PDA

View Full Version : Cove Mountain Shelter (VA)

Kerosene
09-25-2004, 06:52
Another basic, 6-man design with campsites all around. The privy is very close to the shelter. There is no water source for this shelter.

There is a tough NOBO climb out of Bearwallow Gap, but then the Trail follows the ridge more or less before plunging down to Jennings Creek the 3.5 miles after this shelter. The dilapidated "It's A Wonderful Life" campground is 1.5 miles from the Creek and will hold mail drops and has very limited food supplies in season. Bug-infested cabins available for rental.

On a clear night, head north on the Trail for 0.1 miles without your flashlight on to a nice overlook of Buchanan and the valley.

BlackCloud
11-18-2004, 19:51
A quaint spot w/ nice views of the main blue ridge w/ leafless trees. It's just off the trail & looks little used, although quite old.

And I completely agree w/ the above mention of the "wonderful life" campgorund - useless.

The Solemates
11-19-2004, 10:19
Yea, the wonderful life campground pretty much sucks, although they did have a decent grill if you need a grease fix. We used it as a meeting place for friends coming in to visit on our thru since its only a mile or two outta the way.

Skyline
11-19-2004, 10:51
"Wonderful Life" used to be a Yogi Bear Jellystone Park franchise. After repeated inspections and warnings about its many deficiencies from the Jellystone hierarchy, Leisure Systems, Inc., it was stripped of its franchise. Another Jellystone has since been established in the general region, and this campground had to change its name and for perhaps a bit of satire chose "It's A Wonderful Life."

Having said that, if all you want is a tentsite, a place to park a car, or some ice cream--this campground is located not TOO far from the A.T. and the people I've dealt with there have been friendly.

Blue Jay
11-19-2004, 11:16
"Wonderful Life" used to be a Yogi Bear Jellystone Park franchise. After repeated inspections and warnings about its many deficiencies from the Jellystone hierarchy, Leisure Systems, Inc., it was stripped of its franchise. Another Jellystone has since been established in the general region, and this campground had to change its name and for perhaps a bit of satire chose "It's A Wonderful Life."

Having said that, if all you want is a tentsite, a place to park a car, or some ice cream--this campground is located not TOO far from the A.T. and the people I've dealt with there have been friendly.

I thought that was the place. I stayed, I believe in 2000 or was it 01. It was great. The owner picked me up at the trail head as he happened to be driving by in a 62 Chevy Pickup. My father had one of those and he almost had me sold on buying it. He let me camp out up on the hill for free and use the showers and pool. The resupply was good and there was a pool table where I got to play a few games. One of the ladies I played pool with drove me back to the trail. I had a great time there, but maybe things have changed.

BlackCloud
11-20-2004, 21:50
I thought that was the place. I stayed, I believe in 2000 or was it 01. It was great. The owner picked me up at the trail head as he happened to be driving by in a 62 Chevy Pickup. My father had one of those and he almost had me sold on buying it. He let me camp out up on the hill for free and use the showers and pool. The resupply was good and there was a pool table where I got to play a few games. One of the ladies I played pool with drove me back to the trail. I had a great time there, but maybe things have changed.
Things have changed......

Relative to what you describe, it's the campground equivalent of a closed-up mining town.......

spike
11-02-2005, 15:06
Stayed at Cove Mountain on October 29. Nicely situated below the ridge line, and in good shape.

It's a shame there's no water source, but a very nice, quiet location with lots of tent space around the shelter.

faydawy
02-15-2006, 20:49
:welcome Just a note to let all you hikers know that Middle Creek Campground has taken over where A wonderful Life was. My husband and I took over last Friday, there is A LOT of work to do. The place is pretty rough. The previous owner let it run down and then timbered just about the entire property.
By April 1, the store will reopen - if you're hiking through stop by, check us out and give us some feedback on what hikers need! We're a mile up the road from the trail.

Mountain Dog
07-14-2008, 18:15
No water available at this shelter. 10 July 2008.