PDA

View Full Version : Ceasar Milan - has made changes to the Dog Wisperer.

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2010, 10:50
Sometimes psychology of dogs and owners isn't enough to keep this show interesting. On a same note, I too got burned out on what was my favorite forum here on WB because of too many posts of "leashes."

I now have a lab that loves to meet other people and I now have a calm submissive dog on the trail. I also have a trained dog to bark the hell out of a stranger that approaches the property when we are at home. Unless I give a command to stop barking and introduce the stranger.

Cesar has incorporated new shows to teach non dog owners what to look for in dog aggressive behavior. Training Postal Letter Carriers to approach in a powerful calming way to-wards the home and not being submissive in their behavior. Training owners to have better control on their animals. The new shows offer new information now. To me training SPCA rescues is fun and interesting. Training old dogs is fun as it is a great interaction and although we can play, its a good feeling when the dog gets the new behavior.

One of my favorite moments on the trail was when my dad's dog, a Jack Russel ran up to a woman who at first was obviously a little distressed at first. My dad did not make the obvious dumb statement "He won't bite" He told Jack, DOWN and Jack stopped and went down, the woman came up and petted Jack and things went quite well. Then my dad shook his head and looked very disappointed on this good moment and told the woman she "Just undid all the attack training for the last six months!" :D The challenge is Psychology!

Weigh in!

Rocket Jones
02-14-2010, 11:04
I have an older, small dog that isn't up to hiking. I'd love to get a new pup, but I know that I just don't have the time to train like it needs to be done. It wouldn't be fair to anyone, so I just don't.

thelowend
02-14-2010, 11:16
here's my problem that i am having right now along these lines: I have two dogs; one black lab (two years old. we got her after having the first pup for about 4 years) and a catahoula/heeler mix (5 yrs old). The catahoula got quite jealous when we brought in the lab and he still shows some aggression towards her at home (nothing super violent, but enough to be worrisome) and she is quite submissive at home but when we go out in public, she becomes the alpha and if any dogs we haven't met yet approach us too fast, my lab tends to get very defensive (acting a lot like the catahoula). It is obvious her behavior is learned but I am jsut trying to figure out how to help her chill out (and how to chill out the catahoula at home) so we can be completely worry free on our hikes.

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2010, 11:22
I have an older, small dog that isn't up to hiking. I'd love to get a new pup, but I know that I just don't have the time to train like it needs to be done. It wouldn't be fair to anyone, so I just don't.

RJ I don't know what keeps you so busy, but its like anything else - you make time because its important you.

Example: If you don't like the way your wife or girlfreind cooks - you learn to cook better, or earn lots of money so you can afford to go out. Or in one case (my brother) you give up and eat hungry man dinners, a lot, possibly why the first marriage didn't work out, And he works harder now.

Discovering how to spend time with a dog and training requires a small trip to the library or UTUBE.

I know that example above is going to get a rise out of someone.... don't be a hater.:D

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2010, 11:44
here's my problem that i am having right now along these lines: I have two dogs; one black lab (two years old. we got her after having the first pup for about 4 years) and a catahoula/heeler mix (5 yrs old). The catahoula got quite jealous when we brought in the lab and he still shows some aggression towards her at home (nothing super violent, but enough to be worrisome) and she is quite submissive at home but when we go out in public, she becomes the alpha and if any dogs we haven't met yet approach us too fast, my lab tends to get very defensive (acting a lot like the catahoula). It is obvious her behavior is learned but I am jsut trying to figure out how to help her chill out (and how to chill out the catahoula at home) so we can be completely worry free on our hikes.

Its a little hard to offer any advice without "seeing it" first hand. At home one dog is going to take dominance, a little growl now and then is nothing more than a reminder to the other dog about territory and space. If one watches the show, you need to take dominance with a distraction touch and "shhh" or "NO" Much like boys or brothers behaving badly in the back of a car because they are in each other's space and are bored.

Rocket Jones
02-14-2010, 14:40
RJ I don't know what keeps you so busy, but its like anything else - you make time because its important to you.

Absolutely true. My other "time drains" are important enough to me to not want to short-change them in order to make time for training a dog.

Highpointbound
02-14-2010, 20:06
Sometimes psychology of dogs and owners isn't enough to keep this show interesting. On a same note, I too got burned out on what was my favorite forum here on WB because of too many posts of "leashes."

One of my favorite moments on the trail was when my dad's dog, a Jack Russel ran up to a woman who at first was obviously a little distressed at first.Weigh in!

Yeah, the dog ran up to this lady causing her distress because of that dirty little word you have been "burned out" from...LEASH!

What is with you people and not wanting to leash your dogs?????

I'm "burned out" too from all the dingbats on trails who just HAVE to let little precious run up to people.

LEASH THE DOG OR KEEP IT HOME! Your dog doesnt have more rights than the people trying to enjoy the trails. :mad:

Wise Old Owl
03-06-2010, 18:02
Well thats the end of this thread....

Wise Old Owl
03-15-2010, 00:01
Yeah, the dog ran up to this lady causing her distress because of that dirty little word you have been "burned out" from...LEASH!

I'm "burned out" too from all the dingbats on trails who just HAVE to let little precious run up to people.

LEASH THE DOG OR KEEP IT HOME! Your dog doesnt have more rights than the people trying to enjoy the trails. :mad:

Wasn't me Dee. "MY 73 year old Dad's Dog and the dog is ancient too." So suck it up. The dog is no bigger than a cuddly rabbit. Wait if Frazier's dad's dog ran up to you.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9BgHwbsR_Q Nevermind.

Dirty Nails
04-02-2010, 00:03
thelowend,
If you want to gain a real understanding of your dog's behavior, forget all this alpha-schmalpha, dominance/submissive, wolfpack, Ceasar crap and try a good book by a qualified, educated proffesional.
Anything by Patricia McConnel Phd; especially "The Other End of the Leash". If there is a dog owner's manual, this is it!
Also, "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson is great!

Jonnycat
04-02-2010, 15:42
Well thats the end of this thread....

'Ya know, the irony is that leash screamers like highpointbound are infinitely more offensive than an off-leash dog minding its own business on a trail.

Bark! Bark! Woof!

Wheeler
04-03-2010, 10:59
'Ya know, the irony is that leash screamers like highpointbound are infinitely more offensive than an off-leash dog minding its own business on a trail.

Bark! Bark! Woof!
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

agreed

white_russian
04-03-2010, 11:43
thelowend,
If you want to gain a real understanding of your dog's behavior, forget all this alpha-schmalpha, dominance/submissive, wolfpack, Ceasar crap and try a good book by a qualified, educated proffesional.
Anything by Patricia McConnel Phd; especially "The Other End of the Leash". If there is a dog owner's manual, this is it!

Why you would want to look past methods that obviously work is beyond me. The "Ceasar crap" has worked beautifully for me and my dog.

Dirty Nails
04-04-2010, 22:49
Lots of methods work, even a rolled-up newspaper, but that's obsolete. Good research shows newer methods are more effective.
I personally wouldn't let that guy near my dog. I was simply suggesting to check these books for a better understanding of dog behavior.

Wise Old Owl
04-19-2010, 11:18
Lots of methods work, even a rolled-up newspaper, but that's obsolete. Good research shows newer methods are more effective.
I personally wouldn't let that guy near my dog. I was simply suggesting to check these books for a better understanding of dog behavior.

The old methods like if a dog soils your house and you if you discover it quickly and push the nose in it and then put the dog outside still works, but then you have to trail the dog to make a noise to be let out.

Wise Old Owl
04-19-2010, 11:22
thelowend,

I have yet to see anything from any source about excessive licking of carpets, I have holes in the carpet, I have broken most of this habbit, but the dog still does it while I am out.

Nean
04-19-2010, 13:15

But leashes are NOT required on most of the trail. You do not have more rights than the dog. Get over yourself and /or find a trail that isn't so popular with dogs. Do you go to a fish market and complain that it smells like fish? Jeezums!:rolleyes::D:D:D:D:);)

Dirty Nails
04-25-2010, 02:29
I would never "push the nose in it ". If the dog has soiled the house, it's too late. The best action is to remove the opportunity to soil the house. That's just one great thing about the crate. Also, I would try to eliminate the opportunity to damage the carpet. If the dog is not left unattended in a carpetted room, it cannot rehearse that behavior.
My feeling is that a well trained dog is one that has learned and developed "polite" habits. My dog is well mannered in public because: #1 she has learned that practicing the wanted behaviors has earned her success and rewards, and #2 she has had lots of exposure to the outside world. Many dogs are simply overwhelmed or afraid when they leave the comfort zone of the home environment and just don't know how to behave. They suffer from sensory overload and haven't had enough time in a range of settings. I feel that you can't underestimate the power and value of taking the dog for a good walk.
Ceasar does say some stuff that I agree with, but I see the dogs on his show as fearful submissive, or anxious. My dog is polite, obedient, and confident! I don't think I see that on his show.
Also, if you read his first book, you would know that he clearly has no professional credentials whatsoever. That's why I suggested the books stated above. The dog owners on his show have clearly never read a book about training or behavior.
I also think his show dwells too much on mysterious theories like energy and aura. The books I named give you logic and simplicity.
There...I have "weighted in", haven't I?

Wise Old Owl
05-18-2010, 21:07
Well Dirty Nails, don't take this personally. IF that works for you - good for you. Its OK to disagree with you on that post because I know what works for me. Its not "too" late. Dogs do hate their own feces. Ok Most of them. I have broken dogs of bad habits over the years by grabbing the worst and rehabbing one that should not be put back into the public. But that is what I am proud of the most, I can take a mentally crippled dog that should be put down and turn them into something better than I expected. That's my opinion and I'm proud for my dogs.

By the way I do not understand crating any dog.... Bit of a waste of time...

Just as Ausis think bucking a horse vs sacking is the better way to go.

Hmmm Hey PM me.... Honest.

Dirty Nails
07-17-2010, 00:17
OK, Mr. Owl, let me try to be clear. I meant "too late" as in after the dog has soiled the house.
I respect and commend your efforts to save dogs that may otherwise be destroyed. I fully understand that most "death row dogs" are there because of owners that just don't get it.
After all, any of us that takes their dog hiking is, at the very least, spending time with it and showing involvement. That's far more than the average owner, I think.
If you don't see the value of crating a dog, refer to one of the books I mentioned for an explaination.
I will not debate training methods. Again, my intent is to recommend good reading material by qualified, educated professionals for you, thelowend, or anyone else who cares to investigate modern methods based on research and science. I do not propose to tell anyone their business, just consider a little reading!

SassyWindsor
07-19-2010, 23:20
I been awakened on several occasions by owners whistling and calling dogs that have become lost. If you won't leash your dog, will you at least self impose a 10pm to 6am curfew on calling the dog when it gets lost?

yari
08-29-2010, 11:39
I get tired of the constant debate of what is the "best" method for training a dog. I have had dogs that right out of the shelter were the most compliant and well behaved animals to the overconfident somewhat dog aggressive beast that I have now. Crating can be wonderful for some dogs, for others it is a source of frustration and anxiety. There is no one method that will work for all dogs. Alot of the only "positive reinforcement" methods are the exact wrong thing to do with some dogs (my current), and will work wonders with a different one. A firm consitstant correction for a dog that thinks he runs the world is necessary and the kindest thing you can do. You have to learn from your dog what will work "best" for him/her. The "best" method is the one that WORKS for your particular dog.

wirerat123
08-30-2010, 10:31
As someone who loves my dog, I feel that a leash is one of the precautions you should always take.

Sure some dogs are well behaved. But sometimes things happen. A deer could startle your dog and the dog may well just run off after the deer. A person could poke your dog with a hiking pole spurring the dog and you into defensive action. I know if someone poked my dog with a hiking pole, I'm poking them with mine in the most unpleasant place possible.

I'm just saying. Leash the dogs. It's a better safe than sorry thing. And it's not that big of a deal. If you've trained your dog well, then there should be no issues with the dog walking beside you on a leash. Just do it, for your sake, for the dogs sake, and for the other peoples sake. Some people get seriously distressed when they see a dog running freely.

It's people with attitudes like Highpointbounds that makes me want to unleash mine. But I prefer to keep my dog on leash. If someone want to approach my dog then they are more than welcomed, if not, that's fine too.

superman
08-30-2010, 21:29
It seemed to me that there were more dogs on the AT this year.:-?

Wise Old Owl
09-02-2010, 23:02
I get tired of the constant debate of what is the "best" method for training a dog. I have had dogs that right out of the shelter were the most compliant and well behaved animals to the overconfident somewhat dog aggressive beast that I have now. Crating can be wonderful for some dogs, for others it is a source of frustration and anxiety. There is no one method that will work for all dogs. Alot of the only "positive reinforcement" methods are the exact wrong thing to do with some dogs (my current), and will work wonders with a different one. A firm consitstant correction for a dog that thinks he runs the world is necessary and the kindest thing you can do. You have to learn from your dog what will work "best" for him/her. The "best" method is the one that WORKS for your particular dog.

Yari - dogs that pass the submissive test are the only ones put up again for adoption at the shelter. If they fail they are put down.

yari
09-06-2010, 14:08
Yari - dogs that pass the submissive test are the only ones put up again for adoption at the shelter. If they fail they are put down.

That's only some shelters. There is one here that doesn't test their dogs at all. Which is how my father ended up with one that bit my mother for walking too close to my dad. Besides, a submissive dog does not mean a well behaved dog.

LordoftheWings
02-12-2011, 22:25
A curfew? seriously?
@ Wise Old Owl-My dog was abused and literally cabled to a tree by her foot when a friend of mine at the shelter called me and told me her case. She was hyperactive, scared of her own shadow and seriously alpha around other dogs.
I trained her with Mr. Milan's training before he was ever on TV. It's just something I've always been good at. (I do love his work) My dog also has the peculiar trait of licking the carpet. I kept finding spots of wet and worn patches that I couldn't explain. I found out after leaving my camera on one of the spots, she would lick the carpet after i would leave because of anxiety. I made a habit of giving her a treat when I would leave (peanut butter inside a chewy) The licking stopped.

Awol1970
02-12-2011, 23:05
I trained her with Mr. Milan's training before he was ever on TV. It's just something I've always been good at. (I do love his work)....

Excellent thread Mr. W.O.O.

I agree with LOTW. Most puppies benefit from this kind of training if they need it or really most aspects of it whether they need it or not. Dog's personalities vary a ton. Just lik we are all peculiar, so are dogs. From the minute they are born, some dogs are just gonna be perfectly behaved right from 8 wks on. Likewise some dogs are just gonna be rotten without Ceasar like training. Some dogs are born to do an adventure like a thru. Some dogs (could be the first dogs bro/sis) are good for maybe 5 miles or perhaps just car camping. Who know? Maybe some dogs start complaining in their dogs head about even venturing outside for more than a half an hour.

Cesar's T.V. show deals with people who didn't have even an inkling about how to deal with a dog who isn't...hmm how do I say this... A BIT DENSE!!! when it comes to doggy manners. Cesar's tactics are what's perfect for these dogs who lack grace and finess.. There are a great deal of dogs out there who if they could watch cesar would say "duhhh I know my master is the pack leader. He feeds me and stuff and lets me have fun and want for nothing".

If a dog is perfect and can (and I'm sure there are a ton) walk 2100 miles or so without a leash and charm 97% of the people he/she encounters then to hell with the uptight 3%.

If your dog is less than perfect but willing to improve constantly (my IQ is probably lower than average :rolleyes: so I fall into this category) then you should probably leash it for most of the time. Dogs dislike the anxiety of being offleash in a stressful situation even more than we dislike our dog doing something embarrasing, be it rush a child, defend us when for some reason the person or persons approaching are Bigfootish in their eyes. I have no problems with a less than perfect dog being unleashed in my prescence. It's all a learning experience. That being said the instant that someone crys "Dog foul!!! I'm scared poo-less and I have a huge dog phobia!!! it is on the dogowners shoulders to solve the problem.:rolleyes:

SassyWindsor
02-12-2011, 23:30
When the Ceasar Millan method doesn't live up to expectations on the trail, the dog hiker can always fall back on the standard statement that I've personally have heard many times. It goes something like this "He (or she) has never done that before". To the credit of the dog hiker, an apology is usually offered if blood has been drawn.

The only training that a hiker requires, without a dog, is to stay outside the length of a leashed dog.

The dog hiker just needs to be trained to leash their dog, even if your name is Ceasar Millan, this will help eliminate most problems between parties.

LordoftheWings
02-12-2011, 23:49
If I decide to take my dog. She will nearly 100 % of the time be on the leash for these reasons.
1. She is a dog and dogs live in the now. I have no idea what she'll do when encountering wild animals (although I've trained her to attack people that show fear)
I would hate to have her injured or killed because I was too stubborn or proud to keep her on the leash. She could be attacked by a bear, shot by hunters for chasing a deer, kicked by a horse, bitten by a snake or stabbed by a scared hiker that should have turned in their Man Card a long time ago.

2. Liability- My dog plays with newborns and kids pull her tail and poke her eyes and she just takes it in stride. I would hate to have some dim-wit attack her and have her bite the jack@#$. The bills and attorney fees aren't worth it even if I do get to keep her alive afterward.

3. Continued growth and support of responsible dog ownership on the trail. It's better to be an ambassador of your cause than a bruised eye from my fist.

Awol1970
02-13-2011, 00:19
1. (although I've trained her to attack people that show fear)

Ok, you may be someone who falls into the category of people who dont REALLY need to be bringing your dog around on a hike. I guess i misread post two before this. And perhaps you neglected my post where I spoke of dogs who should be on or off leash.

Any dog who is "trained" to attack has NO business on a public trail. If you want a weapon buy a .38 If you feel the need to use a dog as a tool as far as personal defense then that is your right, but it shoud never be tolerated in public...much less a trail.

If a fellow hiker feels the need to stab your dog than I can assure you that 99.99/100 your dog needed stabbing.

I was bit by a dog @ 15. He was a trained attack dog who was doing a very effective job. He obviously would have never been an exemplary thru-hiker, or even a day hiker. Same with any dog (perhaps especially one who has been "trained to attack people who show fear") who has even thought about being kind of aggressive with stangers in the middle of the woods. INHO if a very stressful situation came up my dog (A big sweet "perfect dog" would exibhit concern and whining. She has been known to alert strangers if I wander off;). I would not like to saddle her with the responsibilty of guarding me. All dogs have those tendencies to some degree or another but the more limited the better. My responsibility is far greater than hers.

I am after all the pack leader.:rolleyes:

LordoftheWings
02-13-2011, 01:27
OK pack leader. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and guess you totally misread or misunderstood my posting. I understand sarcasm is hard to convey over the internet. I would kindly ask for you to reread my post with the understanding that I would never train a dog to be aggressive. I read the good SGT's request to keep debate out of the discussion and was trying to advocate owner responsibility and training to keep Dog lovers on the trail and lead by example to increase everyone's enjoyment of the trail. I'm sorry your childhood fears have stayed with you all this time and effect your judgement. I too was attacked by a dog. When I was 6. It wasn't the dogs fault. I tried to take food from a hungry, chained up wolf/husky mix that was abused. I had my right cheek torn off and had over 100 stitches from the inside out. I used that incident to learn from it. My father and I went to the library and we read about dogs and training. I now love and respect dogs more than ever. This had also made me more passionate about the responsible ownership, I hope this is where you heart lies too.

Awol1970
02-13-2011, 01:34
OK pack leader. I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and guess you totally misread or misunderstood my posting. I understand sarcasm is hard to convey over the internet. I would kindly ask for you to reread my post with the understanding that I would never train a dog to be aggressive. I read the good SGT's request to keep debate out of the discussion and was trying to advocate owner responsibility and training to keep Dog lovers on the trail and lead by example to increase everyone's enjoyment of the trail. I'm sorry your childhood fears have stayed with you all this time and effect your judgement. I too was attacked by a dog. When I was 6. It wasn't the dogs fault. I tried to take food from a hungry, chained up wolf/husky mix that was abused. I had my right cheek torn off and had over 100 stitches from the inside out. I used that incident to learn from it. My father and I went to the library and we read about dogs and training. I now love and respect dogs more than ever. This had also made me more passionate about the responsible ownership, I hope this is where you heart lies too.

Wow i guess i did miss the sarcasm... sorry dude. I mentioned the dog attack just to re-enforce where I was comming from. I only had 15 stitches but if i didn't have jeans on I would have lost my entire calf. It was a shepard who was guarding a farm. And it was totally my fault as well. It made me think about dogs and their behavior, and when I started raising pets I understood that my dogs would be pacifists. but enough of that.

I stand by all I posted though.

LordoftheWings
02-13-2011, 01:47
Understood. I despise the Michael Vicks of the world and would wish them a swift and just punishment worthy of their crime......insert your own punishment here.......
I will try to be more mindful of my sense or humor. I forget that none of you know me.

jody
02-13-2011, 01:51
The original post stated "the dog ran up to the woman", then went on to chastise the woman "for undoing 6 months of attack training"! First of all where is the womans rights? The dog ran up to her, so that tells me it was in her personal space! Second, how is she to know, when she saw it wasnt going to attack her and she pet it, that she wasnt supposed to?? I think you all are giving rights of the dogs way more consideration than people on the trail!! Also if a dog runs up at me aggressively on the trial and "I poke him with my walking stick", the first person who tries to retaliate is going to wish they hadnt!! Leash the dogs!!!

LordoftheWings
02-13-2011, 02:08
Forgive me Jodi if I'm wrong. But, Before you go poking anyone's dog, I think humor and sarcasm might have been used there.

Deb
02-13-2011, 12:44
If I decide to take my dog. She will nearly 100 % of the time be on the leash for these reasons.
1. She is a dog and dogs live in the now. I have no idea what she'll do when encountering wild animals (although I've trained her to attack people that show fear)

You're new here. In a dog thread, it's best not to say things like this if you don't mean them. People won't react kindly. If you're saying it sarcastically, it's best to use an emoticon to convey your intention. No emoticon = people will take your statement at face value, as I did.

Either way, welcome to the forum.

Sarcasm the elf
02-13-2011, 15:10
Sometimes psychology of dogs and owners isn't enough to keep this show interesting. On a same note, I too got burned out on what was my favorite forum here on WB because of too many posts of "leashes." ...

...Weigh in!

...LEASH!

leash your dogs?????

LEASH THE DOG OR KEEP IT HOME!

...leash screamers like highpointbound are infinitely more offensive than an off-leash dog...

Bark! Bark! Woof!

...If you won't leash your dog...

As someone who loves my dog, I feel that a leash is one of the precautions you should always take....

...Leash the dogs...

If I decide to take my dog. She will nearly 100 % of the time be on the leash...

...Leash the dogs!!!

W.O.O. while I commend your efforts to post a dog thread about the benefits of non-dog owners understanding body language, I think it is time to resign ourselves that no matter what, every dog thread will eventually be hijacked into a series of "leash" rants.

Now on the the original subject: Regardless if it is right or wrong to have a dog off leash (and all debate on this point aside), I think the consensus is that every hiker is going to be greeted/confronted by unleashed dogs on their trip.

I would suggest that all hikers at least learn a bit about dog behavior and dog body language, those that do will find it very useful both on and off the trail. Dogs convey their emotions and feelings through both body language and barking (both if they bark, and what kind of bark it is), once a person understands a few basic indicators it's easy to tell whether the dog is a threat or just trying to say hello. Once again I am NOT saying it is your job to deal with other people's dogs running up to you, I just think that it is likely it will happen and knowing how to tell what the dog is up to will give you some peace of mind YMMV.

Please also remember that when you run into an unleashed dog, especially on the weekends, there is a good chance that it belongs to a local who is on a day hike. Please be courteous to the extent it is possible (even if they are in the wrong), in the long run pissing off the locals just ends up hurting the backpacking community as a whole.

Finally, since I'm sure I will have to post this later if I don't say it now. Yes, my dog is always on a leash when she is on the A.T., I even step to the side to give other hikers the right of way:sun

Red Beard
02-13-2011, 17:16
The old methods like if a dog soils your house and you if you discover it quickly and push the nose in it and then put the dog outside still works, but then you have to trail the dog to make a noise to be let out.

I have a bell hanging on the back door. Whenever my dog needs to go out, she nudges it with her nose. I give her a treat, she does her business, and everybody is happy.

vamelungeon
02-13-2011, 18:59
I have a bell hanging on the back door. Whenever my dog needs to go out, she nudges it with her nose. I give her a treat, she does her business, and everybody is happy.
My dog comes up to me, looks me in the eye, paws my leg and barks. The only other time he does that is if he needs to borrow money.

LordoftheWings
02-14-2011, 00:20
@ Sarcasm. Thanks. Being new to the entire lifestyle of hiking and the obviously varied people in it, I find nothing more shocking (seriously) than this huge division about dogs?

I too commend W.O.O. for trying to endorse education. I'm obviously a dog lover and I've had reasons to fear and loath dogs. But I chose to take W.O.O.'s route.

Learning the dogs body language and basic social structure has helped me tremendously over the years, especially being a FF/EMT. I worked in New Orleans after Katrina and Dozens of Hurricanes in Florida. The resounding similarity? All of my co-workers ALWAYS called me to deal with the dogs. It's a life skill that every hiker/person should learn.

LordoftheWings
02-14-2011, 00:22
@ Deb- I have already stated that would try to be conscious of my humor and sarcasm.
I will always state my mind:)

Sarcasm the elf
02-14-2011, 22:25
@ Sarcasm. Thanks. Being new to the entire lifestyle of hiking and the obviously varied people in it, I find nothing more shocking (seriously) than this huge division about dogs?

I too commend W.O.O. for trying to endorse education. I'm obviously a dog lover and I've had reasons to fear and loath dogs. But I chose to take W.O.O.'s route.

Learning the dogs body language and basic social structure has helped me tremendously over the years, especially being a FF/EMT. I worked in New Orleans after Katrina and Dozens of Hurricanes in Florida. The resounding similarity? All of my co-workers ALWAYS called me to deal with the dogs. It's a life skill that every hiker/person should learn.

Hi L.O.T.W. and welcome to WB. Since you mention it, mostly this is a friendly bunch here on the site, but it is funny that a few subjects seem to set people off. Ask any question about hiking with dogs, carrying guns , bear spray or (oddly enough) hiking poles and a few other subjects and you'll get lots of impassioned answers from all sides.

Also, I saw that you had mentioned the possibility of hiking with your dog. I am by no means a thru hiker, but there are a number of threads on this site about the challenges of long distance hiking with your dog that you should search for and read through before considering this as an option. Hiking with your dog is rewarding, but there are a lot of challenges to bringing one on a long distance hike that you should be aware of before make a decision .

SassyWindsor
02-14-2011, 22:46
Good suggestion Elf. It's almost like telling a newby, to start a long distance hike with broken-in footwear. But, the new boots look and smell so good, they feel great on my feet. Then they start out and we know the rest of the story. I hate to see lost pets, roaming the trail, checking everybody out to see if they are their master. We hear hikers calling in vain for their dog, because it has chased after something and can no longer be found. We see the "Lost" posters at trail-heads placed by someone who didn't know better, or didn't know their dog. The blisters caused by new footwear is nothing compared to the hurt of losing a loved one. Keep the dogs leashed.

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2011, 22:54
Please keep in mind someone pulled up a year old thread... anew. And yes many dog threads spiral into "leash your dog" & on a stranger note - how do you folks miss each others sarcasm?

FYI when I was 13-14 I was trampled by a horse, and bitten by a retired police dog...

I am still pro dog/horse and I just love well trained animals.

Sarcasm the elf
02-14-2011, 23:21
FYI when I was 13-14 I was trampled by a horse, and bitten by a retired police dog...

Wow, it all happened at the same time? :D

WILLIAM HAYES
02-15-2011, 21:09
leave bow wow at home-nothing is worse then an ill behaved smelly dog on a wet day hanging around a shelter and crapping where ever and when ever they feel the urge it is inconsiderate to other hikers

LordoftheWings
02-17-2011, 01:49
@ sarcasm, my personality leads me to debate and play devil's advocate sometimes. I enjoy a good objective conversation. As will all forums, people tend to get defensive and tunnel-visioned about things they are passionate about.

I am barely capable of getting myself to Springer Mountain with all the proper gear for myself. I wouldn't even think of taking my beloved dog with me until I actually become proficient in hiking myself.

W.O.O. I'm glad you made it through your traumas and haven't climbed a water tower with a sniper rifle.

I certainly can't wait to see all the well trained and taken care of dogs on the trail.