PDA

View Full Version : Recipe: Salsa Mashed Potatoes

RollingStone
02-14-2010, 18:44
This is a great recipe we adapted from fresh ingredients. It also is open in that you can experiment with different methods in order to get the same result. As an example, you could use Sour Cream flavored potatoes instead of Sour Cream powder. So what we are posting is what worked for us but by all means you should experiment! That's half the fun of making trail food in the first place ;)

Salsa Mashed Potatoes

*1 Package of Instant Mashed Potatoes (we used Betty Crocker Roasted Garlic)
*1/8th Cup Fresh or dried Cilantro (Fresh gives a better taste and is easy to put in the pack)
*1/2 tsp EACH of Ground Coriander and Ground Cumin
*1/2C. Softened Sun Dried Tomatoes
*1/2 C. Sour Cream Powder Mix (Since I'm not sure how all sour cream powders work, use the mixed amount suggested on your type of powder)
*1/2 C. Red Onion (dried or fresh)
Salt and Pepper to taste

To make in camp, mix all dried ingredients together with mashed potatoes then add enough boiling water to create.

Add softened tomatoes last and serve. Makes 2 large servings.

Feasibly if you really wanted to get creative, you could take small red potatoes with you into the backcountry and create this recipe with real potatoes roasted over a fire.

These go well with a variety of dishes or fry breads.

Rockhound
02-14-2010, 19:19
This is just crazy talk. You can not eat tasty meals on the trail. It's just Ramens and Poptarts from GA to ME.

Turtle Feet
02-14-2010, 21:24
Thanks for the yummy recipe!

skinewmexico
02-15-2010, 02:01
Sounds good. I might have to sneak some beef or ham flavored TVP into that.