PDA

View Full Version : YakTrax

HeartWalker
02-16-2010, 09:02
I am starting my thru on Mar 01 and was wondering with all the snow we have had this year if I should take these or something else. I have never hiked with these but they get good reviews and are pretty light. Thoughts? Thanks Heartwalker

Two Speed
02-16-2010, 09:27
Probably won't need them, but if you do decide to buy a pair find a retailer and take your hiking boots or trail runners to fit them. The sizing guide is approximate at best and if you're in the store you can rumble through a couple of sizes to find the size that best fits YOUR footwear. Fail to do that and they may or may not stay on as well as they should.

Other than that I have used Yak Trax in Smokies from Newfound to Davenport on a January trip. Just what the doctor ordered.

SGT Rock
02-16-2010, 09:42
I started in January and sent them home in February. I later wished I had them when crossing the Roan Highlands - also in February, but only for a few miles here and there. If I did it again I wouldn't carry them the whole way.

Deadeye
02-16-2010, 09:43
They sometimes roll off, esp. on downhills, so it helps to tie a string from the YakTrax to the loop at the heel of your boot/shoe. Otherwise, you may go some distance before you notice you lost one, and by then, you lost one. Good, cheap traction on icy, snowy trails. Avoid walking on bare rock with them - the springs won't last long on rock or concrete.

Captain Blue
02-16-2010, 09:44
If you buy anything get these:

http://www.ice-cleats.com/store/ice-cleats/icetrekkers-diamond-grip

Skip the Yak Trax. I bought a pair of Icetrekkers based on advice I saw here on Whiteblaze and love them! They are much better than Yax Traks. They are heavier and more expensive but worth it. Yak Trax just don't hold up.

SGT Rock
02-16-2010, 09:55
I saw a woman with something like that this year on the AT. probably won't use them much either.

If you do go with Yaktraks get the pros. Captain Blue is right, the normal Yaktraks ain't going to go very far. They are made for walking in parking lots.

Or you could do like Flyin Bryan and just screw some wood/metal screws through your shoes.

skinny minnie
02-16-2010, 10:11
I work at EMS. We had several pairs of yaktrax returned broken this year. Same thing happened last year, too.

My boyfriend wore yaktrax on an overnight in The Whites. He broke them after two days of use. I wore microspikes. Better traction, light, durable and easy to stuff away or hang from your pack. I've yet to encounter a customer who was unhappy with these.

So I'd say go with kahtoola microspikes (or the icetrekkers). They are very similar. I'd say the microspike's traction looks a little more aggressive. They aren't cheap, but many places have them on sale right now, including EMS (EMS online has them on sale as well).

garlic08
02-16-2010, 10:18
Yaktrax are good for a few hours of serious walking, and that's about it. My volunteer fire department used them. They do have a high mortality rate. But if they save one fall during that time, they're worth it.

Two Speed
02-16-2010, 10:23
I guess a lot of whether or not you're satisfied with Yak Trax depends on how much you use them. Living in the southeast and only needing them for one relatively short trip they worked fine for me. Probably not so hot if you needed them for an extended period, and yeah, they'll dissolve if you walk on dry trail with them on. Never tried it, but I don't think rock is required to screw them up. Regular old dirt would probably do the job.

Big Dawg
02-16-2010, 10:24
I am starting my thru on Mar 01 and was wondering with all the snow we have had this year if I should take these or something else. I have never hiked with these but they get good reviews and are pretty light. Thoughts? Thanks Heartwalker

DEFINATELY go w/ something different than Yaktrax,,, they will fall apart on you, even the Pro Yaktrax.

Microspikes are the way to go!

sasquatch2014
02-16-2010, 10:46
I had the Yak and used them for two winters they held up ok no real issues they would need to be adjusted from time to time but I changed to the micro spikes because on my last outing last winter it was real ice not snow. the Yak work fine in snow even packed snow but if it is real ice they just don't have the bite needed to keep you from sliding. I have used the micro and while they are a bit heavier they give me a much more secure bite into any type of ice surface and with the points even do well gripping into the surface of rock. you know the little ridges etc.

Fiddleback
02-16-2010, 10:49
I agree with the above although my experience is dated. YakTrax, Pro model or otherwise, most likely won't hold up on the trail.

Our county roads are dirt/gravel and My Lady's dog walking on those ice-covered roads ended the life of two or three pairs of YakTrax. I doubt she ever got 10 miles on any one pair and we finally gave up on the brand some years ago.

FB

mountain squid
02-16-2010, 10:56
Does everyone who has these things wear them all day long in icy conditions? It seems to me that they would be beneficial when standing at the edge of a 40 ft stretch of ice while wondering how to go around. Slip them on to get over the ice and then take them off on the other side, which would greatly reduce the wear and tear as so many have mentioned. Of course, it would be bothersome to do that many times in a day, but better than falling I reckon. And, if YakTrax would work for this why not YakTrax, especially if they are cheaper and lighter.

What comes to mind is on top of Roan Mt as SGT Rock mentioned. Usually there are several almost impassable icy stretches maybe 40 - 50 ft in length. But once past the icy patch, it is ok walking until the next one...

I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud....either way Be Careful out there!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

sasquatch2014
02-16-2010, 11:02
Yes I'll take them on and off based on the conditions. would I want to do this all day long no that would be a real PITA. Like I said in my post if it is a solid sheet of ice with any real angle you may find that you will still be sliding with the Yak but not the spikes.

Two Speed
02-16-2010, 11:09
. . . Slip them on to get over the ice and then take them off on the other side . . . Basically what I did in the Smokies. After a day or two I figured out I could put a small 'biner on my waist belt so I didn't have to fool around looking for them, pack on, pack off, etc.

Snowleopard
02-16-2010, 11:12
When it's icy, traction devices are useful. General opinions up here seems to be in order:
Best: Kahtoola Microspikes -- work better, break less.
OK: Stabilicers (not the lite version) -- work OK, some people lose studs.
Yaktrax -- don't work as well, break.
Instep crampons -- work well, uncomfortable (like a piece of 2x4 stuck to the middle of your shoe.
Putting screws in you soles -- works like Stabilicers, but not so good in town visits because they don't go on and off easily. Even you shoes are almost ready to replace, carrying 20 screws might not be a bad backup policy.

People often use them all day, whenever it's slippery but snowshoes or real crampons are not needed.

Conditions I find nasty without traction is when there is a little snow covering any ice that's out there, especially when it's close to 32F. Without traction my best tactic is to use my poles to probe for icy spots.

I don't know how often traction devices would be useful down south.

10-K
02-16-2010, 11:40
They sometimes roll off, esp. on downhills, so it helps to tie a string from the YakTrax to the loop at the heel of your boot/shoe. Otherwise, you may go some distance before you notice you lost one, and by then, you lost one. Good, cheap traction on icy, snowy trails. Avoid walking on bare rock with them - the springs won't last long on rock or concrete.

This happened to me... I was hiking along, looked down and I was minus 1 yaktrax.

Deadeye
02-16-2010, 12:17
The durability totally depends on the surface. I use my YakTrax in New England winters, i.e. all day snow and ice, little or no mineral surfaces. Under those conditions, mine last several years. I figure when I thru, they'll last just long enough. If I were to start in January, I'd definitely go with a tougher alternative, such as those mentioned, or Stabilicers

Elder
02-16-2010, 12:30
The Ice trekkers Diamond grips are comfortable to walk in.
Very secure and made by people who make tire and industrial chains.
They should be good for 100's of snow/ice miles and size large weighs .6 lb. Suggested retail is $39.95.:cool:
I think they are the best for our 2-3" ice everywhere storms..just walk.

SGT Rock
02-16-2010, 12:52
Does everyone who has these things wear them all day long in icy conditions? It seems to me that they would be beneficial when standing at the edge of a 40 ft stretch of ice while wondering how to go around. Slip them on to get over the ice and then take them off on the other side, which would greatly reduce the wear and tear as so many have mentioned. Of course, it would be bothersome to do that many times in a day, but better than falling I reckon. And, if YakTrax would work for this why not YakTrax, especially if they are cheaper and lighter.

What comes to mind is on top of Roan Mt as SGT Rock mentioned. Usually there are several almost impassable icy stretches maybe 40 - 50 ft in length. But once past the icy patch, it is ok walking until the next one...

I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud....either way Be Careful out there!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

I only would have used them for the stretches I could see ice for. I wouldn't want to wear any of these for more than a few 0.1ths of a mile.

Mags
02-16-2010, 13:04
Though meant for trail running, this article gives a great overview for traction devices for lighter footwear. (http://web.archive.org/web/20080503033404/http://www.mountainrunning.com/features/february_08/index.html) The only review missing is for in-step (4 pt) crampons. (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___33054?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=33054) In-step crampons are a bit impractical for trailrunning and/or for some lighter footwear. However, if you use traditional boots, the four pt. crampons have proven to be a good option for hikers in icy, but non-technical, conditions.

Personally? I don't think you'll need them on the AT this time for extended periods of the year at least down south.

mudhead
02-16-2010, 14:34

I have seen Yaktrax walked out of, inside, on an entry rug. As well as the drive.

I would never trust them in a fall/slide situation. Even brand new.

Microspikes would be annoying to put on for 40', take off, repeat. I am not talented enough to put them on standing.

The answer is somewhere in between.

jbwood5
02-16-2010, 14:34
I was day hiking this past weekend through the snow/ice on the AT in Georgia and the lady I was hiking with had on her Yak-Trax. Snow kept building up on the springs on the soles of her feet and soon she had a big ball (larger than a golf ball) on the bottoms of her feet. She was slipping and falling more than I was with just lugged trail shoes. I'm sure a lot had to do with the temperature and type of snow, but these things appear to be a PITA except on straight ice.

ATsawyer
02-16-2010, 20:02
Yaktrax are the worst. Best used for getting your newspaper on an icy driveway, providing the driveway's not to long. I love my kahtoola KTS crampons, and have heard good things about their microspikes but haven't worn them.

http://www.kahtoola.com/

kayak karl
02-16-2010, 20:50
YakCraps,,,, things are worthless

SGT Rock
02-16-2010, 20:59
I guess I'm lucky I never used mine LOL.

Elder
02-16-2010, 21:00
:rolleyes: www.icetrekkers.com (http://www.icetrekkers.com)

forgot to add the link
Soon at Mountain Crossings!

Grits
02-16-2010, 21:00
Kahtoola MICROSpikes (http://gearjunkie.com/gear-review-kahtoola-microspikes) I did 15 miles on Grandfather Mtn during the Christmas Ice storm and it was all on a solid sheet of ice and did not have on slip or sore feet. They work well in mud too.
I have a pair of yak traks and they just stay in the truck. :welcome

yappy
02-16-2010, 21:02
I use the pros both here in Ak and wash state. I love them ! they have saved my bacom more then once.....I wear them ALOT and haven't had any problems.

Compass
02-17-2010, 00:31
I like these http://www.cmi-gear.com/catalog/essentials/icecleat.asp .
3.5 ounces for the pair.
One size adjusts to all.
Good traction on ice.
Good traction in 6" of snow
Pack small.
With my trailrunners I can bearly tell they are there unless on pavement or rocks.
When stepping on a non icy rock just stay on your toes and have full rubber contact.

NorthCountryWoods
02-18-2010, 16:12
When it's icy, traction devices are useful. General opinions up here seems to be in order:
Best: Kahtoola Microspikes -- work better, break less.
OK: Stabilicers (not the lite version) -- work OK, some people lose studs.
Yaktrax -- don't work as well, break.
Instep crampons -- work well, uncomfortable (like a piece of 2x4 stuck to the middle of your shoe.
Putting screws in you soles -- works like Stabilicers, but not so good in town visits because they don't go on and off easily. Even you shoes are almost ready to replace, carrying 20 screws might not be a bad backup policy.

People often use them all day, whenever it's slippery but snowshoes or real crampons are not needed.

Conditions I find nasty without traction is when there is a little snow covering any ice that's out there, especially when it's close to 32F. Without traction my best tactic is to use my poles to probe for icy spots.

I don't know how often traction devices would be useful down south.

Screws are the most durable and probably the lightest option. My wife is a marathon runner and will wear out yak trax on one long run. I put sheet metal screws in her winter shoes and they last all season.

Snowleopard
02-18-2010, 16:22
Of course, if you already have a traction device and it looks to be icy, bring them even if I've given it a bad review :) Or, after reading NCW quoting me, bring them even if the review has typos and bad grammar. :(

Dogwood
02-18-2010, 17:08
For the established wide mostly softer woodland tread of the AT they could work for the amount of time you might actually use them. They are not very expensive but they also are not very durable when used primarily for hiking. IMO. I find that they not only come off easily but the rubber stretchy harness abrades and eventually snaps easily. The pros stay on better because they have a velcro strap over the instep. They cost a bit more. Perhaps, a simpler less expensive solution to making Pro YakTrax yourself is to buy the regs and use a piece of spare velcro attached over the instep yourself.

HeartWalker
02-19-2010, 09:19
Thanks for everyones response. I leave in just over a week so will probably make one last REI run and just see..

yaktrax
02-24-2010, 15:45
I had a friend and thru hiker who sent this link over to me today, and I was very suprised to find how much Yaktrax had been tearing up. As we are based out of Raleigh, NC, I have done a few hikes in Roan and around Pisgah with no problems, but I used them solely on ice. We know they don't last well on anything but snow and ice, because the rocks and grime can pinch the rubber and wear it down. I'd like to apologize on behalf of Yaktrax if these have broken on you, and if you need a new pair of YT Pro immediately, let me know and I'll send you one (Bill, e-mail me and I'll send you a pair this week).

For the rest of you that have commented previously in this thread, we have just finished development on the Yaktrax XTR. We took all the comments received on our Yaktrax and what needed improvement to compete in the hiking/trail market, and developed a traction device that should prove to last. We replaced the rubber strands with Steel chains to connect to an aluminum plate along the bottom, with 1/4" teeth to dig into ice with increased security and enough spacing to ensure the snow doesn't collect. In the center of the plate is still a rubber sole, to give relative traction when not on ice. However, I can't stress enough that any ice traction device will typically foul up on dirt, as the spikes/coils/nuts/metal will get bound up.

What I'd like to do is send everyone who has posted previously in this thread a complimentary pair of the XTR when it comes in our warehouse. All I need is an e-mail with your name, address and shoe size ([email protected] ([email protected])) and you should receive something from us this fall (we are still finalizing some aesthetics). We'd love to get your feedback on what works and what doesn't, and maybe even some photos in action.

Thanks,
Greg Stryker
Marketing Manager
Yaktrax
[email protected] ([email protected])

yaktrax
02-24-2010, 16:07
Oh, include your username from here in the e-mail so I can ensure you had posted before.

SurferNerd
02-24-2010, 16:21
Damnit...I knew I should have commented here a few minutes ago. I saw the username yaktrax, and its profile was reading this topic....grubble on me for not saying something. I'm personally tweaking out. I leave for the trail Saturday, and I've gotten some bad reviews on the only ski shoes around here locally. I was looking at yaktrax, but didn't think they were going to handle the trail because of the rubber and the falling off issue. AHH!

Shutterbug
02-24-2010, 16:22
I had a friend and thru hiker who sent this link over to me today, and I was very suprised to find how much Yaktrax had been tearing up. As we are based out of Raleigh, NC, I have done a few hikes in Roan and around Pisgah with no problems, but I used them solely on ice. We know they don't last well on anything but snow and ice, because the rocks and grime can pinch the rubber and wear it down. I'd like to apologize on behalf of Yaktrax if these have broken on you, and if you need a new pair of YT Pro immediately, let me know and I'll send you one (Bill, e-mail me and I'll send you a pair this week).

For the rest of you that have commented previously in this thread, we have just finished development on the Yaktrax XTR. We took all the comments received on our Yaktrax and what needed improvement to compete in the hiking/trail market, and developed a traction device that should prove to last. We replaced the rubber strands with Steel chains to connect to an aluminum plate along the bottom, with 1/4" teeth to dig into ice with increased security and enough spacing to ensure the snow doesn't collect. In the center of the plate is still a rubber sole, to give relative traction when not on ice. However, I can't stress enough that any ice traction device will typically foul up on dirt, as the spikes/coils/nuts/metal will get bound up.

What I'd like to do is send everyone who has posted previously in this thread a complimentary pair of the XTR when it comes in our warehouse. All I need is an e-mail with your name, address and shoe size ([email protected] ([email protected])) and you should receive something from us this fall (we are still finalizing some aesthetics). We'd love to get your feedback on what works and what doesn't, and maybe even some photos in action.

Thanks,
Greg Stryker
Marketing Manager
Yaktrax
[email protected] ([email protected])

Why did I think Yaktrax is headquartered in Bremerton, WA? I am fairly sure that when I first started using Yaktrax in 2001, they were made in Bremerton. Am I remembering correctly?

The reason, I remembered is that my home office is in Bremerton.

DrRichardCranium
02-24-2010, 16:43
Damnit...I knew I should have commented here a few minutes ago. I saw the username yaktrax, and its profile was reading this topic....grubble on me for not saying something. I'm personally tweaking out. I leave for the trail Saturday, and I've gotten some bad reviews on the only ski shoes around here locally. I was looking at yaktrax, but didn't think they were going to handle the trail because of the rubber and the falling off issue. AHH!

I got the Yaktrax Pro, which has a strap over the top to keep it from falling off. It's worth the extra $. (Though I haven't tried them out very often.)

The other, cheaper kind is just for people walking a few yards down the sidewalk to their car, not for hikers.

yaktrax
02-24-2010, 16:45
Yaktrax was founded in Bremerton in 2001, but it was acquired by an accessory company in 2006, based out of Research Triangle Park, NC.

LeeAllure
02-24-2010, 16:53
It will be interesting to see if the new ones manage to stay on better than previous versions. The set I had worked great on icy side walks, but when I went trail hiking,
I kept losing one of them until I attached it to my shoe. I also crushed a few of the coils, which didn't seem to affect the traction too badly.

Lee

karo
02-24-2010, 17:13
I have the yaxtrax pros also but have not used them extensively. I got the pros with the straps after following a person with the plain ones and I kept picking up one every few minutes. I would also like to try the new models to see if they are any better. I don't expect anything free, but will rely on WB members' comments to determine if I get the new ones.

tzbrown
02-25-2010, 09:07
This topic has been discussed not only in this forum thread, but many others.

I have had Yaktrax, Due North, and instep ice aids, all of them have had problems.

When I finally went to the Kathoola Micro Spikes all the issues were solved.

I would be interested in the latest Yaktrax to see what they have changed and what the weight is, but my GO TO traction device will remain the Micro Spikes until I see something better.

Please keep the thread current so we can follow the progress of the latest Yaktrax

Dogwood
02-25-2010, 20:39
Greg Stryker, being that you are the Marketing Manager for YakTrax, it's really nice to see that you have taken the time to address the quality of your product, your company's reputation, and customer satisfaction. It's great to see that you are addressing issues. It's great to notice YakTrax has an eye on product development. And, I do appreciate the offer and your willingess to create satisfied customers. I have sent an Email and will offer feedback on the complimentary XTR Yaktax after I use them. It sounds like you have adressed some key issues in the XTR model. I'm looking forward to see what you came up with and trying them in the field.