PDA

View Full Version : Tell me if this is ridiculous.....

AeroGuyDC
02-14-2010, 00:01
The thought crossed my mind that a emergency/space blanket ($3.95 and only 3 oz) would be a good alternative to a tent footprint and/or vesitbule floor.

I've never personally used a space blanket for anything, so I have no idea how durable they are. Could one be used for this purpose, or is this wishful thinking?

(I know many here don't use footprints for various reasons, so no need for the "you don't need a footprint!" responses in this particluar thread :D)

Mountain Wildman
02-14-2010, 00:04
I was thinking the same thing, I bought the AMK Heatsheet one person emergency blanket and figured I would try it as a footprint, It weighs 2.5 ounces and I was going to carry it anyway.

Cool AT Breeze
02-14-2010, 00:06
get some tyvec. space blankets are too fragile and noisy.

Captain
02-14-2010, 00:10
The thought crossed my mind that a emergency/space blanket ($3.95 and only 3 oz) would be a good alternative to a tent footprint and/or vesitbule floor.

I've never personally used a space blanket for anything, so I have no idea how durable they are. Could one be used for this purpose, or is this wishful thinking?

(I know many here don't use footprints for various reasons, so no need for the "you don't need a footprint!" responses in this particluar thread :D)

as i would imagine it not silly for the purpose..but silly for the practicality of it.. i mean reason you use the footprint is to take abuse from the ground rather than letting that abuse transfer to your tent floor.. emergency blankets is little more than plastic coated tin foil so i doubt it would stand up to even one night of use

AeroGuyDC
02-14-2010, 00:14
as i would imagine it not silly for the purpose..but silly for the practicality of it.. i mean reason you use the footprint is to take abuse from the ground rather than letting that abuse transfer to your tent floor.. emergency blankets is little more than plastic coated tin foil so i doubt it would stand up to even one night of use

That's pretty much what I was wondering...if a space blanket had any amount of durability to it. It sounds like it doesn't?

Captain
02-14-2010, 00:19
That's pretty much what I was wondering...if a space blanket had any amount of durability to it. It sounds like it doesn't?

right , in any case the frame of mind is in the right place just not this particular solution, trying to whittle weight and find a new way of doing things is always helpful

GGS2
02-14-2010, 00:45
Space blankets are aluminum coated mylar, usually, and the mylar is very thin to conserve weight and bulk. Mylar is tough stuff, but thin mylar is not really tough enough. And as has been noted, it crackles because it is too stiff to conform easily to compound curves, like the ground underneath your tent groundsheet. So it is not the best footprint material. Tyvek, on the other hand, is available much thicker. It is a spin felted material similar to polyethylene, which is much less stiff (after the initial sizing has been washed or worn out) and therefore conforms to compound curves much better and quieter. Because it is a bonded felt, it is tough and durable, and has some bulk to absorb some of the ground unevenness, particularly the sharpies. That's the final decider: mylar, if cut, can tear; tyvek doesn't tear very easily because it is a fibrous material, so it resists wear from sharp stones much better.

Conclusion: Use Tyvek for a footprint. Space blanket too fragile and annoying.

scope
02-14-2010, 00:56
I think the point is to get some reflective heat radiation right? I had the same idea, and the stuff you're talking about is too fragile. I even put duct tape on the edges and it still tore. It worked, though, if only for one outing, but I don't know that I got any significant radiation effect. The aforementioned noisy crinkliness didn't bother me, I think its minimized when spread out on the ground like that.

There is a "bivvy" by Advanced Medical that I believe would work better and doesn't pack much larger. Its about $14, but seems like it would be tougher and more multifunctional in an emergency.

Note: I wasn't using as a footprint, was using as a floor under a tarp.

Jester2000
02-14-2010, 02:17
Since you asked, that is ridiculous.

Go with Tyvek.

Tinker
02-14-2010, 02:32
I have a 20 year old space blanket, but that is one of the 12 oz. ones. I used it more than a few times for glissading in the White Mountains in the 1990s.
The pocket types are for emergencies only and usually can't be folded back up to the original size.
A cheap solution is 4 mil dropcloth - black if you can get it (I usually only find 6 mil in black) because it shows holes better. Patch it with duct tape until it gets rediculous.
Because there are ticks and biting insects much of the year I preferred using a bivy back when I slept on the ground. You can spray around the opening with permethrin to keep ticks away.
Equinox makes one that weighs around 7 ozs. for around $50.00. Bring a bug net for your face.

Tinker
02-14-2010, 02:33
Here - Save yourself some searching: http://www.combattactical.com/equinox-ultralite-mummy-bivi-p-17328.html

Marta
02-14-2010, 06:16
I like space blankets for a tent footprint. They are lighter than Tyvek, and fold up smaller. Some are very fragile and will tear quickly. I got one in Gorham, NH, though, that is orange on one side and has first aid instructions printed all over it. It's more flexible and much stronger than other space blankets, and lasted me the rest of my SOBO hike, and I have it and use it still, three years later. It's also less noisy than the more fragile types.

brooklynkayak
02-14-2010, 07:18
Polycryo is much lighter than tyvek and quite durable:
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/polycryo_ground_cloth.html?id=WkWnYTYP:69.31.90.29

Rockhound
02-14-2010, 09:13
Go with Tyvek. Much sturdier and QUIETER. If this a weight question I have to ask, why are you carrying a footprint at all?

LimpsAlong
02-14-2010, 10:10
Go with Tyvek. Much sturdier and QUIETER. If this a weight question I have to ask, why are you carrying a footprint at all?

Can ANYONE carry anything and still be concerned about weight? He wants a footprint to protect his tent floor and he wants something light. Is this hard to understand?

thelowend
02-14-2010, 11:20
http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/tyvek.shtml

Rockhound
02-14-2010, 11:23
Can ANYONE carry anything and still be concerned about weight? He wants a footprint to protect his tent floor and he wants something light. Is this hard to understand?
I don't get it.

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2010, 11:53
I'm with Marta on this thread, If you want to use mylar over Tyvek go for it, I don't think it matters. I am all for "Mc Gyver" like dual purpous items. And yes you can pack it back up very small, just won't be like you got it from the store.

Sleeping in it is noisy, on the ground? not so much. And when it wears out? Go buy another one... Whats $5 a year? - Enjoy!

LimpsAlong
02-14-2010, 12:07
I don't get it.
You posted the same question when I was looking for lighter weight camp shoes. You said..."I have to ask, if you are so concerned about weight why are you even carrying (fill in the blank)?
We both posted our reasons for what we carry we just wanted lighter versions of what we have.

Jester2000
02-14-2010, 12:09
. . . I know many here don't use footprints for various reasons, so no need for the "you don't need a footprint!" responses in this particluar thread :D . . .

. . . If this a weight question I have to ask, why are you carrying a footprint at all?

You have to admit that for whiteblaze, 13 post before someone ignores the original poster's request is pretty good.

tammons
02-14-2010, 12:12
MOST ULr's use polycro.
Sold at a couple of UL gear stores.

Frostking window and sliding glass door inul is the same thing and you can find it online.

Should weigh about 2 oz for a footprint.