PDA

View Full Version : What else should you learn before hiking?

Doctari
02-15-2010, 18:18
Sure, there is the: how do I set up my shelter, how do I prepare my food, what to eat, gear, compass / map reading & stuff.
BUT, what else should you learn pre-hike? I am a tree person & am always upset when I can’t ID a species. I also like knowing Birds & other Critters, Plants, Rocks, etc. Yet I rarely know this stuff. I have tried books, & they help,,,, some. So I am going to keep trying to learn this stuff.

Do you “study” before a long hike? Any suggestions for other topics you wish you had learned, or did learn? I play the flute, so spend a few hours a week practicing on that.

Re-list & other topics:
Identification; Trees, Plants, Mosses & Lichens, Birds, Lizards, Reptiles, Rocks, Geology, Wild edibles. etc.
History of the area.
Extra stuff to see not in the guidebooks.
Extra stuff to do not in the guidebooks.
“Primitive” techniques: Fire starting with flint & steel, etc.
Poetry, tall tales, other history, novels, trail journals, etc.
Gourmet cooking.
Music.

What else?

JustaTouron
02-15-2010, 18:20
I would add first aid to that list. Umm... might even put it on the top of the list.

Rocket Jones
02-15-2010, 18:23
Knots. Ten or twelve basics and a few specialty that might come in handy.

1azarus
02-15-2010, 18:26
I study white blaze!

Slo-go'en
02-15-2010, 18:40
Learn to fall down with out hurting yourself!

Mrs Baggins
02-15-2010, 18:50
The mental aspect. What I tell people now is this: I read every single book I could find. We watched every single video. We did short sections. We believed we "knew" the trail. We were so wrong. My own feet took us off the trail after just 70 miles, but we were being beaten down long before then just by the mental aspect. It was one thing to go out for a two or three days because we KNEW it was only two or three days. But to set out for 6 months........that changed everything and we were completely unprepared for that. Now we know. If we attempt it again we'll be far better prepared. People can say "it's only walking" and "it's just 180 day hikes" but it's not. That's all nice and easy sounding but when you're exhausted and in pain and you're thinking that you have 5 or 6 months of this ahead of you...........get that in your head now. There is no book and no video that will do that for you.

modiyooch
02-15-2010, 18:59
rock climbing

Doctari
02-15-2010, 19:13
I would add first aid to that list. Umm... might even put it on the top of the list.

Duhh! I live first aid every day, don't even think about it anymore. Thanks for the reminder. Yes, that should be first (second & third) on the list!!

emerald
02-15-2010, 19:59
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4914753/k.C511/History.htm (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4914753/k.C511/History.htm)

4shot
02-15-2010, 20:24
The mental aspect. What I tell people now is this: I read every single book I could find. We watched every single video. We did short sections. We believed we "knew" the trail. We were so wrong.

I too have done all the preparation as advised by the experts and all the books. With that said, what I have never done in my life until this year is set off on a 5-6 month hike. I am aware of the low odds (fortunately or unfortunately I am not yet sure) but I AM grateful for this one opportunity. Thanks for posting. I have heard from the ones who did it, what's rare is to hear from those who didn't and why.

SawnieRobertson
02-15-2010, 20:27
Duhh! I live first aid every day, don't even think about it anymore. Thanks for the reminder. Yes, that should be first (second & third) on the list!!
Excellent answer to your own question. Woofer classes are still doable before most people start, and they could help you be able to tell people what to do to help you in case you are injured rather than being subjected to what they think they saw on some ER episode. Also, the rock climbing. Things happen. A little knowledge can be great protection.--Kinnickinic

emerald
02-15-2010, 20:46
People can say "it's only walking" and "it's just 180 day hikes" but it's not. That's all nice and easy sounding, but, when you're exhausted and in pain and you're thinking that you have 5 or 6 months of this ahead of you, ...

you're likely to quit.

Since you know you can hike 6 months only one step at a time and sleep comes easily to one who's walked all day and whose mind's at ease, why not deal with tomorrow when it comes? The pain may go away while you sleep and who knows what tomorrow will bring?

jnl82381
02-15-2010, 20:49
woofer = WFR = Wilderness First Responder

for anyone who isn't familiar with the term. I've taken the course and it's awesome. definitally worth the time and money.

Hooch
02-15-2010, 21:02
Adding to the thought that first aid should be high on the priority list of backwoods skills to have, put CPR high on that list as well. CPR isn't necessarily always taught as part of basic first aid classes, but should be something that everyone knows.

Roland
02-15-2010, 21:02
woofer = WFR = Wilderness First Responder

for anyone who isn't familiar with the term. I've taken the course and it's awesome. definitally worth the time and money.

Must be a regional expression. I completed the course and never heard the term "woofer".

fiddlehead
02-15-2010, 21:38
Geography and History.
I like to study an area I'm going into on maps or Google Earth.
Learn some history of the area and possibly even some geology.

For instance, when I hiked in the Bitteroots, I read Lewis and Clark's journals.
When i hiked in the Pyrenees, I studied some Spanish and French history of the area.
Here in Thailand, I've been reading about the tin mining that went on 60-100 years ago.

Lots of history along the AT.

JustaTouron
02-15-2010, 21:47
Adding to the thought that first aid should be high on the priority list of backwoods skills to have, put CPR high on that list as well. CPR isn't necessarily always taught as part of basic first aid classes, but should be something that everyone knows.

While it is useful in general, I would not put high on the specific hiker need to know list.

CPR is great for keeping people alive for 10-15 mins until the ambulance gets there. But odds are if you need to administer CPR until rescue can arrive on the scene in the backwoods measured in hours instead of minutes the chances of surival are limited. And how often do people have heart attacks on the AT?

I would consider these skills more important:

Repair ones own blisters. (while not life threating the odds of need are pretty high)
Treating burns. (idiots with matches, stoves and camp fires make the likelihood of this injury pretty high)
Stopping bleeding.
Treating shock.
Treating hyperthemermia
treating frostbite (not needed if you only hike in warm weather)

While it is a good idea to know how do cpr or clear someone's air ways when choking is nice to know what is the odds someone is gonna choke on hiker food. People choke on steak, not instant oatmeal and ramon noodles. Likewise with making brace so someone can walk with a broken leg. Bad idea. Keep the person comfortable. Send someone for help, let the experts help the victim to safety on a stretcher.

I am not saying don't learn CPR or take Wilderness First Responder, more just saying there are some basics that are more important than CPR that plenty of hikers don't know.

berkshirebirder
02-15-2010, 21:58
I agree that first aid should be at the top of a hiker's list of skills. Some people, like myself, might benefit from an orienteering session.

To me, hiking is an opportunity to observe and learn about plants and animals. I don't think this is something you can learn well in the few months leading up to a long hike, although you can certainly learn to recognize a number of common species that way.

It takes time. Start by taking walks in your own area, spending a few minutes observing details of the most common plants and animals you see. Train your powers of observation. What color is the flower and how big is it? How many petals does it have? How tall is the plant? What size are the leaves? Are the leaves across from each other or staggered along the stem? Take notes and/or a photo if possible. Then try to ID it at home using a field guide.

Eventually, you'll be able to recognize common species quickly and unfamiliar ones will stand out, making the job much easier.

Also, nature centers in major parks and Audubon sanctuaries have all sorts of nature programs--general nature walks, tracking, wildflower walks, etc. These programs often are free, or there may be a small charge.

Hooch
02-15-2010, 22:01
While it is useful in general, I would not put high on the specific hiker need to know list.

CPR is great for keeping people alive for 10-15 mins until the ambulance gets there. But odds are if you need to administer CPR until rescue can arrive on the scene in the backwoods measured in hours instead of minutes the chances of surival are limited. And how often do people have heart attacks on the AT?

I would consider these skills more important:

Repair ones own blisters. (while not life threating the odds of need are pretty high)
Treating burns. (idiots with matches, stoves and camp fires make the likelihood of this injury pretty high)
Stopping bleeding.
Treating shock.
Treating hyperthemermia
treating frostbite (not needed if you only hike in warm weather)

While it is a good idea to know how do cpr or clear someone's air ways when choking is nice to know what is the odds someone is gonna choke on hiker food. People choke on steak, not instant oatmeal and ramon noodles. Likewise with making brace so someone can walk with a broken leg. Bad idea. Keep the person comfortable. Send someone for help, let the experts help the victim to safety on a stretcher.

I am not saying don't learn CPR or take Wilderness First Responder, more just saying there are some basics that are more important than CPR that plenty of hikers don't know.
Respectfully, I disagree with you. CPR should be very high on the list of backcountry skills anyone has along with first aid. While full-blown CPR may not be necessary in the backcountry, you never know when it will come in handy in daily life. Learning how to clear a foreign body airway obstruction is one of the core skills in American Heart Association CPR training and could be something that could prove to be a useful, lifesaving skill at home or in the backcountry. You never know what or when someone is going to get something stuck in their airway. Being able to clear it is literally a matter of life and death. That said, I'd encourage everyone who hasn't taken a CPR class to do so as soon as possible. Personally, I'm a nurse, so my AHA Healthcare Provider card stays current all the time.

JustaTouron
02-15-2010, 22:04
Respectfully, I disagree with you. CPR should be very high on the list of backcountry skills anyone has along with first aid. While full-blown CPR may not be necessary in the backcountry, you never know when it will come in handy in daily life. Learning how to clear a foreign body airway obstruction is one of the core skills in American Heart Association CPR training and could be something that could prove to be a useful, lifesaving skill at home or in the backcountry. You never know what or when someone is going to get something stuck in their airway. Being able to clear it is literally a matter of life and death. That said, I'd encourage everyone who hasn't taken a CPR class to do so as soon as possible. Personally, I'm a nurse, so my AHA Healthcare Provider card stays current all the time.

BTW - I am not anti-CPR. I have taken the class (although I should take a refresher its been a while). But I actually think it is more important in "normal" life/home than on the trail.

Appalachian Tater
02-15-2010, 22:14
BTW - I am not anti-CPR. I have taken the class (although I should take a refresher its been a while). But I actually think it is more important in "normal" life/home than on the trail.

Yup. On the trail if it's not just a choking or airway problem, they're dead.

I wish I had known a little more about the geology of the Appalachians, more so than the flora and fauna.

sbhikes
02-15-2010, 22:16
I studied Ray Jardine's Beyond Backpacking. Perhaps Mrs. Baggins could benefit from it, too. I can't imagine feeling that exhausted unless I was completely out of shape or else carrying way too much pack weight.

emerald
02-15-2010, 22:21
Lots of history along the AT.

A.T. hikers who read History as a mystery (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=35528) will learn all kinds of things they never knew about Pennsylvania.

Doctari
02-15-2010, 23:02
The mental aspect. What I tell people now is this: I read every single book I could find. We watched every single video. We did short sections. We believed we "knew" the trail. We were so wrong.

I agree. There isn't really anything other than a long hike on the AT to prepare you for a long hike on the AT. My thoughts are for stuff that can make your experience, , , , , , , Fuller. Even if just a little bit. Maybe make the mental aspect, easier?

Lets face it, long days of hiking long miles can be, well, BORING! Right foot, Left foot, Right foot, Left foot, etc. If every now & then you can say: Hey, that tree is a Sycamore, or there goes a slate colored Junco (a bird), or Look, Squaw root, life on the trail can be more interesting. My "Springer rock" oddly enough, is a piece of Iron Pyrite. I don't know how it got on Springer, but there it was, about 3' from the plaque.

Nope, not going to tell you what Iron Pyrite is. See, isn't this fun. :p

sasquatch2014
02-15-2010, 23:44
Some Random Songs. these can be a great source of entertainment for hours if not days on the trail. so if you fall and start to choke but someone clears your airway only to find that you have broken your leg and you need to lay there until help comes tomorrow you can lay there and focus on the lyrics of the song wrapped in your sleeping bag to avoid going into shock. See Music is really important keep music in our schools.:D

XCskiNYC
02-16-2010, 00:47
Shakespeare is good to memorize too. "Oh that this too too solid flesh would melt, thaw, and resolve itself into a dew......." I can do that as far as Frailty, thy name is woman!

Supposedly theater in general and Shakespeare in particular were such widespread and popular entertainments in the 19th century that the 49'ers would amuse themselves sitting around the campfire by taking turns spontaneously reciting lines from the Bard's plays.

But besides learning birds, animals, trees, and plants (all I know is Leaflets three/Let it be) I'd vote for history and geology as two subjects that would probably enrich a long hike.

Mrs. Baggins, that was very cool to post on the challenges of thru-hiking. Everybody loves to brag about the successful hikes, but not enough have the gumption to share about failures, which is a shame because they tend to be far more instructive than when things go well.

jrwiesz
02-16-2010, 05:45
...My "Springer rock" oddly enough, is a piece of Iron Pyrite. I don't know how it got on Springer, but there it was, about 3' from the plaque...

Perhaps, someone left it there after their MEGA hike? :sun

fredmugs
02-16-2010, 07:21
There was an older thread about pain in the middle of your feet and one person commented that at the end of each day he would grab the toes on each foot and pull them back for several minutes each night to relieve the pressure. I now do that at the end of all my hikes and even my workouts along with messaging my feet. It does seem to help.

sasquatch2014
02-16-2010, 10:59
There was an older thread about pain in the middle of your feet and one person commented that at the end of each day he would grab the toes on each foot and pull them back for several minutes each night to relieve the pressure. I now do that at the end of all my hikes and even my workouts along with messaging my feet. It does seem to help.

how to do acupuncture with a spork. Now that would be a skill!:eek:

buz
02-16-2010, 11:09
I think Mrs. B's post was way good, you can have all the right gear, great outdoor knowledge, etc, but the brain needs to be able to get you thru a long hike. Not sure how you prep for that, kinda an individual thing, but I would say many fail because this area is one they can't overcome.

Newb
02-16-2010, 12:27
Beer nomad skills are a must.

Blissful
02-16-2010, 12:33
Some good ideas. Loved the rock climbing and falling down prep

If there was a mental exercise prep, that would be good. Really, the best prep is just to make up your mind you're going to do it and get out there. Experience it day by day. And grow from that.

Mags
02-16-2010, 13:14
I can't help but agree with Diane....

MrsB, if you are in pain and miserable for the first few days or weeks of hiking, then your pack was probably too heavy or (more than likely) you have not been in the shape you thought you were in to start.

What should you know before hiking the AT? Well, go out and BACKPACK. Dial in your gear before the big event. A few weekends here and there (and, if time permits, a week or two of a trip) will get you more prepared for hiking on the AT than any amount of reading, videos, books,etc. You'll quickly realize what gear and style of hiking works for YOU. Far easier to dial all this gear and style of hiking in 2-3 hrs (or less) from your home than the first week of a big, multi-month, hike.

And, for not only the well being of your hike, but for your overall health, put down the keyboard, stop watching Dumb Generic American Sitcoms for one hour and exercise. Don't have to be in marathon shape, but 3 hrs a week is going to wonders for your overall health and when you go on weekend backpacks to get ready for the AT (see above!).

So, read books on flowers, study first aid..but the first thing you should know if you actually enjoy HIKING all day..and that can be found out best on weekend backpacking trips (with more hiking and less camping..you know, like the AT. ;) ) and if you are in decent shape to enjoy it.

russb
02-16-2010, 14:03
Along the theme of fun things to study like rocks, flora and fauna, I would suggest a bit of astronomy. While you will likely be sleeping most of the time it is dark, the stars,planets, etc... are really amazing out in the backcountry away from the city lights. Sometimes it is difficult to find the common constellations due so many visible stars. Knowing the first stars to appear/where and what else is around can make stargazing that much more enjoyable. Oh, a star map is a single page of paper. my $.02

Mrs Baggins
02-16-2010, 14:18
I can't help but agree with Diane....

MrsB, if you are in pain and miserable for the first few days or weeks of hiking, then your pack was probably too heavy or (more than likely) you have not been in the shape you thought you were in to start.

Oh I was absolutely carrying too much weight. That in turn started my arches collapsing (according to the orthopedic doctor I went to later) and once that started there was no stopping it. The pain was unbearable. Overall I was in excellent shape and had zero other physical problems. I've since learned how to "build" my own orthotics (won't pay $300 for them again) and I never have that pain anymore. This was not something changing insoles or buying Super Feet would fix. I tried that at Mt Crossings. The pain got worse. Now I know what I did wrong. My pack weight has dropped 12 lbs and I can go all day - though me and long steep ups still don't get along. :eek: But that's another story.

Montana AT05
02-16-2010, 15:20
Apart from gear selection and physical preparation, I agree with others in this thread--mental preparation is key.

Personally I think this is nothing more than acknowledging that a long hike is not a weekend trip--you will get tired, bone-weary tired. Sore. Bored. Irritated and ready to return to "normalcy".

Mental toughness is more important than physical toughness.

Sure--you can't thru hike on a broken ankle. But you don't have to be in peak physical condition to do so--but you need to be mentally tough.

Remember, a thru-hike's trials and tribulations are temporary, but the result of seeing them through is permanent.

Bare Bear
02-16-2010, 17:11
"Slow down and enjoy it son." Model T and Ranger Dog in 2006......
still the best Trail advice I ever got that I wasn't smart enough to follow THEN, but I do now. I still hope to someday go back and do it again at 15 miles per day, no more.

Tenderheart
02-16-2010, 17:23
I couldn't wait to get to the libraries along the way and identify all the wildflowers that I was passing each day. The best reference for me was National Audubon Wildflowers of Eastern America. I think that's the correct title. This will simply enhance your hike, but is certainly not required. The average thru-hiker knows little about nature or even the outdoors, or so I have read.

litefoot 2000

Jack Tarlin
02-16-2010, 17:26
Learn some simple sewing techniques.

I've witnessed hikers taking two hours to repair something that should have taken them less than ten minutes.

Field repair (of gear and clothing) is usually pretty simple. A good sized needle; thread (or dental floss); a few large safety pins; some extra parachute cord; and extra duct tape should slove all sorts of problems.

garlic08
02-16-2010, 19:12
Ditto all the above, especially physical fitness and preparation for the activity. If you're fit and ready to hike, it's amazing how well it goes and how little really goes wrong.

I took a wilderness survival course in Boulder years ago, and I would recommend something like that for everyone. The most important thing it taught was how to use your head, the most powerful tool you have. I learned how important it is to not get lost or in trouble in the first place. But stuff happens, and we learned what simple tools and skills are handy for signaling your location to searchers, building shelter, or even building and stocking a solar still in the desert. Final exam and graduation were building and spending a night in a snow cave.

Fun thread.

Pacific Tortuga
02-16-2010, 19:21

Just hope the idiot working on you doesn't start with a pre-cordial thump. :eek: