PDA

View Full Version : Hostels and hiker boxes

John B
02-14-2010, 17:32
I've read in other threads that some hikers want to save money by utilizing hiker boxes in hostels for unwanted/discarded food.

I've never done that and never will, but it made me wonder if a hiker wouldn't first need to check into a hostel (i.e. pay for a night's stay) and then utilize a hiker box? Most of the hostels I've stayed in charge a minimum of $15 (excluding tip), so wouldn't it be all but impossible to save significant money by relying on hiker boxes?

Do people just do into a hostel, take from a hiker box, and leave without checking in? I'd think that definitely wouldn't be cool, but maybe I'm missing something.

Lone Wolf
02-14-2010, 17:38
I've read in other threads that some hikers want to save money by utilizing hiker boxes in hostels for unwanted/discarded food.

I've never done that and never will, but it made me wonder if a hiker wouldn't first need to check into a hostel (i.e. pay for a night's stay) and then utilize a hiker box? Most of the hostels I've stayed in charge a minimum of $15 (excluding tip), so wouldn't it be all but impossible to save significant money by relying on hiker boxes?

Do people just do into a hostel, take from a hiker box, and leave without checking in? I'd think that definitely wouldn't be cool, but maybe I'm missing something.

i know here in Damascus hikers go into the 3 hostels and rifle through the hiker boxes without paying to stay. and a lot of them don't pay at "The Place" because there's nobody there to actually collect the money. the honor system does not work on the AT

Cool AT Breeze
02-14-2010, 17:38
Happens all the time. We even have a regular that will drive in an clean it out. We find out when he's in the area and hide the good stuff.

Jeff
02-14-2010, 17:49
It's a "Hiker Box". I take that to mean the contents are available to any and all hikers.

Cool AT Breeze
02-14-2010, 17:54
It's free to anyone.

Pacific Tortuga
02-14-2010, 18:00
i know here in Damascus hikers go into the 3 hostels and rifle through the hiker boxes without paying to stay. and a lot of them don't pay at "The Place" because there's nobody there to actually collect the money. the honor system does not work on the AT

I also saw non-hikers of that year doing the same thing. First it ticked me off, then I thought, they may be broke and hungry.
One has to do what they can to make it, I got over it, fast.

Frosty
02-14-2010, 18:00
I've never done that and never willWhy not? .

Pacific Tortuga
02-14-2010, 18:04
Why not? .

bet if he saw a candy bar, that train of thought would change.

white_russian
02-14-2010, 18:13
Most of the hostels I've stayed in charge a minimum of $15 (excluding tip), so wouldn't it be all but impossible to save significant money by relying on hiker boxes?
Tipping at a hostel?

solace
02-14-2010, 18:29
LoneWolf hit it off... true, that most hiker boxes serve too many who hike the "ultra-cheap hike". Those boxes were designed to be a give & take or/ a take as needed system... Ive put in & taken out, or just added extra stuff/ food i didnt need. And, tipping at a hostel is welcomed i think. Its not necessary, but a hostel still provides a "service", and if that hostel or caretaker goes above & beyond with excellent service, i usually offer a few dollars. Its a nice gesture.

Lostone
02-14-2010, 18:32
I can see locals getting used to abusing the hiker box.

I don't have a problem with people who happen to live locally and are hungry using it to help get by.

The first thing that bothers me about someone driving up to raid the hiker box is the fact they have enough money to own and drive a car. That right there is a disqualifying factor in my book.

I will say he is just a cheap SOB.

I have looked thru hiker boxes and even left some surplus behind, never have I taken anything.

Ramble~On
02-14-2010, 18:43
When I put something in a hiker box it is with the hope of helping someone who really needs it. I know of many folks who wouldn't have finished without the help of others and hiker boxes helped them stretch out the miles and their money. Hiker boxes can be amazing! It never fails to amaze what people will toss in them. Those who resupply either with a maildrop or at the store often end up with more than they need or want to carry. Hiker boxes are great in that they are a way to share what you don't want or need and help out those that realy need! I know of someone that never had to buy fuel for their stove as they were able to get it from hiker boxes for the eentire trail. As for those not staying at the hostel, many people don't and simply stop to resupply, shower, laundry or whatever and then move on. The way I see it is if you need something and find it in a hiker box....it was put there for you! Take it. Happy Trails.

Jester2000
02-14-2010, 18:51
I don't think the contents of a hiker box belong to a hostel owner any more than they belong to the people who discarded the food/gear/clothing/etc.

And once I get rid of something I don't want in a hiker box, I don't particularly care who uses it, as long as somebody does.

There are Post Offices that have hiker boxes -- one isn't required to mail something in order to take from them. ATC doesn't require anyone to buy something from them in order to go through theirs, nor do any of the Oufitters require a purchase to do so, as far as I'm aware.

If access to the hiker box is considered a part of the services paid for when staying at a hostel, the hostel should make that clear. But I've never known that to be the case. I'm not quite sure why anyone should care who uses the contents of a hiker box. Why is it important?

Hyway
02-14-2010, 19:03
Hiker boxes are essentially upscale trashcans. Pick threw them as you please because the only person who can lay claim to them is the person thet will eventually have to throw away the remainder.

ShakeyLeggs
02-14-2010, 19:08
I have used the hiker boxes on occasion myself. As to who owns them I feel the hikers own them that is what they are there for. I have been know to purchase things to put in the box at the ATC center in Boiling Springs. I have bought fuel canisters, and miscellaneous hiker type foods just for the purpose of placing in the box.

johnnybgood
02-14-2010, 19:34
The contents of a "Hiker Box" should be for hikers , not for those whose mission in life is to sponge off everyone else. How can someone driving to a hostel to raid food meant for hikers be given a free pass. As mentioned previously , the hiker boxes are there for the purpose of hikers helping fellow hikers .

dmax
02-14-2010, 22:31
The hiker boxes are for everybody. But usually the only people who use them are people who need something. The well off and well to do people have the money for everything they need. And I've found that they are the ones leaving items in a box. So if you need something, take it. Thats what its there for. And if a hostel owner tells you you can't have something in a box if you don't stay the night, Tell them to go *%^*%!!! Or have the box posted in such a manner so everybody knows. That way the person giving has a choice in their generousity.....I have also seen a hostel owner take things out of a hiker box. Bad, Bad, Bad!!! He did this just so people would have to buy stuff out of his little store. He was caught red handed when I was there and the hikers sure let him know how they felt about it. The sad thing was is that he did it the next day.:(

Cool AT Breeze
02-14-2010, 22:43
Ok I guess our hiker box is a little different during through hiker season. Its one of the first, some people don't even know what it is. one hiker last year got up kind of late and asked where his food was. When we asked where he left it he said in that box. I told him his food was about to Hogpen Gap by now. some times it gets so full we have to put stuff in other boxes till it goes down. We even have one box for food and one for gear.

Blissful
02-14-2010, 22:48
Honestly I've seen mostly junk in them no one would use or too heavy to cart around. The best box I saw was at Elkwallow in SNP. Good stuff (but no one there to take anything). Saw a pair of crocs at Hiawasee - they didn't last long.

Blissful
02-14-2010, 22:49
one hiker last year got up kind of late and asked where his food was. When we asked where he left it he said in that box. I told him his food was about to Hogpen Gap by now.

I know it wasn't funny for the hiker, but that's a pretty funny story. :p

dmax
02-14-2010, 22:51
Does Hot Springs still have theirs sitting in the middle of town?

Cool AT Breeze
02-14-2010, 22:52
We tried to name him Hiker Box but he didn't want it. We also gave him a bunch of food before he left.

Rockhound
02-14-2010, 22:55
for those new to the A.T. These hiker boxes of which we speak is free food or gear to anyone who wants it. You can usually find these "hiker boxes" hanging near shelters on what are called bear cables. They are called bear cables because there is so much free stuff you can hardly bear it.

Blissful
02-14-2010, 22:59
We tried to name him Hiker Box but he didn't want it. We also gave him a bunch of food before he left.

That would have been a great trail name. Too bad.

Blissful
02-14-2010, 23:00
They are called bear cables because there is so much free stuff you can hardly bear it.

..nor do you usually want it either...

fiddlehead
02-14-2010, 23:01
I've put into hiker boxes with the intentions that hopefully someone will want my unwanted things.

If not, I don't care.

Has it ever bothered me that someone rifles the hiker boxes? No! Not that I can remember.

I have a T-shirt that i found in the Damascus hiker box in '89. I still think back to that year everytime i see that shirt. I could care less if someone thinks i didn't deserve to take that shirt.

Does it bother people when someone dumpster dives?
It never has me except perhaps that they were smarter than me.

Blissful
02-14-2010, 23:04
Does it bother people when someone dumpster dives?
It never has me except perhaps that they were smarter than me.

I got Tyvek from a dumpster...
You can get some great finds. Some people leave interesting trash too around here at the end of their driveway for people to look at. No joke.

Hyway
02-15-2010, 00:13
Back in '05 when I sectioned hike Georgia I used some stuff from the box at the hostel Neels Gap. Someone left the large canister of gas, and I took that. My buddy used a pair of brand new sneakers he found in the box for town shoes, then when we hiked out he put them back in the box. The food in the box was overflowing, but most of it was mystery meals.

At the Hiawassee Holiday Inn someone left a big tub of boot waterproofing. I globbed it all over my boots and dropped the rest back in the box. Lot of food there, but again, mystery food.

Lilred
02-15-2010, 00:28
At the Dutch Haus, the owners were putting things in the hiker box. I was going to buy some pasta meals from them, and when I went to get them, I was told they were in the hiker box. I offered to pay, but they wouldn't hear of it. Great people.

prain4u
02-15-2010, 07:42
Hiker boxes are a great thing. CERTAINLY no hard and fast rules need to exist. We should not judge other people's circumstances. If someone needs food, or simply wants something from the hiker boxes, they should be entitled to take food from the boxes--no questions asked. However, I think some common courtesies (or "guiding principles") should probably exist:

1. If you are going to take things OUT of hiker boxes--you should try to periodically put stuff IN hiker boxes. Hopefully, over a period of time, you will eventually put as much stuff into the boxes as you take out. (Sometimes, it may even take several years for that "giving back" to start. Do it when you can).

2. Don't hog all of the good stuff. (Think of other people. The box isn't just for you!). Learn to share!

3. Don't empty the entire box. Save some stuff for the person coming behind you who might be worse off than you. (Maybe the next person is really low on cash and critters made off with all of his/her food. Save some stuff for them! Next time, you might be the person in need--and you wouldn't want that next hiker box to be empty!).

BOTTOM LINE: Think of other people (and their needs) and be givers as well as takers.

peakbagger
02-15-2010, 08:26
My lone comment is that granted if someone is hungry enough they will take anything, but many hiker boxes I encountered were in serious need of cleaning out on occasion. There just didnt seem to be a big demand for ziplock bags leaking unidentified food out of holes gnawed in by mice.

StarLyte
02-15-2010, 08:38
Happens all the time. We even have a regular that will drive in an clean it out. We find out when he's in the area and hide the good stuff.

Well that's rude. I think I'd put a big ol mouse trap in that box.

Rockhound
02-15-2010, 08:44
My lone comment is that granted if someone is hungry enough they will take anything, but many hiker boxes I encountered were in serious need of cleaning out on occasion. There just didnt seem to be a big demand for ziplock bags leaking unidentified food out of holes gnawed in by mice.
Great point. And do not leave it up to the caretaker. Cant tell how often I've seen things in hiker boxes that were either 1) obviously trash nobody would ever use for any purpose. or 2) completely unidentifiable. "Is it foot powder ? Is it oatmeal?" "no, I think it's potatoes". Before you fluff up your ego by "donating" be sure to date your food and label it. Make sure it is sealed also. Honey leaking all over the bottom of the box is no fun. Also If it's trash throw it out. Nobody wants your used insoles.,

Tabasco
02-15-2010, 09:33
bet if he saw a candy bar, that train of thought would change.

Knowing John B, I would say your assessment of his thought processes are seriously flawed.

Jester2000
02-15-2010, 11:47
Ahhh, the white mystery powder. Note to everyone: if you're not going to mark what it is, just throw it out.

It never gets used if we don't know whether to put it in coffee, cook it, snort it, or rub it on our feet. It just end up all over the inside of the hiker box.

Panzer1
02-15-2010, 15:35
If the hiker box is located within a hostel, then I would think that only people who are customers at the hostel would have the legal right to enter the hostel to begin with. Meaning that if you don't have the right to enter the hostel in the first place how can you take something out of the hiker box?

Panzer

Appalachian Tater
02-15-2010, 22:34
Hiker boxes are lots of fun. I have gotten everything from freeze-dried ice cream to turkey spam, razors to a compass out of them. Hmm. Chap stick, lotion, Dr. Bronners, dried apricots, a nice windscreen for my stove. I have seen people get batteries, a nice pair of shorts, a lighter, fuel canisters, tent cord, Snickers (yes I'm telling the truth), socks, a knife, a water bladder. Why buy ramen in Harpers ferry if there are literally cases of the stuff in the ATC office?

On the other hand, to rely on hiker boxes to be able to eat is rolling dice.

Dogwood
02-16-2010, 00:32
As typical hiking and thru-hiking season will shortly be upon us I'm noticing an increasing number of prospective hikers, some of them long distance hikers, who give off that selfish it's all about me me me attitude. It reeks!

You know who you are!

Whether it be about debating or justifying the selfish raiding of hiker boxes or those that want to hike but haven't financially prepared for it it amounts to the same thing - those that have the motive to take take take - people who want things, including having a hiking experience, but aren't willing to merit it or who aren't prepared to contribute in meaningful prepared directed ways to obtaining their desires by constructive means. These are often the same folks who will stiff hostels that operate on donations, even when only a $10 or $15 donation is suggested, attempt to rely on hiker box food consistently even when doing a long hike when adequate time has allowed better smarter food planning for the hike, or they have the financial capability to buy food easily but still elect to raid hiker boxes instead of leaving it for someone less fortunate or, perhaps, for someone else who may find themselves needing emergency rations. These are often the people who don't fully comprehend the meaning of sharing, of giving. Gimme Gimme Gimme! Many of these same individuals are the same ones who find money for hotels, expensive restaurant meals, town stays, alcohol, and that bag of "green", but also raid hiker boxes instead of buying food. These are sometimes the same individuals who illegally camp, having a sense of entitlement and I'll do as I please attitude. They expect to illegally camp in the Whites or Smokies or on private land to avoid the laws or financial obligations that come with a hike. Sometimes, they seek to avoid permits or paying for a hiking permit. Then they justify and excuse their actions by complaining about meeting these obligations even though they often had plenty of time to prepare and organize their hikes. They sometimes steal and skip out on restaurant tabs, even though they know proprietors know they are hikers. In general, they give hiking a bad name. Don't be one of them.

If you are easily offended by what I'm saying then you may be one of these people. Fortunately, people acting like this while hiking are a minority.

Of course, hiker boxes are there for hikers. They are there to be shared. BUT, I ask? What does your heart tell you if you are planning on consistently raiding or relying on hiker box food or gear or whatever to supply your hike? What does you mind tell you? What is your motive in doing such a thing? When you do it, are you seeking to share? make it, however seemingly small, better for someone else?

Some of us are forgetting that everyone of us who hikes is joining a hiking community. And, that community includes all those that support hikers and who are effected by hiker behavior. There are many generous, kind hearted, helpful folks that support hikers. Some are other hikers. Some are not. The AT has such a strong supportive hiking community, but do you really want to abuse that generosity, kindness, and support? Think about that as you plan your hikes and while out hiking. The kindness and support that I received on the AT still blows me away to this day. It let me know how many great folks are out there. I know I want to be a part of that kind of group. I know I want to maintain and add to that generosity, kindness, level of support, and generally good vibe. I want to give back, in whatever way I can, even if it seems small, to the same community that helped support my hike. How about you? Whether we understand it, or not, accept it, or not, WE ARE ALL AMBASSADORS FOR THE HIKING COMMUNITY WHEN WE HIKE. When we hike we set the stage for those hikers that will follow after us. Do you want to contribute to this community in a positive way, somehow leaving it in a better place, maybe having the audacity of trying to make even the world a better place, or just keep the focus on you and your needs and your wants?

This is one of the wonderful things about hiking, especially thru-hiking. Even though much of it does center on the individual a hike DOES NOT MEAN ALL of the focus has to be on the individual. One gets the opportunity to positively contribute to many people during the course of a hike and, perhaps, even to make a life changing impact on others. A hike, especially a long distance hike, can assist one to take the focus off their ego, themselves, their problems, the toxic static of society, at least for a little while. It affords, at least some, the possibility to consider that someone or something greater than ourselves exists.

Sly, a Triple Crowner, said it so well, "A thru-hike isn't just about hiking!" It can be about so much more! CARPE DIEM!

fredmugs
02-16-2010, 07:45
Why not? .

As a section hiker I pretty much bring everything with me for my entire hike. I stay out of the hiker boxes and I also do not typically take stuff left by trail angels.

Lilred
02-16-2010, 10:15
Hiker boxes are for anyone who wants it. Who cares if a person is trying to hike the trail and supply his needs from hiker boxes. What business is it of anybody's?? HYOH and let others hike theirs.

I swear, some people need to get out and hike.

Dogwood, chill out!! This is a thread about hiker boxes, and anyone can take from a hiker box. They can take any or all of it.
And if they want to supply from every box, they can. Just cause YOU don't like it, doesn't make it wrong for someone else to do it. I've seen people resupply out of hiker boxes, and I say go for it. If you can get to Kathadin that way, go for it. Who are you to judge?

There's the next challenge. See who can get to Kathadin without buying any food at all, and resupplying only from hiker boxes. That would be COOL!!

And the added bonus would be watching other hikers get their knickers in a wad over it. LOLOLOL

Hyway
02-16-2010, 11:00
there seems to be a lot of rules involved in thruhiking. I guess that comes with the trail being civilized

JustaTouron
02-16-2010, 11:01
There's the next challenge. See who can get to Kathadin without buying any food at all, and resupplying only from hiker boxes. That would be COOL!!

No, it wouldn't be cool.

The hiker boxes, trail angels, and trail magic should be veiwed as pleasant surprises -- not a right or basis of supply.

While such an attitude towards hiker boxes is minor compared to not tippin or not being appreciative of trail angles it is just another angle on the entitled hiker mentality.

Check out the hiker boxes. And if you see something useful great you got a nice surprise. Not that if there isn't enough to resupply your needs a disappointment.

Don't expect picnicers to feed you. If one does it is nice surpise. If they don't it isn't a disapointment, it is normal that everyone byo to a picnic.

Offer all shuttle drivers, people who feed you or give you a place to stay fair compensation. If a shuttle driver refused you tip, consider that a gift. Don't begrudge a shuttle driver that wants gas money.

Lilred
02-16-2010, 11:10
Your examples are correct and good advice. BUT hiker boxes are for hikers to take what they want. Just cause you disagree with a person resupplying out of one, doesn't make it wrong to do. No one is getting stiffed. No one is walking out on a bill. No one is 'expecting' the trail magic. Those boxes are set up for people to take stuff out of it.

I think it's hilarious the way some people make up the rules.....

It is no ones business who takes what or how much out of a hiker's box.

I'm curious Touron, how many miles of the trail have you hiked? (watching Touron get his knickers in a wad)

Lone Wolf
02-16-2010, 11:20
hiker boxes are just trash cans. it's discarded stuff. anybody can take some or all of it. there are no rules

Two Speed
02-16-2010, 11:23
And if you do take the stuff in them then that stuff doesn't go to a landfill.

Win-win in my book.

On the couple of longer trips I've taken I got in the habit of making my grocery list and then checking the hiker box before heading to the grocery. If I found something I could use, great. If not no big deal.

Lilred
02-16-2010, 11:26
there seems to be a lot of rules involved in thruhiking. I guess that comes with the trail being civilized

No Hyway, there are just some people that think all hikers should think like they do. The only rules are LNT and be kind to others.

Jester2000
02-16-2010, 11:28

If there were rules, this kind of debate wouldn't be happening.

I, like Lilred, don't equate taking from hiker boxes with not donating to hostels, or not tipping. A hiker box is filled with abandoned items. A hiker can clean one out for all I care. As everyone else has suggested, the hiker boxes shouldn't really be relied on, so the only people who could get upset at a hiker box being empty are . . . yep, people relying on hiker boxes. Since the only people who would suffer from a hiker cleaning out a hiker box are people planning on doing the same thing, who cares?

Unlike the other examples given, using hiker boxes to resupply doesn't have anything to do with the reputation of the hiking community in towns. Personally, I think that planning to resupply out of hiker boxes is a bad plan, mainly because there might be someone with the same plan right ahead of you. Which makes them an unreliable source of resupply. But an unethical form of resupply? I don't see it.

Here's an interesting situation for those on whiteblaze who are the arbiters of who merits being on the trail, and what level of "contribution" makes one an acceptable hiker:

What if a hiker realizes that the only way they can donate at hostels and tip properly in restaurants is to resupply out of hiker boxes, eating food they don't particularly like. What if, instead of spending the money they do have on the demons alcohol and weed, they spend it as you would have them spend it, on tipping and hostels. And the reason they have the money to do that is because they're eating out of hiker boxes. Does that make them acceptable enough for you? And do you think they care?

Lone Wolf
02-16-2010, 11:30
i always take out the real good stuff at The Place on my many daily visits during hiker season. i throw out lots too.

Lilred
02-16-2010, 11:36
Let's see, if I ever thru hike, I think I'll blue blaze all the way, resupply only out of hiker boxes, set my tent up in shelters when no one else needs the space, and spend all my money on booze and weed. I'll bring my cell phone, mp3 player, a kindle and my dog.

Appalachian Tater
02-16-2010, 11:38
The hiker box at White House Landing has a rule: Only overnight guests are allowed to take things out of it. If you violate the rule and get caught, you might have to swim back across the lake or bushwhack around it.

It would be funny for a hiker to resupply only from hiker boxes and journal about it because I wonder what is in those cheap leaking sandwich bags with unidentifiable mixed legumes and grains or flakes or granules of different colors. Someone should take a few of those bags, mix them together, boil until soft, and then try to figure out what they're eating and write about it and then repeat until they've cleaned out every hiker box from Neels Gap to Monson including the dirty little raisins and peanuts that escaped their baggies.

Lilred
02-16-2010, 11:40
:D
The hiker box at White House Landing has a rule: Only overnight guests are allowed to take things out of it. If you violate the rule and get caught, you might have to swim back across the lake or bushwhack around it.

It would be funny for a hiker to resupply only from hiker boxes and journal about it because I wonder what is in those cheap leaking sandwich bags with unidentifiable mixed legumes and grains or flakes or granules of different colors. Someone should take a few of those bags, mix them together, boil until soft, and then try to figure out what they're eating and write about it and then repeat until they've cleaned out every hiker box from Neels Gap to Monson including the dirty little raisins and peanuts that escaped their baggies.

There's a trail journal I'd like to follow....:D

Two Speed
02-16-2010, 11:40
Let's see, if I ever thru hike . . . and my dog.Forgot to mention bringing a pistol. Oversight, I'm sure.

Lilred
02-16-2010, 11:42
Forgot to mention bringing a pistol. Oversight, I'm sure.

I thought we weren't supposed to tell.........;)

Two Speed
02-16-2010, 11:44
You know what would be really cool?

Finding a box of ammo for your pistol! That way you could shoot all the shelter mice and not run a massive expense for lead.

I gotta check those hiker boxes more often.

JustaTouron
02-16-2010, 11:45
I'm curious Touron, how many miles of the trail have you hiked? (watching Touron get his knickers in a wad)

Total hiking miles....don't know...don't count them.

Of the AT is a bit easier as it isn't where I normally hike....around 150.

Hyway
02-16-2010, 11:53
I was speaking tongue-in-cheek when I mentioned there were a lot of rules to thruhiking. heck, even LNT isn't a rule. It's just a good practice. Some of the LNT gestapo are just as bad as any other person who thinks they can set the rules for others. Actually, the only rules are those set up by the National Park Service, and the other owners of the trail.

prain4u
02-16-2010, 11:53
I would liken "hiker boxes" to those little "penny bowls" which are located near some cash registers.

If you have some coins that you do not want (especially pennies) you can toss them into the little bowl which located next to the cash register.

Conversely, if your total purchase comes to something like $8.01 or $10.02, you (or the clerk) might grab a penny or two out of the bowl to help pay for the purchase--instead of you breaking another entire dollar bill.

In the eyes of most people, it would be viewed as HIGHLY inappropriate if you grabbed some (or all) of the coins out of the bowl and put them in your own pocket--or if you used ONLY coins from the bowl to pay for your purchase. Such behavior would be considered especially inappropriate if you hadn't even bought anything at the store (and just walked in and grabbed the coins and left).

Please don't take all (or most) of the contents out of a hiker box--and please don't take all of the good things (when there are good things). Leave some stuff for other hikers. Definitely don't depend upon the hiker boxes to be one of your primary sources of supplies for your hike. In my opinion, people who do such things are just like the person who takes all of the coins out of that bowl near the cash register and puts them in their own pocket.

Please think of the needs of other hikers. Be mindful of effect of your actions upon the reputation of the rest of the hiker community. Your hike isn't just about you and your needs--you are part of a much larger "hiker community" (whether you want to be or not).

Two Speed
02-16-2010, 11:57
I would liken "hiker boxes" to those little "penny bowls" . . . (whether you want to be or not).I can name you one big difference: the penny bowl is usually near the cash register, so it's attended.

Seeing as almost all hiker boxes are unattended how are you going to tell if someone took "all the good stuff?"

Lilred
02-16-2010, 12:03
In the eyes of most people, it would be viewed as HIGHLY inappropriate if you grabbed some (or all) of the coins out of the bowl and put them in your own pocket--or if you used ONLY coins from the bowl to pay for your purchase. Such behavior would be considered especially inappropriate if you hadn't even bought anything at the store (and just walked in and grabbed the coins and left).

Once again, someone wants us to hike according to their rules. Your analogy doesn't apply. Hiker boxes are specifically set up for people to take stuff out of and put in their pockets (pack)

If there are any newbies reading this, you go ahead and take whatever you want out of a hiker box, whether it be some or all of it.
A good "general" rule of thumb when taking advice from people on this forum, check the number of posts they've made and their join date. The ones in the thousands or that have been here a few years are usually people who have been around and know what they're talking about. It is just a general rule, and not 100% accurate, but it is a good way of sorting through the b.s.

prain4u
02-16-2010, 12:06
Conversely, people can be around a long time--have many posts--and still set an example that you may not want to follow! :D

Rockhound
02-16-2010, 12:09
Let's see, if I ever thru hike, I think I'll blue blaze all the way, resupply only out of hiker boxes, set my tent up in shelters when no one else needs the space, and spend all my money on booze and weed. I'll bring my cell phone, mp3 player, a kindle and my dog.
Cool beans! Sounds like fun. Want a hiking partner?

Jester2000
02-16-2010, 12:21
For the "take a penny, leave a penny" analogy to work, someone would have to be throwing that money out if no one took it.

And the reason why the cup of change is there is understood by all -- it's to avoid getting lots of change back, which ties its presence to making purchases -- which is apparently not true of hiker boxes.

But the analogy does work in that it seems that people who waste energy fretting about what other people do with hiker boxes look at the hiker boxes that way.

Lilred
02-16-2010, 12:24
Conversely, people can be around a long time--have many posts--and still set an example that you may not want to follow! :D

I haven't seen Minnesota Smith in a long time.

Hence, the emphasis on the word 'general'.

Most times though, it's people who just talk the talk and haven't actually walked the walk that have all the 'rules' and want people to hike according to their standards.

I would say most people who have hiked a good amount of the AT, and again, I said most, not all, know what those hiker boxes are there for and know they are, as Lone Wolf so mentioned, garbage cans.

And yes, just as there are good things to be found in dumpsters, there are also good things to be found in hiker boxes. If you're lucky enough to find good stuff in a hiker box, take it, it's yours. There is no need to feel altruistic about leaving for the next hiker, that's just what some folks will say on a public forum to make themselves look good. No one on the trail is gonna know or care what or how much is taken.

Lilred
02-16-2010, 12:27
Cool beans! Sounds like fun. Want a hiking partner?

Sure, the more the merrier

Blissful
02-16-2010, 12:29
From the boxes I saw in '07 there was hardly anything worth stuffing into your pockets (or pack). I wouldn't worry about it. Its no big deal. Mountain out of a molehill.

Lilred
02-16-2010, 12:33
From the boxes I saw in '07 there was hardly anything worth stuffing into your pockets (or pack). I wouldn't worry about it. Its no big deal. Mountain out of a molehill.

Ya a mountain of white fluffy unknown stuff LOLOL

Saw a guy find a big ziploc of white flakes he was sure was mashed potato flakes. He got very excited until he opened it and found out it was laundry detergent.... LOL

Lone Wolf
02-16-2010, 12:39

Saw a guy find a big ziploc of white flakes he was sure was mashed potato flakes. He got very excited until he opened it and found out it was laundry detergent.... LOL

i throw that kind of stuff away every day at the hostel. also anything opened like peanut butter, honey, etc.

Jester2000
02-16-2010, 12:39
I put things in hiker boxes that I don't want to carry, which isn't exactly altruistic. Mainly it's a selfish act that has a potential for good consequences.

While on the PCT, we had debates regarding water caches that seem similar to this debate, but had more serious practical consequences, which may be why I don't really have a good grasp of the argument regarding hiker boxes.

The debate centered around this: if you already have water, but it's manky water you filtered out of a fire tank, and you get to a cache, is it okay to dump your gross water and take cache water?

Most of the people I heard having these discussions eventually came to think that you should keep your water, because someone else might need the water cache water, even though you're not supposed to rely on them. It's tempting to do it, but it shouldn't be done.

While there are similarities between the discussions, the differences here are pretty obvious. No one's going to die or even suffer physical distress because a hiker box is empty.

The only people who would suffer from an empty hiker box are the people doing what is being railed against -- relying on hiker boxes. And when that happens, they're in town.

People online like to get all philosophical with their musings on what people should or shouldn't do on trail. I have yet to see anyone post a good example of who is actually hurt by hiker boxes being raided, other than other people planning on raiding hiker boxes.

Blissful
02-16-2010, 12:40

Ha. :p Yeah tons of detergent in hiker boxes. I only had to use my own stuff once the entire hike from my bounce box. You learn.

What I definitely wouldn't ever take is someone's prepackaged meals, gorp, etc in ziplocs (I saw that in hiker boxes a lot too). You never know what could be in them or who or what has handled them. With presealed, you know what you're getting.

Lilred
02-16-2010, 12:44
i throw that kind of stuff away every day at the hostel. also anything opened like peanut butter, honey, etc.

It was at Kincora. The hiker Rainbow was resupplying out of hiker boxes and boy, you thought he had won the lottery. was too funny...

Here's a good example of how hikers who are on the trail feel about people who resupply out of hiker boxes. Other hikers were donating food they had to the box as Rainbow was going through it, just to see his eyes light up. hmmmm

GGS2
02-16-2010, 12:51
I wonder about dumping the bulk stuff that people leave, like honey, oil and stove fuel. I understand the argument against open containers, but this is an answer to a sticky resupply problem: You want just a little bit of something that only comes in bulk packages. I wonder if there is a better solution. The obvious one is stores that sell or give away small quantities of stuff from a bulk dispenser that is somewhat supervised. I can imagine someone maintaining such a dispenser from donated excesses as a service. But few people would have the spare time, space and attention to do this, I suppose.

Jester2000
02-16-2010, 13:03
I wonder about dumping the bulk stuff that people leave, like honey, oil and stove fuel. I understand the argument against open containers, but this is an answer to a sticky resupply problem: You want just a little bit of something that only comes in bulk packages. I wonder if there is a better solution. The obvious one is stores that sell or give away small quantities of stuff from a bulk dispenser that is somewhat supervised. I can imagine someone maintaining such a dispenser from donated excesses as a service. But few people would have the spare time, space and attention to do this, I suppose.

This is definitely one of the reasons things end up in hiker boxes. My store sells fuel and olive oil by the ounce, but there are lots of "bulk" itms -- toilet paper, honey, tea bags, etc. -- that people take what they need and put the rest in the box.

On the other hand, some people treat them like actual trash cans. The grossest thing I've found in one was a package of used Q-tips. Maybe those were meant to be used as firestarters . . .

Lilred
02-16-2010, 13:06
The grossest thing I've found in one was a package of used Q-tips. Maybe those were meant to be used as firestarters . . .

Hey, that's a multi use item!!!

Cool AT Breeze
02-16-2010, 13:07
For the most part I like to see hikers clean out our box. It's full again in a few days.

Hyway
02-16-2010, 14:32
I know I have not thruhiked yet, but I have seen some hiker boxes and reads lots about them. Like I said earlier, they are upscale trash cans full of mystery meals and maybe some useful items. "Hiker box" is just the name written on the outside so people can tell the difference between the trash can, the aluminum recycling can and the stuff that hikers are tired of carrying and didn't want to mail home. There is no "hiker box" industry that manufactures, supplies, and services them. There are no rules for them other than from the entity that owns the private property they are located in.

Sly
02-16-2010, 16:41

OK, now tell us what prevented YOU from cleaning the box?

Bearpaw
02-16-2010, 17:05
The most common food item I saw in hiker boxes was ziploc'ed Liptons. Lots of them. Occasionally ramen.

Mostly I saw heavier but small gear items. Candle lanterns. Flashlights. Sometimes first aid stuff that someone had too much of.

Also bulk items like a big bottle of Dr. Bronner's soap, sometimes batteries in various states of charge, sometimes part of a big bottle of ibuprofen.

Some of these are very helpful. Some are junk. They're all free for the taking. Just that simple.

Jack Tarlin
02-16-2010, 17:17
Glad someone mentioned batteries. Quick comments:

*If you just got new ones, either in the mail or at a store, and choose to put
your old ones in a hiker box for somone else to use, please let folks know
that these are NOT new, i.e. they could die at any time.
*And if you ever take batteries OUT of a hiker box, unless they're in their
original packaging, take and use them at your own risk. They might be
good for three more weeks.......they might go dead in three hours.

And as other folks have said, if there's any doubt as to what an item actually is, please take a minute and label/identify it, especially if it's something like soap, medicine, vitamins, etc. This takes just a few moments to do and really helps the person who is going thru the box trying to find useful stuff.

sasquatch2014
02-16-2010, 21:12
With all of this I am now temped to pack in some strange stuff just to leave in the hiker box, 9mm ammo, Margarita Mix, Blow up pool raft, Blow up sheep (ask Wrongway). May be the "rule should be like in Rummy. If you are going to take something out of the box you can take the item on the top if there items above the item you want you MUST take all of those items and use them as well. There we have it the start of the trail game "Hiker Box Rummy".

Cool AT Breeze
02-16-2010, 21:31
We found a sex toy like I've never seen before in the gear box last year. I think it's still around here somewhere.

sasquatch2014
02-16-2010, 21:56
We found a sex toy like I've never seen before in the gear box last year. I think it's still around here somewhere.

refer to Jacks post if it is still in original package that is one thing other wise please put a note on it that it has been used.:eek:

sasquatch2014
02-16-2010, 21:57

Sorry second thought should this get cross tied to the thread of things to do during a Thru hike?

Bronk
02-17-2010, 03:35
I agree with the person who described hiker boxes as upscale trashcans.

I don't view a hiker box as the trail equivalent of a food pantry anymore than I view hiker feeds as the trail equivalent of a soup kitchen.

Honor system or not, I don't see anything wrong with taking things from the hiker box even if you don't spend money at the business...and I don't think you have to "need" it either...its a carboard box...it doesn't cost the business owner but 2 square feet of floor space. People put things in there for free. If the business owner doesn't like certain people taking things from the hiker box, they need to tell that person and post a policy on who is allowed to add or remove items from the box...might make hikers reconsider putting items in.

Hiker boxes are filled with items THAT WOULD OTHERWISE BE THROWN AWAY. Its not a charity box per se. Its one member of the hiking community saying "I don't need this, does anybody want it?"

Many times I took oatmeal or energy drink mixes out of hiker boxes. I was never hard up for cash. I took them because these were items I normally used and there were always TONS of them in the hiker box. Many would likely have been thrown away if I hadn't taken them...stupid for me to go and pay cash for something somebody else is throwing away.

At Neels Gap the box was overflowing...an employee there commented "yeah, we probably need to clean that out again...we throw a lot of this stuff away."

RGB
02-17-2010, 05:44
I can't believe there are five pages on the proper use of hiker boxes. Sad, really.

GGS2
02-17-2010, 06:03
'Sokay. It's mostly about the IMproper use of hiker boxes.

Lyle
02-17-2010, 10:42
On the couple of longer trips I've taken I got in the habit of making my grocery list and then checking the hiker box before heading to the grocery.

Grocery list? On a hike?

That'd be a novel approach. You must be MUCH more organized than me. :D

Lyle
02-17-2010, 10:58
A good "general" rule of thumb when taking advice from people on this forum, check the number of posts they've made and their join date. The ones in the thousands or that have been here a few years are usually people who have been around and know what they're talking about. It is just a general rule, and not 100% accurate, but it is a good way of sorting through the b.s.

I agree with your comments about hiker boxes and that anyone can take whatever they want. The items have been thrown out after all. Just in a place that makes it more convenient for others to pick through.

I disagree with the "rule" in the above quote, however. Plenty of folks have plenty of experience other than on the AT or here on WB. WB, and the folks who live here, are not THE experts, not by a long shot. Read the posts for a while, and you will find the folks who you tend to agree with and respect.

Plenty of the rest of the opinions here on WB, some from the most prolific posters, should be ignored. Maybe even some of mine. Maybe...
Ya think?...........Nah!

Take what makes sense, consider what might be plausible, throw the rest out.

Good luck, and HAVE FUN!!!

Two Speed
02-17-2010, 11:07
Grocery list . . . You must be MUCH more organized than me. :DDeveloped the habit of making a list after I forgot some goodies I'd been jonesing for. Then I realized I could wander by the hiker box on the way out the door.

Jester2000
02-17-2010, 14:48
Take what makes sense, consider what might be plausible, throw the rest out.

I agree with Lyle, and in so doing, make the observation that 95% of what I write should be ignored.

Rockhound
02-17-2010, 15:04
If I see a Spam single, summer sausage, Snickers bars, tuna etc.... I'm snagging it. Every now and then you find something good. Mostly it's just Ramens, oatmeal and a bunch of unidentifiable crap. Disparage me if you want. It's a buck or two more I don't have to spend. If you found money on the ground would you leave it there? I think that the only rule that should be applied to hiker boxes is that it should be used only by people hiking at that time.

Two Speed
02-17-2010, 15:17
. . . I think that the only rule that should be applied to hiker boxes is that it should be used only by people hiking at that time.I dunno. How about "first come, first served because there really ain't **** you can do about it anyway"?

Seriously, this is one of the things I find funnier than hell.

For argument's sake there's something really killer in the hiker box, like a Spam single. Being a selfish ******* I cop it.

You arrive ten minutes later. How are you going to know I got the Spam?

Rockhound
02-17-2010, 15:27
Just means your timing was a little better. Next time maybe I get lucky. Unless you drove in and took it. Then you should be tarred, feathered and thrown in a hiker box

Two Speed
02-17-2010, 15:32
Yeah, that's what I'm getting at.

The local Cool Breeze mentioned ought to be grateful the staff discourage him/her from getting into the box. The hikers don't own the contents but that is asking for an good tight smack.

Other than that if someone else cops something you might have wanted before you get there you really haven't lost anything, you just didn't get a freebie. A lot of the "rules" I've seen here looks like a slightly different version of "thru-hiker entitlement" to me.

Then again I might wind up sitting in a hiker box wearing tar and feathers. Would you take advice from a guy like that?

I wouldn't.

Jack Tarlin
02-17-2010, 20:03
Also have to disagree with the comment about leaving the box alone if "you're not hiking at the time."

Driving 30 miles and raiding a hiker box for your pantry is one thing.

But I remember once pulling a few Mountain House dinners out of the hiker box at the ATC office and some guy getting in my face demanding to know if I was hiking on the Trail at the moment. In point of fact, I wasn't heading outta town for a few days to come, but does that mean I was supposed to walk away from 15 bucks worth of nice dinners?

Please.

I agree with the person who expressed amazement that there are 5 pages about Hiker Box etiquette. It's pretty simple: Stuff left in a hiker box is essentially abandoned goods, and pretty much belongs to whoever finds it, and whoever wants to make use of it.

(Unless of course you're not hiking at all at the moment, and arrived at the box by car; this is probably a pretty good exception to the rule! And making frequent car stops to raid a hiker box regularly is kinda low......if you can afford to keep a car on the road, you can probably afford to buy your own groceries!)

Bumpa
02-17-2010, 20:57
Lilred...I have 66 years of life experience, over 30 yrs of backpacking in several countries, including 1000 miles of AT but few posts on this forum. I guess you can presuppose that anything i say is B.S. until I post something worthy

Rockhound
02-17-2010, 21:27
Also have to disagree with the comment about leaving the box alone if "you're not hiking at the time."

Driving 30 miles and raiding a hiker box for your pantry is one thing.

But I remember once pulling a few Mountain House dinners out of the hiker box at the ATC office and some guy getting in my face demanding to know if I was hiking on the Trail at the moment. In point of fact, I wasn't heading outta town for a few days to come, but does that mean I was supposed to walk away from 15 bucks worth of nice dinners?

Please.

I agree with the person who expressed amazement that there are 5 pages about Hiker Box etiquette. It's pretty simple: Stuff left in a hiker box is essentially abandoned goods, and pretty much belongs to whoever finds it, and whoever wants to make use of it.

(Unless of course you're not hiking at all at the moment, and arrived at the box by car; this is probably a pretty good exception to the rule! And making frequent car stops to raid a hiker box regularly is kinda low......if you can afford to keep a car on the road, you can probably afford to buy your own groceries!)
For crying out loud Jack. Even when we agree you have to say I'm wrong. By "hiking at the time" I hope you don't think one had to be ambulatory as they passed by the box, reached down and grabbed whatever they could without stopping to be considered a hiker. No, taking a zero day does not mean you are no longer a hiker and deserve no hiker box privileges. Driving up in a care does.

Lilred
02-18-2010, 00:51
Lilred...I have 66 years of life experience, over 30 yrs of backpacking in several countries, including 1000 miles of AT but few posts on this forum. I guess you can presuppose that anything i say is B.S. until I post something worthy

In case you didn't notice, I said general rule. In case you didn't notice, I said it's not 100% accurate. And did you miss the part about checking out a person's join date as well?? But way to go on taking a broad generalization and turning it into a personal attack against you. Have you learned much in those 66 years?

sasquatch2014
02-18-2010, 11:02
What about the trash can by the AT train stop? I got a useable tent and sleeping pad out of there last year. It had been there two days before I grabbed it.

Two Speed
02-18-2010, 11:15
. . . and some guy getting in my face demanding to know if I was hiking on the Trail at the moment . . . Actually that's a real good example of what I'm talking about. I'd be real surprised if anyone can make a sound legal argument that something in a hiker's box is for hikers only, but sometimes real life doesn't operate according to legal principles.

Go figure.

Bumpa
02-18-2010, 12:14
In case you didn't notice, I said general rule. In case you didn't notice, I said it's not 100% accurate. And did you miss the part about checking out a person's join date as well?? But way to go on taking a broad generalization and turning it into a personal attack against you. Have you learned much in those 66 years?

I've learned enough to know that generalizations are not often good advice for "newbies". You are right that the idea of suggesting that the number of postings "generally" indicate a level of expertise is not 100% accurate. Just saying :-?

Rockhound
02-18-2010, 12:22
A simple rule of thumb might be whatever is taken from a hiker box should be eaten there or hiked out. Let's leave the "what if someone drives in, eats there out of the box and drives away?" semantics argument out of it. If that happened I'm sure there would be plenty of hikers there to give the moocher crap while he ate.

JustaTouron
02-18-2010, 12:46
Actually that's a real good example of what I'm talking about. I'd be real surprised if anyone can make a sound legal argument that something in a hiker's box is for hikers only, but sometimes real life doesn't operate according to legal principles.

Go figure.

I doubt anyone could make a sound legal argument on why you shouldn't pick your nose in a fancy restaurant. But doing so is considered rude.

Two Speed
02-18-2010, 12:52
Well, go get 'em, tiger! And while were at it I'm counting on you to not let anyone get away with picking their nose, fancy restaurant or not.

Cool AT Breeze
02-18-2010, 15:24
Whiteblaze is awesome. Pissin about something that don't mean crap.

Lilred
02-18-2010, 17:00
I've learned enough to know that generalizations are not often good advice for "newbies". You are right that the idea of suggesting that the number of postings "generally" indicate a level of expertise is not 100% accurate. Just saying :-?

I know I'm right, that's why I said it.

sasquatch2014
02-18-2010, 17:48
I doubt anyone could make a sound legal argument on why you shouldn't pick your nose in a fancy restaurant. But doing so is considered rude.

What if I keep my little finger held out and use the nice napkin to wipe it on even then?

Two Speed
02-18-2010, 18:31
Whiteblaze is awesome. Pissin about something that don't mean crap.Yeah, gotta love it. Tell ya what, I'll enumerate what I understand about hiker boxes, and based on your experience at Mountain Crossings tell me if I got it wrong:

A hiker box is usually just that, a box or similarly shaped receptacle
People put stuff they don't want or can't use in the hiker box
People that find stuff in a hiker box they want or can use can take that stuff out of the hiker box and don't have to pay for it
There is no quota for what you have to take out of a hiker box if you're a hiker, and while it may be rude there really isn't any way to stop someone from taking all the "good stuff" and leaving only "bad stuff" for everyone else
Generally the stuff in a hiker box is supposed to be for hikers, but "non-hikers" have been known to take stuff out of hiker boxes
Most hostel owners really don't care all that much if hikers or "non-hikers" take stuff out of the hiker box but generally prefer only hikers take stuff out of a hiker box
Sometimes if someone who doesn't look like or is perceived not to be a hiker takes stuff out of a hiker box other hikers may take offense
There really isn't a hard and fast definition of what a "hiker" is any more than there is a hard and fast definition of what "good stuff" is.

So, close or all fouled up?

Appalachian Tater
02-18-2010, 18:37
If some car tourists stop at the outfitter at Neels Gap for snacks and to look at the old building and the five year old kid finds some freeze dried astronaut ice cream in the hiker box and gets all excited about it because he always wanted to be an astronaut, can he take it or is he not allowed to have it because he's not hiking? Would he be allowed to take it if he always wanted to be a hiker even though he's traveling by car? What if he were 7 or 12 years old? What if he were 50 years old but had a mental disability? :confused:

Bumpa
02-18-2010, 18:41
I know I'm right, that's why I said it.

Good for you...you and I seem to be the only two with an interest in this and I am rapidly losing mine...lets just drop it

JustaTouron
02-18-2010, 18:45
If some car tourists stop at the outfitter at Neels Gap for snacks and to look at the old building and the five year old kid finds some freeze dried astronaut ice cream in the hiker box and gets all excited about it because he always wanted to be an astronaut, can he take it or is he not allowed to have it because he's not hiking? Would he be allowed to take it if he always wanted to be a hiker even though he's traveling by car? What if he were 7 or 12 years old? What if he were 50 years old but had a mental disability? :confused:

According to puppy it would okay for the five year old to eat it on premise, but the hikers would allowed to harrass the 5 year old until he/she starts to cry and runs to mom. The 5 year old can not take it with him/her for later.

A simple rule of thumb might be whatever is taken from a hiker box should be eaten there or hiked out. Let's leave the "what if someone drives in, eats there out of the box and drives away?" semantics argument out of it. If that happened I'm sure there would be plenty of hikers there to give the moocher crap while he ate.

Cool AT Breeze
02-18-2010, 22:52
Yeah, gotta love it. Tell ya what, I'll enumerate what I understand about hiker boxes, and based on your experience at Mountain Crossings tell me if I got it wrong:
A hiker box is usually just that, a box or similarly shaped receptacle
People put stuff they don't want or can't use in the hiker box
People that find stuff in a hiker box they want or can use can take that stuff out of the hiker box and don't have to pay for it
There is no quota for what you have to take out of a hiker box if you're a hiker, and while it may be rude there really isn't any way to stop someone from taking all the "good stuff" and leaving only "bad stuff" for everyone else
Generally the stuff in a hiker box is supposed to be for hikers, but "non-hikers" have been known to take stuff out of hiker boxes
Most hostel owners really don't care all that much if hikers or "non-hikers" take stuff out of the hiker box but generally prefer only hikers take stuff out of a hiker box
Sometimes if someone who doesn't look like or is perceived not to be a hiker takes stuff out of a hiker box other hikers may take offense
There really isn't a hard and fast definition of what a "hiker" is any more than there is a hard and fast definition of what "good stuff" is.
So, close or all fouled up?
You got it. I can't think of anything to add.

GGS2
02-18-2010, 23:18
You got it. I can't think of anything to add.Well, that's boring.

Cool AT Breeze
02-18-2010, 23:23
Hiker boxes are boring. Unless you're a hungry hiker with no money.

Dogwood
02-18-2010, 23:33

Only IF it was a chocolate freeze dried astronaut ice cream, he was 10 yrs old or younger, he did not share any of the ice cream with his tourist parents, and it was a leap yr!

I think I need an appt w/ the Dali Lama after trying to make sense of this confusing thread. My brain hurts. Time to lock it down.

sasquatch2014
02-19-2010, 00:08
Only IF it was a chocolate freeze dried astronaut ice cream, he was 10 yrs old or younger, he did not share any of the ice cream with his tourist parents, and it was a leap yr!

I think I need an appt w/ the Dali Lama after trying to make sense of this confusing thread. My brain hurts. Time to lock it down.

Oh to lock it down just start to talk about how the food that is re-distributed out of the hiker boxes should be taxed. These taxes can be used for all kinds of things from vaccinating raccoons in NYC to the study of whether drum circles add to changes in global weather patterns etc etc just pick any one of the topics that normally get it locked but what ever you do please keep your dog on a leash and make sure your rifle is unloaded properly before using it club baby snow seals.:rolleyes:

The :rolleyes: is for the using the gun to club seals comment. Everyone should know that you don't do that it could damage the rifle and you will need that fend off Polar Bears. At least for the time being until they all drown from melting ice or migrate with the cougars to the Mid-Atlantic states.

Again want to apologize for the :rolleyes: about the seals.

Dogwood
02-19-2010, 00:22
I'm undecided if I should burn all hiker boxes I see from now on, cuddle up to one with my arm wrapped around it, or just continue the leave some take some approach like I always have. I think I'll take door #3.

Now, time to find a palm tree on the beach to sleep under. Perhaps, the crashing of the waves will help clear my head of all this hiker box talk.

Jester2000
02-19-2010, 11:02
Time to lock it down.

There is no reason whatsoever to lock this thread. All you need to do is unsubscribe from it.

RGB
02-19-2010, 11:32

As a general rule, I tend to not take advice from rude people, but rather, completely ignore them. This isn't 100% accurate, but is usually true.

Two Speed
02-19-2010, 14:29
If some car tourists stop at the outfitter at Neels Gap for snacks and to look at the old building and the five year old kid finds some freeze dried astronaut ice cream in the hiker box and gets all excited about it because he always wanted to be an astronaut, can he take it or is he not allowed to have it because he's not hiking?
According to puppy it would okay for the five year old to eat it on premise, but the hikers would allowed to harrass the 5 year old until he/she starts to cry and runs to mom. The 5 year old can not take it with him/her for later.Technically correct, but most hikers don't feel the need to bust on 5 year old kids.
Would he be allowed to take it if he always wanted to be a hiker even though he's traveling by car? What if he were 7 or 12 years old? What if he were 50 years old but had a mental disability? :confused:Dunno. Does the 50 year old wanna be an astronaut?

Rockhound
02-19-2010, 14:38
"No, honey, that is only for hungry hikers hiking the A.T.. Put it back please" "But mom! I need it. Pleeeeeease?" "I said no honey" "But I really want it!" Maybe when you hike the trail someday you can have it" "But I want it now!" "Listen you little brat. I said no. Now get your insolent little ass back in the car. Were going home. One more word and you're going to be lucky if you can walk that far. I swear, I can't take you anyplace."

Appalachian Tater
02-19-2010, 14:42
Does the 50 year old wanna be an astronaut?Yes, that was the whole point!

The reason I used the freeze dried ice cream example is because I found a pack of it in the hiker box at Elmers and ate it right then and there, sharing it with some other hikers who also wanted to try it. None of us were hungry at the time and as far as I know, none of us ever wanted to be astronauts or needed the ice cream or used it for supply. Somebody left it there, I found it and ate it.

Really all of this talk about hiker boxes is silly. The only rules imposed on them (if any) are by the owner of the property where they are located and as far as hiker box etiquette, well you're never going to get everyone to agree on it much less follow it. People won't follow the written rules much less the unwritten ones.

If there is something you want in a hiker box, take it; if you have something you don't want somebody else might, leave it.

sasquatch2014
02-19-2010, 15:47
"No, honey, that is only for hungry hikers hiking the A.T.. Put it back please" "But mom! I need it. Pleeeeeease?" "I said no honey" "But I really want it!" Maybe when you hike the trail someday you can have it" "But I want it now!" "Listen you little brat. I said no. Now get your insolent little ass back in the car. Were going home. One more word and you're going to be lucky if you can walk that far. I swear, I can't take you anyplace."

Wow I didn't think anyone saw that little exchange on our last family trip. That will teach me eyes are everywhere.

Dogwood
02-19-2010, 15:53

Who knew. Someone as crazy as me!

Two Speed
02-19-2010, 17:06
Yes, that was the whole point! . . . If there is something you want in a hiker box, take it; if you have something you don't want somebody else might, leave it.'Kay, I got my response from CB. Any problems with the way I itemized the issue (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=973136&postcount=107), want to add something or just wanted to spout off?

NTTAWT

max patch
02-19-2010, 17:43
I can't believe there are five pages on the proper use of hiker boxes. Sad, really.

I was thinking the same thing about the 10 pages (!!!) on the guy who's looking for a hairy hippie chick to hike with.

sasquatch2014
02-19-2010, 21:00
I was thinking the same thing about the 10 pages (!!!) on the guy who's looking for a hairy hippie chick to hike with.
Why is he thinking of resupplying out of hiker boxes?

Wanted Earthy Hippy Chick willing to dumpster dive and raid hiker boxes. Must be willing to create complete meal from unidentified zip lock baggies of unknown substances.

berkshirebirder
02-19-2010, 22:31
Earthy Hippy Chick...Must be willing to create complete meal from unidentified zip lock baggies of unknown substances

while being chased by a mountain lion.

sasquatch2014
02-19-2010, 22:58

Thats a given.

Dogwood
02-20-2010, 01:20

and wanting to do the cheapest possible thru-hike and wondering if there are too many tourists on the trail.

After reading some of the "Earthy Female Hiker Wanted" posts I had to rethink my original post on "Is It Safe For A Female To hike Alone."