PDA

View Full Version : Wautaga Lake to Rhone question

left turn
02-14-2010, 10:37
i know i need to get a map book, but i thought while i was waiting to get one i would just ask here since everybody's so friendly

does the AT run into 321 at Watauga Lake? if it does where about does it run into it at? i know heading to Rhone and carvers gap it crosses 19E.

basically looking for a good starting point at Watauga Lake to head towards Rhone. Anybody know the mileage from Watauga lake to the peak of Rhone or how many days hike it is? last time i talked to someone doing the same hike they said it was about 3-4 days? i'm not sure? i've hiked the Rhone area up to 19E but have not gone past that.

is there some where safe to leave your car at Watauga Lake unlike Carvers gap, or should a drop off and pickup be arranged?

Lone Wolf
02-14-2010, 10:45
watauga lake/321 to roan mtn. is 49 miles. the AT goes thru the Shook Branch rec. area at the south end of the lake. i would arrange a shuttle with bob peoples at Kincora hostel

left turn
02-14-2010, 10:53
watauga lake/321 to roan mtn. is 49 miles. the AT goes thru the Shook Branch rec. area at the south end of the lake. i would arrange a shuttle with bob peoples at Kincora hostel

i have friends that can drop me off and pick me up, so a shuttle will not be necessary. thanks for the info

white_russian
02-14-2010, 11:05
until you get your book, just use last years companion on the web

http://aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm