PDA

View Full Version : Directions to Mountain Mama's

Uncle Wayne
09-24-2004, 07:13
I don't have a map or data book with me but need directions to Mountain Mama's from Gatlinburg. Just from memory seems like I would head north on the Foothill parkway to Cosby but that's as far as I can get. Thanks for any help.

Lobo
09-24-2004, 07:58
The AT at Davenport Gap is 30.6 from Gatlinburg via U.S. 321 & Tenn. 32. Mountain Momma's is 1.3 miles east of the Trail on Tenn. 32, N.C. 284.

Tripod
09-24-2004, 14:06
Take 321 from Gattlinburg (Cosby Hwy) to I-40. Go East on 40 toward Ashville until you get to the Waterville Road exit. Turn right and cross the river then bare left toward the Waterville hydro plant. Mt. Momma's is a couple of miles past the hydro plant on the left.

This route avoids most of the gravel road.

smokymtnsteve
09-24-2004, 15:01
Tn 32 is a beautiful little dirt and gravel road..better quicker route is the one tripod suggested...bare left and follow the river to Mtn. momma's.

of course maybe you want to take the slow backwoods route of Tn 32..which takes you by the trail x-ing at Davenport gap. in that case just follow 32 (which changes nomenclature at the NC border till you come to the stop sign...big creek campground and the park are to the right and mtn momma's is to the left.

have you considered Standing Bear Farm that is also nearby?

LWOP
09-24-2004, 16:32
I would rather get lost than find myself at Mt Moma's. Go someplace where hikers are welcome and treated with respect. Standing Bear Farm can provide the same services and the owner works hard to earn your business.

Flash Hand
09-24-2004, 17:20
I would rather get lost than find myself at Mt Moma's. Go someplace where hikers are welcome and treated with respect. Standing Bear Farm can provide the same services and the owner works hard to earn your business.

Yeah I agree, Curtis is very exceptional and very wonderful person! I will definetly going there again next year on my thru hike.

Flash Hand :jump

smokymtnsteve
09-24-2004, 17:33
I prefer standing bear over mtn momma's but the one thing "better" about mtn mommas is the food service. Ms.Thigpen does does a real good job with the on site food service. and mtn mommas always has coleman fuel...curtis doesn't.

LWOP
09-24-2004, 20:30
Curtis at SBF made sure all our needs were taken care of. Food, fuel, internet access, even a trip into town for a stop at Walmart and a ride to an AYCE restaurant. Anyone who has sampled both will choose to bypass MM's. I stayed at MM's in '02. It was a filthy flea ridden dump run by people who were rude and inconsiderate toward hikers. Again, I don't usually bad mouth anyone. But Mountain Momma's went out of their way to earn my dissatisfaction and I'll do what I can to help other hikers not subject themselves to such an establishment.

smokymtnsteve
09-24-2004, 20:34
YEA ..like I said I prefer SBF also...I call Mtn. Momma's Thigpen's Pigpen...

MOWGLI
09-24-2004, 20:41
I would rather get lost than find myself at Mt Moma's. Go someplace where hikers are welcome and treated with respect.

I was both welcomed and treated with respect by the Thigpens. It was one of my favorite places along the trail, for precisely the reasons that you seemed to dislike it. Because they didn't treat me special.

Brushy Sage
09-24-2004, 21:41
I was also at MM's in 2002, waiting out a rainy day and night. The only person who treated me rudely was another hiker. My impression is that the management and staff accept people as they are, and respond in kind.

orangebug
09-24-2004, 23:21
I stayed there in 2001 after the blizzard. I was entertained by the signs forbidding foul language next to the "No BS" signs from a cigarette corporation. They saved my mail drop, even though everything I mailed was available there. She mailed back the stuff I didn't want to carry, after some begging and a good "tip." The shower was wonderful. The ride to the trail was great with good conversation. I didn't like the pay phone which wouldn't allow phone card use. It's fairly clear that the primary business is cigarette sales and local convenience store. The burgers are excellent!

The Thigpen's place was the best available, and I felt the price was better bang for the buck than some places (Rainbow Springs comes to mind). The new place might be better in some ways, but I bet both places are excellent representatives of the variety of trail resources available. I even suspect that the competition will keep both sharp.

Bill...

Youngblood
09-25-2004, 09:24
Ditto to enjoying my stay at Mtn Momma's in 2000. I even stopped by a couple of months ago for a soda and still enjoyed the visit... some neat old vehicles around and it has a character all its own. Sometimes the problem is our own expectations and/or attitude.

Youngblood

9 Mules
09-25-2004, 13:09
No, sometimes Mountain Mama's and her old man are rude period.
I can see a few complaints about a Hostel over the years, but damn every year?
I've just got a problem with rude people, sorry.
It ain't right. You can't treat people like ****.
I needed to fill my canteens up and you wouldn't let me?
You kicked me out of your shuttle truck to Davenport Gap cause I'm going to SBF.
No laundry cause I'm not staying there?
The list is long. Forget about it.
And for those that had a good time, guess what? your fellow hiker got screwed, but I guess thats o.k. for you, you got what you wanted.
Don't sugar coat this.
Hikers United My Pal

orangebug
09-25-2004, 14:47
Let me understand this, even though I don't know what SBF is. You didn't stay there and expected to use their laundry? You wanted water and they refused you? They were willing to give you a shuttle ride but put you out?

I'd even be surprised if Kincora or Miss Janet don't get complaints by someone each year.

I got what I paid for at MM's, Elmer's, Miss Janet's and even RSCG. What did you pay for that you didn't get?

smokymtnsteve
09-25-2004, 14:50
SBF=

http://standingbearfarm.tripod.com

SGT Rock
09-25-2004, 15:14
IMHO, even though I might not stay at a hostel, if I use some of their facilities I always throw some in the kitty.

MOWGLI
09-25-2004, 15:32
IMHO, even though I might not stay at a hostel, if I use some of their facilities I always throw some in the kitty.

Way too many hikers are cheap! At the facilities that have the honor system, some nights, the majority of the hikers fail to throw any money in the slot - and then they have te nerve to complain about a lack of services. That reminds me of a Lou Reed song.

"Americans don't care too much for beauty
they'll **** in a river, dump battery acid in a stream
They'll watch dead rats wash up on the beach
and complain if they can't swim"
~Lou Reed from Last Great American Whale~

smokymtnsteve
09-25-2004, 16:31

well Ms Thigpen might not care how much you would be willing to throw into the kitty,,,,she would be very likely to turn down $10 a load to wash clothes if you were'nt staying there,,,she is just like that. except for them hamburgers you carnivores like to eat, and breakfast in the AM, SBF is the more "hiker hostel" kind of place. Unless you are looking for on-site food service (or maybe coleman fuel) then I would suggest Standing Bear.

of course one other thing is that mtn momma has is more parking and is a good place to leave you car/truck.

SGT Rock
09-25-2004, 16:37
I've never been to Mtn Mommas, and she may be like that. I have heard about a few other places that are obnoxious to you if you use another place. MAYBE if they didn't have bad experiences with freeloaders in the past, some might not be that way. Hikers will reap what others before them have sown.

smokymtnsteve
09-25-2004, 16:49
Ms. Thigpen whom I have known for years thinks I'm a right nice feller,,,

Mtn. momma's store is not mainly a Hiker hostel business, hikers are just a side line to her, she is a mighty independent type, always has been even before SBF. ain't nobody ever "put anything over on these kinda folks" even before they owned Mtn Momma's.

Youngblood
09-25-2004, 19:36
...I needed to fill my canteens up and you wouldn't let me?
You kicked me out of your shuttle truck to Davenport Gap cause I'm going to SBF.
No laundry cause I'm not staying there?
The list is long. Forget about it.
And for those that had a good time, guess what? your fellow hiker got screwed, but I guess thats o.k. for you, you got what you wanted.
Don't sugar coat this.
Hikers United My Pal

Let's see... I believe there is a beautiful stream running behind the property and there is running water in the bathrooms.

SBF is not at Davenport Gap, it is at Green Corner Road. What did you want them to do, go way out of their way so you could do business with their competion after you had a run-in with them?

The laundry is a washer/dryer for use by those staying over (it wasn't working when I was there so I washed my laundry in the sink when I took a shower and rigged a clothes line).

Like I said before, sometimes the problem is our own expectations and/or attitude.

Youngblood

Percival
09-26-2004, 01:27
Tn 32 is a beautiful little dirt and gravel road../QUOTE]

[QUOTE=smokymtnsteve] one thing "better" about mtn mommas is the food service. Ms.Thigpen does does a real good job with the on site food service...
Take me home, country road
to the place, I belong
Mountain Mammas
real good burgers
take me home, country road

Jack Tarlin
09-26-2004, 18:39
Standing Bear Farm, in my opinion, is a unique place, and is absolutely one of the best Trail facilities to appear in recent years. The positive word-of-mouth from folks coming out of here is equal to only a handful of other places on the entire Trail.

Whether one is planning a section hike or a thru-hike in this area, I think you'd be crazy to miss out on SBF; likewise, if you were only going to visit, stay at, or re-supply at one place in this area, SBF is the one I'd chose.

I expect to be in this neck of the woods next spring (tho NOT thru-hiking!) and I would not consider missing Standing Bear Farm; in fact, if time permits I hope to zero for a day or two see what kind of projects Curtis has going on. SBF, very simply, is a really pleasant place to spend some time and I urge you all to check it out.

Uncle Wayne
09-27-2004, 01:10
I didn't mean to start a thread like this but I appreciate all the info / opinions. Lobo, Tripod and Smokymountainsteve gave me what I needed and that was directions to Mountain momma's. Thanks.
Actually I should have asked how do I get to the trail crossing at Davenport Gap from Gatlinburg which is what I really needed. That's where we start our next section going North. I just remember when we finished our hike through the Smokies last year and caught a ride at Davenport Gap, we went by Mountain Momma's on the way back to Gatlinburg. So I really asked the wrong question but got what I needed and more. Thanks to everyone who replied.

smokymtnsteve
09-27-2004, 09:25
Davenport gap is NOT a good place to leave an automobile. DO NOT leave a car there.

SouthMark
05-30-2006, 17:31
Standing Bear Farm, in my opinion, is a unique place, and is absolutely one of the best Trail facilities to appear in recent years. The positive word-of-mouth from folks coming out of here is equal to only a handful of other places on the entire Trail.

Whether one is planning a section hike or a thru-hike in this area, I think you'd be crazy to miss out on SBF; likewise, if you were only going to visit, stay at, or re-supply at one place in this area, SBF is the one I'd chose.

I expect to be in this neck of the woods next spring (tho NOT thru-hiking!) and I would not consider missing Standing Bear Farm; in fact, if time permits I hope to zero for a day or two see what kind of projects Curtis has going on. SBF, very simply, is a really pleasant place to spend some time and I urge you all to check it out.
I agree with this 100%. Stayed at SBF May 25th before being shuttled to Hot Springs. Absolutely wonderful experience. Curtis is a perect host and a wealth of information. Everything possible is done to make you feel welcome, as the signs say "Just make yourself at home". Stayed agian after hiking back from Hot Springs and plan on going back with my grandaughter for a rafting trip on the Pigeon River. You will not meet a nicer person or a more interesting one on the trail than Curtis.

Rebel, with a Cause!
05-31-2006, 08:17
I live near the Smokies and visit both often. In a comparison its a No Brainer

1: MM is 1.3 miles off the trail down a gravel road, SB is 200 yards off
2: MM food, selection is not what it used to be. Once great, now her shelves are almost bare. SB has limited supply however makes Daily runs to Walmart, etc.
3: MM does not really run a hostel, but has very small dirty quarters. SB is a very nice Hostel even to the point of a Couples Cabin.
4: When you reach MM you may find that you have NO shuttle to get back to the trail as the Thigpens decide when and where they want to run if ever. SB shuttles to Walmart, Mexican Resterant and even makes Beer runs Daily. No shuttle needed to get back on the trail as its right there
5: SB has internet, MM does not
6: SB has a Washer and Dryer, MM is rairly working

and Finally, MM does have 1/3 Lb Hamburgers and that, you all, is the ONLY reason to go there :)

I hope to Cya there one day,

Lone Wolf
05-31-2006, 08:26
You're typical of the new age AT hiker where you have multiple choices at every road crossing. I remember the days when no services were available in Davenport gap. I remember the days when there were very few hostels. Today's hikers are whiners and take too much for granted.

icemanat95
05-31-2006, 08:45
I suspect that little has really changed in attitude. I'm sure there were whiners on the train in the 70's and 80's. There certainly were in 1995 when I hiked, at times I was probably one of them.

I stayed at mountain Mamas for a couple of days waiting on a mail drop that didn't show up until a few days after I left. I was treated well. I paid my way. Mr. Thigpen offered me a ride into town to get some cash so I could continue my trip. I left him some money to return my mail drop if necessary. When I was in Hot Springs, he tracked me down at Wingfoot's house and gave me my money back as he didn't need it to return the package to sender. I call that good, honest service.

Mountain Mama's wouldn't have the problems it has if hikers were a bit neater. I watched a couple batches pass through in my time there and none of them left the place in as good or better shape than they found it. No-one swept out bunk houses, or cleaned out the shower. Trash wasn't contained or picked up. The one thing that did bother me was the overgrown poison ivy all around the bunkhouses and the riverbank. It made some of the area pretty unusable.

Hamburgers were great.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-31-2006, 11:05
I live near the Smokies and visit both often. In a comparison its a No Brainer - {see list above....} and Finally, MM does have 1/3 Lb Hamburgers and that, you all, is the ONLY reason to go there :)Thanks for a putting this into perspective.

I'm a section hiker and as such need a safe place to park in Davenport Gap. My only experience with MM was not a good one. I stopped in to ask if I could pay a fee to leave my car parked there and was told to get off the premises immediately. (Guess Mrs. Thigpen was having a bad day? Sounds like she and Mr. Thigpen have a lot of bad days - so many, in fact, that hikers would be wise to bypass this facility IMO)

I have no experience with SBF except that I drove out to it just to see where it was. No one appeared to be there that day. I was going to inquire if I could leave a car there. I have read since that this can be done and I likely will be going there when we hike that section of the trail.

Think I'll go to Wal-Mart, get some hamburger meat and make my own 1/3 lb burgers instead of gracing the Thigpen's door again. There is no excuse for being as rude as Mrs. Thigpen was to me.

sliderule
05-31-2006, 11:33
There is no excuse for being as rude as Mrs. Thigpen was to me.
I must have been lucky when I was there last fall. My son and I went to get a couple of Mountain Mamma's famous hamburgers. We went in and were totally ignored for 10 minutes by the lady behind the counter. She continually turned her back to us while she continued a clearly personal phone conversation.
We finally left without ever having our presence acknowleged. Certainly a unique approach to customer service!!!

SouthMark
05-31-2006, 12:17
I have no experience with SBF except that I drove out to it just to see where it was. No one appeared to be there that day. I was going to inquire if I could leave a car there. I have read since that this can be done and I likely will be going there when we hike that section of the trail.

There are signs posted at SBF "Just make yourself at home" and that is the philosphy of Maria and Curtis. Everything is on the honor system. I think that Curtis is a little uncomfortable when people try and give him money. There is a registration box with envelopes to put your money in for lodging, resupply, drinks, etc. You just keep up wih everything, and put your money in the box. When I arrived at SBF, I tried to pay Curtis for our lodging and shuttle service but he said just put it in the box whenever you are ready. We even put a load of clothes in the washer before going to a restaurant and Curtis had already dried them when we returned. If you can find any better service within 200 yards of the trail, I want to know.

SouthMark
05-31-2006, 12:22
"I have no experience with SBF except that I drove out to it just to see where it was. No one appeared to be there that day. I was going to inquire if I could leave a car there. I have read since that this can be done and I likely will be going there when we hike that section of the trail."

These first lines from my above post were supposed to be a quote from Frolicking Dinosour.

John B
05-31-2006, 12:35
I've never been to Mountain Mama's, but I've heard enough from people whom I trust to know that I won't be going there. I have, however, been to Standing Bear twice -- both times using it as a base from which to do section hikes. I found Standing Bear to be excellent and well worth the small charge to stay and use the facilities. The bunkhouse is comfortable, the cabin is great (literally built across a creek), there are two HOT water showers, another building holds a kitchen, another a washer/dryer, and I found the resupply building to be more than adequate. Everything is done on the honor system and hikers are made to feel welcome and appreciated, and in turn I've found that hikers greatly appreciate Standing Bear and don't take it for granted.

That's my .02 worth.

mrc237
05-31-2006, 19:20
While at MM's in 00' the lights were not working in one of the showers. My hiking partner was an electrician and offered his services for a stay in one of their bunkhouses. At first they were in total agreement then the stay thing got in the way. MM "John will get around to it". He could busy himself for a few years getting "aroundtuit".

Lilred
05-31-2006, 19:53
I loved my stay at SBF. Took 2 zeros there waiting for the downpouring rain to stop. Asked Curtis if he had any work for stay and said sure, change the sheets on the other double bed in the cottage and I'll take ten bucks off for the night. Talk about generous. I washed, dried, folded and put them away too, along with dusting the cottage. Staying there is like taking a step back in time, except of course for the Internet service......

mingo
05-31-2006, 20:33
i've never had any problems at mtn mammas, but then i just go in there and buy whatever and don't expect them to do anything special for me. curtis is a great guy too over at standing bear.

to get back to the original question, to find mtn mammas just follow the smell of delicious greasy cheeseburgers.

LEGS
06-01-2006, 00:08
You're typical of the new age AT hiker where you have multiple choices at every road crossing. I remember the days when no services were available in Davenport gap. I remember the days when there were very few hostels. Today's hikers are whiners and take too much for granted.

AMEN ,LW,I

LEGS
06-01-2006, 00:09
AMEN ,LW,I
AGREE! OOPS

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-01-2006, 06:09
::: totally off topic :::
LWolf, Legs, and other long-time thru hikers, would you guys mind starting a thread about what it was like to hike the trail before all the hostels, shuttles, etc were in place. I'd love to hear your stories.
:::end of threadjack :::

cls
06-11-2006, 16:02
I stayed at SBF on my thru this year. If I ever go through there again I will skip SBF and MM and go on to Hot Springs. SBF wants $15 a night. For that you get no electricity in shower room. No electricity in privy which is an outhouse like you find at shelters. Computer was not working when I was there. Did not see laundry facilities and was not told about them. Privy, showers, and kitchen are all in seperate buildings from bunkhouse requiring a walk outside. Compare SBF with Kincora where only a donation is requested. If SBF is a good value for $15 then Bob should not be ashamed of asking $30 a night at Kincora.