PDA

View Full Version : Things to do on a thru-hike

cmsart87
02-15-2010, 21:23
So as im planning my thru hike for 2013 i got to thinking. What do you do on your spare time, or do you have any? When i went on my week long hike with my brothers we had each other to talk to and thats what we did to pass the time, but on the thru-hike ill be going alone.
Is there anything that you bring that doesnt way a ton that you use to pass time, or are you just to "beat" from the trail that you want to eat and crash?

thanks in advance for the input!

Lone Wolf
02-15-2010, 21:25
i always carry an AM/FM radio, crossword puzzles and usually a paperback book

Hikes in Rain
02-15-2010, 21:29
Second the book. Hiking or not, I'm never without one.

Ox97GaMe
02-15-2010, 21:30
You will usually have a lot of folks hanging around the shelters when you get there each night. Early on, the days will be rather short and you will be tired enough to just go to sleep when the sun sets (or shortly after). As you get into trail shape and the days get longer, you may find you have extra time to do things.

I like taking a deck of cards. Also a book if you like to read. The year I hiked, Walkman's were the rage. now its iPods.

Bearpaw
I read a book, write in my journal, and look over my maps and maybe guidebook for the next day.

cmsart87
I just thought of something and am wondering if anyone has tried it.

The Amazon Kindle is thin and light and can store tons of books and the battery is pretty good, and i imagine that by 2013 they will be even lighter with better battery life.

has anyone ever brought this with them?

Bearpaw
02-15-2010, 21:33
I just thought of something and am wondering if anyone has tried it.

The Amazon Kindle is thin and light and can store tons of books and the battery is pretty good, and i imagine that by 2013 they will be even lighter with better battery life.

has anyone ever brought this with them?

It would have to be VERY well waterproofed and this isn't a consideration in current designs. It takes effort to keep many digital cameras from having issues after several days of misty conditions, where humidity seeps into everything.

My camera and my headlamp are my only electronics.

Appalachian Tater
02-15-2010, 21:41
Stand or sit around the fire talking until dark about nothing really. Then go in your tent and read a from a paperback or magazine. Pick up a new book by switching it off in a hostel or shelter when you finish one. Or, if you keep a journal, write in it. Massage your feet.

Remember, it is getting dark before 7pm until the time changes in March. Then it gets dark before 8pm but it still feels like 7pm.

On special occasions:

Night before going into town do a food inventory, look at how many days your next section will be and count how many meals you need to buy food for. If you've carried food through two resupplies and haven't eaten it, you're not going to want it later so get rid of it.

Once a week, clip your fingernails and toenails.

Tape your shoes together with duct tape or fix whatever needs it.

Sort through your stuff again to see what you can get rid of at the next town.

fiddlehead
02-15-2010, 21:42
Slingshot.
My time is spent on the trail.
When in camp, i'm usually sleeping. (unless the weather is terrible, then i play my guitar)

max patch
02-15-2010, 21:42
[QUOTE=cmsart87;971133

has anyone ever brought this with them?[/QUOTE]

I own one and there is no doubt in my mind that if I took it on a thru I'd break it. Paperbacks are a better bet.

I'm sure I could baby it over a weekend trip -- but at what they cost why risk it -- but no way over 6 months.

Appalachian Tater
02-15-2010, 21:44
Can't start a fire with a Kindle or use it for toilet paper, either.

Well, you could use it for toilet paper ONCE. :D

JustaTouron
02-15-2010, 21:58
I like taking a deck of cards. ,

I have read (i think here) that a deck of cards can be very useful if you get lost and don't know how to get back to civization or the trail.

JustaTouron
02-15-2010, 21:59
I have read (i think here) that a deck of cards can be very useful if you get lost and don't know how to get back to civization or the trail.

Here is how.....

If you get lost, start playing a game of solitare. With in 15 mins someone will come by and tell you to put the red 4 on the black 5. Follow that person to civilization.

cmsart87
02-15-2010, 22:02
thanks for the tip about the humidity, didnt even cross my mind that it would be an issue, i guess paperback and maybe some brain games it is, but i have a feeling for the first month or so ill probably crash anyways

Lumberjack2003
02-15-2010, 22:17
For me it was books, cards and an MP3 player. I learned to play cribbage on the AT.

singing wind
02-15-2010, 23:08
Lots of options as previous posters have mentioned.

What would help make the hike enjoyable for you? Even tho' it's a long walk there's lots of ways to entertain yourself and enjoy the day as best you can - books, photography, miniature game boards and cards, etc. - or just doing nothing, and often time in the day to do so.

In 1982 a couple thru hikers carried 2 miniature pigs that were tossed like dice and scored according to how they fell - the highest score won the game. That was something we grew to look forward to at the end of the day and it often brought alot of laughs - :).

I find long distance hiking more enjoyable if I take time to do the activities I truly enjoy - yes there are days when miles are the priority, but there's alot of opportunities yet to be discovered.

Have fun and good luck!

sasquatch2014
02-15-2010, 23:20
Met some hikers this year that carried the dice and score pad or two for Yathazee had been a few years since I played but was a lot of fun and didn't take much to do. you could also learnt he rules for Mankala you can always build a "board in the dirt and I am sure you will have no problems with finding rocks.

sbhikes
02-15-2010, 23:41
I read a book, write in my journal, and look over my maps and maybe guidebook for the next day.
Me too. There's not much time for anything else when hiking all day is your plan. That's what I do: hike all day. No lounging around half the day "camping."

cmsart87
02-16-2010, 00:29
would it be safe to "adventure" to maybe take pictures, or just check something out? or is there not really anything worth setting up camp and taking a stroll.

and by safe meaning you being safe and your pack being safe?

Last time i went hiking i didnt meet anyone that i didnt really not trust on the trail, but i dont know if it will be the same. Obviously common sense is your best friend on that matter.

Mags
02-16-2010, 13:21

With the exception of the book, that is what I do as well.

A hike of the AT (usually) means you are hiking all day. Even if "only" doing 12 MPD on average. You are often tired at night. Getting to camp early and exploring the area is not typically done... :)

ChinMusic
02-16-2010, 13:36
Dice: In hopes of being able to destroy someone at backgammon.......:cool: Got a board drawn on a piece of Tyvek. Find rocks/sticks on site if needed.

Minerva
02-16-2010, 13:44
If there was better coverage I'd get FLO TV...

JustaTouron
02-16-2010, 13:52
or is there not really anything worth setting up camp and taking a stroll.

So after a long day of walking you plan to relax by taking a walk?????

wvgrinder
02-16-2010, 16:58
Watching it rain is a nice hobby. ;)

Bimble
02-16-2010, 17:05
In 1982 a couple thru hikers carried 2 miniature pigs that were tossed like dice and scored according to how they fell - the highest score won the game. That was something we grew to look forward to at the end of the day and it often brought alot of laughs - :).

Called Pass the Pigs - long been a family favourite for us, especially on camping trips:

http://www.passthepigs.com/

Yahtzee
02-16-2010, 17:25
Rock bowling. Standing on the trail and rolling rocks down into the forest and see whose rock makes it the furthest.
Rock throwing. When on a break -- pick a spot for you and your mates to throw rocks at. Your break isn't over until one of you hits the spot. This was a near daily activity for our crew.
Map reading. Every time you stop you can take out the map and get a feel for what is coming up. Helps if you can read contours.
Talking and listening. Hope you like your partners and they like you.
Radio. Good for hiking and nights in the tent.
Doing nothing. When you are hiking 15-20 miles a day for days on end, sitting and doing nothing is a joy. Pick a nice spot and enjoy.

stranger
02-16-2010, 18:47
I like to walk all day, I'm not a big fan of sitting around camp from 3pm. For me it's usually only about 1.5-2 hours from arriving in camp to sleeping, after setting up my shelter, saying hello to a few hikers, getting water, having dinner and throwing a bear line, it's time to sleep.

I agree however, a book is a very good thing to have - I really enjoy reading in my tent just before bed, good way to end the day.

58starter
02-16-2010, 20:24
I have several books of the bible that I have downloaded to my small mp3 player that has removalable Sim cards. I listen to it for a while each night before I fall asleep.
I also take a small new testimate

Rocket Jones
02-16-2010, 21:18
I have a small art kit that I carry. I'll snap pictures and do some 10-minute sketches during the day. Then if I feel like it in the evening, or see something that strikes my fancy on the trail, I'll do a watercolor sketch using waterbrushes.

Rocket Jones
02-16-2010, 21:19
I also practice my bagpipes. The wife won't let me at home. :D

Lone Wolf
02-16-2010, 21:23
I like to walk all day, I'm not a big fan of sitting around camp from 3pm. For me it's usually only about 1.5-2 hours from arriving in camp to sleeping, after setting up my shelter, saying hello to a few hikers, getting water, having dinner and throwing a bear line, it's time to sleep.

I agree however, a book is a very good thing to have - I really enjoy reading in my tent just before bed, good way to end the day.

me, i like to walk 6-7 hours, lotsa breaks, get to camp at 3 or 4 and just hang.... crack a beer, do a crossword or 2 and drink lotsa untreated/unfiltered spring water and converse with what few "cool" people may be around. but that's just me

Elder
02-16-2010, 23:35
also known as how to deal with shelter mice...:eek:

ShelterLeopard
02-16-2010, 23:54

Yep. Exactly what I do. (I don't carry any music/radios/etc)

Bronk
02-17-2010, 03:13
Have fun and good luck!

PASS THE PIGS! I love that game and I too carried it on the trail.

GGS2
02-17-2010, 03:30
Just the chanter, or the full set?

Rocket Jones
02-17-2010, 07:12
also known as how to deal with shelter mice...:eek:

It's also perfect for those who want more solitude when they hike. :sun

K2
02-17-2010, 12:24
Called Pass the Pigs - long been a family favourite for us, especially on camping trips:

Poor potbellies, but how do you carry them? Cheers ~K2~

Hatfield
02-17-2010, 13:08
Eat and Drink

DrRichardCranium
02-17-2010, 15:06

My friends & I would play Cosmic Wimpout.

Bimble
02-17-2010, 17:22
Poor potbellies, but how do you carry them? Cheers ~K2~

you don't carry 'em, just strap your pack to them and follow. (be sure and use a leash) :D

Panzer1
02-17-2010, 18:01

My only concern is that you pay 2 or 3 hundred dollars for this and it gets wet or somehow breaks. They are designed to be used indoors, not on the trail. Trail life is hard on electronics. Its a lot of money down the drain if something bad happens to it.

Panzer

KnittingMelissa
02-17-2010, 18:13
I'll be bringing my knitting. Why yes, I will have lovely fresh socks all through the Trail! Or, at least, that's my intent. I'll also be bringing a book. Probably Good Omens (I can read that back to back over and over again), or Beauty. Both are old favorites.

JustaTouron
02-17-2010, 18:58
My only concern is that you pay 2 or 3 hundred dollars for this and it gets wet or somehow breaks. They are designed to be used indoors, not on the trail. Trail life is hard on electronics. Its a lot of money down the drain if something bad happens to it.

Panzer

Or if you do bring one make sure you use a credit card that has one of those warranties that include if something breaks or gets stolen. Or buy an extended warranty. Make sure the warranty covers breakage from accidents. Most purchase warranties have an accident/misuse exclusion some credit cards or extended warranties cover accidents.

Gator 65
02-20-2010, 08:10
1 - I Pods are great. You will be able to get several days on each charge.
2 - Keep a journal. They are great reading once you finish the hike
3 - Stay organized. keep the same routine each night in camp so you don't forget
anything.
4 - Keep each item in your pack in the same place at all times. This is critical when
get into camp late and / or in bad weather.
5 - Do all of your "housekeeping" before anything else in camp. (water filtering,food
inventory) This makes the next morning an easier departure.

prain4u
02-20-2010, 23:00
I am not an AT thru hiker (yet). On other hikes (and other trails) I do some, or all, of the following: It is often 6:00-8:00 pm by the time that I am done hiking, setting up camp, cooking an evening meal (and cleaning up). I also filter or treat enough water for that night and the next morning.

Then, I write in my journal. I review my maps and/or trail guide for the next day's hike. I repack as much of my stuff as possible--so I have less things to do in the morning. I take care of personal hygiene issues--including perhaps rinsing out some dirty clothes and hanging them up to begin drying. I maybe chat with other people (if I am around other people). I am a pastor, so I spend some time reading from my Bible or reading from other religious materials. I have an AM/FM radio--so I check the weather for the next day.

At this point, it is probably PAST my "bedtime"--so I go to bed.

Inching Irishman
02-22-2010, 20:43
I was there in 1982 when the pigs where tossed. I think I witnessed the first "making bacon". That was when the two pigs landed on top of each other.

Inching Irishman GA->ME 1982

mtnkngxt
02-25-2010, 14:31
I carry an Ipod shuffle, and a book of some sort.

IceAge
02-25-2010, 15:02
Rock bowling. Standing on the trail and rolling rocks down into the forest and see whose rock makes it the furthest.
Rock throwing. When on a break -- pick a spot for you and your mates to throw rocks at. Your break isn't over until one of you hits the spot. This was a near daily activity for our crew.
Map reading. Every time you stop you can take out the map and get a feel for what is coming up. Helps if you can read contours.
Talking and listening. Hope you like your partners and they like you.
Radio. Good for hiking and nights in the tent.
Doing nothing. When you are hiking 15-20 miles a day for days on end, sitting and doing nothing is a joy. Pick a nice spot and enjoy.

I had this strange notion that you might play Yahtzee

Yahtzee
02-25-2010, 15:06
One would think, Iceage. But, alas, I do not play my namesake game.

Johnny Thunder
02-25-2010, 15:59
You need to worry about humidity and electronics as much as some would have you. Over the past 3 years I've used a non-waterproof digital camera (8.5 total months), mp3 player (2.5 months), and pocket radio (4 months) all in exposed places (ie. zip-locked in the hip-belt pocket) with no issues. I also carried my 100 GB flash drive (1 month) and a pocket speaker (2 months), again with no issues. Oh yeah, and 9 months with the same cell phone.

Just be smart about it and you won't have problems. If it looks like it's going to rain all day I'm probably not going to use the electronics so they go in the pack liner.

Buy a Kindle if that's what speaks to you. Get it at Best Buy and pay the 15 or 20% for the no questions warranty.

ridgerunninrat81
02-25-2010, 21:36
For me it was cosmic wimpout. Anyone know it?

acousticmonk
03-02-2010, 01:35
This is not my idea (I saw this on Youtube) but, if you have a Thermarest crash pad, you can take a sharpie and draw out your favorite board game on it, then say for Monopoly, someone can be a stick, or a rock, or a spork, etc... and for money....ahh who needs money anyways....

JustaTouron
03-02-2010, 10:27
This is not my idea (I saw this on Youtube) but, if you have a Thermarest crash pad, you can take a sharpie and draw out your favorite board game on it, then say for Monopoly, someone can be a stick, or a rock, or a spork, etc... and for money....ahh who needs money anyways....

Monolpoly would be a bit complex.

But backgammon, chess, checkers (those two are the same board), chinese checkers, othello are all be quite simple.

Chess pieces made from rocks and sticks would be too confusing....but made from construction paper and a sharpie would weigh only a few grams.

achangeincourse
03-02-2010, 11:04
dude thats sweet i'm planning my 2013 thru hike too see ya then!

acousticmonk
03-02-2010, 18:44
I agree that monopoly would be a bit complex for the trail... but chess would be nice, even with paper or cardstock pieces....

sasquatch2014
03-02-2010, 21:42

Just don't do cribbage or you will have all kinds of holes in you pad.:eek:

climber2377
03-02-2010, 22:08
i ve seen a few guys with a whiffle ball and bat, they would share carrying it along the way, you can play toss the rocks in the can or some type of toss the washer in the hole kind of game, that you might see a version of on concert lot scenes. i am bringing a hacky sac. books are good, journal, something to read, i have a small thin new testament. when you have an imagination, you can make games up as you go with things that are around. even a game of "horseshoes" is possible with a couple of v shaped sticks to toss near a peg/ stick. i could imagine making one of the ladder golf games, and even a bocce game with rocks. there are lots of games you can play considering you are with the right people, you can play word games and all kinds of things. if you are alone, it helps to be a mog. i m like barf, half man, half dog, i m my own best friend, so there is never a dull moment. enjoy. i hope these ideas help.