PDA

View Full Version : TarpTent MOMENT

300winmag
02-16-2010, 03:31
I had a TT Contrail for 3 summers and liked it a lot. But then teh Moment came out & I sold the Contreil to buy the Moment.
I couldn't be happier. The Moment is an improvement over the Contrail in many ways.
1. bigger, more useable vestibule
2. better ventilation and ventilation control
3. much better in high winds (always taut)
4. even faster to set up than the Contrail (yeah, amazing)
5. many nice details
6. more useable headroom

Cons v.s. the Contrail
1. slightly less floor space
2. a few ounces more weight

To me this is the best 3 season solo tent out there. This sucker is a real solid refuge in a storm. Plus, it's American made.

JonnyWalker
02-16-2010, 04:05
If I wasn't 6'3" I most likely would have bought a Moment. Rainbow is the only Shires tarptent that even comes close to fitting me. Setting up with 2 pegs has to be nice.

RayBan
02-16-2010, 04:23
This has been discussed in detail in the Gear forum under New Tarptent: this is the Moment.

There's a reference there to the BPL thread on the same.

Henry Shire specifically discusses the height/fit issue: it easily fit his 6'3" employee.

I'd suggest first calling Henry to discuss any questions about fit.

bigcranky
02-16-2010, 08:38
Glad to hear all this, since I just ordered one last night. Hoping it comes in time for my section hike the first week in March.

I chose the Moment over the Contrail because I like the door on the side, and because it looks like it will hold up to winter weather. (In the summer I hammock.)

skinewmexico
02-16-2010, 09:17
I like mine. Need to get it sealed.

Big Dawg
02-16-2010, 10:39
I had a TT Contrail for 3 summers and liked it a lot. But then teh Moment came out & I sold the Contreil to buy the Moment.
I couldn't be happier. The Moment is an improvement over the Contrail in many ways.............

Eric, did you just get another urge to plug the Moment? Are you getting a kickback from Henry? just kidding:D

Actually I've been honing in on this one as my next tent purchase. It just seems like a very smart design. I own a TT DR & a BA Copper Spur2. Both nice for plenty of room, but I'm looking to lower my base weight & want something 2#'s or less. This one fits the bill. I'm 6'5", and not concerned about fit b/c of the overall length of 110".

bigcranky
02-16-2010, 11:58
I sold my double rainbow to buy the Moment. It was a somewhat difficult choice between the Contrail and the Moment, which went something like this:

I've owned a Rainshadow and the Double Rainbow and used a Squall a couple of times. I greatly prefer the door on the long side (like the DR and Moment) rather than at the front (Contrail and Squall.)

But the Contrail is lighter.

I like having the headroom in the middle (like the DR and Moment) rather than at the end where the pole is (like the Contrail and Squall.)

I want a shelter than I can use in winter conditions in the Southeast, like the Moment.

You can see where I was going around and around on this. Plenty of people love the Contrail. But it finally came down to the feature list overcoming the weight difference, which is only 4 ounces anyway. So not a big deal in my book. (And I save 13 ounces over my Double Rainbow.)

Can't wait for it to arrive.

JonnyWalker
02-16-2010, 12:03
This has been discussed in detail in the Gear forum under New Tarptent: this is the Moment.

There's a reference there to the BPL thread on the same.

Henry Shire specifically discusses the height/fit issue: it easily fit his 6'3" employee.

I'd suggest first calling Henry to discuss any questions about fit.

Sorry I forgot to mention I'm also pushing 300lbs with size 16 feet. Height is not my only concern.

Bags4266
02-16-2010, 12:56
I have the Contrail but which I had bought the Moment too. As far as weight goes well I carry 6, yes 6 stakes for my contrail thats four more than the Moment and approx. 2 more oz. So the Moment just got lighter to me anyway.

Grampsb
02-16-2010, 14:36
Got mine about 2 - 3 weeks ago. Set it up in the backyard for a day. It is one sweet tent.

Big Dawg
02-17-2010, 16:17
Sorry I forgot to mention I'm also pushing 300lbs with size 16 feet.

300#'s... me too,
shoe size... 13

still shouldn't stop you from this option, unless of course you're looking for a 2-person style roomy tent. I've got several of those. The Moment will be my lightweight 1-man sleep-only type of shelter.

JonnyWalker
02-18-2010, 00:05
300#'s... me too,
shoe size... 13

still shouldn't stop you from this option, unless of course you're looking for a 2-person style roomy tent. I've got several of those. The Moment will be my lightweight 1-man sleep-only type of shelter.

Problem is I use a Big Agnes pad and I don't see how 2.5" of pad 13" of feet and 5" of loft are all going to fit inside a single wall shelter unless it has plenty of room in the foot area. I have an issue with tossing and turning also. I'm sure I could cram into the moment but I wouldn't be very comfortable in there.

Praha4
02-18-2010, 01:41
I've used the Contrail for several trips, but decided to buy the Moment, waiting for delivery now. I also own a Montbell Crescent 1, and the center arch design of the Moment is similar to the Crescent 1. The Moment looks better, larger vestibule and lighter weight, and better ventilation. Will likely use the Moment on upcoming thru hike. I'm going thru my stuff item by item to reduce pack weight.

garlic08
02-18-2010, 18:52
About the only other "con" I can see with the Moment is the need for at least one hoop pole. One reason I think the Contrail design is truly inspired is that it did away with the hoop pole my old Virga needed, and I had a few problems with reliability with that pole. It's been so nice to not have to deal with that with the Contrail. I agree the Moment looks like a very nice shelter, but if I had to replace my Contrail now, I'd probably get another Contrail. I really don't like depending on a sectional hoop pole, after so many miles without one.

Tinker
02-18-2010, 22:07
If you're only going to have one pole, the best place is in the center of the tent. The Hilleberg Akto was likely (one of) Henry Shire's inspirations. The Akto, though, doesn't have very good ventilation, but it DOES stand up to high winds, and it's nice to be able to sit up without having to slide your butt toward the door. In my Akto I often sleep with the vestibule door open. I like the feature that allows me to open it from the top under the eyebrow vent.
I hammock in the summer, otherwise the Moment would be on my shopping list.

Big Dawg
03-05-2010, 21:43
Well, let me chime in here and give praise to the TT Moment!! I was able to see it in person, thanks to BigCranky here at WB. WOW!! What an awesome design,, Henry's best, IMHO! I'm a big guy... 6'5" & 285#'s, and this tent fit me well. It's not a hotel like my Double Rainbow or Copper Spur2, but that's not what I was looking for. I wanted a solo tent that had room for my pack & boots in the vestibule, side entry, plenty of length for my long a$$ body, ability to handle a 25x77 sleeping pad, very stable in wind, quick set-up, and lightweight. The Moment is that and more!! I will definitely be ordering it soon!!

BRAVO HENRY!!!!! :banana

bigcranky
03-10-2010, 11:59
Just got back from my initial hike with the Moment. Four nights on the Florida Trail, temps in the low 30s (!), highs around 70. The Moment sets up in about a minute, stays nice and tight all night, and has a nice view out the door with the vestibule tied back.

Getting the struts on each end set up properly is a little tricky the first time, but then it's easy.

Got some condensation the first two nights, but none the third night when it only got to about 40 or so. Nothing I couldn't wipe up with a small pack towel in two minutes.

The Moment has plenty of room for me and all my gear. Will post a photo or two later.

Praha4
03-10-2010, 12:42
Tarptent's website indicates total weight of the Moment at 28.5 oz.

http://tarptent.com/moment.html

My new Moment weighed an even 32 oz. total pack weight on my scale at home.

anyone else checked the Moment weight? I haven't asked Henry about it yet. It's still a real sweet shelter, I like the design.

bigcranky
03-10-2010, 18:02
Mine weighed 30.0 oz exactly, with the stuff sack and the two included stakes. I still love it.

Big Dawg
03-10-2010, 18:54
Mine weighed 30.0 oz exactly, with the stuff sack and the two included stakes. I still love it.

Is that before or after seam sealing?

Praha4
03-10-2010, 19:46
after seam sealing, and I realized I weighed it with 4 stakes instead of the 2 it comes with, so that would explain the additional wt

love the Moment, very easy to put up

bigcranky
03-10-2010, 21:49
Is that before or after seam sealing?

Um, I forget. I'll weigh it again and report back.

Tinker
03-11-2010, 00:45
I'm holding out for Tarptent's "Millisecond" tent.

RayBan
03-11-2010, 01:00
Um, I forget. I'll weigh it again and report back.

I used three full 1.5 oz. SilNet tubes to seam seal the one I had, so it added 4.5 oz. to the total.

Rick500
03-11-2010, 01:07
Mine's 30.6 ounces, including the bag and two stakes, before seam sealing.

srestrepo
03-11-2010, 01:29
i'd like to see maybe a video review on youtube of this tent. so that i can check out the inside. unless there already is one and i have no idea where to find it...

Grampsb
03-11-2010, 06:56
I also have one and it is a nice tent. BPL has some good threads on the Moment I know there are some good pics on it over there

bigcranky
03-11-2010, 09:00
i'd like to see maybe a video review on youtube of this tent. so that i can check out the inside. unless there already is one and i have no idea where to find it...

Video tour of inside the Moment (http://www.tarptent.com/moment_3.html). On the Tarptent site.

I used three full 1.5 oz. SilNet tubes to seam seal the one I had, so it added 4.5 oz. to the total.

Wow. I used maybe 1/4 of a tube mixed with a little paint thinner. I like a nice thin slurry applied with a paint brush. Though I forgot to stripe the floor, so I'll need to add a little more.

take-a-knee
03-11-2010, 19:23
Video tour of inside the Moment (http://www.tarptent.com/moment_3.html). On the Tarptent site.

Wow. I used maybe 1/4 of a tube mixed with a little paint thinner. I like a nice thin slurry applied with a paint brush. Though I forgot to stripe the floor, so I'll need to add a little more.

You guys never got the word about Permatex Flowable Windshield Sealant? It blows that Silnet crap away, much easier to work with at half the price. The silnet applicator is designed so you'll use/waste several tubes, it's good for business.

skinewmexico
03-11-2010, 22:05
Permatex was too thick for me. I'm waiting until I can get to my mixer, and use GE silicone and mineral spirits. And a throw away sponge brush.

Grampsb
03-12-2010, 03:59
I had my Moment seam sealed at the factory and with the pole and 2 stakes it weights in at 863g

klpicktown
04-24-2010, 22:09
Who else got the extra pole with their moment? when i set it up with the extra pole so it is free standing that pole does not touch the ground...that normal? and the triangular ends will not stay spread out....they kinda collapse in, and i'm assuming the strap that connects the two legs is there to keep them from seperating too far?? got any ideas?

Tagless
04-25-2010, 09:41
I just returned from an 8 day AT section hike (Springer to Franklin) and had a good opportunity to test my Tarptent Moment. Here's a discovery that I haven't seen posted anywhere...

There are two vents in the top of the Moment. Once in camp I used a small twig (estimated four inches) to "fully open" each vent. Specifically, this was vertically inserted in each vent - bottom velcro patch to top velcro patch - the more reinforced area.

Doing this seemed to help the Moment vent more - reducing condensation issues.

The Moment is a great shelter! I'm very happy with mine.

Franco
04-26-2010, 00:49
Tagless
Those vent seam to self seal when the shelter is stored, so good idea to open them if possible.

Re videos...
I shot a couple of videos of it.
One is about seam sealing it (note that I do more than necessary...) the other is a bit of fun to show how fast it can go up.
Some young fellow (...) should be able to do it faster....
Seam sealing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYjOkxR4sgc&NR=1

setting up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWZQKivY2SA
Franco

Rick500
04-26-2010, 10:37
Do any of you who own a Moment, use a footprint?

bigcranky
04-26-2010, 13:16

No, but then I haven't used a ground sheet under any tent with a silnylon bottom. Or any other tent in a while.

Daydream Believer
04-28-2010, 22:45
Well, I've been following this and other discussions on this shelter. I just ordered a Momemt as I'm going to be doing some solo section hiking also this summer. I'm flat amazed that it could weigh so little and provide so much shelter. As a petite woman I'm trying hard to keep my pack weight down as much as I can and I just couldn't find any other shelter as light and as durable that provides so much space inside. I love the vestibules...and the design looks so practical.

Thanks for all of you posting your pics and videos...it really helped me make a decision.

Tagless
04-29-2010, 10:00

No, I do not.

My wife and I used a Tarptent Rainshadow 2 during our thru hike. We intended to use a footprint, and then spoke with Henry Shires about the need to do so. He shared that few Tarptents come back for needed floor repairs. With this in mind, we left the footprint home and never had a problem. We stayed in shelters about 15 times - the rest of the time in our Rainshadow. It saw some heavy use!

Obviously we used common sense, checking our camp site before pitching, removing sticks, etc.

I wouldn't hesitate to take the Rainshadow on another thru hike. It held up that well.

bulldog49
04-29-2010, 13:23
No, I do not.

My wife and I used a Tarptent Rainshadow 2 during our thru hike. We intended to use a footprint, and then spoke with Henry Shires about the need to do so. He shared that few Tarptents come back for needed floor repairs. With this in mind, we left the footprint home and never had a problem. We stayed in shelters about 15 times - the rest of the time in our Rainshadow. It saw some heavy use!

Obviously we used common sense, checking our camp site before pitching, removing sticks, etc.

I wouldn't hesitate to take the Rainshadow on another thru hike. It held up that well.

I've not worried about durability but moisture control. Ever have to camp in a soggy area and if so did the floor keep out the moisture?

Tagless
04-29-2010, 22:11
I'm not worried about durability but moisture control. Ever have to camp in a soggy area and if so did the floor keep out the moisture?

No, I can't say we ever needed to camp in a soggy area. Higher ground (but sometimes damp) choices were always available. We experienced many long rainy nights in 09. Moisture sometimes found it's way under the floor. This never posed a problem, however.

I think you will be pleased with the Moment's ability to keep out moisture without a foot print.

Daydream Believer
06-01-2010, 19:55
I wanted to add to this thread that I finally got my Moment today. I set it up (very easy) and was surprised at how much room it had compared to the REI Quarterdome I bought before my recent hike. It's huge!...very spacious and airy with plenty of room to spread out in there. I'm thrilled and can't wait to use it but it will probably be a few months before I can get out again.

Storm
06-01-2010, 21:44
I was so thrilled with my Moment that I set it up in the basement with the extra pole to make it freestanding and slept in it the first night. I also slept in it on the deck after I seam sealed it and had very little moisture. Taking it to the Laurel Highlands Trail next month. :)

Rick500
06-02-2010, 00:38
Just took my Moment out for its first two nights of use, this past weekend.

It performed perfectly; I'm completely happy with it and glad I bought it.

It was pretty hot both days and didn't get down to 70 until maybe 11 PM, but the ventilation was great, with the vents at both ends and the two at the top open.

It only rained a little one of the two nights. There was no condensation and everything stayed completely dry inside.

Big Dawg
06-02-2010, 07:36
Patiently waiting for my Moment.... ordered almost 3 weeks ago.... hoping it comes before my 6/18 section hike.

Big Dawg
06-14-2010, 17:17
WOW,,, I've been waiting for this Moment!! Just received today!!! It's so beautiful in person. Can't wait to seal it and take it on it's first Momentous adventure!! I say to everyone, seize the Moment, you won't be disappointed!!!! :clap