PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bags

Sequoia
02-16-2010, 17:20
So, thanks everyone for the great advice on the other thread I posted about inexpensive gear, etc.

I purchased my tent (a single person Contrail) and now I'm looking at sleeping bags. Someone told me that if they were a single woman looking to buy a bag they would go with this one:http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Product.aspx?baseno=2093K&mybuyscid=8478197822&cdf=Recs_MB

But then someone mentioned that down never dries so its better to go with synthetics, so I was looking at this one:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___47950

Buuut, someone else mentioned temperature ratings on this forum somewhere and I was wondering that since I'm a 22 year old female from Florida that likes putting on blankets even in the summer if I should go with a bag that has a lower temperature rating like a 15 degree or lower?

Advice welcome:

Bags4266
02-16-2010, 17:29
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065

I don't know what you purpose is for the bag. But many have thru-hiked w/ this one.

Cool AT Breeze
02-16-2010, 17:40
Down is lighter more compactable and not that easy to get soaked. Once you go with down you never go back. The Campmor bag is a good choice. IMHO.

Cakon
02-16-2010, 18:08
If you order from Sierra Trading Post make sure to use a deal flyer. They always have them for 20-25% off the sale price. If you need one PM me with your email and I'll forward one to you they send one to me every other day.

I just bought a sleeping bag (MontBell spiral down hugger #1) it is a confusing process. Good luck.

Sequoia
02-16-2010, 18:13
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40065

I don't know what you purpose is for the bag. But many have thru-hiked w/ this one.

Forgot to mention I plan on attempting a thru-hike beginning in April

Sequoia
02-16-2010, 18:17
Down is lighter more compactable and not that easy to get soaked. Once you go with down you never go back. The Campmor bag is a good choice. IMHO.

Which one? The campmor bag that I posted or the one that Bags4266 posted?

Tinker
02-16-2010, 18:43
If you're a cold sleeper and live in Florida (have you slept outdoors in single digit temperatures?), you might like to look at some +5 to zero degree bags. OR......bring along a down jacket and pants (fleece is usually enough for the pants, but guys might have warmer legs in general, I don't know).
Just to let you know, I am a very warm sleeper. I can use a 40 degree bag into the low 30s (even high 20s), but I know some cold sleepers, hence my recommendation.
I should also add that inexpensive bags are usually optimistic about their temperature ratings while the proven brand names are usually on the money, so to speak.
I've used a down bag for years, have gotten it damp on occasion, never soaked, and it dries just fine with body heat (adding a hot water bottle helps, too) - btw: on cold nights a hot water bottle should be par for the course, especially for a cold sleeper.
Have a great trip.

bigcranky
02-16-2010, 22:15
When in April are you going to start? That makes a big difference in the weather.

As a cold Floridian, you'll probably want something in the 20-F range, maybe a 15-F. (This assumes you are getting a high quality bag that actually meets that rating.) You'll also want appropriate clothing (which is another whole discussion.)

Plenty of people use down bags and are still alive to tell about it. I agree that once you use down you won't want to go back to synthetic. Just keep it stowed away carefully in your pack, and it'll be fine.

My wife, who is *always* cold, has two bags, both are Montbell UL Super Stretch Down Huggers. She has the #0 (0-F) bag, and the #3 (30-F). Both are terrific bags. You can sometimes find them at a discount at prolitegear.com.

Roche
02-16-2010, 22:48
Keep in mind the lower temperatures in the higher elevations. In an perfect world you would start with a good warm bag then switch to a summer bag. IMHO a silk liner is money well spent as well as a waterproof stuff sack. Now wrap it all in a trash bag. Try to keep that bag as dry as possible.

I have a Contrail and love it.

skinewmexico
02-16-2010, 23:19
Go down. It just takes a simple, not very hard to learn skill set. Western Mountaineering and Marmot make nice down bags. That North Face bag is pretty heavy. Watch Steep and Cheap, seems like they have good deals on women's bags all the time. When you find what you want, www.spadout.com (http://www.spadout.com) is a good way to find the best price.

Roche
02-16-2010, 23:27
Keep in mind the lower temperatures in the higher elevations. In an perfect world you would start with a good warm bag then switch to a summer bag. IMHO a silk liner is money well spent as well as a waterproof stuff sack. Now wrap it all in a trash bag. Try to keep that bag as dry as possible.

I have a Contrail and love it.

I wanted to remind you to seam seal your tent - the GE Silicone II and paint thinner worked great.