PDA

View Full Version : Pack List for Departure on PCT

Treefingers
02-16-2010, 15:30
Heading out on a thru of the PCT in '11 and was just wondering if i could see some pack lists hikers had upon departure in the desert. This thread is only for people listing there Desert pack list and possibly what your pack list looked like when you reached the sierras

SGT Rock
02-16-2010, 15:38
Check out Maps site.

http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php

Erik The Black
02-16-2010, 22:31
This isn't 100% finalized yet, but so far here is what I plan to leave Campo with...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Erik the Black's 2010 PCT Gear List (So Cal)

The Big Five:
Backpack: ULA Circuit 36 oz $200
Shelter: Gossamer Gear Siltwinn Tarp 13 oz $175
Sleeping Bag Marmot Helium 15 degree 31 oz $300
Sleeping Pad: Therm-a-Rest Prolite Reg 16 oz $100
Ground Sheet: Gossamer Gear Spinnsheet 3 oz $25

Clothing Packed:
Hiking Socks: Smartwool PHD Outdoor Light Socks 1.5 oz $16
Thermal Top: Terramar Silk Top 3.4 oz $70
Thermal Bottom: Terramar Silk Bottoms 3.4 oz $20
Jacket: Montbell UL Thermawrap Vest 5 oz $115
Wind Shirt: Golite Whisp 3 oz $50
Pants: Montbell Stretch Wind Pants 4.8 oz $55
Sleeping Socks: Cabellas Polartech 2 oz $15
Beanie: Mountain Hardware Microdome 1.5 oz $18

Kitchen:
Stove: MSR Pocket Rocket 3 oz $30
Fuel: Snowpeak Small Canister 4 oz $5
Pot: Snowpeak Trek 700 4.2 oz $40
Pot Cozy: Home-made Pot Cozy 1 oz $5
Utensils: Titanium Spoon 0.5 oz $5
Cleaning: 1/4 Scouring pad 0.5 oz $1
Towel: 1/4 REI Multi Towel 0.5 oz $5
Ignition: Mini Bic 0.5 oz $3
Food Sack: Granite Gear Airspace Med 1.7 oz $20
Olive Oil Bottle: 4 oz bottle 1 oz $5

Hydration:
Bladder: 2x Platypus 2.4L Bladders 2.4 oz $20
Hose: Platypus Drinking Hose 2 oz $13
Bottles: 1x 1 liter water bottle 2 oz $1
Treatment: Sawyer Inline Filter 1.8 oz $35

The 11 Essentials:
Maps & Guides: Pacific Crest Trail Atlas 5 oz $199
Compass: Silva Forecaster 1 oz $12
Light: Petzl Zipka Plus Headlamp 2 oz $40
First Aid: Home-made 1st Aid Kit 1 oz $8
Pocket Knife: Swiss Army Classic 1.3 oz $18
Fire Starter: Vaseline cotton, sparker, matches 1.5 oz $10
Whistle: Whistle (on pack) 1 oz $5
Sunscreen: 1 oz bottle 0.5 oz $1
Cordage: 20 feet Kelty triptease 0.5 oz $15
Duct Tape: Small roll 1 oz $2

Sanitation & Hygiene:
Toilet paper: 6 paper towels (in ziploc) 1 oz $1
Hand sanitizer: 1 oz bottle 0.5 oz $1
Toothbrush: Travel toothbrush 0.5 oz $2
Blister Care: Needle, thread, liq bandage 1.5 oz $5
Chafing Care: 1 oz rubbing alcohol, cotton balls 0.5 oz $2
Pill Bottle: 1 oz pill bottle 0.3 oz $5
Pack towel: 1/2 REI Multi towel 1 oz $5

Gadgets:
Camera: Fujifilm Z33WP + Spare Batt 5 oz $155
Cell Phone: Motorola Q 4 oz $100
Watch: Timex Tween Watch #T73751 1.6 oz $17
Music Player: Colby MP3 Player 1.5 oz $40
GPS: Delorme PN-30 5.3 oz $225

Miscellaneous:
Sleeping Bag Sack: Sea to Summit Ultra Sil 13L 1.4 oz $19
Clothing Sack: Sea to Summit Ultra Sil 8L 1.1 oz $19
Electronics Sack: Drypack Waterproof Pouch 2 oz $14
Ditty Sack: Granite Gear Airspace Sml 1 oz $14
Notebook: Notebooks & pens 3 oz $10
Patch Kit: Therm-a-Rest Patch Kit 1 oz $10
Umbrella: Golite Chrome Dome 8 oz $30

Worn or Carried (excluded from base weight):
Underwear: Underarmor Boxerjock $20
Shirt: Smartwool Microweight $55
Shorts: Northface Running Shorts $30
Socks: Smartwool PHD Outdoor Light Socks $16
Shoes: Merrel Moab Ventilator $80
Insoles: Montrail Enduro Soles $34
Sunglasses: Sporteyz $18 Hat: Sunday Afternoons Sun Tripper $25
Bandana: Black bandana $5
Wallet Granite Gear Hiker Wallet $7
Trekking Poles: Leki Ultralight Titanium $150

BASE WEIGHT: 12 lbs 12 oz

Happy trails!
Erik the Black

Jester2000
02-16-2010, 23:14
My pack is ridiculous, so you don't want to see the list. But some things to think about for desert gear (and you'll note that Erik's gear list reflects some of these points):

Water capacity: Higher than on the AT. You'll want to be able to carry from 5-7 Liters. And having multiple containers is a good idea, in case one springs a leak.

Sleep system: It is not warm at night in the desert. In fact, it's pretty cold. A 15 degree bag at least.

Shelter: A tarp will most likely do. Despite what you may read, snakes will not crawl into your sleeping bag with you. You most likely won't need protection from rain, but a tarp will keep some heat in at night, and it's guaranteed shade during daytime siesta if you can't find a bush to crawl into.

Clothing: Unlike the AT, you will need sunglasses. And you'll continue to need them in the Sierra. Depending on your skin type, you may want long pants and longsleeve shirt. A hat with a big brim. Possibly even gloves (they make sun gloves). Many PCT hikers have a set of clothes they sleep in, because they get so filthy in the desert.

Maps: Unlike the AT, you need them on the PCT. Erik the Black has a series of Atlases that are much, much better than what's in the official guidebooks. Check them out here: http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/

Between those and Yogi's Guide (which I also recommend), you'll be set as far as that goes. But whatever you choose to carry, do carry maps (the newer USDA Forest Service maps are also good, but kind of big and cumbersome).

Many hikers worry unnecessarily about the desert. You'll be fine. Good luck with your planning!

sbhikes
02-17-2010, 20:18
Water capacity: Higher than on the AT. You'll want to be able to carry from 5-7 Liters. And having multiple containers is a good idea, in case one springs a leak.

If you are used to hot dry conditions, you can get by with less water than this, but it's good to have the capacity. Make sure when you get to a water source that you drink a liter or so right there. That also expands your capacity.

Sleep system: It is not warm at night in the desert. In fact, it's pretty cold. A 15 degree bag at least.

A 20 degree bag is actually adequate. If you are cold, wear your jacket or rain gear to bed.

Shelter: A tarp will most likely do. Despite what you may read, snakes will not crawl into your sleeping bag with you. You most likely won't need protection from rain, but a tarp will keep some heat in at night, and it's guaranteed shade during daytime siesta if you can't find a bush to crawl into.

A tarp will likely do, but don't think there's no chance for rain or snow in Southern California. There is.

Clothing: Unlike the AT, you will need sunglasses. And you'll continue to need them in the Sierra. Depending on your skin type, you may want long pants and longsleeve shirt. A hat with a big brim. Possibly even gloves (they make sun gloves). Many PCT hikers have a set of clothes they sleep in, because they get so filthy in the desert.

This is true. Covering up in the hot sun is more effective than stripping down and trying to rely on sunscreen. At first you might think it's crazy hot and you'll want to take off your long-sleeves and pants, but if you let the sweat accumulate in your clothes, it'll start to cool you down.

You can dunk your shirt and hat in water to keep cool, too. I liked to put a snowball in my hat to keep cool. As long as it wasn't tight against my head, my hair seemed to provide a buffer against getting a headache.

It's a good idea to have a hat that covers your neck and ears.

Also, it's easier to just wash than change your clothes. Your clothes aren't even that dirty. Your feet and legs will be filthy all the way up past your knees.

Maps: Unlike the AT, you need them on the PCT.

I won't dissuade anyone from bringing maps, but I only ever looked at maps infrequently. They are more necessary in the Sierra.

I realize that AT hikers are used to blazes leading the way and often complain that the PCT isn't well-marked. I thought the PCT was very well-marked. You just have to know where you are going. So when a sign says X miles to some-such place, you have to know if you are going to that place or not. This isn't hard to do if you look ahead in your guide books and just stay alert to the general geography of wherever you are.

I'm so jealous of all of you!

leaftye
02-21-2010, 15:56
I won't dissuade anyone from bringing maps, but I only ever looked at maps infrequently. They are more necessary in the Sierra.

I think most people should still carry and use maps up to the Sierras if only to get more experience with using maps.

mweinstone
02-21-2010, 18:07
treefingers is a god among ,.....people who do something i cant spell here cause of filter tecnology. funny how your fancy dancy filter cant stop aggressive violent spelling attaks. what about thaty?

mweinstone
02-21-2010, 18:08
treefingers, just decided. im commin wit.