PDA

View Full Version : Another one of my hikng info sources just got canceled.....

Different Socks
02-16-2010, 02:16
National Geo Adventure, great source for places to hike, tour, explore, kayak, etc. But it ceased publication with the last issue. Same thing happened with "Adventure West" a few years ago as well as "Hooked on the Outdoors", which I really enjoyed reading b/c they covered many things that BPer never has. They tried to offer me a subscription to Nat'l Geo, but it's not what I'm looking for.
So I am getting my money back, virtually almost all of the 5 year renewal I just recently paid.

That being said, here is my question: Is there a publication and/or a club(national or international) that its priority is covering long distance trails around the globe? I am not interested in a website. I like to have the newsletter or magazine in my hands to read.

Oh, another thing: Why the hell doesn't BPer do more stories about long trails in other countries? It seems all I've ever seen are short blurbs about the few international long trails that they have featured over the last 20 years(the length of my subscription). I mean when was the last time you read a full length article in BPer about a long trail in Europe(has several countries with several long trails), Australia(has several long trails), Africa, South America?
It would be nice to see something about a trail outside North America, wouldn't it?

Spirit Walker
02-16-2010, 11:36
Have you written BP suggesting that they include more international hikes? I would enjoy reading more about them.

I think that they focus on the US because that is where the vast majority of their readers actually hike. They are mostly looking for backyard hikes, with an occasional splurge trip to Yellowstone or Alaska. While dream trips can be fun to read about occasionally, most readers want to read about hikes they'll actually do.