PDA

View Full Version : BMT Thru Hike

restlesss
02-15-2010, 19:18
Do you think it is possible to Thru Hike the BMT in 10 days?

Hikerhead
02-15-2010, 19:30
if you can do 10, 30 mile days. yes

Phreak
02-15-2010, 19:41

Yeah, its doable but it wont be easy. Its a tough trail.

Tennessee Viking
02-15-2010, 20:38
Remember its no AT. Its a little more rugid. Not as accessible. Re-supplying is tougher. You will probably have to have caches stashed or have support along the way.

And with all the recent weather its mucky yucky conditions with lots of blowdowns.

Ox97GaMe
02-15-2010, 21:45
you would have to be in pretty good hiking shape to do the trip in 10 days. 30 mile days will not be easy over that terrain. There isnt much ridgerunning on that trail. you are either going up, or going down along most of its route. A typical 30 mile stretch on the BMT would include at least 2 2500 ft climbs. some of the climbs are at or above 3500 ft elevation change.

Outside the Smokies, you have the option of stopping when you get to your 30 mile distance. In the Smokies however, you will be restricted by the requirement to stay in backcounty campsites. This may dictate at least one day a lot longer than 30 mile.

The year after I finished my thru hike, I did the GA section of the BMT in 5 days. I thought I was in pretty good shape after doing several 30+ milers on the AT. 20-25 mile days along the BMT were plenty enough for me.

SGT Rock
02-15-2010, 22:18
The fastest I've ever heard of anyone doing it is 6 days and that guys is a hiking machine. The kind of guy that does the entire Smokies in 24 hours. Matt Kirk aka Sweeper

http://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/departments/all-by-himself-fastpacker-sets-speed-record-on-benton-mackaye-trail/

Personally, if I had 10 days, I would probably do from Tellico River Road to Davenport Gap which is about 136 miles. It covers some of the most remote parts of the BMT and has some of my favorite stretches, but also has easy to find trail heads at both ends. That would be about 8 full 15 mile days which is good mileage to walk while still leaving time to dawdle and explore, and two 7.5 mile days on each end to allow for getting on and off.

restlesss
02-16-2010, 02:40
I really want to do a thru hike of the BMT probably have to wait til next year. I have a couple of months to decide i guess. thanks again.

SGT Rock
02-16-2010, 12:46
Just my personal opinion or estimate, but it should take about 21 days to do a BMT thru hike at a fairly "normal" pace. So if you are looking at doing it in one shot, that is about how much time you should try to schedule for it.

Mags
02-16-2010, 12:58
I did in 14 days and that included starting the Springer Mtn approach trail at 4pm and a small chunk of AT (~ 3 miles) for "bonus miles". It was done when it was dark about 6pm. I'm also a reasonably experienced backpacker who enjoys hiking all day.

Take that for what it is worth....

Tipi Walter
02-16-2010, 13:11

Why not jog and do it in 5 or 6 days?

SGT Rock
02-16-2010, 13:13
Why not jog and do it in 5 or 6 days?

Ouch. I'd rather do it in about 30. And do it when it is warm. Lots of cool spots to stop and enjoy playing around in water or taking sun naps in fields. Unlike when I did it in Jan/Feb.

If you go out for that kind of weather better to pack like you Walter and make snowmen.:sun

Tipi Walter
02-16-2010, 14:06
If you go out for that kind of weather better to pack like you're Walter and make snowmen.:sun

Wow, it's funny you say this as on my last trip over Flats Mountain I approached and passed two mysterious Snowmen, I guess waiting for me like a couple trail angels. What did they give me? More snow and another cold blizzard. I don't know if they had stick arms or were just excited to see me.

SGT Rock
02-16-2010, 14:08
They wanted a hug.

I was up in my area doing some trail maintenance last month. I even stayed out over night, but I didn't see the pack mule and his dog anywhere.

Tipi Walter
02-16-2010, 14:17
They wanted a hug.

I was up in my area doing some trail maintenance last month. I even stayed out over night, but I didn't see the pack mule and his dog anywhere.

I haven't gotten to the lower Slickrock side in a while. There's just too much fun to be had on the high mountain bowl around it(i.e.Hangover/Bob Bald). Something big happened around Christmas 2009, hurricane winds maybe, but most of the trails north of Sandy Gap to Lake Calderwood have been pummeled and left full of blowdowns. I counted around 40 new ones just between Beech and Cold Spring Gap on the BMT. Old Ken and his Crosscut Mountain Boys are busy beavers and getting right on them.

SGT Rock
02-16-2010, 14:20
Yep. I had to work during the saw-a-thon so I missed the fun on that. I got an e-mail from Rick Harris that there was a big blow down right on Slickrock Creek trail - down near that campsite we stayed at in 2007. I went down and spent about 5 hours working the one blow down solo. Then camped out overnight at that same spot. There is a lot of free firewood down there now.

Anyway. I got the message because we had a southbound thru-hiker on the BMT report the blow downs. Apparently she was out there during all that mess.

superman
02-16-2010, 15:48
I plan on starting the BMT NOBO on March 31. Will I be the only one on it? Is that a trail that should be hiked later in the season like the LT?

SGT Rock
02-16-2010, 15:56
March 31 should be fine. The weather should stay warm most of the time and most services will be open.

take-a-knee
02-16-2010, 16:12
I hiked from Three Forks to the Ocoee last April. I had nights in the 30's. I saw a pair of day hikers just south of the DRT turn off, a solo female ( from Sweden IIRC) who passed me just before the first road walk near the river, a party of hikers headed south into the Jacks River and a lone hiker at the state line at double springs. That's about one party per day, my kind of hiking trail. The leaves were not yet out, I wore sunglasses a lot.

Bearpaw
02-16-2010, 17:28
I plan on starting the BMT NOBO on March 31. Will I be the only one on it? Is that a trail that should be hiked later in the season like the LT?

It should be a good time to hike. Less brush and better views. I "thru-hiked" Springer to the Ocoee in May of 2005 (before the middle section was completed and opened) and the brush was fairly intense in places. Wearing pants, I was fine, but I would prefer hiking with less brush over the trail. It's a narrow tread, so it's easy for foliage to cover it from both sides.

On the plus side, I didn't encounter one single other hiker on the trail the rest of that trip.

SGT Rock
02-16-2010, 17:35
There have been some work trips to hopefully clear up the worst sections of brush which were on the area known as the "State Line Trail" which is between Moss Gap and Sledrunner Gap.

Bearpaw
02-16-2010, 18:16
There have been some work trips to hopefully clear up the worst sections of brush which were on the area known as the "State Line Trail" which is between Moss Gap and Sledrunner Gap.

It wasn't surprising the area was kind of brushy. BMTA was putting all their resources into finishing the middle connector section.

superman
02-16-2010, 18:18

Should your Thru Hikers' Guide be enough to thru hike the BMT? I do carry a compass. Winter used to keep me on the right trail so I won't have any adult supervision on this hike.:)

Bearpaw
02-16-2010, 18:40
Should your Thru Hikers' Guide be enough to thru hike the BMT? I do carry a compass. Winter used to keep me on the right trail so I won't have any adult supervision on this hike.:)

Print Mr. Parkay's maps (http://parkaymaps.110mb.com/BMTMaps/BMTMapsIndex.html), at least up to the Ocoee River. After that Nat'l Geo's Cherokee National Forest and Great Smoky Mountains National Park maps will take care of you.

The BMT is NOT a trail to hike without maps. In the wilderness areas, there are very little or no blazes or signage.

take-a-knee
02-16-2010, 18:44
Print Mr. Parkay's maps (http://parkaymaps.110mb.com/BMTMaps/BMTMapsIndex.html), at least up to the Ocoee River. After that Nat'l Geo's Cherokee National Forest and Great Smoky Mountains National Park maps will take care of you.

The BMT is NOT a trail to hike without maps. In the wilderness areas, there are very little or no blazes or signage.

I got "lost" twice because I didn't take time to orient my map at intersections. Because I had a map and compass recovering the trail was a simple matter. I lost 10-15 minutes each time. You need rudimentary map and compass skills to hike that trail.

Bati
02-16-2010, 19:05
You'll have solitude if you want. I hiked in April/May last year and, excluding people on roadwalks and crossings, I saw no one from Oconee till I entered the Smokies. Prior to Oconee I saw about one person or group of hikers/bikers/horseback riders/hunters a day. Even in the Smokies it wasn't that crowded; I was alone at my campsite on both Friday and Saturday night. My personal goal for the Smokies was to see more people than bears and I did accomplish that.
Three weeks is a reasonable time, though having a few extra days is nice, especially if you hit bad weather. I took an unplanned off day at Tellico, waiting for the river to drop at least 18 inches, and still barely made it across the nasty ford at Slickrock almost 2 days later. Allow time for an extra 10 miles if you need to avoid the dangerous fords in the Smokies (they're marked as such on the park map).
I did 4 resupplies- Cherry Log, Reliance, Tellico River and Fontana Dam (via Eagle creek).
Definitely take a map and compass. When I hiked the biggest issue outside of the fords was the lack of blazes in many places. The map and compass will help you determine where to turn.

SGT Rock
02-16-2010, 19:31
What they said. If you read my introduction in the guide I also stress bringing maps. I've gotten off track before as well.

superman
02-17-2010, 11:45

http://img.thefind.com/images/TwB7sDn83jSGaQy3eRoYMvJzU-PTSovyMoszMvPSixkySkoKrPT1izNLUvVK85JSE0sSk3JSixNz UvWS83P1M3PTDcxM9IEqjc1M9dIz0xgYAA**?m=1&g=1 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/buy-2F4M4cfPAN?result_view_id=f477f76012e9cb5e4a5018d5 2af80cb3%3A0003&result_impression_id=f477f76012e9cb5e4a5018d52af80 cb3%3A0012&srcquery=great+smoky+mountains+national+park)
National Geographic TI00000229 Map Of Great (http://www.whiteblaze.net/buy-2F4M4cfPAN?result_view_id=f477f76012e9cb5e4a5018d5 2af80cb3%3A0003&result_impression_id=f477f76012e9cb5e4a5018d52af80 cb3%3A0012&srcquery=great+smoky+mountains+national+park)

This one?

SGT Rock
02-17-2010, 11:48
can't link images on this board.

Nat Geo now makes maps that cover the entire length of the BMT.

#777 for Springer to Blue Ridge
#781 for Blue Ridge to the Smokies
#229 for GSMNP

superman
02-18-2010, 05:11
can't link images on this board.

Nat Geo now makes maps that cover the entire length of the BMT.

#777 for Springer to Blue Ridge
#781 for Blue Ridge to the Smokies
#229 for GSMNP

OK, the maps have been ordered.

superman
02-19-2010, 08:34
Am I the only one who will be hiking the BMT this spring?

generoll
02-19-2010, 09:31
why would you want to do the BMT in 10 days? I mean, it's possible to have sex in 3 seconds, but what's the point?

superman
02-19-2010, 11:29
why would you want to do the BMT in 10 days? I mean, it's possible to have sex in 3 seconds, but what's the point?

That's what she said.:)

DRRouner
02-19-2010, 13:40

I am thinking about doing the BMT in May and then go up to Maine and do a south bound thru hike.

superman
02-19-2010, 14:26
I am thinking about doing the BMT in May and then go up to Maine and do a south bound thru hike.

Hey Sampson...we put our dogs in the kennel at the same time in 2000. We hiked together for a short time until you powered off.

Mags
02-19-2010, 14:26

Some of us enjoy walking all day. Getting up with the sunrise and walking in the evening twilight. Awesome.

WE don't go fast..just long. Many of us are in excellent shape. Why the hell would I want to hike just 5 hrs total and camp all day??? I don't huff and puff up hills, can keep a consistent pace all day and enjoy walking.

To use your analogy, some of us are capable of having sex all night. Not all of us tire out after a little bit and need to sleep a long time. :banana

Further reading:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Outdoor-Writings/hike-my-hike-damn-it.html

superman
02-19-2010, 14:30
Some of us enjoy walking all day. Getting up with the sunrise and walking in the evening twilight. Awesome.

WE don't go fast..just long. Many of us are in excellent shape. Why the hell would I want to hike just 5 hrs total and camp all day??? I don't huff and puff up hills, can keep a consistent pace all day and enjoy walking.

To use your analogy, some of us are capable of having sex all night. Not all of us tire out after a little bit and need to sleep a long time. :banana

Further reading:
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Outdoor-Writings/hike-my-hike-damn-it.html

you suck.:D

SGT Rock
02-19-2010, 20:23

Probably not. I've heard from about 16 people that plan to hike the entire BMT this year or at least a major part of it. One already finished and one is out there right now.

That said, I very much doubt you would run into another thru-hiker this year. There isn't a window for thru-hiking the BMT like there is for the AT. So anyone can start just about any time of the year. And there isn't a network of shelters with registers to find out who could be on the trail a day ahead like there is on the AT. I suspect that if you wanted to run into another thru-hiker on the BMT you would just about have to plan it ahead of time.

Tipi Walter
02-19-2010, 21:58
And there isn't a network of shelters with registers to find out who could be on the trail a day ahead like there is on the AT.

Thank God for that.

SGT Rock
02-19-2010, 22:11
Thank God for that.

Amen brother.

jwoods
02-19-2010, 23:08
when will all your boasting and braying end?

DRRouner
02-20-2010, 00:14
Superman;
I remember you and Winter. As I recall, Winter was a bundle of energy. It wont be the same hiking without our dogs. Delia passed away last July also.
When will you be starting the BMT?

take-a-knee
02-20-2010, 01:52

He did go away for a long time because he grew tired of asswipes like yourself.

GGS2
02-20-2010, 02:21
Sarge, is this guy a friend of yours, or just trying to be?

Are you going to be doing any long trips this year?

superman
02-20-2010, 05:32
Superman;
I remember you and Winter. As I recall, Winter was a bundle of energy. It wont be the same hiking without our dogs. Delia passed away last July also.
When will you be starting the BMT?

I've got my ticket for Atlanta on March 31. The BMT gives a nice alternative to the AT to start. If I started on the AT I'd be doing that "this is where Winter did this and that." I mostly just followed Winter in 2000. I figure I should carry a 55 gallon drum of bread crumbs to drop behind me in case i get lost.:D

generoll
02-20-2010, 09:24

Sometimes you see a post that is so nonsensical that you just have to ask, "who left the rat guards off the mooring lines?"

max patch
02-20-2010, 09:30

Funny. Dude joined 9/2002 and waited 7 1/2 years to make that his first post.

Tipi Walter
02-20-2010, 10:07
Sometimes you see a post that is so nonsensical that you just have to ask, "who left the rat guards off the mooring lines?"

Or it's so nonsensical that you have to ask yourself, 'would I approach and try to touch a mean looking dog wearing sunglasses?"

GGS2
02-20-2010, 13:40
Or it's so nonsensical that you have to ask yourself, 'would I approach and try to touch a mean looking dog wearing sunglasses?"Tipi Walter, I reach out and touch mean dogs like that every time I go for a walk on the dog crap trails near my house. Not many of them have cool sunglasses like that one, though. Could be he's to cool to be patted.

Frosty
02-20-2010, 16:11
Funny. Dude joined 9/2002 and waited 7 1/2 years to make that his first post.I saw that, too. He must have felt pretty strongly to finally break his silence. But it isn't apparent to me to whom is solitary post is directed. It seems a shame to have his one post in all these years not be clear.

superman
02-20-2010, 16:59
My guess is...drunk posting.:)

SGT Rock
02-20-2010, 20:14
Sarge, is this guy a friend of yours, or just trying to be?

Are you going to be doing any long trips this year?
I hope to. I have joined into a group trip with the BMTA and the Cherokee hiking club. The plan is to walk the middle third of the trail. But the schedule is VERY slow and it goes into some of the days I work. So not as far as I would like. I am still feeling my way around at my new job.

I've got my ticket for Atlanta on March 31. The BMT gives a nice alternative to the AT to start. If I started on the AT I'd be doing that "this is where Winter did this and that." I mostly just followed Winter in 2000. I figure I should carry a 55 gallon drum of bread crumbs to drop behind me in case i get lost.:D
That is true. It would be something different to do this time instead of repeating the same hike 10 years later.

Or it's so nonsensical that you have to ask yourself, 'would I approach and try to touch a mean looking dog wearing sunglasses?"
That is a cool dog.

The other, I learned a long time ago to just ignore some things. Commenting on them only gives them attention.:cool:

shoe
02-21-2010, 01:40

I'll be doing the Smokies section on May 1

superman
02-21-2010, 18:43
I'll be doing the Smokies section on May 1

I have no idea how this will play out. I may still be stumbling around in that section when you're there. If you see a guy that looks dazed and confused that might be me.:)