA, the more I liked my Gregory. The packs are bombproof, which is a big deal to me, I love durability. I have packed it full with 50 pound loads and strapped it down with 20 pound loads and it always works great. I like the brain pack on it and the seperate sleeping bag compartment. Many different entry points and awesome pocket layout. Plus, the thing rides like a cadillac, just that simple. I have yet to see a suspension system on any other pack out there like the one on the Baltoro. My fiancee has the Gregory Deva 60, which is a smaller version of the Baltoro basically and she absolutely loves it. The biggest arguement people have against the Gregory packs is they weigh slightly more than other packs out there, which is valid. But honestly, you don't notice it at all becuase of how good it carries. And while those other packs are wearing out faster and ripping apart, the Baltoro is still holding strong. I have bushwacked through some nasty bushes and rubbed against countless trees and my Baltoro still looks and works great, never a single problem. But when it comes down to it, this is all just my opinion and what works for me. I'm 6'-6" tall and about 235 pounds, so I can carry more weight than most people comfortably. That's not bragging, it's just the way it is. I'd say try on as many packs as you can get your hands on with some weight in them then go from there...good luck :)

Bare Bear
02-16-2010, 17:38
Stores like to sell you what they have in stock...... I never would have finsihed if not for ditching the heavy Gregory I lugged to Harpers Ferry for the six pound lighter GoLIte I finished with. I have hiked a lot since with the Go Lite and the Gregory sits in the closet with an older external frame pack, that was still better than the Gregory In my opinion.

DickHumbird
02-16-2010, 18:00
Do NOT get the Baltoro. Take a look at its mainstay: it was waay too weak for a long distance hike. Compare it too the structure of the atmos or the palisade; those are much more stable.
I def recommend the Palisade if you need extra room. it's what I used to finish my WV->ME '09 hike after my baltoro broke down on me in the Whites.
I returned my baltoro for the osprey atmos for my GA->WV '10 hike.

DickHumbird
02-16-2010, 18:01
Do NOT get the Baltoro. Take a look at its mainstay: it was waay too weak for a long distance hike. Compare it too the structure of the atmos or the palisade; those are much more stable.
I def recommend the Palisade if you need extra room. it's what I used to finish my WV->ME '09 hike after my baltoro broke down on me in the Whites.

Yukon
02-17-2010, 13:33

Bummer you have had a problem with yours, did you ever contact Gregory about it? If there was such a problem with every one of them I'm sure Gregory would have addressed the issue. Maybe you just got a lemon?

Newb
02-19-2010, 09:45
I love my Baltoro. I don't feel a need to "overstuff" it. I find it to be very comfortable. it's my friend.

DickHumbird
02-19-2010, 11:03
Bummer you have had a problem with yours, did you ever contact Gregory about it? If there was such a problem with every one of them I'm sure Gregory would have addressed the issue. Maybe you just got a lemon?

Lemon? I don't know, I doubt it but can't rule it out. Yes, I called Gregory and they sent me the loaner and then a replacement Gregory. The Palisade was great, though.

lazy river road
02-19-2010, 11:15

What do you mean that the main stay (aluminum stablizer piece down the center of the pack Is what I assume you are talking about) was to weak for a long distance hike, could you further elaborate? Did you find it just not to ride well. And thats why I bought my pack at REI, because if it fails on me I can just return it and get another one. Besides weight, ive only heard good things about the baltoro 70 and am always looking for falts in gear in order to improve on the gear I Have. I know that the ULA catalyst is now comes with two aluminum stays in it as a standard option. How much weight were you carrying?

DCHiker
02-19-2010, 11:54
I've owned the baltoro for just over a year now. Absolutely love it! Is it the lightest pack out there? NO! But the comfort is unmatched compared to the various other packs I've tried.

tea-pot
02-19-2010, 14:19
Follow you heart...
Everyone here is going to have a different opinion on THE pack to buy. I have backpacking guides from the 90's that say that external frame packs are superior to internal frame packs for the AT...technology and trends change, but confidence in your equipment shouldn't.

As for Gregory packs, I love my older style Gregory Triconi (60L and 5lbs 13oz). My friend has had his Gregory Shasta for over 10 years and still uses it when he leads Sierra Club trips, despite its 10+ pounds. They may be slightly over-built, but they seem to last forever.

left turn
02-21-2010, 22:07
thanks for all the reply's and info, i think i am gonna go with the Gregory. it's got what i want and i think it will perfect for what i need.

i'm used to hiking and camping but i always used old military packs (Alice Packs mainly) and never had to worry about carrying other peoples gear or more gear than my pack can hold. i always got along fine, but when my fiancee and dogs comes my load gets heavier so i need more room in my pack to cover it. my military packs are made for one persons gear.

i figured i should get a pack that will make up for the extra load and be able to carry a small load as well and last forever. thanks for the reply's and info everybody:banana

DickHumbird
02-21-2010, 22:15
What do you mean that the main stay (aluminum stablizer piece down the center of the pack Is what I assume you are talking about) was to weak for a long distance hike, could you further elaborate? Did you find it just not to ride well. And thats why I bought my pack at REI, because if it fails on me I can just return it and get another one. Besides weight, ive only heard good things about the baltoro 70 and am always looking for falts in gear in order to improve on the gear I Have. I know that the ULA catalyst is now comes with two aluminum stays in it as a standard option. How much weight were you carrying?

I carried the thru-hiker avg of 30 pounds give or take. Too weak for the trail means, in my case, the the mainstay came apart from the bottom of the pack. The plastic piece connecting aluminum bar to pack simply failed.