PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Hiking boots...

Brian321
02-16-2010, 14:38
I am looking to buy some good quality hiking boots.....Any suggestions? I prefer them to be water proof and durable. Thanks.

Six-Six
02-16-2010, 15:06
Two pieces of advice:
1. Unless you are doing extreme mountain hiking, or have severe ankle weakness, you really don't need boots.
2. Go to a store with knowledgeable salesreps and try on LOTS of hiking/trail shoes. Go at the end of the day after your feet are swollen and wear hiking socks.

I would tell you what shoes I bought and prefer, but it would mean nothing to you. Find the pair that fit you and your stride/step. Buy that pair.

beakerman
02-16-2010, 15:21
Oh My that is the wrong question to ask here...eveyone will tell you to go get some trail runners or something like that and some will even call you stupid for not knowing that you don't hike in hiking boots. We boot hikers are apparently an endangered spiecies like folks with pack that wieght more than 30 pounds ;-)

Seriously though footwear is really a personal preference thing. I prefer full leather as opposed to the ones with the fabric panels. I always fear that I can't water proof the fabric sufficiently. I know that fear is probably completely unjustified but there it is anyway. I also prefer the support a full leather boot provides for my ankles.

As far as brand and model my advice is go to a reputable store and try them on. I have found different brands run different sizes and even slight different shapes. I prefer a wider boot over narrower and high arch supports over low ones. You are probably differnet and like something else. That's why you should just go try them on.

I suggest you wear the sock system you plan on hiking with so you establish two things: the proper fit and the proper feel. Put both boots on, lace and tie them up and walk around for a few minutes--I mean take a lap or two around the store not just wander around the fitting bench.

Make certain you are happy with both fit and feel. Also look real close at the lace system. I know that seems trivial. What could possibly go wrong with how the boots lace up right? Well think on this: if you have the plastic or metal hooks rather than eyelets what are you going to do if one of those suckers breaks on you? How long are those laces anyway? I typically either relace with shorter laces or I'll cut them down. If the boot requires an extremely long lace are they commonly availible? Look around the store you are buying the boots from if they don't have that length of lace for a boot they sell what are the odds you will find it in the field? Would paracord work in a pinch or is it too thick for the eyelets? Ideally you can replace your laces with something you already have plenty of to begin with.

Those are the kinds of things i look at when I buy boots. Price obviously comes into play as well as general construciton. I don;t like the stiched sole boots anymroe. I've had too many of them get ripped off over the years so I get the moudled soles to avoid that issue but again that is personal preference.

Ender
02-16-2010, 15:31
I pretty much agree with Z Man in that it's all about what boot/shoe fits you. And his advice about going after a day of hiking is a good one. For some people, the most highly regarded boots don't fit them at all, so do not pay any attention to make or brand. Just try on a boot/shoe from every company in the store and pick the one that fits you best.

Also, FYI, most shoe companies use he same last (the mold used to make the shoes) for every one of their models. So you don't need to try on every shoe from a company, just a couple across the various lines (heavy boots, light boots, shoes) to get a feel for how that company fits your foot.

mykl
02-16-2010, 15:54
I just got the Sorel Conquest boots. They are still breaking in but are comfortable (for me at least) and keep my feet warm and dry well! A big bonus with them is that they have a built in gaiter on top that is very useful and really helps keep that deep snow out. Any they are not that expensive, I paid $120-.

Spot In The Sky
02-16-2010, 16:56
I got my Asolo 520's which i FREAKIN LOVE! from EMS and the guy who helped me there knew a crap load and had hiked everywhere. I tried on like 6 boots and settled on the Asolos- the Vasque were actually more comfortable but had a weird slant on the back heel and even just while wlaking around the store it threw off my balance and i have a weak right ankle which is why i need boots over trail runners so i went with the asolo's which have saved my life many times already on day hikes in shenandoah.

Cool AT Breeze
02-16-2010, 17:46
We still sell more boots than trail runners.

Mountain Wildman
02-16-2010, 18:18
I just got the Sorel Conquest boots. They are still breaking in but are comfortable (for me at least) and keep my feet warm and dry well! A big bonus with them is that they have a built in gaiter on top that is very useful and really helps keep that deep snow out. Any they are not that expensive, I paid $120-.

I also have the Sorel Conquest in Camo, I don't plan on using them for hiking, I bought them from Sierra Trading Post for 69.00 bucks.
Onlineshoes.com had them for the same price at that time.
My hiking Boots are the Asolo Fugitive GTX Wide and I love them.
Originally ordered 12 Regular my usual size but Asolo runs narrow so I returned them for the 12 Wide and they are the most comfortable boots I have ever owned, Same goes for the Sorels, Sooo Comfortable.
The Asolo's came from Sierra Trading as well for $116.00.
I rarely find any place cheaper than STP.

And my pack is definitely more than 30 pounds.
The pack alone weighs 8lbs.

Sassafras Lass
02-16-2010, 18:56
Beakerman - great advice. I too am leaning more towards a lighter weight hiking boot (yes I have weak ankles that roll, especially since I'd much rather look everywhere 'round me except where my feet are going). I'm getting some lightweight trailrunners too, certainly, but starting in mountains in March (we're going next year) does not bode well for keeping my toes warm, so I'm going the boot route.

I keep hearing about Asolo -they seem to have a good product, and I'm prepared to spend around $200.00 for a boot/shoe that makes my walk a comfortable one.

Any more brand suggestions? Of course, with the understanding that it's personal preference?

Rocket Jones
02-16-2010, 21:32
I wear Asolo boots and love them, but what works for you is going to depend on your feet. Keens didn't fit me right, Vasque had the same problem, and I special ordered the Asolo's based on the boot guy's recommendation.

Which is the second important point: find someone who knows how to fit hiking boots. A lot of chain sporting good stores have sales people working part time as they go through school. That doesn't automatically make them useless, but for the sake of my feet and for that kind of money I will trust someone older.

Which brings you to: do some research ahead of time. If you know what questions to ask and already have an idea of the reasonable answers, you'll weed out the sales staff who only care about making the sale.

Good advice in earlier replies. Take your time and try different brands and styles on to find the perfect one for you.

Cool AT Breeze
02-16-2010, 21:55
Check out Keen. They will only last about 400-700 miles, but they are very comfortable and only cost about 130.00.

Toolshed
02-16-2010, 22:35
Brian,
Again most of this info is anecdotal, but I pretty much agree with Zman.
Like the tents and sleeping bags, there are a number of great manufacturers out there and a number of so-so manufacturers.
I don't know what outfitters you have close to you in SPMO, But your best bet is to take your time and try on boots/trail runners to see what fits best. (Try to forget visual appeal)
You need to bring your hiking socks (and a liner sock if you use them) and walk around for a while trying out boots. Most good fitters will first use a brannock device to find your natural length. This isn't based on the sizing where the toe is hitting the end of the boots, but it is where that rounded "bullet-like" slider on the devise meets with the joint of your big toe inside your foot (I think they still call it "heel to ball length" or "arch length". This will give you the best definition of the size of the boot.
Feet come in all sizes and some have longer toes/shorter arch combinations or shorter toes, longer arch combinations.

You want the boot or shoe that tends to break in the right spot (if the mid-sole has flex) and feels comfortable.
As for length, if the toe-box is too long, you can wear heavier socks or use thicker arch supports to lift your foot a bit and take up room. also proper lacing techniques will keep your heel in the heel cup and stop your foot from sliding. we haven't discussed width, but again, you need to use teh brannock device to get an idea and then start testing boots.

Every boot-maker uses a different last,so they will all fit somewhat differently. Many boot-makers even use different lasts for different models of their own boots as well.

Notice I haven't even gotten to styles of boots yet.....there are millions of opinions out there on what works best, but you need to decide what you will be doing and what works best for you.

As for materials, There are Full Grain Leather (FGL) Options. one piece FGL or multiple piece FGL, Split grain leather (SGL) , Leather/Fabric mixes (LF)and all fabric boots as well as trail-runners (TRs) . there are high boots, Mid boots and low cut boots/shoes. also you have a choice of welts (How the boot upper is attached to the sole) - Stitch down, Norwegian stitch-down, hot glue and a few others that I no longer remember.

As for break-in, FGLs made of one piece take the longest, but usually last the longest. the more pieces of leather the boot maker uses, the higher the propensity of failure of a stitch or seam (but the cheaper the price). next usually come SGL, The L/F and the easiest break-ins are usually trail runners

For mountaineering, FGL stiff boots are still the standard for many old-timers. For general backpacking many still go with SGL or L/F combos', though i am seeing an awful lot of trail runners on folks. (FWIW I use Trail Runners on the AT, and my FGL Boots in the Dacks and whites).

As you can figure out, you tend to lose protection to your foot/ankle/toes as you move down the scale of boots. It is all up to the individual.
I know plenty of folks (Including me for many years) that feel you need to look the part and wear heavy boots if you are out in the puckerbrush. I have outgrown that, but appearance is a mindset.
so forget everything else and go try on some boots. better outfitters will allow you to take them home for a few days and walk around inside your house only to let you see how you like them.
As for the Sorel Conquests I see mentioned, skip them they are a winter pac boot and not what you are looking for.
Good luck and let me know how you make out.

Many Walks
02-17-2010, 00:09
I am looking to buy some good quality hiking boots.....Any suggestions? I prefer them to be water proof and durable. Thanks.
No such thing as a “water proof” hiking boot. They just take longer (days) to dry out and are great fun to put on in the morning when they're frozen.

NorthCountryWoods
02-18-2010, 16:06
For mountaineering, FGL stiff boots are still the standard for many old-timers. For general backpacking many still go with SGL or L/F combos', though i am seeing an awful lot of trail runners on folks. (FWIW I use Trail Runners on the AT, and my FGL Boots in the Dacks and whites).

As you can figure out, you tend to lose protection to your foot/ankle/toes as you move down the scale of boots.

Another note on boot vs trail runner.....I've got a pair of Montrail Moraine ATs that have seen a couple thousand miles since the mid 90s yet are still comfy and are still my goto for expedition/bushwacking/mountaineering type hikes.....my trail runners rarely last one season and tend to use them only on the well worn trails.

Rain Man
03-06-2011, 22:30
Brian (aka Ronin),

Nice to meet you this evening at Haven's Budget Motel in Franklin, NC! And with nice hiking shoes so similar to mine!

Have a great hike!

Rain:sunMan

JaxHiker
03-06-2011, 22:39
Check out Keen. They will only last about 400-700 miles, but they are very comfortable and only cost about 130.00.
I liked my Targhee II boots so much that when I needed new daily-wear shoes I picked up the low-cut version of them. Love 'em. I've tried Merrel, Timberland, Vasque, etc and none of them fit my feet right. Merrel is the worst for me.

njordan2
03-06-2011, 23:00
I have a pair of Asolo Fugitive's. They are great and I highly recommend them.

Over the years, I have worn everything from sandles to tennis shoes to trail runners to leather hiking boots and military boots. I am prone to blisters, but have never gotten a blister in the Asolo Fugitives. Currently, they have about 500 miles of the A.T. on them and numerous other miles on other trails and just wearing them around town. They are still in great shape and I will be wearing them on the A.T. again this year.

Mountain Mike
03-07-2011, 00:13
One thing I didn't see mentioned was insoles. I always replace stock insoles with a high quality sorbothane ones. I find they make a big difference & something else you should consider when trying on boot.

fredmugs
03-09-2011, 13:41

I would say cost per mile those are the most expensive hiking boots ever.

fredmugs
03-09-2011, 13:45
Before my first AT hike I was told I needed hiking boots. Being ignorant I went to my local Target and bought a pair that was on sale. BLISTERS!. Then I was told I had to buy some high quality hiking boots so I got the most expensive boots LL Bean sells. BLISTERS! Then I was told I had to go to an outfitter and get them sized properly. BLISTERS.

Then I got some wide width trail runners and I stopped wearing sock liners and hiking socks. NO MORE BLISTERS.

Get what you're comfortable in.

Bearbag
03-10-2011, 18:44
No such thing as a “water proof” hiking boot. They just take longer (days) to dry out and are great fun to put on in the morning when they're frozen.

Many Walks is dead on! Also i read the typical ULer arguments against boots, but why not have the extra ankle and footbed support? Boots are just as comfortable if you find the right one.

As the great Colonel Sanders once said... "I'm too drunk to smell this chicken."

earlyriser26
03-10-2011, 18:56
My old school vasque hiker 2's are about worn out (only lasted 15 years). No blisters. Yes they come in at 4 lbs even, but I have always had problems with the trail runner type shoe. I am in the market myself and may give them another try or more likely look for something inbetween.

jabber
03-10-2011, 20:26
Im with bearbag on this one, I need the added support of boots & the extra protection isn't a bad thing. I am prone to twisting my ankles, not sure why- im clumsy? Don't pay attention? An idiot? . Pretty sure its atleast one of those. Anywho I hike in Salomon Quest most of the time and I love them. It is a completely personal choice, go with what works BEST FOR YOU.

Jab.

Papa D
03-10-2011, 22:46
I wear La Sportiva trail running shoes in almost all conditions - even up to 2-3" of snow - unless you are really heavy or just like to go slow (both of which are fine) these type of shoes are really just fine. I have some all leather Scarpa boots that are crampon compatible and plastic boots for mountaineering, but if we're talking general backpacking, then trail shoes it is

hikingshoes
03-15-2011, 01:18

Just got a pair tonight At Dick's as i was coming from the VA hospital. Got them on sale for 85.00bucks.I love the fit.I also have a pair of THF trail runners and love the fit on those.Im set on footware for my thru-hike onces i sale the HD,then im off.HS