PDA

View Full Version : PA/MD/VA Weather in April?

AeroGuyDC
02-14-2010, 21:49
I'm approaching the final stages of planning for my upcoming April section hike (Caledonia SP, PA to Front Royal, VA) and i've purposely put off my clothing selection until I can get a better handle on the weather. Does anyone have any insight onto what kind of weather I can reasonably expect for an April 29-May 9 hike? I've seen various weather charts online, but any real-world experience with Highs and Lows during this time period in this section would be great.

I'll take any clothing recommendations as well.

Thanks!

Spirit Walker
02-14-2010, 23:19
Could be beautiful 70-80 degrees and sunshine, could be cold (40s) and wet. I'd bring a long underwear shirt for night, but probably wouldn't bother with long underwear bottoms. Rain jacket but not rain pants. Warm jacket, but not down. Definitely a t-shirt. It's spring, which means changeable, but generally not too cold that late in the season.

carobe
02-24-2010, 10:02
Pretty much what Spirit Walker said. Plan for the cool side, with afternoon showers, but bring along a set of warmer weather clothes too.

Blissful
02-24-2010, 10:33
Check weather ahead of time, be prepared for wet conditions. For me, I'd take rain pants, but that's me. Convertible pants lets you change to shorts if its warm.

hal0ofwint3r
03-05-2010, 21:04
i usually hike april trips with cargo pants, short sleeve techwick, and yes, bring a long sleeve underwear shirt. it can still get a little cold at night, so i'd take a lightweight fleece jacket. lightweight rain jacket is a must, but you won't need long underwear pants. a 30deg bag will give you extra warmth. took a 40 once and i was cold one night, so i used a 30 since for april.

hal0ofwint3r
03-05-2010, 21:06
sorry, the fleece jacket for the morning. you shouldn't need it at night. i made it sound like you're going to wear it at night in your sleeping bag. haha. but yes, the mornings can still be cold. at least in pa.

Bearwalker
03-05-2010, 21:34
It always seems to be rainy (april and may) in the state of Pa. The weather usually is 50- low 60s and chilly in the morning and nights. Plan for a wet hike through pa and hopefully youll get lucky and mother nature will smile some sunshine your way!!! Have fun.