PDA

View Full Version : Many thanks to the Trail Maintainers All

JimSproul
09-23-2004, 20:32
I live in Dallas and hike mostly in Texas or out west in New Mexico and Colorado. I had two occasions to hike the AT in Georgia this year, in March and in July. Out west many trails are graded for stock as well as hikers, it keeps the grade gentle but not easy. Seein’ as how we have more land and less oxygen in the mountains, the trails tend to use a lot more switchbacks. But the AT sure was in good shape for all the load it carries! That can only happen through the hard work of all you saintly trail maintainers.

In July there were a bunch of blow downs and I bet there are even more after Charlie and Ivan had their fun. I would be surprised if you folks haven’t already been to work. I want you to know that you do a grand thing keeping “Our Trail” alive and well.

When hiking out west you always have to keep a map / compass and maybe a GPS handy to make sure you end up where you plan. What a pure joy it was to follow those white blazes! It was pretty hot the July day that I hiked up Sassafras Mountain. Those little white stripes were like notes from a friend farther up the trail. They seemed to say “You are the right path, not far now!”

Thanks again for all your hard work. I will get back to the AT next spring. Maybe one day I will get to see ALL those blazes ;)

LionKing
09-25-2004, 22:17
I'll drink to that.:cool::clap