PDA

View Full Version : Is trail-culture inevitable?

Spot In The Sky
02-14-2010, 14:43
If Im going solo SoBo, will I inevitably find myself with other people and exposed to trail life/culture or do some SoBo'ers find themselves a lone at most locations? I understand there will be a period where SoBo and NoBo cross paths.

Maddog
02-14-2010, 14:47
If Im going solo SoBo, will I inevitably find myself with other people and exposed to trail life/culture or do some SoBo'ers find themselves a lone at most locations? I understand there will be a period where SoBo and NoBo cross paths.

i think you answered your own question!:D

mountain squid
02-14-2010, 15:08
Impossible to answer. By the time SOBOs get down here, I've seen them solo and I've seen them in a group. No way to know until you get out there. Obviously there are much fewer SOBOs, so even if you do find someone to hike with, if for whatever reason they get off the trail, finding someone else to hike with might be difficult.

If you haven't done so already, send some PMs to the other hikers on the list (http://www.whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=2010thruhikers) starting near you.

Also, don't forget to make reservations for Katahdin Stream CG (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/hiking/thru-hiking.html).

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Spirit Walker
02-14-2010, 20:16
Partly it depends on when you're leaving. If you start later, you'll have a more solitary hike. I've met solo SOBO hikers in november and december. If that's what you want, then go for it.

My question though is why you want to avoid trail culture? What makes the AT great is the people. Otherwise it's just a long green tunnel, rocky, rooty and wet. It's the community that makes the trail experience the fantastic thing it is.

Blissful
02-14-2010, 20:31
Likely you will find SOBOs to hook up with. The ones I saw on my hike NOBO were hooked up with others. But it does depend on your start.

Spot In The Sky
02-15-2010, 08:51
Partly it depends on when you're leaving. If you start later, you'll have a more solitary hike. I've met solo SOBO hikers in november and december. If that's what you want, then go for it.

My question though is why you want to avoid trail culture? What makes the AT great is the people. Otherwise it's just a long green tunnel, rocky, rooty and wet. It's the community that makes the trail experience the fantastic thing it is.

Its the opposite- i WANT to experience it- Im just afraid of doing it and getting to the end and being like- what was everyone talking about?? I have to go SOBO, Id just hate to miss all the awesome experiences people have from meeting others.

Lone Wolf
02-15-2010, 08:53
Its the opposite- i WANT to experience it- Im just afraid of doing it and getting to the end and being like- what was everyone talking about?? I have to go SOBO, Id just hate to miss all the awesome experiences people have from meeting others.

trust me. you'll have LOTS of great experiences going SOBO

wcgornto
02-15-2010, 09:38
I started SOBO on June 14 last year and hiked with plenty of other people. I went my own pace, so I passed some people and got passed by others. The further south I got, the more solitary i was. There were other SOBOs a few days ahead or behind me and I could have adjusted my pace to intentionally stay with a group.

Even when I was not around other SOBOs, there were usually day hikers, section hikers, etc. around. I had no more than around a dozen solo shelter nights.

With a late June start, you will pass most of the NOBOs in New Hampshire and VT. You may still see a NOBO group or two in Massachusetts, but no more after that.

I had plenty of great experiences in towns and with other hikers.