PDA

View Full Version : Mountain House Wraps (for filling your own tortillas)

Big Dawg
02-16-2010, 13:15
Has anyone tried these? Are they any good?

mudhead
02-16-2010, 14:18
Have not tried these. Anything "wrap" I am leery of.

Fantastic Foods Black or Refried Beans are very tasty.

sarbar
02-16-2010, 16:53
http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=MHW

Well at least they are staying relevant. Of the 4 types though only ONE has under 1,000 mg of sodium for the bag (it is serves 1). The other 3 are over 1,600 mg! Add in two tortillas and a person has exceeded their sodium intake for the day (most tortillas are in the 300 to 600 range, some big burrito ones are over 800 mg each!)

So do be careful if you are avoiding salt licks.

RollingStone
02-16-2010, 18:32
My daughter tried the Mexican Beef - She couldn't finish it due to the saltiness.

All they are providing is the "filling". It's far easier and tastier to make your own then buy theirs. Sarbar's statement about saltlicks is fitting.

Big Dawg
02-16-2010, 19:07
http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=M&Category_Code=MHW

Well at least they are staying relevant. Of the 4 types though only ONE has under 1,000 mg of sodium for the bag (it is serves 1). The other 3 are over 1,600 mg! Add in two tortillas and a person has exceeded their sodium intake for the day (most tortillas are in the 300 to 600 range, some big burrito ones are over 800 mg each!)

So do be careful if you are avoiding salt licks.

That's not high for a lot of Americans. Heck, go to your local Subway Restaurant & order a sub & a bag of chips, and your around the same sodium intake.

When I'm on the trail sweating my a$$ off, extra sodium would be a welcome addition to my diet.

KnittingMelissa
02-16-2010, 19:58
I'm not usually too squeamish about food, but these absolutely terrify me. Some food is just not meant to be... like that. O.o

sarbar
02-16-2010, 20:15
That's not high for a lot of Americans. Heck, go to your local Subway Restaurant & order a sub & a bag of chips, and your around the same sodium intake.

When I'm on the trail sweating my a$$ off, extra sodium would be a welcome addition to my diet.

Only a few elite athletes need extra. In all honesty the 2300 mg a day touted by the Gov't is PLENTY for even the sweatiest hiker. Your kidneys save what they need as long as you are healthy. What hikers need more of is the other electrolytes (potassium for example). A diet where one has a handful of lightly salted nuts and dried fruit while they have water is perfect - you get a good balance. OTOH, pulling into camp and consuming a meal with say 2,000 to 2,500 mg of sodium isn't the best choice. You want to spread your salt intake over the day to help keep your body healthy.