PDA

View Full Version : Stumped Due to the Weather

EDexter
02-15-2010, 22:11
My partner and I will be starting February 22nd and cannot decide due to the weather if we should start off with our winter boots or our regular hiking shoes.

I am one to get cold feet easily and no doubt stay significantly warmer in my winter boots, but obviously they are not as comfortable to backpack long distances with. Do I make the sacrifice of having sore feet in order to have warmer feet?

My partners feet stay fairly warm, but sweat whether or not his feet or cold or not.

Being from Maine, a little snow wont scare us, but we are unfamiliar with the south; I've been following Second Stage's TrailJournal, reading snow drifts are to her knees.

I would really appreciate some feedback and hope it makes our final decision easier! As it stands, we plan on wearing our hiking shoes.

JustaTouron
02-15-2010, 22:14
You could take both and mail one home after a couple of days on the trail.

EDexter
02-15-2010, 22:24
Very true, we thought of that but wondered if we'd be kicking ourselves for the added weight.

JustaTouron
02-15-2010, 22:36
Very true, we thought of that but wondered if we'd be kicking ourselves for the added weight.

Thats why I would make the decision after a couple of days and not carry the second pair all the way to Katadian.

Or you could wear one pair and mail the other to the first mail drop. Wearing the wrong shoes for 3-4 days won't kill you and after a few days on the trail you will know which pair to mail home.

DAJA
02-15-2010, 22:39
What are your trail shoes? And what are your winter boots?

EDexter
02-15-2010, 23:07
Thats why I would make the decision after a couple of days and not carry the second pair all the way to Katadian.

Or you could wear one pair and mail the other to the first mail drop. Wearing the wrong shoes for 3-4 days won't kill you and after a few days on the trail you will know which pair to mail home.

Yes, I actually forgot that was our original plan but we were hoping we could save ourselves the shipping fee and in the process of weighing out the pros and cons of each footwear, forgot that was still an option.

What are your trail shoes? And what are your winter boots?

Winter Boot:
http://www.mtntools.com/cat/alpineice/boots/borealg1expeditionboots.htm

Pour Mid Hikers:
http://www.zappos.com/pour-la-victoire-arianna-black

Not really, actually I dont know on hand what we have. My hiking shoes are a mid height Merrell and my snow boots are LL Bean but as for the finer details, I draw a blank at the moment.

Cakon
02-15-2010, 23:18
Take the Merrells. Your feet will not be cold while you hike. Bring some down booties for camp if you are worried about your feet being cold. Winter boots are usually cut bigger which means they slip a little with every step which means blisters. Don't do the blisters.

Kerosene
02-15-2010, 23:22
I think you'll be fine with your regular hiking shoes, as long as they are waterproof. I agree that your feet should stay plenty warm while you're hiking, especially if you keep any snow from working its way into the foot area, which is a good reason for bringing a pair of gaiters.

drifters quest
02-15-2010, 23:25
I would take the hiking shoes. I usually get cold feet. I went out on an overnight last weekend and wore my keens, despite two feet of snow and my feet soaking wet my feet were very warm in my smartwools (temps in the 20s). The key is to just keep moving and change into something dry when you stop.

gardenville
02-15-2010, 23:30
My partner and I will be starting February 22nd and cannot decide due to the weather if we should start off with our winter boots or our regular hiking shoes.

I am one to get cold feet easily and no doubt stay significantly warmer in my winter boots, but obviously they are not as comfortable to backpack long distances with. Do I make the sacrifice of having sore feet in order to have warmer feet?

My partners feet stay fairly warm, but sweat whether or not his feet or cold or not.

I would really appreciate some feedback and hope it makes our final decision easier! As it stands, we plan on wearing our hiking shoes.

Hi,

I started a thread for this subject on the backpackinglight.com web site a couple days ago:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=28948&skip_to_post=242361#242361

You might get a few ideas from the comments over their also.

DAJA
02-15-2010, 23:34
Wear the Merrells and some gaiters with a good quality midweight sock and you'll be fine while moving. Your feet will eventually get wet, so once you get to camp, quicly change into dry socks and layers.. If you don't have booties, wear a pair of loose fit heavy weight wool socks in camp.. Tight socks while sitting still will restrict circulation and ulimately lead to cold feet..

Enjoy your hike... It's a shame we have to head south to find snow...

BrianLe
02-15-2010, 23:39
You could also consider a pair of goretex socks, with the shoes and goretex socks sized to comfortably fit a decent wool sock (inside the goretex). That's my plan, anyway, and not with a waterproof shoe --- I prefer having shoes that dry out faster.

You leave 3 days before I do. I hope that if you have a trail journal of some sort that you'll post trail conditions in terms of snow and either estimated or measured high/low temperatures. I know, easier said than done, and I might not do so well at this myself, but I know that each of us is looking at the folks that start ahead of them in hopes of gleaning data like this (!). I just reluctantly decided to bring along snow baskets for my trekking poles ...

Cool AT Breeze
02-15-2010, 23:39
I was on the trail around Springer today. Hiking boots are fine. Gaiters would help. It's going to be muddy soon.

Spirit Walker
02-16-2010, 00:04
I'm probably going with boots. After the December storm, snow and ice lasted for weeks. Every time I hiked in my running shoes, my feet froze. In the car it took a long time for my feet to warm up. I won't have a nice heater to speed up the warming.

I hiked the AT twice in all leather boots. I switched to running shoes for desert hiking, but on both the CDT and PCT I wore boots for the snow sections. I was glad I did. I know what works for me. And what my risk tolerance is.

If you aren't sure, you can try one, and put your other pair in a drift box.

GeneralLee10
02-16-2010, 00:07
You could also consider a pair of goretex socks, with the shoes and goretex socks sized to comfortably fit a decent wool sock (inside the goretex). That's my plan, anyway, and not with a waterproof shoe --- I prefer having shoes that dry out faster.

You leave 3 days before I do. I hope that if you have a trail journal of some sort that you'll post trail conditions in terms of snow and either estimated or measured high/low temperatures. I know, easier said than done, and I might not do so well at this myself, but I know that each of us is looking at the folks that start ahead of them in hopes of gleaning data like this (!). I just reluctantly decided to bring along snow baskets for my trekking poles ...

Have you read this opinion about the Gore-Tex socks?

http://runtrails.blogspot.com/2005/05/be-wary-of-gore-tex-running-shoes.html

I like to use trail runners way more than boots, that's just me. But I like the sock idea:), Did you get socks one size bigger to allow for the wool sock?

BrianLe
02-16-2010, 02:01
"Have you read this opinion about the Gore-Tex socks?
http://runtrails.blogspot.com/2005/0...ing-shoes.html (http://runtrails.blogspot.com/2005/05/be-wary-of-gore-tex-running-shoes.html)
I like to use trail runners way more than boots, that's just me. But I like the sock idea, Did you get socks one size bigger to allow for the wool sock? :)"

At first I thought that article was just about gore-tex SHOES, which I'm not so much a fan of, but he does go on to talk (positively) about Gore-tex socks. I have Rocky brand socks. My nominal shoe size is 10 (or at least used to be ...). I wear a size 11/11.5 trail runner, and size 12 gore-tex socks, which leaves space inside for a liner sock and a wool sock. Not a super thick wool sock, but thick enough.

In fact, in the Sierras on the PCT I sometimes used the goretex socks and sometimes didn't. I think if a person has some doubts, take 'em as mental comfort, and in certain rain or snow conditions they can help. To get the maximum benefit, you want maximal air ventilation, i.e., well ventilated shoes --- if you hope to allow the goretex to pump some moisture out. I find that at some point I just get wet regardless, but they at least slow that process down, and add some warmth.

garlic08
02-16-2010, 10:30
I'll go with the apparent majority and recommend the shoes over the boots. Your comfort will depend more on your skills than the footwear, I think.

I had blizzard conditions in the Smokies on my thru (knee deep snow, overnight temps in the teens) and made it just fine with running shoes. I passed a couple of section hikers who were in pain in their soaked leather boots. I heard via email later on that one ended up in the hospital back home with frostbitten feet (full recovery).

I used the plastic bag trick (bagtex) because I didn't have my Goretex socks with me. Given the conditions this year and the earlier start, I would probably take them now.

Quite a few times I've been on dry winter day hikes in the Rockies in shoes, warm and comfortable, while my partners in heavy stiff boots were in pain from the cold. I attribute it to the better freedom of movement and circulation.

Snowleopard
02-16-2010, 11:30
I'd recommend something like this with goretex socks. The spike heel will work like crampons on ice.
http://www.zappos.com/boutique-9-realluv-black?zlfid=111
[not really :) ]

Another option is NEOS overshoes, available in insulated and non-insulated versions. I have the Adventurer model and so far like them. Even the uninsulated models add considerable warmth. Wear them over your regular hiking shoes. They'd also fit over down booties. http://www.overshoesneos.com/

At a minimum, bring gaitors if snow is expected.

Spokes
02-16-2010, 12:09
Why not pick the one pair you prefer and put the other in a bounce box mailed ahead. That way you'd have the option of changing out if the others don't work out for ya.

Blissful
02-16-2010, 12:13
No matter what you wear (Goretex or otherwise), your feet will get wet. It just depends how long you want them to stay wet. With boots they will stay wet for days. With trail runners much less time.

Bags4266
02-16-2010, 12:51
I have the "Rocky" Gore tex socks as well, they are amazing. Pricey though

whistle dixie
02-16-2010, 13:16
I have the "Rocky" Gore tex socks as well, they are amazing. Pricey though

i heard that just got two pair yesterday.

jbwood5
02-16-2010, 14:47
I agree that good trail shoes would be your best bet. Bring a thick pair of wool socks and a polypro liner for day time and have a dry pair for night time. All your footwear will get wet and boots will never dry. Personally, I would not be without gaiters in the snow.... unless you like having your shoes packed with snow when you pull up from a drift. Just plan on your footwear being cold and wet every morning, but as mentioned, once you are on the trail for an hour, you will warm up and be fine. It is a total luxary to have dry footwear and that won't happen many days on the trail. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

I'd much rather hike in snow and frozen ground than the mud which will be coming in a few weeks.

EDexter
02-16-2010, 17:37

Yes, I plan on keeping an online journal on TrailJournals.com. I am bringing a mini thermometer so I can log a general high and low for the folks at home to see as well as the for the hikers starting after us. I'm dissapointed not many people have logged ahead of us, but the pictures Second Stage posted give us a pretty good idea.
http://www.trailjournals.com/mattanderika/
I haven't entered many entries, just the required 3 in order to get the direct link. I most likely wont enter another entry until a few days of being on the trail.

I have enjoyed reading everyones responses to my thread, goes to show there is no one right way, hike your own hike.

Bati
02-16-2010, 22:15
For what it's worth, I wore cloth boots on my AT hike, and used plastic bags to line them for most of the first month. The boots froze up regularly, but my feet stayed warm after the first 20 minutes or so of hiking. The big trick was to try to have a pair of dry socks ready to change into at night. Then I would have dry socks, again covered by a plastic bag, and my tevas (this was before crocs.) Sure, the straps on the sandals would also freeze, but this wasn't a big problem as the velcro held and my feet didn't get wet from the snow in camp.

If it's cold and snowy, you'll spend much more time hiking and much less time in camp; I hiked from sunup to sundown one day in Georgia and only covered 4 miles.

Whatever shoe you choose for hiking, make sure you have good soles. As the snow melts you'll discover that ice, half-melted snow, wet rocks, wet wood, and mud are not your friends; traction is at a premium. And the AT is (or at least was) not laid out as well as it could be in some sections; at least 2 backpackers broke their arms in one spot just hours apart that spring. Unfortunately,everyone knew exactly where it was as the turn was that sketchy. And given the weather so far this year, you might have many more blowdowns to skirt than normal; often the footing in these situations is challenging.

debbiemoles
02-16-2010, 23:08
I hiked last week in virginia, I had on winter boots and plastic bags tucked inside, as well as toe warmers, i hiked in drifts up to my thighs, and crawled on ice across the trail in some places, i was in floyd county, va.:banana

Houdini
02-21-2010, 01:27
Winter Boot:
http://www.mtntools.com/cat/alpineice/boots/borealg1expeditionboots.htm

Pour Mid Hikers:
http://www.zappos.com/pour-la-victoire-arianna-black

rofl... had me going with the first link

:clap:clap

Praha4
02-21-2010, 02:23
here's the NPS website with latest temps and snow depth in the Smokies.... Newfound Gap still has 2ft of snow on the ground, Mt Leconte has over 3ft....

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/productview.php?pil=RTPMRX&version=1&max=61

Hokie
02-21-2010, 04:40
Example of goretex suggestion are Rocky Gore-tex socks that can be worn over other socks, waterproof, windproof, breathable. Considered by past backpacking light forum (Backpackinglight.com) discussions to be better than Sealskinz in cold/wet conditions. Also help in camp if needed. Weigh less than 3 oz for the pair.