PDA

View Full Version : Max Patch Road NC-1182

Uncle Wayne
09-27-2004, 02:04
I'll try to ask the right question this time. I don't have a map that shows this road but the Data Book says it is the closest road crossing to Max Patch. I understand there are a couple of parking areas near the AT on this road. Anyone have driving directions to NC 1182 from Cosby, TN or Mountain Momma's or Standing Bear Farm?
Thanks.

orangebug
09-27-2004, 06:42
Get back to I 40 and drive toward Asheville. Look for the first exit to Hot Springs (I think NC 91) which is also the Lake Juneluska exit. If you get to where I 40 joins US 64/74, you have gone just a bit too far.

On th road toward Hot Springs, you will see a sign pointing left to Max Patch. It is well marked from that point. There are several parking lots in the area.

Of course, you could have asked for the backroad directions to Elmer's, but no one would have bad words or opinion of Sunnybank. :rolleyes:

Bill...

Repeat
09-27-2004, 06:55
If traveling from Tn on I40, exit at Harmon Den, mile marker 7. At the bottom of the ramp, turn left (north east). Proceed about 5 miles on the main road and you will come to Max Patch Rd. A sign will direct you to turn left. It is then 1.75 miles to max patch. This is the shortest route if coming from TN. I understand the roads are open.

smokymtnsteve
09-27-2004, 09:17
back thru harmon den is the way to go,,,keep yore eyes open, there are a few old abandoned apple trees back in there and this is the correct time of year to gather apples ..maybe take a little apple pie spice in your food bag and a little sugar or honey make some stewed apples on your trip, awful good on top of panckes.

NotYet
09-27-2004, 09:27
The road at Harmon Den (exit 7) has several names. It's known as FR 148, Cold Springs Creek Rd and Harmon Den Rd. This quickly becomes a gravel road, and you follow it up until it dead ends into NC 1182 (also gravel), and as said before, you turn left. There are lot's of signs to help you.

The AT crosses the road a bit before the Max Patch parking area (look for an old logging road on the left and a style on the right).

These roads are clear (at least they were yesterday when I was there). FYI, NC 1182 becomes TN 107 a few miles past Max Patch at Lemon Gap. Also, as you may already be aware, I-40 will be slower than normal due to landslides (near the NC/TN border both directions diverted to the west bound lanes..one lane each direction).