PDA

View Full Version : Tent Stakes.

mykl
02-15-2010, 18:56
Looking for opinions on the best type and brand of stakes to use for a non free standing tent.
Also, what is the difference between Y and V stakes (besides shape)?

Wrangler88
02-15-2010, 19:03
I like these:
They're really light and pretty tough. I've used them for a tarptent and tarp.
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/easton_stakes.html

These are a bit lighter but I've never used them.
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/tite_lite_stakes_each.html

ChinMusic
02-15-2010, 19:03
I have been happy with the standard MSR Ground Hog stakes:
http://www.rei.com/product/682543 They have been bulletproof to date.

Something a bit longer may help with my Lunar Solo to improve ventilation.

garlic08
02-15-2010, 19:08
I like these:
They're really light and pretty tough. I've used them for a tarptent and tarp.
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/easton_stakes.html

These are a bit lighter but I've never used them.
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/tite_lite_stakes_each.html

I use both of those. I've managed to pull the heads off a couple of the nail type, fixed easily enough in the field though. They're the best for pounding in. The titanium "shepherd's crook" style is the most reliable I've found. I carry two 8" nails and four 6" crooks.

Tinker
02-15-2010, 19:27
The ti shepherd's hook stakes are good for rocky ground or clay. Other than that they don't have much holding power because of their small cross section. Putting a rock on top of them helps, but I've reverted to the hex shepherd's stakes made by Kelty ("No bendium" - very strong solid aluminum with more holding power).
For the ends of my tarp I use MSR Groundhogs.
The "Y" stakes are a little stronger than the "V" stakes, but holding power is about equal (It's about the surface area of the stake). I find the loops on the Groundhogs to be incredibly helpful for removing them (I use one of the shepherd's hook stakes for this).

Franco
02-15-2010, 19:28
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Stakes.jpg
The Y stakes are considered to be the most versatile and are provably the strongest design. They are the only ones that I have not bent/damaged so far.
Mostly I use the Easton long stakes now (but have with me a couple of Ti nail stakes and at least two Y stakes) but I suggest to add some glue were the stake is inserted in the head because it can come apart when you pull them out.
I would also recommend the longer 9" types.
Franco

brooklynkayak
02-15-2010, 19:35
My experience:
The "Y" stakes are stronger and grab better than "V's", but are also heavier.

I sometimes carry one or two of each, combined with the ultralight titanium shepherds hooks. I do this in hopes of being able to keep the weight down but still have at least a few stakes for soft ground.

Keep in mind, that found objects can work as well if not better, but are less convenient.
I've used found sticks and rocks and find they work as well, if not better in some cases, but are less convenient.

VTATHiker
02-15-2010, 19:57
I have a tarptent and I use a combo of MSR needle stakes (~4-5) and groundhogs (~2). The needle stakes are a bit weak on holding power but you can get away with using just those. (Especially if you have some rocks around to put on top). The groundhogs are strong but I hate to bring a whole bunch of them (because of weight) - especially since I got myself a nice, light Henry Shires tent.

I think those blue nail stakes are terrible... pulled the top off of 3 out of 4 of em' the first time out. Partly my fault since I sent them deep into solid ground....but why make a stake out of two parts?!?!

Franco
02-15-2010, 20:42
" I think those blue nail stakes are terrible... pulled the top off of 3 out of 4 of em' the first time out"

That never happened to me with the short type but fairly early with the long ones. So I glued that part on all of them. The early ones had superglue, these ones have hot glue. They all work now (so far...)
What I like on them is the holding power for the weight and are easy to push in /bang in. But I have managed to destroy a few ,mostly user error (IE side way hit with a rock...)
Franco
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/odds/Glued-stakes.jpg

Rocket Jones
02-15-2010, 20:46
I'm surprised hot glue would work for that, especially since summer heat can and will weaken it. If the insert is rough enough (or you can file some rough spots into it), a little JB Weld or epoxy putty would work much better. The hold with any of these adhesives is mechanical, so the rougher the better. Tiny drilled holes would be best of all. The stake would fail before the epoxy.

Franco
02-15-2010, 21:59
I have no idea how many times I have used the ones I have hot glued ( I have over 100 stakes...) but the ones I superglued a few years ago have been used many times. I did some with the superglue because I was doing something else with the glue gun .
The ones that had come apart have glue squirted inside the head and then the tube pushed in.

The pic was more to show were to glue than what type of glue to use .
Franco
A few weeks ago I hot glued the handle of a pot. (sounded like a good idea to me at the time as I was fixing a hole in my Exped pillow/pump) The first time I used it the handle of course melted away. ...

garlic08
02-16-2010, 01:21
My fix for nail heads that come off is mechanical. I crimp them in the field with a judicious, calibrated rock hit. Instant, permanent fix.

Tipi Walter
02-16-2010, 02:01
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Stakes.jpg
The Y stakes are considered to be the most versatile and are provably the strongest design. They are the only ones that I have not bent/damaged so far.
Mostly I use the Easton long stakes now (but have with me a couple of Ti nail stakes and at least two Y stakes) but I suggest to add some glue were the stake is inserted in the head because it can come apart when you pull them out.
I would also recommend the longer 9" types.
Franco

This is a great fotog showing most of the usable tent pegs out there. I just got back from a frigid winter trip where I spent 15 days camping on frozen ground and here's where stake choice rears its ugly head. A run down:

** First of all, in frozen ground a tent peg needs to be hammered in but not too deep. Just enough to hold the tent. (In a big blow hammer them in and in the morning use hot water to remove, etc).

** Shepherd crooks are definitely the easiest to remove of the pegs shown above(except for the snow stakes). You can twist and spin them free(I broke 2 this way so always carry extra).

** Hilleberg now comes with Y pegs(1800 tents)and V pegs(1200 tents)and I found them to be the worst for frozen ground. Why? Well, they hammer in great but their greater surface area makes them impossible to remove and they cannot be spun like the crook stakes. I bent one and broke another trying to get them out. I won't use them for winter camping.

** The big nail Pro Pegs are near excellent although they are hollow and will bend and break on occasion. Once again, they cannot be spun like the crook pegs but they are easier to remove from frozen ground than the Y pegs.

** Another big drawback to the Y and V pegs? They're hell on the hands putting in and removing, much worst than the crooks and the Pro Peg nails. The fancy drawcord loops on all the stakes will break easily when pulling up from frozen ground, etc.

** For three season use none of the above matters, just use what you like and want to carry, although the Y and V are still tough on the palm of the hand for pushing in, and as everyone says, don't trip on one in bare feet.

I have never tried the titanium Pro Pegs/nails. Do they bend and/or break? BTW, there are different quality versions of the shepherd crooks: the above one looks like the cheaper version, more bendable. Some are very stiff and strong, others not so much. And I've never tried the titanium needle crooks, either.

Franco
02-16-2010, 02:31
Not sure I would trust Garlic with removing a spider stuck on my hair or something like that...

Tipi Walter
From memory my V stakes came with a 4 season Bibler. I bent a couple on somewhat soft ground...
The aluminium shepherd crooks are totally useless. I have convinced Luxe to stop selling them with their better shelters (IE non fiberglass poles and that)
The red Y are my suggested replacement (although I prefer the longer ones...)
The thinner Ti shepherd crooks (IMHO) are only for side guylines , I would not trust them in the open as the main ones.
(if you want to amuse yourself have a look at the 1-2g version that Terra Nova includes with their light shelters...)
Removing those Y stakes tends to be done by me by kicking one that is somewhat already loose , pull that out and then use that to remove the others . Cutting oneself doing this (when cold) is not too difficult.
Those pull cord work well for me on non frozen ground.
BTW, thanks for your "hands on" info...
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/odds/Nail-stake.jpg

This is a shot of the head of one of those "unbreakable" Ti nail stake.
(the white cord is because that is what I had when I got them. Red or Treaptease is a better idea)
Franco

Rocket Jones
02-16-2010, 07:03
This has been an informative thread. Thanks everyone for the great posts.

buz
02-16-2010, 11:03
I would add, as a different sort of stake, 7" aluminum gutter nails, commonly found at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. They are tough, can be pounded in, have a nice point on them, have a head on them for removing, and pretty cheap. Compared to some other stake prices, really cheap. Weight is the same as the easton ones.

mykl
02-16-2010, 11:12
Yea, good replies and pix, thanx!
MSR tents come with some nice stakes. The red, aluminum square ones. Didn't expect to get some descent stakes with a tent. But then again, maybe I'm just thinking about what Eureka gives you....garbage.

Bags4266
02-16-2010, 12:59
If you go to the Hammock Forum Store they sell MSR stakes style stakes for $1.99 for two. Wether they are of they same material (metal as msr I don't know) they are 1/2 shorter and lighter than the MSR.

Bags4266
02-16-2010, 13:00
opps one to many stakes!

Medic!
02-21-2010, 02:10
[QUOTE=VTATHiker;971077]I have a tarptent and I use a combo of MSR needle stakes (~4-5) and groundhogs (~2). The needle stakes are a bit weak on holding power but you can get away with using just those. (Especially if you have some rocks around to put on top). The groundhogs are strong but I hate to bring a whole bunch of them (because of weight) - especially since I got myself a nice, light Henry Shires tent.
QUOTE]

I carry about the same stakes for my tent, REI quarterdome UL. (planning an upgrade to TT Contrail). Four of the REI version of the groundhog stakes for the corners, plus MSR Needle stakes for guying out.

Highstepper
05-29-2010, 20:04
"I think those blue nail stakes are terrible... pulled the top off of 3 out of 4 of em' the first time out"

I repaired the loose caps on mine by drilling a hole thru both cap and stake, then installing the pull cord. I did this to all of mine even though the some had caps hadn't pulled off yet.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/8/0/7/stake_repair.jpg

WalksInDark
07-17-2010, 22:47
I am a fan of MSR ground hogs...and the Kelty Nobendums as well.

Other than the shepards hooks, I either replace the factory draw cord with some of my VERY BRIGHTLY COLORED sailing spectra line and/or drill holes in stakes that don't have draw cord openings...ditto on the spectra line.

I can't tell you how many stakes I have saved since I went to the really bright draw cord, but it is a lot.

mykl
07-18-2010, 18:49
I purchased a few different stakes this year to try, and the winner for me is the Kelty Nobendums, hands down. The Sierra Designs version of them are great as well. MSR Groundhogs and Needles are cool, but the Kelty ones are my favs.

jen.sprout
07-19-2010, 18:53
Great thread! Every year I think I need to change stakes and I'm still on the fence. Thanks for picture - I think I own almost everything shown in it!

Like many other posters, I've used a combination (including the snow/sand stakes on the left hand side of the picture).

I have mostly used Ti-shepard's hooks for east coast or non-sand west coast three-season hiking: a 7-inch, thicker gage version for my main tent stakes and the lighter 6-inch, thinner gage version for guylines. The thing I like best about them is that even if you bend them (which does happen), you can find some rocks and fix that - I've done it numerous times.

I can't remember where I got them - it's been a few years. The ones I'm seeing online now are mostly the lighter gage. The 6-inch ones that I have are too thin for the "main" stakes - bend to easily. If I remember where I got mine, I'll post.

I thought about going back to the Easton aluminums, but I didn't know about the issue of the heads coming off. I used these years ago and didn't have this problem. Thanks for the heads up! (no pun intended).

Tinker
07-19-2010, 21:12
In the winter you can heat up your stakes near a fire or in boiling water (I don't think I would want to drink the water, but it would be fine for washing up). If you use gloves you can heat them nearly red hot and they will push right into icy ground. This doesn't work as well if the ground is full of frost - it is crumbly and doesn't hold a peg well. In that case use a stick with the line tied around it and put a rock on top of it.

chris948
07-20-2010, 13:41
http://www.rei.com/product/709915

Used those for the last 4 years. (I don't through hike or anything) They've withstood Alaska mountains and all over the southeast AT and still look brand new.

I'm careful with them, have never been anywhere where a hammer or rock or a real pounding was necessary. If I hit a rock, I usually just move over a couple of inches.

I like them, and they're so light I can look at a tents "packed weight" and think I'll be less than that, and smile.