PDA

View Full Version : Need sleeping bag advice

Cakon
02-14-2010, 23:53
I decided I need a warmer bag for my thru. I have a 10 year old 20 degree bag that has lost some of its rating. I am leaving next week so I need to decide ASAP. I have $300 for the purchase. I am looking at an REI halo 10, MontBell spiral hugger 15. I also found a RAB quantum 600 with 850 fill for $239 on campsaver but I have never heard of this brand. I know I'll have to kick in for fast shipping but its better than freezing to death. I also found the spiral hugger 1 zero degree for $311 on backcountrygear.com. I am a cold sleeper and the thought of not being cold is great. I can switch to my 20 degree once it warms up so this is just for the cold of a late February start.

Let er rip lets see what everyone comes up with. Thanks.

Cool AT Breeze
02-14-2010, 23:57
A friend of mine has a RAB jacket. He likes it and it seems like good quality.

Tinker
02-15-2010, 00:28
In the past most REI bags have been a trim fit (makes the specs look better - less fill, less fabric, less weight for temp. range). Maybe they've changed things in the past 5-6 years or so. Their gear is usually very well made, but not up to the top of the line cottage industries (Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering in the sleeping bag category).
If you are tall and relatively slim, I have a Feathered Friends Great Auk overbag (2 oz. overfill), size long that I might part with. Wearing a light jacket and fleece pants in it I've been comfortable down to +5 degrees. It has 750 fill down, weighs 2.5 lbs. and has a pad pocket in the bottom (no insulation). Excellent condition. It's pretty much a rectangular bag designed to put over another bag (or wear a down parka in).
orig. cost was $360. I figure it's worth $250. The inside dimensions are 60"/60"60" and it was designed to take a Thermarest 20" wide x 1.5" pad (long or short).

Cakon
02-15-2010, 00:33
I wish I was tall and slim but unfortunatly that is not me. I'm 5'10'' 200#. Feathered Friends are great but I'm not sure this is the right fit for me.

Tinker
02-15-2010, 00:38
You're probably right. I'm 5' 10-1/2", 212 lbs. My wife's been using the bag for one night a year for the past 8 years. I don't use it any more because I've - ahem - outgrown it. She really doesn't need that warm a bag, so I figured I might sell it and get her something more appropriate for her actual usage (and less expensive).
I gave my son (he's 24) my Rock Wren. He uses it very little more than my wife uses "her" bag! That's a lot of money to spend for casual use!

singing wind
02-15-2010, 00:41
Since you're consdering the REI Halo, perhaps look also at the older version - the Sub-Kilo. Sure, it's a 20 degree bag, but at around $140 sale price that would leave a bit of change for hiking or whatever. It's not available online at the sale price right not but I called their phone order line late last week to ask about it and they said there were still quite a few available. The customer service person said basically the only difference between the Halo and the Sub-Kilo is that the Halo has the EN rating.

Good luck with your hike and enjoy!

4shot
02-15-2010, 01:24
I went with a Marmot pinnacle 15 degree bag in December. Love it, think I got in sale for 235 - 250. Great bag, accurate temp rating, have been comfortable in single digits with just a base layer. can't compare it with your others but I don't hesitate in recommending this particular brand/model. Good luck!

tammons
02-15-2010, 01:32
The MB #1 spiral is a good bag and roomy. Not as roomy as the SS but still nice.
The only problem I have with them is they are right zip only.
Also the zip on the long was a bit short, but not too bad.

Other than that they are very nice.

Egads
02-15-2010, 07:13
I'd go with a Montbell

Mountain Wildman
02-15-2010, 07:44
Feathered Friends has a wide series bag for larger guys,
I am 5'11" 280lbs.
I purchased their Winter Wren Bag, It is real tight but once things warm up I will lose my winter weight and it should be fine. It's an 850+ Power Goose Down Fill.
P.S. Rab is at the higher end of quality judging from all of the research I have done which is quite extensive.
Good Luck!!!

bigcranky
02-15-2010, 08:07
If you can find a Montbell #1 super stretch UL down hugger, you'll be plenty warm. Prolite Gear often has Montbell at a discount.

tintin
02-15-2010, 08:08
Rab are a UK brand and probably have the best reputation out of any manufacturer for outdoor gear over here. I have a Rab sleeping bag (Quantum 250) and it is excellent. I highly recommend their products. I'll be taking my Rab sleeping bag, jacket and gloves with me for my thru.

Best of luck to you mate.

DAJA
02-15-2010, 11:21
My gf and I are both looking to update our 3 season bags. We wiil be replacing our 12 yr old LL Bean down 20F bags that we have been very pleased with, but o er the years hey have lost loft and are showing signs of wear.

My gf is 5.0' and 110lbs so sizing can be tough. She seems to be leaning toward a marmot helium women specific short 15F. She also cosidered montbells UL SS #1.

I'm 5'11" and 170lbs and leaning toward the WM Ultalite 20F regular length. Others I've considered are the montbell UL SS #1 regular, marmot helium 15F regular, and the WM alpinlite..

Looking for input or other suggestions. Thanks.

Cakon
02-15-2010, 12:01
Still really torn between the helium and Montbell #1. I passed on the Rab because it is too long. It fit's a 6'6" person. I'm only 5'10" and thats too much extra space to heat and length to carry. If someone tall is looking for a bag campsaver has an 850 fill Rab quantum for $239 free shipping it weighs 2.72#'s
http://www.campsaver.com/itemmatrix.asp?GroupCode=rab0039&MatrixType=1

Cakon
02-15-2010, 12:12
Well, It was decision time. I just ordered the Montbell SS hugger #1. Most places were out of stock, I found it on backcountrygear.com. It was a tough choice both recieved great reviews, same price, one less oz for the helium. I guess I just thought the hugger looked cool. Well I'll be $316 lighter for my hike. I wish my pack weight was as easy to lose!

Rick500
02-15-2010, 12:30
I have a Montbell UL Super Stretch Down Hugger #2, and although I haven't tried it at rated temps (25F) yet, I can tell you the quality is great.

Use bing.com/cashback and search for it through that site to get about a 12% discount on top of whatever sale price you might be able to find. Best deal for me ended up being through backcountry.com, searched through Bing w/ cashback.

tammons
02-15-2010, 14:57
Did you get the spiral or the SS ??

Rick500
02-15-2010, 16:39
I have the SS, not the spiral.

JonnyWalker
02-15-2010, 17:10
Are the SS bags more comfertable than a traditional bag?

Rick500
02-15-2010, 17:31
For me they are. I feel a little too constricted in a normal mummy bag. I can move around in the SS bag with no trouble and without a lot of extra air space in the bag.

Cakon
02-15-2010, 17:50
Sorry I misrepresented I got the spiral down hugger #1.

Tinker
02-15-2010, 19:34
Montbell needs to make a down hugger bag with a drawstring opening at each end (for hammockers). The hugger feature would keep the bag from sagging below the hammock which would prevent a cold spot there. Are you listening, Montbell?

Smokestacks
02-15-2010, 20:07
do yourself a favor and get the montbell ul super stretch hugger

mykl
02-15-2010, 21:52
Campmor sells their own brand of bags that seem nice. They have 20 degree bags, both mummy and rectangular that are a little over 2 pounds and have a 7" x 14" stuff size, according to their web site. Been looking into one myself, the rectangle. I prefer them over mummy, I move a lot in my sleep and like the room. Don't see to many companies making a decent rectangle, at least one that has a smaller stuff size, not to heavy and is 20 degrees or so. But I know, the mummy will keep you warmer.

buz
02-16-2010, 10:44
Cakon, Good on you for going warmer with the bag. Nothing like being cold at night. Hot is good, lol. If you don't like the feel/room of the spiral, be aware the ulss has more give then the spiral. You could trade right quick if the fit doesn't feel right. I have the ulss #2 and have tried the spiral #3, and like the ss feature better. They are both good bags thou. Have a great trip.

Mykl,

the campmor down bags are a good value, just a little optimistic in their ratings, IMO. We have a number of the down 20's in our scout troop, and I think they are a warm 30, and a cool 20, lol. You can sleep in them at 20, but you need good ground insulation and some help in the bag. Good value thou.

mykl
02-17-2010, 10:55
Thanks buz for the review on the Campmor bags. I think I'm going to pick one up, need a new bag and don't have a big budget.

tammons
02-17-2010, 11:28
The SS bags are very comfy.
I am 6'-3 and I can sit up and cross my legs inside a SS bag while its zipped.
If you are stuck in a tent for days, being able to sit up like that with your bag zipped, makes a big difference.

Good deal on a SS #1 at that price.

buz
02-17-2010, 12:02
Mykl,

The campmor bags, at least the ones we have, bought over a couple of years are also continuous baffle bags, meaning one baffle goes all the way around the bag. Not sure if the new ones are. this means on warm nights you can shift the down to the bottom and lay on it, staying cooler, or of course just use the bag quilt style, and on cold nights, work the vast majority of the down to the top of the bag, a lot warmer set up. I think this is nice feature.

mykl
02-17-2010, 17:30
Thanks again buz, I'll find out from Campmor about that and pass it on.