PDA

View Full Version : book recommendations?

akblue
02-14-2010, 12:48
Hi there! My husband and I are attempting a thru hike in early march and are both avid readers. I know local wisdom is that books are unnecessary weight but I really cant imagine not having at least 1 book with me. Does anyone have any favorite books to read while hiking?

emerald
02-14-2010, 12:57
The best book you can carry is linked at the bottom of each of my posts. Bring the appropriate ATC maps to use with it.

JonnyWalker
02-14-2010, 13:11
After being deprived of most forms of entertainment(except hiking itself) I find that I can get into just about any book on the trail. One really rainy day in SNP I sat in my tent and read about 200 pages of A Game of Thrones untill the rain finally died off. I find it a lot easier to get involved in a book when all forms of distraction are taken away.

Mrs Baggins
02-14-2010, 13:23
I had contemplated taking my big thick (paper back) edition of Lord of the Rings. I figured I could just tear out pages as I read them to make the book lighter and lighter. But I just could not deface a book, for any reason, so I didn't take it. I read it every year and love how it's getting worn and soft from regular handling.

Jack - Straw
02-14-2010, 13:41
I brought a copy of Catcher in the Rye. As I read the book I used the pages as fire starter.

I read close to every book available on the AT prior to my hike, it was nice reading a "classic" while out there...

Maybe bring a book that was required reading while you were in school, see how much more you get out of it in the solitude of the woods..

Jack Straw

Mountain Wildman
02-14-2010, 13:49
The Holy Bible

Monster13
02-14-2010, 15:03
If it's worth the extra effort to keep it dry I could see an ereader (kindle or sony ereader, etc) being useful to you. It's a lot lighter than a book, and it'll carry a lot more than just one book. :) You'd also have to figure how long it will stay charged, how long it takes to charge, and where you're going to charge it at. I just wanted to put the idea out there. I figure if you're really that desperate to read, it'll be worth the work and weight.

BrianLe
02-14-2010, 15:56
I found that I didn't read much at all on an actual thru-hike --- didn't seem like that much time at the end of a full day of hiking, plus I was often around other people to socialize with. And that was on the PCT. What was handy was audiobooks on an MP3 player, but for when walking alone and on boring sections, not so much while sitting in camp, though of course a person could relax and listen instead of read there too I guess.

About the only times I recall reading at all would be down time in a trail town when no one else I knew was around. eBooks on my Smartphone worked will for that.

akblue
02-14-2010, 16:58
Thanks for the suggestions!

Karrmer
02-14-2010, 17:16
After being deprived of most forms of entertainment(except hiking itself) I find that I can get into just about any book on the trail. One really rainy day in SNP I sat in my tent and read about 200 pages of A Game of Thrones untill the rain finally died off. I find it a lot easier to get involved in a book when all forms of distraction are taken away.

That is probably the best fantasy series ever created.

Anyone even mildly interested in fantasy (Lord of the Rings, etc) needs to read A Game of Thrones (and the entire Song of Ice and Fire series)

Marta
02-14-2010, 18:40
I read the Lord of the Rings series, and quite a few books of Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. And misc. other books I picked up one place or another. I spent some time reading every day and wouldn't consider setting off on a backpacking trip of any length without some interesting printed matter in my pack.

The Solemates
02-14-2010, 19:30
I often carry 3 books with me while i hike: a guidebook, the bible, and a nonfiction.

Spirit Walker
02-14-2010, 20:09
I find that at the beginning of a long hike, I don't read a lot. As my body gets used to the hiking I have more energy at the end of the day so I'm more likely to spend time reading. On the AT, at the beginning of the hike you also are usually surrounded by people who are interesting to meet and get to know. When days get long, then there's more time to read.

That said, I always carry a book. On my first long hike, I intended to read 'great literature' - so I packed a bunch of classics in my resupply boxes. I found for the most part they didn't hold my interest all that well. I liked ones that were outdoor oriented, like Isabella Bird or Francis Parkman, but couldn't get into Russian drama at all. When I was reading a bit more, I wanted escape - light reading that would take me far away. On the trail so much of the focus is on the trail itself, the guidebook or thruhiker guide, today's hike and tomorrow's, I found I wanted something different, especially after a few months. So I read John Grisham, Tolkein, Asimov, Dick Francis, Sue Grafton, etc. Whatever I could find.

Books can sometimes be hard to find on the trail, so I sometimes ended up reading books I'd never heard about because they were left behind at a hostel. If the town has a library, there may be a book sale shelf with good paperbacks. If there's a good grocery you may be able to find current best sellers. Otherwise, you're limited to what others leave behind.

Blissful
02-14-2010, 20:19
You find plenty of books at shelters

Blissful
02-14-2010, 20:22
Hi there! My husband and I are attempting a thru hike in early march and are both avid readers. I know local wisdom is that books are unnecessary weight but I really cant imagine not having at least 1 book with me. Does anyone have any favorite books to read while hiking?

Hey if you want any Christian romance let me know I have some paperback size ones I've written. :) Perfect for your pack ;)

Turtle Feet
02-14-2010, 20:41
I read mostly non-fiction, but a couple of books I've read while hiking are Peter Mayle's, A Year in Provence and Encore Provence. Both hilarious.

I have a Kindle now, but I'm pretty sure I won't be bringing it on the trail - for one thing, it doesn't have a back-light (what WERE they thinking???), and I don't want to have to worry about cracked screens, dampess, theft, ect.

I tend to sit with little paperback sudoku puzzle books.

wvgrinder
02-14-2010, 22:29
I'll be hiking from SNP to Katahdin in 2011. These are 3 books I will be mailing to myself for sure:

Teachings On Love-Thich Nhat Hahn
Celebration Of Discipline-Richard Foster
The Holy Bible-various authors

Spirit Walker
02-14-2010, 23:03
You find plenty of books at shelters

What I remember is a lot of half books. People would start a book and leave half of it in a shelter. If you were lucky, you might find the other half. But that didn't always happen.

Marta
02-15-2010, 07:45
Dick Francis died yesterday.:(

Rain Man
02-15-2010, 13:22
Maybe bring a book that was required reading while you were in school, see how much more you get out of it in the solitude of the woods.

BINGO!!! Couldn't agree more.

Rain:sunMan

SKessler
02-15-2010, 13:32
Gideon Bible. Extremely small and lightweight and packed with a wonderful message.

steve43
02-15-2010, 19:31
the miracle of mindfulness by thich nhat hanh.... a little more than 100 pages that had a profound effect on my life.

fifo

Feral Bill
02-15-2010, 20:59
Surprizingly, I find Shakespeare goes well in the woods. Othello, MacBeth, whatever.

Bhag
02-16-2010, 01:05
On my next stroll I plan on bringing along some Vonnegut in case I haven't gotten my daily dose of satire.

fredmugs
02-16-2010, 07:26

I thought that too until I brought a book written by Dan Brown. The only thing I have ever read that was more painful is Moby Dick.

wvgrinder
02-16-2010, 14:31
"Nod If You Can Hear Me: Living with a Human Vegetable" is a good read.

02-16-2010, 19:51
I picked up "the peaceful warrior" at NOC, it was relaxing to read at night with one led light. The spring nights are long and I only sleep 4 hours a night so audio books and real books. I did follow one book a chapter at a time left at each shelter starting after damascus, the lost boys, it was good, then turned out bad!

RGB
02-17-2010, 07:48
If you want to read a great series about an adventure/journey (since you'll be on one) I recommend The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Great, great writing. Then there's the given, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, The Simarillion...

I like classics too like Crime and Punishment, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, All Quiet on the Western Front, The Great Gatsby, etc...

fiddlehead
02-17-2010, 08:13
Why not read a book about the area you are traveling through.

Whether it be fiction or non-fiction, you will still most likely learn about local history, or geography or culture at least.

Use your journey to learn about as much as you can while out there.

SOBO's can start with Thoreau's "Katahdin", NOBO'ers James Dickey or Margaret Mitchell.

Personally, if I take a book, I keep it small and profound. Books that say things that make you think a lot. It doesn't take me long to fall asleep when reading so, I rarely read more than a page or two each time I find the time to read. I'd rather be out enjoying the sunset or the wildlife that's moving that time of day.

Hatfield
02-17-2010, 13:18
the holy bible
the good book

Press
02-17-2010, 20:36
I may have posted this before but all walkers/hikers who love to read may enjoy the books of Patrick Leigh Fermor, who walked/hiked/hitched across Europe just before WWII. His writing, about a world that's mostly gone now, is just so vivid and interesting. A Time of Gifts, http://www.nybooks.com/shop/product?usca_p=t&product_id=4819